Chin ups or pull ups? Which one is better for you and why?

Chin ups or pull ups? Which one is better for you and why?

or should I just do both?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_XH6TV4HZuc
youtube.com/watch?v=SfGNjYogpiE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The standard wide grip pull-up Forsure! It hits a wider range of muscles and is great for your lats/back. The chin-up isn't all too different, it just isolates the bicep more... At the end of the day, it's all personal preference I guess... But imho, the more compounded movements are better.

chin up
uses your back and biceps

Pull ups. Just finish off the workout with some curls and you're good to go.

do both stop over complicating things

pull ups = CHAD
chin ups = beta faggot

i can pull more weight / reps with chins so I stick to those.

Chin-ups are basically a bicep isolation. It uses your back, but it's hardly the main target and you won't be failing a set because yor back gives out. Pull ups are more o a compound excersise that hits your back hard and works a variety of muscles in the process. Weighted pull ups are superior in my opinion, and I think in the opinion of most of the lifting authorities. I'd rather hit a set of curls at the end than skip out on pull ups for some chin-ups.

For me, it depends on my goals. If I'm not working my back as much, then pullups because it will work my back more. If I feel like my biceps are lagging or not getting worked enough, I'll do chinups. Chinups feel like they hit my forearms harder too. Both hit my lats pretty good.

It's personal preference and depends on your rountine.

I start with pullups until failure, then another set of pullups until failure, then chinups until failure, etc
Chinups are easier, so you should focus less on them imo, just do curls

Why would you not do both? I don't get it.

You can but chins are basically a half assedbicep isolation. You don't want to do them before pull ups and ruin your back workout and after pull ups it's the same thing, you're drained and doing half assed isolations. You'd probably get more out of doing pull ups and then curls.

it really doesnt matter much, unless one is uncomfortable or your goal is to do muscle ups or some shit

>doing any kind of up
>elbows bent along saggital plane instead of coronal plane
shiggy diggy, isolate a few muscles or your neck shoulders and back at once, why are people doing arm based "ups" again? what is the point

I primarily do pull ups because I want to hit my back and I'll do something else for my biceps later
but on days when Im not feeling 100% I'll do chin ups instead because they're easier

I can do chin ups but I can't do pull ups properly. Should I just do negative pull ups or stick to chin ups?

Jeff says all grips have their benefits.

youtube.com/watch?v=_XH6TV4HZuc

Once you can do wide-grip pullups, it's the best exercise for your lats.

Chins (also close-grip pulls and neutral grip pulls) are more for biceps.

If you can't do either, start with body rows. That's what I did. I was weak as fuck, so I had to start with
>knees bent, feet wide, ass on ground
then
>knees bent, feet together
>knee half-bent, feet wide
>knees half-bent, feet together
>legs straight, feet wide
>legs straight, feet together
>elevate feet on small box

Then I was finally able to do one (only one) neutral-grip pull. After that, got a chair, and did negatives on the way down, and blasted more rows to finish and exhaust my back.

yes that's what i was talking about here i mean im all for varying your exercises i just see normal pullups and chinups having very little real use

note that my perspective is influenced by having broken my right hand over 14 times and having poor grip strength

Maybe work on that grip strength? It's a big limiting factor.

More Jeff:
youtube.com/watch?v=SfGNjYogpiE

theres only so much work you can do when your body was ripped up. im already losing use of my hand in my 30s the way men in their 70s are supposed to experience.

there are dudes with ripped upper bodies who don't HAVE a hand. i'll be fine.

Just curious, why did your hand break 14 times? Unpaid gambling debts?

shopping cart fell on it
fight (x11)
slapped someone so hard i broke my finger backwards
broke same finger again making coffee

How the fuck do i get good at pull ups?
Just practice them every day?

Pretty much, they are a motor exercise

For a few weeks I just did pull ups every day at the gym between every workout I did. Ended yo doing like 6-7 sets to failure. My reps skyrocketed. Finally I'm able to add weight.

You probably have arthritis. It's very treatable. I'm putting my dad through some stuff now, all it takes is some rubber bands and two little balls.

All you gotta do with weightlifting is make your hands into hooks. Think about it, none of your injuries hurt your brachioradialis, they hurt your hand, which limited what you do with them. The brachioradialis is a supremely underrated muscle; it actually runs all the way up to your shoulder, and you can train it every day as opposed to every other like most other major muscles.

If you can use a hook grip or false grip, like you probably do on every exercise, then you don't have a hand problem. That's the same grip for pullups. So it's not your hand, it's your forearms, and there's definitely ways to train forearms with just a hook grip.

doorway pullup bar. hit a set everytime you pass under it, never to complete exhaustion. Also do them every session, even if it's not pullup day. Once you can do a set of 7 unweighted, you have mastered it, you just have to up the reps probably more before you go weighted.

God damn dude stop fighting cunts haha

>You probably have arthritis. It's very treatable

this is actually one of the most wrong things ever posted here, arthritis is not really treatable at all. it can't get any better. you can squeeze your hands to move synovial fluid around, that's all that is happening

it won't be the end of the world if i manage to make some money, they have pyrocarbon joint implants and shit now.

it was one fight where i broke my hand 11 times, i lost the fight

brah, there's a difference between treating and curing. arthritis is treatable. there's plenty of mobility exercises for the hand, plus eating a low-inflammation diet, plus modifying lots of day-to-day activities

if you don't believe that, just get a captain hook hand

Both use your back and biceps dumb ass. Chin ups recruit more bicep and pull ups recruit more forearm but they are all getting worked regardless of grip. Just different emphasis.

>Chin-ups are basically a bicep isolation
I can't believe I share a board with people like this.

Can you just do pull-ups every day?
Won't it lead to overtraining?

depends if you go balls to the wall everyday

Neutral grip for the benefits of both.

Is 3xf too much?

one set of neutral grip, one set of wide-grip pullups, one set of chins is alright

wears my forearms the h*ck out

Which one is best for max reps?

Try it, if your body feels run down do less, if not keep doin them

I like chinups more. They're easier to do and train more muscles. If I want to isolate lats ill just do lat pulldowns or t-bar/chest supported rows.

Fair enough, trial and error it is.

>Chin-ups are basically a bicep isolation.
kys

Are you retarded? If chinup is biceps isolation, then pls explain how I can lift 105 kg for 8 reps with it and why my biceps curl doesnt have similar results?

Because it's hard to find a 105kg cock to curl into you mouth.

t. lifted for 3 months

Same musclegroups used, but in different intensities. So it depends on what you want to focus on, though you can just do both + curls because why not.

>these are the people giving you fitness advice

what the fuck?

>praises compound movements
>claims chinups isolate the biceps

Way to go, mongoloide

Wrong.

Your back muscles are always working hard either on pullups or chinups. By supinating the hands, you add more muscle mass to the lift, hence allowing a greater amount of load and more accumulation of strength through weighted variations.

lol

I see little reason to do pullups over chinups. They're harder for no good reason.

Ill stick to weighted chinups.

boy you retarded?

If you do chinups right, they work your back as much as pullups. If you don't believe me, google scientific research about muscle activation, faggot.

rippetoe told me to do chin ups so I do chin ups

Why not both?

Do as many pull-ups as possible, then switch to chin-ups for a mechanical dropset.

Too easy.

Pull ups use the back more, chin ups use the biceps more. Chin ups are usually easier for people because of that. Decide for yourself which muscles you want to exercise more.

Pull ups feel really tight in my inner elbow for some reason, so I just stick with weighted chin ups, but focus on activating my lats.

>t. never seen EMG activation data.

Neither. Neutral grip feels way better for me so it's what I do.

Remember people like this guy give out training advice here

I do both. Chin ups for biceps, pull ups for back. Am i rite?

yes, because chinups are basically a bicep isolation, nothing to do with back at all

>you won't be failing a set because yor back gives out
Bullsht. You must retract and depress scapulas first, then contract uper back, then pull elbows down to the trunk. If your back is to sore, biceps won't help you. Your chin-up technique must be terrible.

This. Literally no lats activation

This is what the goyim actually believe.

Couldn't even google "pull ups vs. chin ups" but I suspect this is just bad advice repeated.

I alternate each list day in chins and pulls. Both are good. Chins up I do shoulder width and pull ups always a wider grip 3xfailure on each.

I just switch every few months, everyone will be biased towards chinups because ego.

I like chinups but I like that pullups are more stressing to forearm and traps. I usually just do pullups and then some curls after. Also I've found that pullups carry over a little better to the actual movement of pulling up on something, since you never climb something with chinup grip.

Kill yourself retard

both, what kind of question is this, chin ups pump up your front pull ups your back

Second this.
All chads at my gym do pull ups.
Dyel who can't sqaut 90 degrees do chin ups.

yeah bro
also bench is a pec isolation
and squats are quad isolation

retard

that's pretty gay

have you thought about cutting coffee out of your life?