What REALLY costs more, Healthy food or Junk Food?

Also, what healthy/junk foods are god tier in your opinion?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26143683
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28338764
youtube.com/watch?v=VpPDVqMltx8&feature=youtu.be
hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2015/11/03/report-says-eating-processed-meat-is-carcinogenic-understanding-the-findings/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I try to eat a bowl of oats with oj every morning and night

Healthy food is cheap, delicious gourmet healthy food isn't.

People either need to learn to cook good tasting healthy food or have discipline when eating delicious garbage.

depends on if you're eating organic out of season produce or not.

you can eat clean and healthy on the cheap but its not gonna be huge multi ingrediant meals. a normal protein + veggie + carb meal is much cheaper than something like a lasagna with multiple parts

Healthy food is cheap and plentiful everywhere in the developed world. Anyone who wants to eat it can easily do so.

Healthy food is cheaper by far, but you have to put time and effort into preparing it

Junk food is way more expensive, it's like three bucks for a pound of licorice but only two bucks for a pound of apples. It sucks because it means I have to break a ten to make my apple licorice waffles

healthiest food is practically free. rice, pasta, noodles, potatos, beans.

what healthy foods are the most bang for your buck then?

I just bought enough veggies for a week for 15 leafdollars. How the fuck is that expensive. Add some chicken, eggs, bag of rice, and you get full meals.

Probably potatoes, you can get a 10kg sack for a few bucks and people have lived off potatoes only without problems.

It's not that simple because most ordinary foods can't simply be categorized as healthy or unhealthy. A better dichotomy would be unprocessed vs processed, and on a per-calorie basis, unprocessed or minimally processed foods, especially carbohydrates and fats, are much cheaper. Rice, beans, potatoes, oil, etc are stupidly cheap and could be considered "healthy" in most contexts.

A lot of healthy foods are among the cheapest foods

>sweet potatoes, beans, oats, lentils, carrots, brown rice, most leafy greens, oranges, etc

It's only expensive if you want to eat a bunch of out of season fruit/veg, or buy already prepared meals.

potatos / beans for starches
onions / carrots / celery / cabbage is usually pretty cheap too
brussels sprouts usually go on sale because people dont buy them so grocery stores usually mark them down every thursday before they throw them out (find out when places get in veggie shipments, ask people in the department when they usually spoil / what the shelf life on things is)

chicken is usually the cheapest protein unless yosu have a large muslim/indian population in your area which will make goat meat pretty cheap

Brussel sprouts, but they're a pain becasue you have to fucking cut them but they taste so good.

costs more per what? per calorie?

"""healthy""" food.

if you buy it pre-prepared, "healthy" food is more expensive. if you're willing to make your own food from whole ingredients like buying the beans and rice yourself, cooking from fresh healthy ingredients is best bang for your buck

Daily reminder that """"healthy""""" food is a giant meme.

""""""quality posting"""""

forgot to mention that if you live in or around an area with a strong ethnic majority there will usually be a market that caters to them and will sell the staples to their food much cheaper than chain stores like Vons. Asian markets are GOAT for produce and fish, etc...

frozen meat and veg is dirt cheap
fresh meat and veg is so-so
ready to eat meat and veg is expensive

learn to fucking cook

Go on, show some research that consists of more than one aberrant paper that was later debunked anyway showing some food is "healthy" and others aren't. I'll wait.

xD

Is this the new go-to shitposting strategy? Asking for proves and studies while talking bullshit and not saying anything? I've seen that in a few threads lately.

The correct word would be unprocessed food. "Organic" shit is indeed a meme.

This, pretty much.

I hate the taste of frozen shit though, I don't mind preparing my food if I can get it fresh.
If I got over my distaste for frozen I could eat $20 a week.

people that think healthy food is expensive are the least intelligent people on the planet and deserve to be fat.
>beans, rice, green veg, seasonal fruit cheap as fuck
>organic Xtra healthy non-GMO gluten-free rice-cakes, expensive as fuck
they think "healthy" food has to have "healthy" on the label because they're too stupid to educate themselves in the age of the goddamned internet

seasoning

No, it's this new thing called logic where if you want to make a claim like food x is bad you need to actually prove it.

I go to the store and get 3 days worth of broccoli, sweet potato, chicken, onion, garlic, black beans, jerky, eggs, and water for like $27. That's like the price of one large pizza + tip and less than $10 a day. Sometimes additional expenses are milk, oats, olive oil, rice, and butter. Eating healthy is definitely cheaper, anyone who says otherwise doesn't know how to eat and doesn't know how to shop.

>eating healthy
>butter, beef jerky, eggs

>butter and eggs are bad
shoo shoo pork lobbiest

pretty much this tho id add rice and oats to cheap starches
and for protein eggs are the best, then milk and milk related products and finally meats from deals, like where i live i can get some pretty good deals on pork, sometimes cheaper than poultry deals, herring and mackerel are not as cheap but from time to time they're ok if you need variety and/or fish in your diet

Pork isn't good either my friend ~

I don't think anyone specifically did that, but sure. Some foods aren't good for your health. Processed meat for example is high in sodium, usually saturated fat, and is preserved with nitrates that increase its carcinogenicity, making it a cause of several types of cancer and cardiovascular disease.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26143683

Other foods, like fruits and vegetables, which are rich in antioxidants and fiber, improve your health and make you less likely to develop such diseases.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28338764

shoo shoo beef lobbiest

>and for protein eggs are the best, then milk and milk related products and finally meats from deals, like where i live i can get some pretty good deals on pork

Let's keep it about healthy eating, not just cheap food

nothing wrong with any of those. unless maybe if you get some kind of over processed jerky that has a bunch of sugar and ott salt in it. the
>eggs and butter are bad for you memes
are very much outdated information from last century

I use 4g of butter for my eggs and eat 2oz of turkey jerky

Heh good one

>highest saturated fat and highest cholesterol food are good for you

shoo shoo big bertha

M E M E S
E
M
E
S

Sure thing, follow your keto gods or whichever charlatan doctor you're listening to. Butter is back, saturated fats are generally good and dietary cholesterol doesn't affect serum cholesterol amiright.

>>eggs and butter are bad for you memes
>very much outdated information from last century

I'm sure you're much more up-to-date on the science than all the world's scientists.

For carbs, potatoes, oats, and rice are cheap and healthy. Chicken is a good, typically cheap protein. I can buy some chicken Brest for $2 a pound where I live. For produce, just buy whatever is in season. I usually buy a ton of onions, bell peppers, and then whatever is in season. Avoid organic, it's expensive and really doesn't do anything.

Protip: Hit up your local farmer's market for some great deals on veggies. Unfortunately my local farmers market doesn't start until mid-June

$30 groceries every week that includes all meals vs $5 mcdonalds lunch

healthy food costs less

Show us your cutting diet that has over 200g of protein in it then Einstein

Where I am, frozen chicken is more expensive than fresh. That's not a big deal when fresh chicken is only $2 a pound though

>over 200g protein

You'd be an idiot to do this in the first place. Not quite as much of an idiot as trying to get this protein from butter though.

>200g protein
You'd have to be really big to actually need that much. For most people that would actually be harmful. Also butter has no protein and eggs are cheap but there are tons of alternatives.

>Implying eggs and butter are bad for you

Eggs are a GOAT-tier food

Milk, any type of dairy really, beans, bread(in moderation), pasta(in moderation) costs next to nothing.

Chicken and pork is also cheap as shit.

Healthy food is not very expensive, but some of the foods people perceive as healthy will be expensive. For instance, fresh produce (just buy frozen) and fruits that are out of season.
Dried lentils, beans, chickpeas, rice, potato, oatmeal, locally sourced meat or fish and frozen vegetables can all be had for a low price. If people only cared to educate themselves rather than making cool captioned pictures and posting them for likes on the internet, they would know this. However, if they cared to educate themselves, they wouldn't be so poor as to whine about it in the first place.

I agree, as in they're only fit for a fucking goat to eat

>eggs are bad
>200g of protein is bad

dyel

>hurrr you don't think butter is bad so you must eat nothing but butter hurrrerr

Good thread, Veeky Forums
but how come normies keep saying how healthy food is expensive?

Brown rice, lentils, sunflower seeds, sardines, chicken breasts, spinach

junk McFood costs more if you do your math right.

Lmao dude eat fucking poison for all I care

>but how come normies keep saying how healthy food is expensive?
They're lazy.

youtube.com/watch?v=VpPDVqMltx8&feature=youtu.be

if you're only buying one meal, healthy food is gonna cost much more, but if you buy on bulk its gonna cost less

The Octuple Bypass Burger

>high in sodium

drink more water, problem solved

>saturated fat is bad

meme, trans fat is the boogeyman now, get with times

>carcinogenicity

the fact that people live to their late 80s is the biggest factor that leads to high cancer rates. Not meat.

Junk food.

When the idiots talk about healthy food they talk about the stuff rich people eat that's prepared in a way to taste good.

Yeah, that costs a fortune.

But you can buy enough chicken, potatoes, and green vegetables to last you a week for next to nothing.

Even if you assume that healthy food is mildly more expensive, there is no reason you can't buy it anyway and eat less of it. You would naturally lose weight that way.

The true problem is that Diabetes Golems accept nothing less than 45 grams of sodium and 60 grams of sugar in every serving of every food they eat. They eat so much garbage food with so much high-taste additives like lard, salt, and sugar, that healthy food does not taste good anymore. If they want to eat carrots they have to drop an entire stick of butter into the bowl and use a cup of sugar to make it even palatable.

Fat people make the choice every day that they would rather have good taste in their mouth than a healthy life. They would rather have a momentary pleasure during the day than be able to play with their kids. They would rather suck an entire can of whipped cream in 1 sitting than be able to climb stairs. That's the choice they make every day, and that's the end of the story. It doesn't matter what "costs" are involved. If you are poor you get food stamps; use them wisely. All the information is out there about how to eat healthy, and it has been out there for decades. If you willingly eat unhealthy food, at this point, it's 100% your fault and there is nobody else to blame. You can't claim ignorance or claim that nobody ever taught you. You just never bothered to learn because you prefer to eat fried butter sticks than put any kind of effort into your life.

too true

>deny, deny, deny

>healthiest food
> rice, pasta, noodles, potatos, beans.

Pick one

If you start from zero, healthy food costs more. If you want to stir fry some chicken and vegetables you need a pan/wok, which costs money. Have to keep it clean which costs time and some money. But it costs less in the long run, when you get multiple uses out of the pan. Same deal for any utensil/equipment that's needed to cook (good knives, blender, rice cooker, even just plain old pots and pans).

I think a lot of people who try to eat healthier go from 0-100 and look at garlic crushers and all these unnecessary addons that you don't really need to eat half decently.

>
>they're a pain becasue you have to fucking cut them

How fucking lazy are you?

Beans are definitely in the top 3 healthy foods

Healthy food is cheap it's just more time costly than fast.

Like yeah I could make a healthier burger at home, 4 grain bun made myself, get some grind out some badass patties, put on that butter lettuce and beefy tomato, hell add some bacon and use the left over bacon oil to make myself a little bacon mayo.

And it's better tasting and healthier than any shit I'd buy at any to-go place. Likely cheaper too.

But it won't come out in 10 minutes or less.

That's the real thing. You gotta put the time in to get some enjoyable food that's healthy and cheap. And poor fucks don't have the excess time.

>healthy food
>talks about homemade bacon burgers and bacon mayo

No one can properly define healthy and unhealthy food. Veeky Forums is a joke.

Healthy food: What I like eating

Unhealthy food: What fat people eat as long as it's not also something I eat

keeetttoooo

nah but really bacon 2 slices 90 cal, 5g cal and the mayo is just half that many calories plus some egg yolks and lemon juice

you should be triggered by the fucking buns mate

>"BUT MCDONALDS IS SO MUCH CHEAPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
>"I'M A PRISONER OF MY PAY CHECK! I HAVE NO CHOICCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

meanwhile:
>every fat person you see anywhere at any time is performing oral sex on a Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, Coke, Monster, Starbucks Unicorn Drink W/ Extra Gay Pride, milk shake, Sprite, Brisk, Crush Orange Soda, Mug Root Beer, Schweppes, 7-Up, Fanta Grape, Stewart's Black Cherry Wishniak, Dr. Brown's Black Cherry, A&W Cream Soda, Mountain Dew Code Red, Surge, Mello-Yello, Sunkist, Barq's Root Beer, Wild Cherry Pepsi, Pibb Xtra, Canada Dry Ginger Ale, Dr. Brown's Cel Ray, Seagram's Ginger Ale, Sierra Mist, Arnold Palmer Iced Tea, Ahmad Tea, Associated British Foods Tea, Bettys and Taylors of Harrogate, Brooke Bond, Clipper Tea, Fortnum & Mason, Glengettie Tea, Horniman's Tea ... [+79] ... and finally, Pumpkin Spice Latte.

>Some these drinks cost up to $6.00 for a 32 oz., which is a normal size for a fat person to have with every meal
>up to 35% of their meal budget goes toward a sugar acid drink that burns your arteries and has no nutritional value, and in many cases is a hypertonic solution (will not hydrate you)
>They could have filled their cup up with water for FREE and saved all that precious money that they don't have to buy healthy food

I've had nothing but water my entire life and never had a single problem. I didn't even cover alcohol drinks at bars that make you pay $8.00 for a shot of empty calories and toxins.
Get a fucking grip fat fucks. You have no excuse.

>What REALLY costs more, Healthy food or Junk Food?
Junk food, no question about it.

Rice, beans, salad and ground meat is cheap as fuck, and it is healthy as fuck too.

You will only be spending a lot on healthy food if you buy those gourmet healthy superfoods from a whole foods or some other bullshit trendy store.

You can also make a garden and grow your own organic vegetables if you have a backyard, bonus points for berry bushes.

For example...

I live in Brazil, a Big mac with fries and soda goes for like R$35, for that same amount of money you can buy a 5Kg Rice sack, a 1Kg Beans sack, some lettuce and tomatoes and you still have some money left to buy chicken breasts, pork ribs or ground meat.

Do notice that the bigmac fries and soda would get eaten in a single meal, while 5 Kg of rice and 1 Kg of beans will yield several meals. Therefore the price you are paying for each meal is much less than a single fast food meal.

The buns sound like they're whole grain. Red and processed meat are shit though.

>what healthy foods are the most bang for your buck then?
Do you like string beans? Those are healthy as fuck but a bit pricey, but they are so fucking easy to grow on your backyard that you would either need to be lazy or stinky rich to waste money on it instead of growing your own.

Not that user, but will pick 2 instead: potatoes and beans.

They are the ones that provide the most nutrition per gram and are pretty cheap.

I mean they are but it still comes out to a worse calorie to protein ratio than anything else.

I don't see any issue with red meats. Idk how you define processed but I just chuck equal parts of frozen short rib, brisket and chuck into the heavy duty blender until it's basically the ground beef I want. Comes out p good.

Normies think healthy = Organic, Non GMO, and exotic foods
Really healthy is just good macros, and an appropriate amount of calories while avoiding excess sugar and salt.
There are other factors to it of course, but that's the bulk of it

Macro ratios and calories aren't all you look at to determine if a food is healthy.

>I don't see any issue with red meats. Idk how you define processed but I just chuck equal parts of frozen short rib, brisket and chuck into the heavy duty blender until it's basically the ground beef I want. Comes out p good.

While processed meats, meaning things like bacon, cold cuts, and deli meats, are classified as definite carcinogens (cause cancer), red meats are also considered a probably cause of cancer, while having been long associated with heart disease and even diabetes. You've really never heard that info before?

I've heard of this and ignored it after reviewing the studies seeing it as low risk

Like oh no my 5% chance of getting rectal cancer is now 5.6% because I eat bacon.

Oh well.

Also red meat is only probably because there's no direct link yet so it's up in the air and chances are the "long association" is due to fucks eating not just too much red meat but too much of every goddamn thing and being fat fatties.

Causation v correlation and all that such shit. Eat my colon cancer out of this juicy squating ass.

>Like oh no my 5% chance of getting rectal cancer is now 5.6% because I eat bacon.

Your lifetime risk goes up about a percent for each 50g serving you eat, not considering other foods you probably eat that also increase your risk, like all that red meat. Wouldn't you rather eat something that makes you less likely to develop cancer of the ass?

>Also red meat is only probably because there's no direct link yet so it's up in the air

Actually the opposite. It's considered just probable because the correlation data was inconsistent between studies, but the mechanistic data directly determining the carcinogenicity in a lab setting was strong and reliable.

hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2015/11/03/report-says-eating-processed-meat-is-carcinogenic-understanding-the-findings/

But hey, you don't sound like you care either way

>after reviewing the studies
Judging from your post, I really doubt that.

Fuck you. Pork is amazing.

>50g serving you eat

per day. Literally in the harvard news article you link it explains it's 18% per 50g per day. And that's not to say 18% total just that much risk times the average cancer percentage (which I remember being about 5-6 percent on average for americans)

so if you eat 50g of say bacon every day of your life (which would be an honestly ridiculous amount) you'd raise you chances of cancer 1% over your lifetime

There's a risk for sure. It's just small enough that idgaf. It's not near as bad as say smoking or chewing on asbestos. Hell the fucking article you link is a scientist of the original who report explaining that the shit is not good but not near as bad the media plays it out to be and should just be taken with moderation and awareness of the risks instead of excess. Along with a note from the guy that this risk shit is likely worse for obese fucks.

So yeah it's a risk but small enough for me to not give a fuck given I'm healthy, don't eat it every goddamn day, exercise and am not obese or with any other complicating factors that could cause it to go above a 1% risk increase.

I tried explaining this to an overweight friend of mine the other day who was using the whole "it's to expensive" excuse to justify her junk food diet.

I had to explain to her that while it's true that SOME "healthy food" is priced higher than Junk Food pound for pound, the "healthy foods" tend to satisfy your hunger and keep you feeling "full" for longer than the junk foods so you get more meals out of the healthy food (more bang for your buck)

She looked at me like I just grew a third arm out of my chest.

Cutting up fresh grilled chicken breast onto a big ass salad with some sliced carrots and a diced hard boiled egg is going to give you energy and fill you up just as much as a fast food meal or a couple slices of deep dish pizza with the added benefit of not spiking your sugar/salt levels through the roof and making you feel sluggish.

If you need a boost in between meals, Munching on some homemade trail mix with a RESPONSIBLE amount of m&m's in it will give you a better energy burst and satisfy your snack craving better than a cheap bag of potato chips or a tube of pringles.

Or if you're lazy and don't want to make your mid-day snack ahead of time to take into work with you, a stick or two of celery with a bit of PB or just eating an apple will satisfy your hunger better than a 99cent donut from the gas station.

And that's just some of the health food. Some health food is just as expensive as the junk food alternative. Pretty sure buying a container of quick oats is about the same as a box of captain crunch and a 12 pack of coca-cola is more expensive than a package of green teabags.

Easy.
>8scoopz
>36 egg whites

Tons of protons, fewer than 1000 calories.

>per day.

Obviously

>so if you eat 50g of say bacon every day of your life (which would be an honestly ridiculous amount)

50g is fuck-all, not even 2 ounces. People on this board doing diets like keto eat 200g for breakfast.

>you'd raise your cances of cancer 1% over your lifetime

For one form of cancer, colorectal. It's also implicated in stomach cancer, prostate cancer, and pancreatic cancer. It also affects other disease risks, probably even more. As they say in the Harvard article:

>As mentioned above, high consumption of red and processed meat is associated with higher risk of several chronic diseases, such as heart disease or diabetes, not just colorectal cancers and high processed meat consumption is estimated to account for about 644,000 deaths worldwide. Thus, in making dietary choices, it is important to consider all the consequences, not just risk of one disease.

Maybe you find that the satisfaction of eating these things outweighs the risk for you, but the topic of this thread is food that's cheap and healthy, not food that's cheap and "only gives you a little cancer, don't worry about it"

Junk food. Meat and vegetables are very cheap. Fruits, nuts and foreign shit are expensive but that's not needed.

Anyways, availability is a bigger problem than price. Food deserts are real.

>Your lifetime risk goes up about a percent

This is a shitty explanation of what the science says. Your risk does not go from 5% to 6% as most think it means. Without looking up the actual numbers for total risk because I am lazy what it means is that if you have a 5% chance of getting cancer from red meat, "consuming red meat raises your chance by 1%" means your total risk is now 5.01%. And your comment on "each 50g serving" is way off from what I have seen. Most say a serving each day. Meaning you have to eat 50g every day for the duration of the study to see the increase in risk. Anyone who claims a single serving causes anything long term is full of shit because the science is not able to get that granular yet.

Learn to fucking cook.

You really felt so compelled to comment after having misread my post? The baseline risk is 5% for colon cancer. Each 50g (1 serving) of processed meat per day increases risk 18%, which would go from 5% to 5.9%, 5% to 6.8% for 2 servings, etc. For unprocessed red meat, it's per 100g.

Wait 3 days worth of food out of that if you just eat it raw?

Here I can get 2 large quality pizzas (local Italian chain) with 3 toppings each (fuck tip, pick up only) and make that last a week if I don't gouge myself on it. A single large would last 4 days with water.

there is no "clean" foods.
as long as the food fits your macros, provide your mineral and vitamin needs then it's all you need.

you can eat pizzas all week but im not sure if it fits your macros and you would probably run out of money pretty fast

>All the information is out there about how to eat healthy, and it has been out there for decades

This is a problem. A lot of people (in America at least) don't know what info to trust, where to get it, or can't. Look at where we are, how many fucking posts do you see people legit asking fitness and hell life changing tips from fucking anons? Don't think old people who have been grown up a certain way are any easier to teach better eating habits either.

With the poor you have a ton of fat slobs who just gobble whatever because they don't know better or don't have the time/know how to prepare good food because other more pressing poor problems crop up.

As for the medium income fat fucks, fuck'em. There is tons of places they could get help be it mental or otherwise if they really want to change.