Why are carbohydrates necessary for lifting? Is it so you have enough energy to actually do the lifting...

Why are carbohydrates necessary for lifting? Is it so you have enough energy to actually do the lifting, or is it to recover afterwards?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3577439/
mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/high-protein-diets/faq-20058207
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15558517
advances.nutrition.org/content/6/3/260.full
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Both.. Take a biology class

>Both

Can you expand on that?

>Take a biology class

I don't see why you have to be so hostile.

They are not necessary.

They are however easy and cheap energy.

During anaerobic exercise a.k.a lifting your muscles use glycogen as their main energy source

>Why are carbohydrates necessary for lifting?
they are not, you can get energy from fat as well. a spoon of sugar is enough for a day for the body to function normally.

t. biologist

>a spoon of sugar is enough for a day for the body to function normally.
I may correct myself, not even that!

>Why are carbohydrates necessary for lifting?

Don't need carbs at all. Fat is the preferred fuel of our body, not carbs.

First, we have very low capacity for storing glucose (600g or 2,000 calories between our liver and our muscles), but a virtually unlimited capability to store energy as fat in adipose tissue. We switch to using fat for energy as soon as our glucose reserves are depleted.

Carbs exist, you can use it, but is not necessary for anything and has no benefits whatsoever.

Both.

Top retard.

kinda this

this basically. Limit on rest days (

/this

although the recomended amount of carbs according to USDA is the minimum amount of glucose that is utilized by the brain per day, your brain can also use ketons from fat like β-hydroxybutyrate (βHB) and acetoacetate (AcAc).

>digest dietary fat is immediately stored as adipose tissue

NANI???

Production of ATP from carbs requires 80% of the oxygen when compared to fats. That is why carbs are better if you are doing high intensity cardio work, you won't have to breathe as hard.
Body needs a very small amount of carbs to renew cell components etc.
I don't know if carbs or fats are better energy for lifting, where you generally aren't working at maximum oxygen capacity.

not mentioned in the post, your quotes are off retard.

>Why so hostile ?
Shut it, faggot. He gave you good advice.
You won't learn all you need to know about nutrition in a Veeky Forums post.

Use google / look for a nutrition class IRL.

An apple is enough.

>you're never burning more than 300 calories in an hour of any exercise
A calories burned calculator told me I'm burning about 600 cals in my less than one hour running.

What is the consensus on getting carbs from fruits? Good? bad?

Dried peaches are taste fucking awesome, are high in carbs and calories which seems to be good for bulking. What does fit say? yay, nay? (of course there will also be eaten rice, pasta,oats, potatoes and so on)

Fruits are good. Dried fruits are ok-ish.

yeah I meant half an hour, not sure why I said hour

unless you're doing something fucking crazy

Why is that? The goal in mind is eating dried fruits to help reach my daily amounts of carbohydrates for bulking.

>consensus
Do you mean what doctors, nutritionists, and top-athletes believe, or what bros on the internet keep talking about? Fruit are healthy and nutritious, but like everything else, they have their place. As long as your macros are right, fruit are some of the best carb sources around.

>go on keto
>brain fog all the time
>fail PR on all my lifts
>said fuck it
>add 100 g of rice to my dinner
>next day
>feels great
>hit my PR on diddys

Somebody explain, is keto a gimmick?

I'd say mainly because the drying heavily increases the GI of fruits. Then again they're still nutritious and calory dense in that form so pretty good for bulking I'd assume.

>Do you mean what doctors, nutritionists, and top-athletes believe, or what bros on the internet keep talking about?
All of the above.

Reading my comments, does dried fruit have its place in my diet? Or should i prioritize something else over it?

Most diets are gimmicks, deep down you fucking know what you should be eating.

keto doesn't work instantly, you have to wait a couple weeks, or keto just isn't good for exercise. either way there's no reason to eat lots of carbs unless you wanna be a sumo or something

pizza?

Okay, thanks. Why is it bad that they have increased GI?

Lol like anyone on Veeky Forums ever trusts what a normie nutritionist says. Might as well tell everyone to fuck off and hire a personal trainer instead of giving lifting advice. Might as well just not post if you cant give info, bonehead.

Peeps

>ITT: Broscience

Cause insulin spike, dried fruits are almost like sweets in that regard. Lots of sugar and unlike whole fruits they're metabolised very quickly.

Constant consumption of high GI carbs is usually associated with diabetes and fat gain. High GI carbs are great for replenishing glycogen storages, and providing energy during physical activity. They also cause a spike in insulin production, which helps stop catabolism and helps drive nutrients into the cells.That's why bodybuilders take their whey with dextrose/maltodextrin. Dr. Mike Israetel has a great series on nutritional priorities for body recomp on youtube. He teaches nutrition at university level AND is fucking massive.

You people are beyond help.

Running burns way more than 600 Cal/hr
I think calories burned per mile is about 0.75 times your body weight in lbs.

It can't hurt to buy it and eat just one, user...

It's a slippery slope user.

So i could get diabetes or even higher bodyfat percentage if i constantly spiked my blood sugar throughout the day?

Is there anywhere i can read about how to set up daily carb intake for optimal health in a way that someone that is not very knowledgeable about nutrition could understand?

Would it be better if i ate 100g of dried peaches before training and then 100g dried peaches after training as a desert after my dinner? And then rest of the day focus on carbs with slow GI?

Currently doing SS with 4000k cals a day.

Carbohydrates 500 g
50 %
Fat 111 g
25 %
Protein 250 g
25 %

Getting a bit tired of rice, pasta and oats and it would really help me reach 500g of carbs a day with dried fruits.

Dried Peaches (Sulfured, Dried)
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 cup of halves

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 11
Calories 382

Total Carbohydrate 98.13g 33%
Dietary Fiber 13.1g 52%
Sugars 66.78g
Protein 5.78g

>250g protein
No way in hell you need that much.

I know, but then I'd had to increase the carbs even more if i lowered that.

It's better that he learned from someone who has experience than from someone that just merely studied nutrition

Wow you really have no idea about diet. Too much protein is harmful, more carbs or fats are irrelevant at the same calory level (assuming complex carbs and healthy fats). Go read up before you do something even more stupid and ruin your liver or get insulin resistent.

>So i could get diabetes or even higher bodyfat percentage if i constantly spiked my blood sugar throughout the day?
Yes, but not necessarily. But you can also smoke for 50 years and never get cancer. We're talking about increasing the probability of certain outcomes.

>Would it be better if i ate 100g of dried peaches before training and then 100g dried peaches after training as a desert after my dinner? And then rest of the day focus on carbs with slow GI?
I'd say yes too. That's also in line with both medical and "bro" sciences; keep high GI carbs around your workouts. There's some discussion in the medical and bro communities about the famous post-workout "anabolic window". Dr. Mike suggests that muscle cells do have increased sensitivity to insulin post-workout, which tapers off and returns to basal after about 6 hours.

>250g protein
>too much protein
>young person with healthy kidneys

That's a fine amount. You don't need that much, but it won't hurt wither.

I don't have any idea, but I know that eating some pasta before training or gym = way way less fatigue

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3577439/

This should help

fact: way more people on the internet, compared to real life, recommend low carb high fat diets. it's because they're too DYEL to be taken seriously at a gym and they can get away with posting their advice and opinions on the internet without posting their physiques

But for how long will he be healthy if he does bulk cycles like that over a few years? Health is about longevity you don't to hit 35 and have problems of 60 year olds.

They are energy who makes you get the drive to lift. Fat is also energy.

Protein builds muscle.

You need both.

There's no solid evidence that high protein diets are harmful unless you have pre-existing kidney issues. Most issues associated with high protein diets either come from the restriction of other nutrients, or poor choices of protein sources (too much red meat, too many eggs...). Besides, if OP's consuming a lot of vegetable or low-quality protein, his real absorption may be much lower than the 250g that are just present in the food.

>mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/high-protein-diets/faq-20058207

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15558517

>advances.nutrition.org/content/6/3/260.full

Carbs pump glycogen into your muscles. This gives your muscles the power to lift heavy shit. Lifting depletes glycogen, so you need carbs after your work out to replenish.

Those links are pretty inconclusive though. Might not be a problem for some, might be for others even without kidney issues. In general it's not a good idea to eat excessive amount of protein. No benefit, potential risks and you usually have to go out of your way to eat that much anyway so just don't.

tldr?

I agree that aiming for that much is unnecessary, but it OP doesn't plan on eating like that half the year for the next 30 years, I don't see why not. I mean, I also wouldn't recommend bulking on 4000kcal unless you're very young (in high school, basically), or very active.

>What is the consensus on getting carbs from fruits? Good? bad?

good since carbs in fruit are fiber and you shit them out, the rest is miniscule sugar.

>Dr. Mike Israetel has a great series on nutritional priorities for body recomp on youtube.

How can I trust someone called Israel?

You weren't getting enough potassium and magnesium. Try eating more leafy greens and add a multi-vitamin to your diet. Also could be low sodium. Drinking chicken or beef broth 1 or 2 times a day or even adding salt to some of your dishes helps. Also water.
Don't blame keto, blame yourself for not doing keto right.

thanks for the laugh

Wow. Good one bro. Keto B T F O.

>instead of eating a potato once a day, just be a big retarded faggot that eats 10 servings of kale and drinks 2 cups of chicken broth every day lmfao carbs are bad reddit said so muh ketosis muh fatburn

it was btfo the moment you implied you need to pay close attention to micronutrients to even function normally on keto

>Keto is bad
>Carbs are bad
>Keto is good
>Carbs are good
>The human body, the most complex machine in existence, responds the exact same to all diets and performance with no variation across all different populations regardless of difference in lifestyle, genetics, environment.
>People won't have different results

Not normally necessary on keto, but when dealing with "brain fog" or low energy, it's usually a sign of lacking in certain micronutrients. I gave advice on remedying the situation.

a d d i c t e d (to carbs)

if you think it's low magnesium or potassium and not low glucose that normally gives people brain fog you're beyond saving

I know, because I lived it. I lost over 150lbs on a ketogenic diet.

Yeah it's something you can try to lose weight if you're like 25% + bodyfat. If you're already pretty low and fit it's stupid.

you would lose 150lbs on a normal diet with the same caloric restrictions and you'd have more energy to workout and wouldn't have to guzzle chicken broth and a pound of kale everyday

dried fruits can be great

'can' because sometimes they pick unripe fruits and lay them in syrup to sweeten them

you didn't need to say you're a skinnyfat, former obese/overweight person. literally all ketofags are like that
and that's the fucking problem with keto and its advocates. let people who look like they lift give diet advice, please

>le everyone is different meme
hello special snowflake

its kinda funny that people are shittalking carbs on a forum centered around getting jacked

Carbs are protein sparing and trigger one of the most anabolic hormones in the body; insulin (bodybuilders literally inject this lmao)

The fact that you had over 150 pounds to lose says it all about the kind of people who preach keto.

Insulin does not trigger anabolism. It is strongly catabolist. It has a positive effect on protein synthesis balance, but don't think more insulin mean more muscle.

>Insulin does not trigger anabolism. It is strongly catabolist. It has a positive effect on protein synthesis balance
what the fuck am I reading

you are literally retarded

What is with these infinite threads about any approach to diet that isn't CICO or "Balanced Diet 12 servings of grains a day 3 glasses of milk" and the levels of buttblast in them?
Experiment with your bodies, see how they react to different stimuli!

Wat
a
t

I mean are you just trolling or are you literally retarded? 7/10 in case it's the former.

Does anyone lift fasted ? I actually feel stronger if I dont eat before lifting.I know theres a correlation with insulin rise and test dropping so I think it benefits not eating before lifting but I love to carb backload feels good man

I think if you have alot of fat you should utilize that for energy so eating low to no carbs would be better.

>I think if you have alot of fat you should utilize that for energy so eating low to no carbs would be better.

Why would the carbs be a factor? You mean low calories?

>I think if you have alot of fat you should utilize that for energy so eating low to no carbs would be better.
you cant actually use fat to fuel lifting though, or anything that is remotely intense

if you lift fasted you probally should keep the reps low(relatively) and rest times long

For the past 2 years other than a 3 month window from November until February this past winter I do IMF only eating between 14:00 and 20:00. I do cardio and lift around 12:00. Only very very rarely have I ever just felt out of it. Light-headedness once in a blue moon, and usually because I didn't have enough salt. I have extremely low blood-pressure and a low resting heart rate at that too so I need to crank up my salt intake.
Anyways, I'm sitting around 14%bf or so, IMF has been fucking great, I feel amazing every day, and I usually get super tired about 20-30m after eating around 2, get sluggish etc. Especially if the meal is carb heavy (Genuinely not even saying this just for bait, just my experience)

How would your body not use fat for energy when lifting esp when fasted lifting? Your body wont breakdown muscle for fuel especially when youre using it

Cutting carbs will get you imto ketosis.You dont have to do keto just any general low carb

>Cutting carbs will get you imto ketosis.

So?

Low blood pressure and RHR are usually good things though, mine are pretty low too but even lower would probably be even better.

If you don't eat for some time and deplete your blood sugar / glycogen and then eat a big meal it's pretty common to get tired because your body will prioritize digestion to restore energy. I'm sluggishly cutting at the moment and when I eat very little over the entire day but then a big meal in the evening I usually get hella tired half an hour after that too.

Thats what the post was saying cut carbs to force your body to use your own fat for fuel.You dont need carbs and yes fat can be used for lifting weights but it takes a bit for your body to get used to

What is the meal you eat?

>Thats what the post was saying cut carbs to force your body to use your own fat for fuel.

But why are you saying carbs instead of calories? You mean cut calories to burn body fat

because ketotards think that just because you eat a lot of fat that automaticly means that you burn bodyfat too regardless of total calories lmao

people on this board still have no idea what the fuck fiber is and what the fuck it does. Btw meat spikes your insulin just as much as pure refined sugar.

Well I guess technically when you cut carbs I guess your cutting cals to.

For me it's the opposite, my diet is pretty high in carbs so I get especially tired if I cook with more fat than usual. Like using some butter to fry and then cream for a sauce, that has me sleep in about 20 minutes. But as you also said only on days I ate very little before. That's why I dislike intermittent fasting.

The time I really noticed how tired I got was your standard chicken-potatoes-broccoli with salt and olive oil because from my experience, looked to be a pretty standard "rounded meal". Since then I've tapered off my carbs a fair amount, just broke my fast with 3 eggs, 3 strips of bacon, a handful of mushrooms, cheese, and some hot sauce. Feeling great.
I feel compelled to add again that I'm only speaking about my approaches, maybe it doesn't work well for others.

A buddy of mine started on IMF at the same time as me years ago, he couldn't or wouldn't do it, claimed he noticed a couple benefits of being more alert in the mornings but that he was absolutely ravenously hungry by about 11:00/12:00.

Many times, I'm not even hungry at 14:00, I just kinda figure well, about time to eat something I guess.

Take the middle ground, eat just enough carbs that you aren't in keto. Problem solved.

Yeah you lose fat when you cut calories but reducing carb intake forces your body to use its fat for fuel.

I'm risking it all here BUT! I figure after 2 years, my system has pretty well adapted to being primarily fat-burning (both dietary, and body)
I may hit some kind of wall in another few months, another few years, don't know. For now, it's working wonders for me though. If I crash, I'll change up my diet without being a zealot for high-fat-low-carb. Simple as that.

>you lose fat when you cut calories but reducing carb intake forces your body to use its fat for fuel.

The fuck are you talking about? You use body fat as energy when you don't eat enough energy in calories as your body uses. That happens whether you eat carbs, fat, protein, or ethanol. If you're cutting carbs, whatever else you eat is going to be used for fuel before body fat is. If you're eating at a calorie deficit, your body will tap into into body fat stores to make up the difference.

But if you eat normally at the same caloric restriction you will lose exactly as much weight, as has been shown in literally every study that adjusted for calories. Keto is not a shortcut.