Decided to start working out at a gym...

Decided to start working out at a gym. What are some things/unwritten rules I should know about so I don't embarrass myself like a noob?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/xAFJqsFN
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Train legs

when you're maxing your curls do it in the smith machine and use clamps. Nobody likes somebody who isn't safe.

Number 1: read the sticky.

dont slam the weights

very funny

Research proper exercise form before doing. Put the weights back after using them. Don't wear basketball shorts.

rerack your weight
don't talk to people that are working out
put towel on bench before u lie on it

that's all

I'll give some real answers then...

Don't try to lift too much weight, nobody cares if you're lifting light weights because pretty much everyone started weak.

If you are unsure if someone is using a piece of equipment, ask the nearest person to it. they will say if they have seen anyone use it recently. Don't just hover nearby, it makes people uncomfortable or annoyed.

If you sweat a lot, wipe down benches or other equipment after use.

Put your weights back where they should go, don't leave them on the floor. Too many fucks do this already.

If someone asks how many sets you have left, either offer to let them work in, or be honest about how long you will be. Don't get scared and say "im done" or rush your sets.

Don't talk to anyone about their form unless they ask or unless you're asking for advice.

Don't talk to anyone who has headphones in unless its important. They wear them to avoid talking.

Try not to fart in the gym, it sucks when you're about to go for a PR and some cloud of filth descends on you.
Add to that, don't stink. If you suffer from bad BO, wear deodorant. There's one guy at my gym that always has a 10m exclusion zone around him because he fucking stinks.

Don't walk close to anyone who is in the middle of a set. Someone coming right by you can be distracting.

The simple fact that you're concerned about not looking like a tit in the gym means 99% chance you won't. A lot of gym goers seem to not give a fuck and do super retarded shit all the time.

Good luck, and keep up the good work.

I've heard the bars themselves can be heavy, upwards of 50 lbs. I'm really weak, am I gonna end up having to curl just the bar?

the bar doesnt count

Yes.

You'll look like a fuck boy if you use the Olympic bar to curl

You may not be able to do 45 for many reps either

Dont curl with an olympic bar unless you have achieved full barge mode.

Just do dumbell curls or use a curl bar

I'd say it's okay to comment on form if it's on deadlifts. Too many young kids have injuries their entire lives because somebody doesn't want to hurt their feelings and tell them not have have the back of a cat.

What other shorts are you supposed to wear?

Can we add this to the sticky?

this desu
here's a pastebin

pastebin.com/xAFJqsFN

Crossfit shorts

Just as said.
But on a lot of lifts, bench or OHP especially you'll have to start with just the bar. I know I could OHP the bar for shit for about 6 months when I started. But don't worry about it. Try to start using the barbell with the compounds as early as you can though, just so you get used to the movement. That means even if you're able to just bench the bar, do it. Nobody really cares and you'll get a first feel of it, rather than just doing dumbbells till you're strong engough to do a hundred pounds and then starting with a fucked up form.

Really? I've never seen evidence of a spinal injury from a barbell deadlift. Online or otherwise.
Can you show me proof of that?

>he doesn't know what a herniated disk is

Don't wear gym clothes pls. Either you wear track pants or sweats or just sweat shorts. Don't wear gym t-shirts either it's fucking cringe.

I usually wear, vans/converse, Adidas track pants and a white t-shirt alt a grey hoodie. Makes me cringe when guys walk around in tech clothes

>Squatting in pants
>>>Deadlifting in pants
Jesus Christ user

1. Wear Deodorant. Don't be a smelly indian.
2. Respect people and equipment. Don't slam weights. Be respectful of what other people are doing. If someone is using that bar/weight/machine, wait for them to finish.
3. Check ego at the door. Ego lifting is not going to help your body progress and increases the chance of injury.
4. Learn proper form for what you're doing. Don't fucking kill yourself or injury yourself nigger.
5. Most people just want to be left alone. Be respectful.

>walking around with scratched shins

most gyms have an e-z curl bar rack that ranges all the way from 10-120lb's. You gotta remember, 95% of gym goers are just doing light lifting + aerobics. Unless you go to a powerlifting or strongman gym, you're going to be around a bunch of people who can't lift. To be honest, most strong guys there are too focused on their sets to even pay attention to what you're doing.

Remember to push through your toes, not your heels, bend your back to get the most vertical motion possible, with squats only go down about 15 degrees then back up quickly otherwise youll fuck your joints up. Also no matter what exercise or what weight ALWAYS use chalk, better safe than sorry.

>Don't wear proper clothes because I dress like a retard

Don't try to strike up conversation or ask if you can take weights from someone who is in the middle of lifting. This shit really pisses me off when it happens.
Rerack weights
Don't egolift.
Don't give an attitude or"Fuck you" glare at someone asking to work in, or how many sets you got left.
Don't throw out advice to others on form unless asked.
Don't stink the gym up.

baseball shorts duh

Thongs

Don't jump rope in the weight area.

>Go to do lat pulldowns, no one was near it.
>2nd set, dude comes up to me, says he's using this in a super set.
>Stare at him, glance to the other lat pull down 10 feet away, look back at him.
>Say fine, you can work in.
>Take bar off, move it to other lat pull down, and do 3rd set.

That guy can fuck off, and get another bar from the rack. Hogging up two areas.

Don't even get me started on these circuit training motherfuckers.

>What are some things/unwritten rules I should know about so I don't embarrass myself like a noob?- 34 posts and 1 image reply shown.
it's gym etiquette to butt slap people when they deadlift

Can't stand them either. The worst are the ones who get to the machine you are at, and just stand there. Your precious little circuit is fine if you just come back.

circuit training is masterrace

I prefer my spotters to use the "Poke" technique personally.

Not having a home gym in 2017!?

I like the Poke method, but I find the Poke n Choke much more effective for dem high test gains

Also sometimes in a batman mask

Muh nigga. But I actually would prefer going to gym (living in rural region) for them mires.

To add.

If someone is using equipment you are waiting for, ask them how many sets they have. Sit near them while you wait do they know to hurry the fuck up.

hate people who don't use towels desu, my gym is full of them...
Fucking disgusting pricks

>bar

I was benching the bar for the first month. I added ten pounds today. Soon it'll be 25 and so on.

It's really on embarrassing the first time in my experience.

If you can't bench 2pl8s day one, 360 and walk right up to the bench and train til you can.

(In fairness, yeah, it does not impress anyone, but who cares. At least you're trying, and making gainz.)

don't overhead press in the power rack or squat rack

Deadlifting with bad form is taking an express ticket to Snap city

Don't take up the bench to bench the bar. Jfc. Don't even touch the bench unless you are gonna do 135lbs minimum. Otherwise you look like a weakling, and you are taking up space.

well, technically, you are a noob
noobs behaving like they aren't noobs are the worst
if gym staff approach you to give you some tips on form or something else, don't brush it off or be embarrassed about it. Stand there like a grown ass man and take the advise. Seriously, f you're new and you act interested and proactive, you're the best noob you can be.

>Don't OHP in the power rack

Why not?

>first month

>Wear rugby shorts
>Don't wear stringers or tanks if you have no muscle
>Ask to work in
>Don't wear snapbacks
>Re rack weights
>Don't be autistic

Is there such a thing like a gentleman gym?

Most gyms have a spare barbell and some floor space you can safely do it and thus leave a squat rack open. Even if they do not have a spare barbell though, taking the bar off some shit like a decline bench would be more courteous than using up a rack.

good post

>Don't walk close to anyone who is in the middle of a set.
This is the worst. People are too impatient to wait for the set to finish or walk in a less direct route

Don't take pictures of other people in the gym

DO NOT PLAY YOUR MUSIC OUT LOUD, nobody wants to hear your music, likewise if other people can hear your music through your headphones 10 feet away your music is too loud

newbie here. why would someone circuit train in a regular gym? just efficiency of adding more cardio load?

Do you mean Rupert Rutherfords Gentlemanly Hoisting Centre, my good chap?

>Veeky Forums
>wearing shorts
>wearing anything

Don't forget to tip the gym dog.

you're the worst, never gonna make it

>reddit spacing

opinion disregarded

It's not reddit spacing you complete moron each line is a new point. Either I got baited or you're a fucking spastic. Also all good advice.

>not wearing long socks

High quality bait bruh.

where am I supposed to ohp?
where am I supposed to squat?

if you just tell me squat rack and ohp rack youre not helping.

i dont know wtf a squat rack or ohp rack looks like.

home gym mastterrace here
i squat 150 lbs because thats all im able to OHP from the ground and place behind my shoulders without a faggot rack.

yet I can dl over 4 plates. never tried my max squat

>not being a man and having shins that you can crack trees in half with
Pain is gains, pussies

I bet you're the type that wears gloves you pussy.

hyper extend at top of your deadlifts just like everyone else. Then talk about how deadlifts fucked your back

Nice, checked

Never post again, you dickhead

kys

always always ALWAYS tip the receptionist. this is the #1 mistake i see new guys making and it's a sure-fire way to get on somebody's bad side.

desus, some bros like sweating. get over it!

>adding more cardio load

no its cardio loaf you oaf

>not using your BO cloud to keep the normies away
havent had a single person talk to me in months

underrated

google squat rack. power rack has adjustable safety bars, squat rack is bare.
and smith machines are worthless for squatting

Wear jorts and sandals.

Don't listen to him. Everybody uses either a squat rack or power rack for OHP, honestly.

dont be a lunkhead

Swim trunks or hockey shorts, desu. Only plebs wear basketball shorts or, worse yet, gym shorts.

Someone tell me if im doing this wrong:
>take a towel with me when im working out
>wipe machine im about to use
>do my two sets
>wipe machine before i leave
>re rack if necessary
First week at the local gym. Some looks but nothing bad.

>>do my two sets
>two
never gonna make it

I do this, and because no other cunt bothers to bring a towel, and no other cunt wipes the machines down after using them means I look like a super autismo who follows all the rules, and we all fucking know the one time I forget to bring a towel, management will start harassing me because I don't have a towel and the rules state you must have a towel.

Don't overhead press in the curl rack.

>>do my two sets
>two
never gonna make it

Lol im starting slow. Havent worked out this good since high school

My first day i got some weird looks because i didnt wipe. Im still gonna wipe regardless.