Is touchin muh chest necessary?

Veeky Forums what the fuck is wrong with me? when i bench press i can hammer out reps when i JUST break 90. but when i touch my chest it gasses me out way too quick. ive been benching bar to chest for years trying to correct this "problem" but i think im just not built in a way where touching the bar to my chest is fucking necessary. same with push ups when i go to my PST's. the Chief demands we do chest to deck instead of chest to fist.
Its tough to crank out 70 chest to deck but chest to fist i can get 80-85. i always train touchin my chest to the deck or bar to chest but i've fuckin plateaued. the fuck do i do?

>can do more reps when you only do half of the movement
No shit retard. Always touch your chest or you're not bench pressing.

try being helpful retard. there are tons of fucking assholes from all ends of the spectrum saying its not necessary and has little to no extra benefit and then there are fat 350 lbs power lifters who are 2 feet wide and 2 feet thick that dont break 90 when the the bar touches there chest saying "gotta touch ur chest DYEL pussy fag lololololololololol MUSCLE MILK!"

>coping this hard
Touch your chest fag, you asked a question, so stop crying about the response you get just because you don't like it

If you're benching, that's literally how you bench, by touching the barbell to your chest. What you're doing is the equivalent of quarter squatting or dropping the barbell at your knees when deadlifting. "Breaking 90" is a pussy excuse to not actually do the movement properly.

>touch ur chest fag lel
not an answer.

> OP: "Is it okay if I don't touch the bar to my chest?'
> no you're quarter repping
> OP: "F-F-FUCK YOU MAN YOU MUST BE ONE OF THOSE POWERLIFTERS WITH NO ROM"

yes it is necessary.

>breaking 90
>quarter repping
pick one

Do what's best for your body mechanics. If your mobility is good and it's not comfortable to touch your chest (i.e. you're a lanklet with long arms) then don't. Go down as far as your body tells you to go.

Egolifting is fucking cancer and it's how you get injured.

Why did you fucking ask the question if you're just going to attack anyone trying to give you actual advise? Stop trying to trick yourself, you're not going to get any of your confirmation bias on this site. Enjoy no gains, you fucking queer.

Being weaker at full rom is not a indicator that you should half rep though.

Disregard the uneducated troll comments. hitting/barely breaking 90 is actually ideal. Not everyone has the same length arms, or girth around their chest.

The "hurr durr everyone needs to touch their chest" meme needs to fucking die already. That's not what defines a full ROM with bench presses. All you're doing is putting all the load into your shoulders/rotator cuff and allowing for impingement.

>when i touch my chest it gasses me out way too quick.
That's because doing the exercise properly, instead of cheating, is harder! wow go figure!

You're bad at benching. Stop trying to delude yourself down this rabbit hole and start benching correctly OP

There is more activation of your chest at the bottom of the rep. You're probably who lifting. Drop the weight and fix your form or enjoy wondering where your chest gains are.

Try resting the bar on your neck until failure

meant for

As seen here, the person is at parallel. This is a board press allowing you to lift more. What you are doing is essentially a board press without a board, you are not doing a proper bench press.
7/10 op, tell for the bait

>Being weaker at full rom is not a indicator that you should half rep though.
I agree, that was more of a general statement. If touching your chest hurts then fix your mobility. If you do that and it still hurts, then don't fucking touch your chest. Unless you want to compete then that last half inch really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

>why are u attacking me bls no booly
because these are just memey answers from a bored retard looking for an excuse to use meme arrows.
a guess or an explanation to why it gasses me out so bad even though ive been training bar to chest for years might be helpful. not
>lol ROM fag lelelel

i go down further than that

see
and then delete thread and feel bad

Theres "being weaker" and there's being a lanklet with long arms. There is an absolutle mechanical disadvantage to lanklets benching. If I touch my chest while benching for example, I have to flare my elbows because I simply cant contract my arms anymore. So yeah, no, go fuck yourself

>Why does it gas me out so bad
Because the bottom 1/3 of the movement is the hardest and you're using full ROM

not trying to delude myself tho. ive been benching bar to chest for a while as i said above and i've seen so improvement at all. i've lowered the weight and what not but still no fucking gains. i only feel it in my shoulders at the bottom of the rep anyway

No OP you don't have to touch your chest :)
You can do whatever you want because you are my special baby! I love you forever and you will always be my special baby. Any way you do the exercise is right because you're always right :)

There are you happy now? Have you been sufficiently babied, you stupid fuck?

Lifts? BW? Height? Time lifting? Current programming?

Learn 2 form

>taking the time to be this fucking cringey

I'm 6'3" and I have 34" arms. I know my arms are longer than yours.

I can keep my arms at 75 degrees without flaring out to 90. I bench press 2.5 plates. Stop making excuses OP, your thread is pathetic.

OP absolutely destroyed. Had to resort to reddit memes to save his ego. Sad!

Maybe don't start a fucking thread with a question if you are going to reject every good answer.

bench: 185 squat: 275 dead lift :385
170 lbs
5'11 manlet
3yrs a lift
doing progressive overload kinda program

>touch ur chest fag lelel
>good answer
pick one

>3 years lifting
>185 bench
>The rest of your lifts
Jesus Christ man

>Progressive overload kinda program
Do you have anything more descriptive than that? Because that means basically nothing.

Are you a centaur bro?

Also every lifting program is progressive overload, that literally just means you make the numbers go up

Remember guys, you want to touch your chest with the BAH BELL for that full range motion

>I will cherrypick the answers I want

You're gonna make it

In all seriousness, you're retarded.

You've been explained by multiple people that the bottom part of the exercise is the hardest part. You even admitted this yourself because you said in the OP that you can only do baby weights if you go all the way down. Hm, I wonder why? Oh yeah because IT'S HARDER you stupid fucking faggot.

You're not even WORKING THE CHEST when you do a half rep, you're working TRICEPS. I'm done fucking holding your hand you stupid fucking BABY, if you want to have shit muscles and shit chest development forever then keep being a baby bitch making excuses. I bet you're fat too.

>a guess or an explanation to why it gasses me out

Here's one:

You're fucking WEAK.

Get stronger, dipshit.

I'll probably be the 1000th person tell you this, but yes, you need to touch your chest (or at least almost touch it),otherwise you're half repping and halfrepping is a waste of time

start with an empty barbell, check your form and add weight only if and when you can touch your chest

and stop crafting bullshit excuses

Pls b kilograms

Wow sure smells like summer in here

Your form is wrong if you are putting stress on your shoulders.

The problem is you have a weak chest. Ensure you're retracted your scapula properly.

If you've really plataued drop the weight a bit and do pause benching or benching off of pins to help your strength out of the bottom.

Always touch chest unless you're not doing it intentionally for a variation like in a spoto press.

I don't care about whether the bar touches your chest or not.

But make sure to tuck your shoulders and arch, or else you will end in shoulder destruction city. pic

This seems as good a place to ask as any, but does the same ROM apply to flat DB bench?

Yes. DB bench is already a partial once you get to the larger ones.

>can I get full credit for something that I'm unwilling or unable to do?
Millennials are the worst.

I cannot watch these kinds of videos for the life of me. As soon as he dropped the barbell I had to stop. Anyone else pussy out on this?

what the fuck happened here

He ded

dudebro was more concerned with his hat, his gloves, his tats and his bands than his form

Looks like he dislocated his shoulder

nobody is mentioning this
>170lbs at 5'11
boi
Unless you're 10% bf, it's time to stop being a twink

90 what? Pounds? Reps?

Do it right and you'll get results and make progress. Do it wrong, and you'll look like an idiot and get no where.

Yes you have to touch your chest, that's how you activate your pecs the best, and increase range of motion in general increases muscles worked.

If you're doing 90 reps, you're fucking insane and there's zero reason to do that many. If you're doing 90lbs, then just eat more and do the lift right and you'll make progress.

He meant 90 degrees.

6'7" here
I don't touch chest, but go about a few centimetres above, touching feels like I'm relaxing my arms and makes getting back up an unnecessary struggle. Do what's best for you, but test out with a lower weight on a warmup. If you can't replicate the maneouver as you would then, you should not be escalating.

I have the same problem with squats and going to parallel on madcow top sets. Stalling rn until I get form back on control.

Used to only go 90. Got up to 2pl8 that way. Kept getting told it doesnt count. Started at 185 touching chest. Now I'm up to 295 still touching chest. Its really not that difficult to just do it and you dont have to worry about your reps "not counting." If you think the exercise is just as good going 90 then go 90 and ignore others.