Vegan General

Thread for all vegans and everyone interested in the vegan culture. Vegetarians and meat eaters allowed as long as they won't push their diets.

Other urls found in this thread:

thrivemarket.com/manitoba-harvest-hemp-protein-powder-hemppro-fiber
jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/fullarticle/784788
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16219987
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6299329
jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/486478
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21092700
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21118604
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14561278
m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/6/1032.full
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16087975
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16188209
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12323090
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12323085
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21753065
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2756917
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1628441/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11043928
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3354491
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12748410
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21613354
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16873950
ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11269606
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19103647
m.jn.nutrition.org/content/137/11/2346.full
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/35465
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257705/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1435181
m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/42/1/127.abstract
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/159772
m.jap.physiology.org/content/82/1/49
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21353476
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4067152
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8005079
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1874810/pdf/canmedaj01383-0052.pdf
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7788369
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3137939/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2912628/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25076673
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8442642
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19748244
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3948463
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18293883
ketomotive.com/vegan-ketogenic-diet/
theveganrd.com/2010/11/how-the-health-argument-fails-veganism.html
web.archive.org/web/20160502233453/http://www.businessinsider.com/usda-sued-over-new-dietary-guidelines-2016-1
pdfs.semanticscholar.org/22dd/5f9ef68e2816e27ab51c91130a8b81d58d5c.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Veganism is a shitty fad diet for pretentious twats

>For easy extra iron: cook in cast-iron skillets
is that a joke or true?

great idea!

anyone else big into hemp protein powder??

thrivemarket.com/manitoba-harvest-hemp-protein-powder-hemppro-fiber
why would it be a joke? it's considered an essential TRACE mineral for a reason lol

>why would it be a joke? it's considered an essential TRACE mineral for a reason lol
So what happens? Does microscopic shreds of the skillet flake off into my food?

yeah. what, did you think iron was like unbreakable and literally impervious to damage?

you're heating the metal and likely scraping it with cooking utensils.

>why would it be a joke?

Veganism is a joke. PETA especially lies about so many things, it's smart to be suspicious of them. For example, on that very same infographic, they perpetuate the myth that dietary cholesterol affects blood cholesterol.

>myth
It's true you idiot. The thing is your baseline serum cholesterol is crucial. If you eat cholesterol high foods like dairy your base cholesterol will be so high any further intake won't do anything. However if your cholesterol is very low (for example just what your body produces) eggs will make it rise a lot.

>The thing is

The thing is that it only matters for the minority of the population that's genetically sensitive to dietary cholesterol. Telling healthy people not to eat eggs is like giving healthy people chemotherapy.

Vegans are deficit in b12:

jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/fullarticle/784788
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16219987

High fiber diets reduce serum half life of vitamin D3:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6299329

Vegans have weaker bones due to lower calcium intake and vitamin D3 levels:

jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/486478
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21092700

Vegans have a worse memory compared to non vegans due to creatine deficiency in vegans:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21118604
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14561278

Vegans have less gains compared to non vegans:

m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/6/1032.full

Vegans are deficient in omega threes:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16087975
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16188209
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12323090
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12323085

Vegans are deficit in carnitine:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21753065
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2756917
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1628441/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11043928

>minority
Wat. You know the vast majority does respond to dietary cholesterol right? Only a tiny minority is actually not responsive at all. Once again likely everybody who eats eggs and dairy regularly has a high enough serum cholesterol that it won't matter if they eat another 2000mg daily. When you give babies or vegans cholesterol rich foods you can see it shooting up.

Vegans are deficient in taurine:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3354491

Vegans are deficient in iodine:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12748410
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21613354

Vegans are deficient in Coenzyme Q10:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16873950

Vegans are deficient in iron due to the fact that iron from plant sources is less bioavailable than iron from meat sources:

ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11269606

Vegans are deficient in vitamin A:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19103647
m.jn.nutrition.org/content/137/11/2346.full

Vegans have a lower sperm count than non vegans:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/35465
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257705/

Vegans have lower testosterone than non vegans:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1435181
m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/42/1/127.abstract
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/159772
m.jap.physiology.org/content/82/1/49

Veganism causes loss of libido and erectile dysfunction:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21353476

I'm not even going to read those, I already know half of those are not specifically about vegans and some are cherrypicked bullshit.

Children who are raised on strict vegan diets do not grow normally:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4067152
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8005079

Children develop rickets after prolonged periods of strict vegetarian diets:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1874810/pdf/canmedaj01383-0052.pdf

"There are some links between vegetarians and lower birthweight and earlier labour"

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7788369

Effects of vitamin B12 and folate deficiency on brain development in children:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3137939/

"Particular attention should be paid to adequate protein intake and sources of essential fatty acids, iron, zinc, calcium, and vitamins B12 and D. Supplementation may be required in cases of strict vegetarian diets with no intake of any animal products."

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2912628/

These next five are case studies:

Cerebral atrophy in a vitamin B12-deficient infant of a vegetarian mother:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25076673

Severe megaloblastic anemia in child breast fed by a vegetarian mother:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8442642

Consequences of exclusive breast-feeding in vegan mother newborn - case report:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19748244

Nutritional vitamin B12 deficiency in a breast-fed infant of a vegan-diet mother:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3948463

"We report the case of a 7 month-old girl that presented with acute anemia, generalized muscular hypotonia and failure to thrive. Laboratory evaluation revealed cobalamin deficiency, due to a vegan diet of the mother."

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18293883

>being anti science
Typical vegan

He thinks dropping 100 articles of random shit means he wins. He knows he would get fucked in the ass if he tried debating specific points.

I have better things to do than spend time on your autistic collection of likely-bullshit studies.

The only valid scientific point is "muh B12" and that's common knowledge. If a vegan gets B12 deficient it's because he's retarded.

Hello vegan friends. Friendly reminder:

HIDE MEAT EATER POSTS

IGNORE MEAT EATER POSTS

DO NOT RESPOND TO MEAT EATER BAIT

REPORT MEAT EATING SHITPOSTERS

>Vegetarians
Is there a point in being vegetarian health wise? I have doubts that dairy is healthier than meat.

>I have better things to do
Funny, you didn't when you you were circlejerking before I BTFO every vegan itt with science.

Everyone here should be eating meat and if you don't then life is not for you brah

maybe try linking them one at a time and maybe actually talking about it some. like pick a really good one that makes a very specific case.

if you want anyone to actually listen to you, i mean.

Does anyone know how to hit 150grams of protein in 1500 calories on a vegan diet. I'm getting tiered of shitty vegan protein powder.

Supposedly it is

Well you're not supposed to replace all of the meat with dairy so yeah it's healthier.

I seriously don't see a way without vegan protein powder. Why do you need so much protein?

meat and dairy can be perfectly healthy, depending on the person and the quality of the animal products in question. the whole omnivore vs. vegan thing is silly. there's no reason to hate on anyone for their dietary choices. not when they're making a sincere effort to eat well, anyway.

i guess if you're gonna hate on people for how they eat it should be those eating fast food and processed nonsense. even vegans can eat poorly and we absolutely should hate on the vegans that eat oreos ("omg they're vegan!" *rolls eyes*).

so yeah. let's celebrate healthful food and support one another in our quest for delicious nourishment! xD

>paleogirl

except you aren't a girl xD

kill yourself

Bump!

Ever since I started eating vegan, I have lost so much weight and I'm feeling as great as never before. All you haters, please try it for a month yourself and you'll love it too.

> they perpetuate the myth that dietary cholesterol affects blood cholesterol.

That's not a myth though

>that it only matters for the minority of the population that's genetically sensitive to dietary cholesterol.

That's mostly a myth. It's based on egg industry funded research that divided people into groups based on how their serum cholesterol changes with dietary cholesterol. People who start off with low cholesterol and see their cholesterol go up significantly when fed eggs are labeled "hyperresponders" while people who started out unhealthy and didn't get significantly worse after egg feeding are labeled "hyporesponders."

Copy/paste part of his post into 4chanarchive. The guy spams these links in hundreds of threads that have any relevance to veganism, even though several people have taken the time to go through every link and explain to him how he's misinterpreting it. He's fucked in the head.

This.

>mfw I still am finishing off these big bottles of fish oil, so technically I'm not vegan

No, seriously. It doesn't take much.

that poor lost soul :(

now i just feel bad for him

Try these

keto IF vegan no fap cold showers ftw

no. americans are deficient in those things.
and people are induviduals, u should look after ur own health, and check for deficiencys. wether ur vegan or not, doesnt have anything to say. there are vegan sources for everything.

so yeah, fuck off

:O

how do you do vegan keto? i feel like you're trolling right now :S

generally vegetarian/vegan diets are higher in carbs than like paleo. especially vegan, because you could go hard on the dairy/eggs if you're just vege

Fuck off.

easy.
seeds nuts. nut butter. blackbean pasta. almond flour. i also eat organic eggs.
hemp protein w/ vanilla/ chocolate flavour, mixed into coconut milk with rasberrys or blueberrys.
u need 30% less proteins on keto so its easy

eat a shit ton of spinach and veggies and olive oil coconut oil

wow you eat like that? how do you feel? are you trying to lose weight? how has the diet affected you?

i have so many questions! :P

>blackbean pasta

That's still high in carbs even if a good amount is fiber

>vegan trap !!/qtVBhhQVoa

How fucking mentally ill are you. You piece of fucking garbage human being. If you're going to push a plant based diet, don't be a literal faggot. Kill yourself. The only reason to pursue the surrendering of animal products is to give up the consumption of blood for spiritual purposes like Bruce Lee. Don't pedal your fucking faggot trash here without having a real purpose, subhuman piece of dog shit. MUH BROTEIN BOWDER N SHIEEEEET. Kys.

I tried going vegan but I put on too much weight.

I went back to eating tuna and my weight came back off. Why are vegan foods so fattening?

Sounds implausible

for 50g pasta i get 4g net carbs and 25g protein, and loads of fiber. not that bad imo
it feels amazing . keto is amazing. i can eat berryes and lemon water too. i often make protein fudge from nut milk, coconout oil almond flour and ppowder from hemp. its delicious.

basicly u need 30% less protein coz of keto and all ur energy comes from fat, so u only full up on fiberious veggies and stuff. so u eat "less" and feel more energized.

>for 50g pasta i get 4g net carbs and 25g protein, and loads of fiber

I gaurantee your pasta is not 50% protein by weight

i actually found this:

ketomotive.com/vegan-ketogenic-diet/

looks very interesting. when i think of high fat vegan foods my mind immediately goes to avocados lol. and ofc they mentioned those a lot, but what's really interesting are the protein sources. it really looks like a LOT of tofu, and looking at the other foods i feel like it's not even possible to meet protein needs without eating so many carbs that you're unable to maintain ketosis.

would really like to hear more from vegetarian keto person, but i guess they eat eggs so maybe that's how.

tl;dr: vegan keto = TOFU

oh there you are!

Tuna 100g = 25.51g protein

ur right. it s45g.

it is because 30% of ur protein gets turned into carbs or burnt as fuel when u are NOT in ketosis.
when in ketosis u get constant energy, and protein gets treated as protein only. i believe i read it on ketogains.

i usually track my calories and protein. take supplements for B C D K magnesium calcium iron. and others that arent that " related ".
First month i'm at 20-25 g. after a while u can go as high as 50g if ur active and have been on keto for a while, without being put out of ketosis.

but, NO fast carbs. only complex. and stay away from suger alcohols and diet sodas, they CAN spike ur insulin to knock you out of keto. this is different between people and studies, but u feel it right away if it knocks u out. better eat clean

what is mercury poisoning

been vegan now for months and havent felt any different in 'energy levels' (everyone says they feel better, if anything im more tired) Anything to do to increase 'energy'? more calories?

basicly i eat 500g of spinach and 200g almonds/walnuts everyday, as a base. and i put MCT oil and cinnamon in my coffee. and lots of nut butter.

then various delicious vegetable dishes or salads with cucumber bell pepper avocado spinach any leafy veg broccoli cauliflower zucchini tomatoes aspargus and any kind of mushroom.

put olive oil and spices, then some lemon juice on salads. its delicious. u can also fill any vegan yoghurt like coconut with some hemp proteinpowder with flavour and seeds/nuts and berries. i also juice the fuck out of any low cal green veggies with tumeric or ginger and black pepper.

>even vegans can eat poorly and we absolutely should hate on the vegans that eat oreos ("omg they're vegan!" *rolls eyes*)

This is exactly why vegan threads don't belong here. The health argument for veganism is flimsy, and the people who convert for lofty promises of cancer-free immortality rather than because of a moral imperative have the highest risk of recidivism.

theveganrd.com/2010/11/how-the-health-argument-fails-veganism.html

i think ur retarded if u dont feel better without meat and dairy. maybe u dont tolerate gluten or something else, so ur always shitty

Id rather feel like shit then eliminate gluten from my diet, gluten free vegan would be a nightmare

nah it isnt. its alot better

IIRC the latest is that gluten allergies aren't real. It's wheat people have issues with.

>please spoon feed me because I'm too defensive to look at the evidence myself

Yet another tripcode that must be filtered, what a pain.

Everyone ITT should read The Vegetarian Myth. I was a vegetarian for almost 10 years and it really opened my eyes.

I'm not going to spoofed you and explain this to you like your are three.

Read the studies. If you don't understand something, google it

Stop fighting and post more infographics please, I want to convert to vegetarianism and I need information but also I'm too lazy to read about it so the infographics works great for me

The lady who wrote it is insane though

do you even see the ethical side of food choices?
there's most certainly reason to hate on people for their dietary choices, there's not just health.
>meat and dairy can be perfectly healthy
how can you be PERFECTLY healthy by ingesting food that causes heart-disease, cancer?

web.archive.org/web/20160502233453/http://www.businessinsider.com/usda-sued-over-new-dietary-guidelines-2016-1

>meat and dairy
>causing heart disease and cancer

Heavily implying. Correlation =! Causation

you are fake news

>how can you be PERFECTLY healthy by ingesting food that causes liver disease, dementia?

You're an idiot.

>claims milk and meat cause cancer
>calls others idiots

K

>science shows increased cancer risk with meat/dairy consumption
>deny this for no substantiable reason
>call others idiots for accepting reality

Why do you think it's fun to pretend anyone is calling alcohol healthy?

>OK im going vegan, now how do I replace all the good parts of eating meat? Id hate to pay for an operation!

Just fill up on veggies and have some meat you special snowflake mother fucker

Also dairy is great for growing bitch tits totally unnecessary

Not that user, but literally flouride traces in water can give you cancer, chemicals used to clean vegetables can give you cancer, consumption of anything can give you cancer. Equating having a meal with meat/dairy to "gonna get CANCER!!!" is the definition to correlation = causation

>everything gives you cancer, nothing matters

The lengths you people go to.

How do you bulk as a vegetarian/vegan?

I imagine the volume of food that youd have to eat would make anyone want to kill themselves

Gallon of Olive Oil A Day

Why do you think it's fun to miss the point?Vegans are intellectually dishonest, and will only acknowledge that dangerous food can be enjoyed in moderation when that food is vegan.

Who said anything like that? You're arguing a strawman

Not a vegan but I'm bored

>deficient in B12
If they don't take a supplement they are dumbshits
>High fibre --> decrease half life of D3
high fibre is not specific to vegan, everyone should be consuming high amounts of fibre. The benefits far outweigh a potential decrease D3 half-life
>Vegan weaker bones
First study compares skinny raw vegetarians likely not being conscious of their calcium intake, to typical overweight american that NEED stronger bones. Second study can simply be another case of participants not being aware of their calcium intake. It's not as if you can't get calcium on a vegan diet like B12
>Vegans have a worse memory compared to non vegans due to creatine
These studies were actually really interesting and make me want to take creatine again. Perhaps more vegans should

>Vegans have less gains
> no attempt was made to match or balance the total energy or macronutrient (protein, carbohydrate, or fat) intakes of any of the men in the study
Although this might be true due to protein bioavailability of lower vegan intake of leucine, isoleucine and valine but the study you linked says nothing really
>Vegans are deficient in omega threes
Take flax seeds or DHA supplement
>Vegans are deficit in carnitine
Carnitine increases atherosclerosis independent of cholesterol and yes some people have a systemic deficiency and can't produce any so of course they have to eat meat.

Seems like the average Vegan has deficiencies in a few areas but if you are conscious of you diet and intake of typical vegan deficiencies, you wont suffer any negative health affects while retaining the postivies

>These studies were actually really interesting and make me want to take creatine again. Perhaps more vegans should

He's misinterpreting it. It's not "vegans have worse memory because of creatine deficiency," the study involved vegetarians and meat eaters, and they had equal memory skills at the start of the study, but creatine seemed to boost the memory skills of the vegetarians while it seemed to make the omnivores worse for some reason.

Black bean noodles are pretty high in protein, low carb too. They taste a little like beans but not much. Trader Joe's has a black bean rotini, but I've seen better macros on noodles in asian markets/amazon.

Do you know how to read?

The vegetarians showed a boost in memory when given creatine supplements, showing that a deficiency in creatine causes worse memory. Vegetarian and vegan diets cause a deficiency in creatine, thus the vegetarian and vegan diets cause a worse memory compared to non vegetarians and non vegans.

You're reading it incorrectly because you only glanced at the abstract and made your own out of context interpretation.

pdfs.semanticscholar.org/22dd/5f9ef68e2816e27ab51c91130a8b81d58d5c.pdf

They started out the same, but creatine made the omnivores' performance worse. It didn't correct a difficency in the vegetarians that led to increased brain performance.

No, did in fact make the 'moderation is impossible' argument.

>did in fact make the 'moderation is impossible' argument.

You said "Vegans are intellectually dishonest, and will only acknowledge that dangerous food can be enjoyed in moderation when that food is vegan."

Who made that argument?

Vegans do it in general. I'm glad you, unlike the others, and especially unlike , can admit that including animal products in your diet doesn't threaten health or longevity,

>Vegans do it in general.

So nobody in particular who posted in this thread. Just a strawman.

>how can you be PERFECTLY healthy by ingesting food that causes heart-disease, cancer?

This is what I am arguing with. My argument is

>You can eat plenty of food correlated with disease safely by eating it in moderation. That includes dangerous vegan poisons that you don't think twice about.

Refute that argument.

Your counter-argument to what the guy said was an unrelated strawman argument. Falling back by saying your real argument was another fallacy, argument to moderation, isn't much better.

>I cannot refute your argument.

'k

For gains, obviously

Good luck eating all that cabbage phaggot

Your supposed argument wasn't even an argument in the first place. The guy posed a question and you made a claim without any evidence.

>the Republicans
but government interfering in the market is and always has been a thing endorsed and enacted largely by Democrats.