Walking around with heavy backpack

So I've been starting to slowly get fit for about a month now and so far it's been pretty good for me, especially psychologically. For starters I'm 55kg/120lbs and 170cm/5"7' (I know, I know. But before I started training I was just 52kg, so there's that)
Anyway, I've been reading literature about a fictional mountain climber recently and on one point it said, that he would go with a heavy backpack anywhere he went to prepare himself for the Himalayas. And I've been thinking if that would actually work out. I have to go two hours total to get from my flat to my job and back and figured, might as well try out doing it with a backpack. I thought about starting with a bit under 20% of my bodyweight(so 10kg/22lbs) with water bottles and then see where it gets me from there.
What I gathered is, that it might work as endurance, leg and back-training. Do you think that would actually work out or would I just snap my back?

>inb4 "Why won't you try out jogging?"
I'm still to uncomfortable and insecure for that (I work out in my room, by myself) and my endurance is still very, very low, so I don't see myself jogging in the near future.

Other urls found in this thread:

breakingmuscle.com/learn/ready-to-ruck-how-to-get-started-and-what-to-buy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

breakingmuscle.com/learn/ready-to-ruck-how-to-get-started-and-what-to-buy
I've thought about giving it a go but it sounds like a memey military type shit that will just put unnecessary strain on your joints. So I wouldn't do it too often or with very heavy weight at least to start out.

I guess it's worth a shot.

My dad never works out and eats like shit, but he goes hiking every two weeks with very heavy backpack and his legs are thick as fuck. he has quads and calves of somebody who squats hundreds of kilos even though he never set foot in the gym.

As long as you maintain proper posture

This is a particular kind of training for doing hiking trips. Backpacking requires you to carry 55-70 pounds for 6-10 miles a day covering varied terrain, often for several days.

The reason guys get big doing this is that it's like doing thousands of mini squats for entire day.

I'll tell you same thing I always say... if you enjoy it, go for it. Enjoyment is way more important than what I or others think of it.

Yeah it will get you strong / fit but its also easy to SNAP your shit up, especially at your bodyweight.

If you're gonna do it, as the other guy said work on your posture. Start with minimal weights and build up over a period of months.

GOLEM GET YE' GONE

More on this... when I was hiking in woods I typically carried about 60 lbs for about 8 miles a day. This requires a hiking backpack with lumbar strap etc... point is you will want to buy a real backpack, not just throw 20 lbs into a school bag... that would be really uncomfortable.

Also suggest that you get bags of play sand for weights. You could use plastic bags and duct tape to make up 5 pound slugs and weight bag with those. Water is a great way to weight bag but concerned the bottles will be uncomfortable.

I carried a 60 pound pack untrained for close to 30 miles in the Oregon mountain trails. I was 19 yo, 6' and 155 lb at the time. OP will be fine... like all things suggest start small... worst issue I had was sore feet.

Kokou no hito?
The jugs in his bag seemed excessive but what do I know

Doing something like that though just the once is doable, but if you did it repeatedly without training you could fuck yourself.

A fair few military bros end up with shit like herniated disc and joint issues from the repeated stress, so it is worth taking it easy tbqh

Yeah, don't do this. Like any weighted cardio, any short term gains are offset by long-term joint pain. It's the same as if you were obese and walking. Go unweighted or lightweight and do squats if you want to get big

This. It's very damaging for the joints.
>my endurance is still very, very low
It'll always be low if you never run. You're only ever good at what you train for. Not saying there are no carryover; but well.
If you have to walk 2 hours a day, invest in a bike instead. It'll be far better for endurance than just rucking.

But he is training. He's starting low weights and progressively adding more. He could go every other day. Neither of these were options in my case.

As for military... I've issues with how military trains insane amounts of running with and without loaded sacks. The injuries of your friends are a direct result of overtraining and not listening to their bodies bc they were not given an option.., they were literally ordered to snap their shit up.

I think op would be fine... OP you better post back with pictures of your gear. We are waiting...

Go for it. As some other Veeky Forumsizen mentioned, mind your posture, though.
I spent a few years in the infantry and additional years backpacking (for months at a time) and had no problems whatsoever. Don't listen to horror stories of destroyed joints or whatnot. This shit is what fat people tell each other to keep from working out ("don't go to the gym, bro, I know so many people who ruined their joints there, some even died, it's not worth it!")

OP here, just did a small test walk, went with half of my starting goal, so 5kg/11lbs in water bottles, but them in a rucksack nice and tight, so they won't wobble around and went for about 45 minutes. My heart rate went up just a little bit and I was sweating a lot (that could be because of the hot weather, though), but other than that I was fine. I think I can handle higher weight. But what I noticed is ever so small pain in my lower back, barely noticeable though. Now I don't know if that's because of faulty posture or the added weight, I've had lower back pain and stiffness for several years now, so I can't really tell. Your talk about herniated discs and joint issues kinda discouraged me, watched a few videos on herniated discs and that's something I won't have. It's like with every exercise people recommend and advise against it, and now I feel conflicted. I think what I'm going to do is go out with those 20% bodyweight waterbottles and see how my body reacts and decide what to do after that. If you read in the newspaper that a dork snapped his back because he tripped with a backpack full of water bottles think of me.
I don't see why pictures of my "gear" would do any good, my man, it's not that interesting. It's a backpack, 4x 1,5L bottles and 4 1L bottles, filled with tap water.

So now it depends on why you want to do the walks with the added weight.

If you want to do it to just get stronger and fitter, you're better off starting a strength program, and doing cardio.

If its something you want to do for fun (hiking around for days at a time is dope), then I would say build a strength base first.

Especially since you've had lower back issues, I would suggest building up your strength in your back and posterior chain first. So do stuff like light deadlifts, squats, hyperextensions.. Once you have the strength there and a bit more bulk you should have no issues with the walking stuff.

Make sure also to have good gear with good support etc. Good luck man

If your pack only has 2 straps you need to read up on backpacks a bit. Get one with padded lumbar strap that goes around waist, and sternum strap that holds shoulder straps together. It will be much more comfortable and load the weight where it should go on your body... resting on top of your hips rather than your shoulders.

keep in mind that with backpack alone you're shifting your center of gravity backwards and more stress is put on your lower back. For light weights it shouldn't be a problem, but in the long run maybe you should consider buying weighted vest?

I want you to think about this for a bit and about reasons why this is wrong..,

i never watch cartoons but did that guy have a full beard all his life

If you don't see yourself jogging in the near future, you won't make it far with a heavy backpack lmao

I'm too dense, enlighten me senpai

Holy fuck. Who is that?

Kek

We train back squat vs front
Design of backpacks over many yrs vs front packs
Manner in which indigenous carry loads.

Your legs/hips and spine are designed to carry weight. Logically you want weight as close to spine as possible. This is best done by loading up hips or being close to spine. Loading mass in your front puts weight away from spine and off your hips bc your guts are in the way.

I work as a mailman and do this daily.
It has done wonders for my endurance
At your size it will probably add muscle too if you eat enough to gain weight.

>Walking around with duct taped up bricks in a backpack.

Great idea user

I have been running to the but stop with an empty backpack (take one station downhill to a grocery store. I dont want to fuck my knees running downhill), then running uphill with the backpack full of groceries. Its pretty fucking hard. Makes going grocery shopping a little more fun too.

backpacks fuck your upper back posture real bad

>Do you think that would actually work out or would I just snap my back?

It will make you more tired, that's it.

pic related, everyone who watches Dragonball has tried the Roshi training method

>literature
Lmao nigger, you read kokou no hito, not literature.

>For starters I'm 55kg/120lbs and 170cm/5"7'
>wants to literally do Master Roshi's Turtle School training

just lift you retard

>But what I noticed is ever so small pain in my lower back, barely noticeable though.

you'll be in a wheelchair in no time

Don't do it OP.
I had to carry around an extremely heavy backpack all year for my first year of secondary school because the school didn't have enough lockers for anyone in our grade to have one. Ever since then I've had terrible posture.

When you carry that much weight on a hike as a non-military guy (no weapons or stuff like that) you are doing it
W R O N G
R
O
N
G

kekked and checked

False.

No, you false.

Bo?

He's right, OP
Fill your backpack with handguns for weight or everyone will think you're a faggot