Veeky Forums careers

What's your job? How does it affect you at the gym? Are you happy with your job? Would you recommend it to other Veeky Forumsizens?

I'm getting my GED, I start the actual tests tomorrow. Will pass easily.

However I doubt I will attend college because I use steroids and don't want to live in a dorm. I also don't want to attend a community college although I might consider it down the road.

Right now I am considering an electrician apprenticeship. Any electricians here or people that know about it? I would like to work construction or whatever (i.e. not residential) since I like staying in the same area.

Dude in pic was probably a manlet.

That's how faggot this whole board is.

Height doesn't make you a man. Doing what no one else around will do makes you man.

Linux administrator
It neither helps nor hurts my gym time
It pays the bills
I would not recommend it. But that might be because I feel like I settled. There's a lot of demand for Linux admins, but I had dreams once, and being great at scripting, the command line, and debugging weren't part of them.

Firefighter, it's a rad job, lately it's been bad for my mental health, lots of fucked up shit lately, but good gains for a job, swinging an axe carrying shit, great weighs a lot, cardio. I couldn't imagine doing anything else as my regular job, I day trade also cause firefighting pays pretty mediocre.

I'm probably going to teach myself some programming languages so I can get certifications eventually and swap careers around the time I start a family. Any of yall got advice?

so far:
1. I have a python beginner book
2. I will look at some lectures

I agree but it has a lot to do with weight. I would love to be 6'5. Lets be honest, its almost all advantages. Nobody gives a fuck what you lift so long as you arent a stick.

I wouldn't mind being a stronk manlet like alphadestiny though.

>nursing
TMA in nursing school.
Great hours.
Great, great pay.
Able to help lift patients for 90%+ female staff.
Doesn't get in the way of lifting unless you double.

Easly make 90k, more if you specialize.

Framer.
I'm out early enough to hit the gym around 4 which I like, but I do have to eat more because of the physical nature of the work. I find it very satisfying work and make living wage. I wouldn't recommend it unless there's lots of construction in your area, but I don't like to commute more than 45 minutes a day.

What is the best career for a poorfag who can only go into trades or community college or self study?

I only have a few options at this point:

1. trades
2. enroll for spring semester at a community college or teach myself programming

I think I have enough dedication to sit for 8 hours a day teaching myself, I got a 29 on the ACT the only time I took it in high school. 34 on science. Honestly I just hate commuting. I like to stay in my house. I sound like a shut in, but in reality I just hate other people.

if youre going to school and studying medicine, why the fuck wouldnt you double down and just become a doctor earning $200,000+
redpill me on this.

I heard most systems admins are alcoholics.

how much u earn? 70 thousand? I would be fine with that shit if I could sit in a nice armchair and air conditioned room all day.

yes actually I was designed for the purpose for lying among my blankets and keeping myself warm

that sounds cozy as fuck

student
gym cost tuition
meh
yes

>yes i know i answered it in a retarded format

I do odd jobs in a theatre. Do everything from helping set up the electrics, assisting builds with the scenery shop, and working crew during shows Which has a few jobs in itself. I love it, and it doesn't affect my gains too much. Shows themselves are only 5-ish hours a day (if there's a single show) and I squeeze in hours here and there when I have time between classwork. Most people are pretty image conscious where I am so there's a pretty good environment surrounding health and fitness. During shows and their tech rehearsals, there will often be a lot of junk food for quick energy during the 12 hour days, but it's not hard to keep things in check.

I would only recommend it if you have a genuine and committed interest in the field. I do tech work most of the time, but I try to perform as much as I can so I'm always involved in the theatre and it works for me, but I know it's not everyone

CPA
Hurts
No
No

USPS city carrier
I get to skip cardio and halfass leg days
god no, but it pays alright for manual labor
only as a temporary thing if you've got higher education

Attorney,
Doesn't,
Yes,
No.

>the purpose of life is to work for another man

okay marcus

Linux Admin here. I make more than 70k a year. But I'm a specialized subset of linux administrators. I'd say most places you probably would start out 50-60k and move up to 70+ after 3-5 years. My route was atypical in that I basically was part of the unix/linux team for like 6 months, and then they moved me to high performance computing, which is super specialized, so it pays better. Windows admins get paid a lot less, I assume because they get things like ok, next, and are you sure? buttons. Linux admins get a promt that looks like $_, or if you're about to do something fun, #_.

If you're serious about being a linux admin, run linux at home. Most large companies either run SuSE or Redhat, so at home, either run opensuse or centos. We use all Redhat all the time where I work, so I use centos, which is redhat without the redhat logo. It is kind of a pain to use at home, but you learn linux by fixing what is broken.

That is your job. You are a problem solver now. Some fuckwit of a user just blew away the 600 gigs of mission critical data in his home directory when he was trying to chmod it to 777 so he can share it with habeb who sits next to him, even though it's itar/ear data, and now it's your problem. Or, someone just fork bombed a server, and your co-worker jacked up the latest kernel the last time you patched, and just booted into an older, less secure kernel to get it up and running, so now it's segfaulting after grub. So now it's your problem. Or, you've just transitioned from RHEL 6 to RHEL 7, and a user who hasn't logged in in two years tries to run something that worked five years ago in RHEL 5, and somehow it causes systemd to lose it's god damned mind. Now it's your problem.

tl;dr it's all your problem now, and there's no one to help you besides the man pages, Redhat documentation, and google.

Redhat certs are a good way to learn though.

Were you polygraph tested? I had my medical weed card in 2015, and idk if they can find that info on a background check. Also I did dumb shit that would look bad if I were polygraphed. My written test is in July wish me luck

Good luck bro, no poly graph, and the background check want anything crazy here, if they dug hard enough they would have found some of the bad things I did when I was younger.

Is volunteering the best way to become a fireman? Would becoming a paramedic then fireman be a better path?

>job
i work at costco
>how does it affect you at the gym
it doesnt
>happy?
no
>recommend?
honestly its not bad, i make better money than any other retail option and my benefits are second to none, but it takes a long time to top out and make good money and the job is menial as fuck

probably going to go to trade school or something before long here. Just not sure which trade I want to get into or when.

>Job
CPA, Director of Accounting for a P&C Insurance company

>How does it afffect you at the gym?
Unless I am concerned with something at work, and cannot stop thinking about it, it makes no difference.

>Would you recommend it?
Take an accounting course. If you find Accounting 1 extremely easy to the point that you cannot understand how someone could get paid for it, yes. Otherwise you will never pass the CPA anyway.

Cart attendant at Target. I fucking walk alot. Idk if it's ruining my gains though

Electrician here. Go to community college and take the electrical classes they have there, join the union (your local ibew) or risk having to find a contractor that will take you under his wing. Personally I recommend going the union route but good luck on your journey, a trade is the right thing for you to do.

if you're eating enough food you should be fine, cardio will always do you good anyways.

I
also hate my job. Though I don't know many CPAs that like it. I just make too much money to ever do anything different.

Intensive Care Paramedic

>i've seen some shit

Mechanical engineer. Its what I went to school for, which is nice. I absolutely love what I do, and I'd definitely recommend. Occasional long work days hurt the gains though

No joke that sounds fun as fuck...

If that was full time and paid reasonably, i could do that forever.

>What's your job?
Heavy Equipment mechanic

>How does it affect you at the gym?
I average 97 hours worked per week on my 2 in 1 out rotations, so I don't have time or the energy to lift during my work weeks.

>Are you happy with your job?
Yes and Ill be looking to privately contract internationally in 3 or 4 years.

>Would you recommend it to other Veeky Forumsizens?
To some. Its a physically and mentally demanding occupation.

fire cadet

Currently a grad student. Doesn't affect gym time but I would not recommend it to anyone and anyone who says they like grad school in stem is lying. I might end up getting a 6 figure job in the fall but that would be due to connections as much as it would my lab experience. Really hoping for that, otherwise it's a year of TAing as a contractor.

I'm an analyst, I literally spend 8+ hrs/day on my ass and travel about 25% of my work time, it sucks ass for fitness.

Would not recommend except for the $90k salary and the perks, like loads of free travel to excellent hotels and free shit from vendors. So far AMZN has given me a Kindle, a Firestick, an Echo, and put me up in 5 star hotels 11 times

dude if you get a 4 year degree STEM you should already have a 6 figure job

is this higher six fig? i.e. 180+?

I'm a grad student in STEM and other than the location, it's pretty comfy.

I've never had more free time in my life. I don't do anything involving lab work, if that makes a difference.

I work in a factory tipping shit into drums all day. I don't mind it because it is very physical the bags of material weigh 45lbs and I lift maybe 200 bags a day.
I hate the people I work with and am trying to become a prison guard.

Im currently think of quiting my job and pursuing nursing...does it ever grind your gears working primarily with female colleges (ie gossip, cattiness etc)??

Do you ever encounter discrimination as (i assume) a male nurse?

The number I heard was 200, which frankly I find a little hard to believe but that's just what I've been told. I've got several life plans, but this is my obvious first choice.

And 6 figure jobs for a bachelor's in stem is a meme unless you're an engineer. If you want to make big money your options are med school or cutthroat industry which requires a PhD. The only reason this job would be worth that much would be emerging market + state enforced limits on production.

Beat cop (patrolman), trying to become a detective.

Despite the good cardio, the stress, eating when you can and odd hours is really bad for fitness. There's a reason all detectives and SWAT are pretty Veeky Forums but patrolmen all get fat.

Not sure where you're at but in Kansas City, MO they are desperate for medics and hire them on the spot. Some departments pay for people to go to medic school.

That's the difference. I spend about 60-70 hours a week in lab and then more work outside, all with very minimal gains in terms of project progress. Part of the reason why I'm leaving with my Master's. I really have no intention of sticking with it when all my plans don't require a PhD.

>2017
>6 figure job fresh out of school with a bachelors
kek

It's very fun, but if I wasn't in school I could easily do one of the jobs full time (minus crew stuff since that's not as reliable). My school's theatre is actually one of the few professional campus theatres in the US so all of our technical people (minus the grad students) have tons of experience in their respective fields unrelated to theatre work. Like our scene shop boss sold is contracting company to work with us, and I've learned a lot from him. There's plenty of jobs in the tech world, but you need to be really active in looking for them if you're not part of the union.

I was doing CS for awhile and just hated life, but now I get to work a lot with my hands, have lots of fun, and working on shows is incredibly exciting. There is often quite a bit of pressure so you have to be motivated and able to deal with somewhat strict deadlines, but if you've got the gumption it's incredibly rewarding.

Stock Boy/Cashier at a supermarket

On stock days there are lots of items that have awkward shapes/need to go in difficult-to-reach places; If the items are heavy I often have a sore back from not knowing how (if I can?) use proper form in these situations. so I guess, negatively

Only happy with it bc I get to make my own schedule and its usually easy work with idiot management. I can bullshit and drink free coffee all day if I want.

Would not recommend

I am however currently pursuing a career in teaching English abroad or teaching foreign language domestically which I think (hope) would be enjoyable and have minimal negative effect on my fitness

Paramedic. I hit the gym 3-4x/wk as well as run at least 2-3x/wk. It's hard as fuck with shift work, some days I'm tired as shit.

I'm happy with my job but it takes a certain personality, wouldn't recommend it to everybody.

I'm halfway through EMT school and plan on going to fire 1 & 2 afterwards then get a EMT-ff job and paramedics farther down the line. Is this a normal path you hear of? How'd you do it? Any advice?

Yeah man totally when i was in my early 20's i worked for a set designer who was contracted to a theater company...It had all the perks of a manual job (ie being a thinker and doer) except it was in an environment that had me interact with a lot of weird and eccentric creative people...

So much fucking fun man i look back on those days fondly.

Any bartenders on Veeky Forums? Would you recommend it?

>a lot of weird and eccentric creative people
Yeah this is both a positive and a negative. The employees at the school and most of the grad students are creatively cool, but I've dealt with some major retards or massive cunts that threw fits when practical issues got in the way. Most of the jobs are fine and reasonable, but every now and then the twats come along and make things rough. But I guess that's pretty much true of any job

Military. 5 years conventional infantry, 3 years SOF and current.

It is great. You get paid to keep in as fit as you can be. And shoot guns. Blow things up. Jump out of planes. Scuba dive. Fuck the coeds at Georgetown university.

Currently work a machine at a factory that makes linings for stuff like boilers and submarines and the rubber wet suits are made from etc.

Its okay 40 hours of rigorous physical exercise, not had to go into a gym and I'm looking otter mode/aesthetic from just work and whatever body weight shit I can do at home.

I'm happy with it for the exercise it gives me and the results from that but other than that no, not very fulfilling and I've been contemplating enlisting in the Royal marines or some other branch of the armed forces.

inflation makes it even easier

maybe try not being a dumbass? my sister earned 130k out of college and an internship during college which got her 25k over a summer

I'm an artist in house at a mid-size animation studio. I love my job a lot, it's really satisfying to draw all day, and the environment is casual. Definitely not optimal for Veeky Forumsness, though. You spend 8 hours a day sitting at a desk and occasionally the sedentary nature of it drives you a little nuts. I think it's motivated me to work out more, though, since I know most days I'm not getting the exercise anywhere else. For the first time in my life I've been sticking to a schedule of gym Mon/Wed/Fri on my lunch breaks.

A ton of people from my office go to the same gym as I do and I often see them during break, but instead of being hellish it kind of builds some camaraderie. Would recommend for any artist.

H-hi SIR

> A ton of people from my office go to the same gym as I do and I often see them during break,
thats cool. I used to see classmates and former teammates at the gym but most of them didnt know who I was. >:(

you know how she landed those opportunities, right?

Network design engineer

Looking at a long career in solutions architect/cyber security

>Kind of hate my life to be honest
>I'm also miserable most days out of the week

Inventory clerk in the Armed Forces

Pretty much count and deliver supplies all day to different bases. There's a gym at the base and there's always plenty of time to lift since the job isn't physically demanding
If you don't have a clue on what you want to major in then definitely since it pays for school however choose either the Navy or Air Force. Don't ever go Marines

>my sister
Your sister is a woman, and therefor enjoys 2:1 hiring preference.

What does your sister enjoy more, her fat salary or her boss's fat cock?

Paramedic, a lot of departments require it, and the ones that don't have more people applying. I am at one of the last major cities to start doing medicals, sure was comfy here before we started, unfortunately it's a huge part of the fire service, fighting A hundred fires a month on top of other calls wasn't enough work for us they had to add more

Jailer.
I don't know. There is a lot of sitting around.
No, the pay is shit.
No.

Pharma company make 6 figures pretty good work/life balance

>What's your job?
Sales
Negatively. Physically it's easy work but dealing with people all day drains me
For now it's ok and because its commission based you can earn a decent living with no degree or special training. High pressure and business isn't always steady which can be stressful.
Yes especially if you are introverted because it will force you to interact with many different people on a daily basis and develop your communication skills. Also like it not looking good plays well into making sales so an interest in fitness benefits your job performance

Thinking about getting an AA in construction inspection which pays 60k. Good deal or do something else?

>What's your job?
ESL tutor at a college in korea

Free school membership, awkward to see students

Better than teaching children in this country. I did that for a year and it was awful.

Meh, I can take it or leave it.

a) Copywriter/creative in advertising.
b) Doesn't affect me much, picked up the gym to make me feel less guilty about smoking cones and playing PS4 after work. 3 months in and it's been good.
c) Reasonably. Would like to work at a bigger agency for more money but realistically I'm only just starting in the industry.
d) Yeah, it's cool if you like coming up with ideas for brands and campaigns, but it's balanced out by having to do stuff like grind out 50 copy variations for a Facebook campaign.

>teaching English
You're gonna get a lot of pussy doing that.

t. Tefl teacher in poland for 3 years.

Infantryman inna US Army
Field time kills gains
I like my job but it's not good for being Veeky Forums
Probably not

traffic controller (lollypop man)/roadside laborer reporting in

Pros
>I just stand there all fucking day
i get real lost in thought which i enjoy
>when my STMS (supervisor) is a good cunt i can just mince out on my phone and read and shit
>0 gains lost by my job
>islanders are hilarious
>i cant eat whenever i feel like it
>im pretty much always on smoko
Cons
>When i work with the Polynesian crew i actually have to shovel and roll tarseal and shit which kinda kills gains
>gyming after 13 hour shifts can be a pain

wouldn't recommend it long run but for my current situation it's great (just for part time work before uni)
shit quote

I live in my car and drive from 24 hour fitness to 24 hour fitness across the country. I beg most of the day just for food, make enough money to repair my truck and buy gas.

Electrician. I make more money then all my friends who went to college and digging ditches is surprising good cardio.

How the fuck do you manage 97 hours a week? I'm a roof plumber and 40-48 hours kills me already.

>leading a witness during direct examination

>I have also never read meditations.

Why do you define work as solely working for another man in the first place? Hmmm indentured servant?

NEET masterrace
It doesn't
Yes
Yes

Choo Choo motherfucker
Pros:
- 6 figure pay
- shed, wash, defects, standby shifts. (Hang around and wait til a train needs to be turned around, shunted, exchanged, taken to train wash etc)
- conditions eg minimum hours, crib time, no barracks (booked off at away depots)

Cons
- starting any minute of any day
- job will make you hate humanity
- running cunts over

and still having this bad taste for cars lmao

10/10 vagabond

Mortician, I get to do farmer's walks every day.

Security.

I work from 6pm till 2am 4/5 nights a week. Gym is cruisey as fuck, to be worth your money you need the size to command respect from a lesser man but smart enough to have verbal game when the tough guys walk in.

I wouldn't recommend it if you've had a sheltered life or didn't grow up rough enough to handle punches ect.

Handle punches? If you are getting in a lot of physical altercations as a bouncer you probably are small or have shitty social skills, I bounced for years at some of the busiest clubs in Detroit, I can only think of the times I had to put hands on someone

Wew

Three not the, three times I had to put hands on someone

I'm working my way up the ranks as a fish trader.
Truth be told, I don't feel very happy about it, but more like it's a necessity.
When I'm settled in, I'll have the money to travel, hunt, dive, buy more guns, clothes, cars, boats(...), but on the other hand, the amount of work and the responsibility I'd have to the people I employ and the people I trade with and all the other work that comes with a leading position bothers me. I'm happiest when I go to work, get told what manual labor to do, and get to work out in the fresh air for eight hours a day, at the end of which I'm free to go home and do what I like.
I'm thinking to pick up an online course to get certified as a dietician, so that if this doesn't work out, I'll find somewhere to work as a PT.
As for it I would recommend it, I'll say no. Long hours to keep you from the squat rack, OK pay you won't have the time to spend, but at least there's free fish.

Bodyguard/Bouncer. Im Not as swole as you guys strive for, but in my line of work all you need is confidence and a bit of bulk and your good,

>Mechanical Engineer
>Can sit at my desk and eat all day if I want to
>Got the freedom to start my day between 6-9 in the morning
>Can't complain, just that the coffee taste like shit

Engineering is all good, you get a job that gives you the freedom you need for gains and challenge your intellect.

I'm a specialist investigator in my state police department.
My main field of employment is preventing child trafficking and exploitation, rape, murder, and other grisly stuff. Nothing like traffic cops or general patrol.

Because I'm in a very specific area, I work double and single weeks. My double weeks are 76 hours and my single weeks are the usual 38 hours. I earn about $139k a year after tax and it's not too hard to squeeze in 3-4 gym sessions a week.

In a couple of years time I'll be relocating to another area for a higher paying, more serious police job.
I was originally in the army for four years but decided not to reenlist.

I am arising to a man's(me) work(mine) for which I was born

>the purpose of life is to work for another man
3/10 made me reply

If there's a historical figure I admire, it's that mothefucker. He was pretty cash.

I study engineering Squats helo me relax

Embedded software developer here. Worked on unmanned flying vehicle, changed job and now working on embedded linux devices. Doing BJJ 3x per week and gym training 2x per week, skinny as fuck.

Commercial archaeologist in a big city.

Pros
>its what i always wanted to do, love it
>lots of physical activity when in the field
>SCUBA occaissionally
>excavate cool history shit
>early start/early finish
>"ive got a bone for you to examine"

Cons
>i hate living in the city, need to transfer to somewhere rural
>A LOT of sitting about in traffic
>shit pay
>five years of uni to get here
>"whats the best thing you've ever found?"

Didn't finish, my bad.

I'm pretty happy with my job. There's some shit I've seen that I'll never ever be able to unsee, tried therapy and didn't work. But other than the gritty stuff, it's a pretty comfy job. I'm well respected and I love doing what I do.

I would recommend it only to dedicated people. There's no time for slacking when you're on the job like most people think cops do, like I hardly get time for lunch so I have to wolf everything down. Lucky I do IF so I have big meals in a small window.

Hey im and i have some questions.

Im use of forced trained,handcuffed trained, have been doing security related jobs for about three years and have made my fair share of arrests. If i decide to apply for policeing how do i fair and what can i expect the first year/training?

Are you fapping to Hitler?

Chef for sports team.

Certainly doesn't hurt the lifts, but makes cutting a sonofabitch.

I wish it paid more, but it's pretty low stress.

Sure, go cook interesting shit, you fags. It's fun.

Mechanical engineer. It's shit, I just do a small amount of very boring work that largely results from the higher ups being shit, then filling out the mountain of paperwork that surrounds all work. I sit at a desk 9-5, waiting for the day to end, and it's playing havoc with my hips and lower back. Somehow despite hating my life and wishing I was elsewhere I'm one of the better guys there who actually gets shit done, so I'm not sure how brain-dead everyone else may be.

Dilbert is a warning, not a joke.

I'm just saving up money and figuring out what I really want to do in life. Might see if I can open up my own gym.

I organize batches of meat by hand. Which means i walk about 14000 steps a day and carry 10Tons of weight everyday. Its boring and it sucks. It hinders my gains IT could be that i dont eat enough at times, but just the physical strain seems to have an impact on my progress.

Was a bartender for 10 years. The job has its ups and downs. A lot depends on the type of establishment you work in.

It can be a gains goblin. Ive worked in places with 16h shifts and unlimited booze. 300h months. But also in places with 6h days but showbarman crap.

Now an architect, miss the fun of interacting with customers and low stress.

you are actually slow