Can we settle this once and for all?

What's the best beginner program for combination strength and aesthetics?

PPL or GSLP?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/2plmr4/ice_cream_fitness_icf_5x5_review_4_months_progress/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

SS+MAD MILK son

I think you may have missed the "aesthetics" part.

Any.
You won't be aesthetic after 6 months (that is how long MAX a beginner program should last)

I repeat, nobody is aesthetic after 6 months of lifting unless they were active and already pretty decent looking beforehand.

Just pick a routine, be consistent with it, aim for proress, and put some damn effort in. No program will do it for you.

Everyone who has been lifting long enough knows the truth that routine is not even in the top 3 most important things for looking good.

>he thinks those are mutually exclusive
strength=aesthetics

Rippetoe does not recommend GOMAD if you're already fat.

lol u wot

>objectively the strongest man in the world.

So what you're saying is there's no reason to go to the gym 6 times a week with half a dozen exercises each time like in PPL rather than just go 3 times a week with 3 exercises each time like in GSLP?

How long does it usually take for a skinny person to become somewhat aesthetic? Considering regular exercise good diet and average genetics? I've started about a year ago and I feel more or less in another year I'll begin looking decent

Upper lower, probably.

I stand by progressive bodyweight for now, since it grants me an ocean of time to do a ton of volume.

*Skinny fat

In the grand scheme of things, it makes little difference.
You might make the progress in 4 months instead of 6, but thats not really significant if you plan to be lifting for the rest of your able life.

Its not as important as discipline, good diet and putting in real effort and pushing yourself.

Do whichever routine you enjoy more and that you will commit to better.

GSLP is a modification of SS to appease the masses. Chin-ups + arm accessories + high bar squats - GOMAD + AMRAP so you don't spend a month doing shit with baby weight. Not necessarily the best routine.

Yeah you're right.
Realistically it will take 2-3 years to get to a point where you are big enough for people to know you lift while also being lean enough to not just look like a strong fat guy.

I know a lot of Veeky Forums say you can only be big OR lean naturally. But its not true unless "big" to you means 200+lbs

how does that not support my argument

he is HUGE, he just needs to cut. Its not like you will be ever the best strongman

AlphaDestiny's novice program is pretty great. It has all the necessary compound movements with high volume, and also has exercises for direct arm and ab work. Gets you strong really fast, and all the high volume is great for putting on mass.

Like two years to start looking good, yeah

Post it, never heard of it.

I just did SS for two months and switched to GSLP Veeky Forums version after stalling on press and bench.

>not doing Reg Park's original beginners lifting program
>he got swole before sterons made it to the west

reg park was active in the 50s, during which steroids were already available in the US and had been for a decade+

So do absolute beginner routines come down to picking whichever one you want and simply developing your body and knowledge on weightlifting until you can form your own routine?

Same here, I've been lifting for a year, look 'normal' now rather than as a cancer holocaust victim, so I figure about another same amount of time until I start to look ottermode or whatever

Only to a certain extent
Aesthetics are related to str but not equal

>thinking thats natty
Yea good luck with your fake natty program lmao

1year if you are not fat.

>beginner
>PPL

The only acceptable beginner routine is a LP, preferably SS with the appropriate accessories. No this is not a meme.

nope

youre idea is skewed by lifters who are on steroids, for natties strength equals aesthetics

>inb4 i know this guy whos natty but he barely squats 2 plates but is jacked
yeah sure but hes strong in some other exercise

Go fuck yourself, Alexmanlet Leonidas

Why couldn't PPL be LP?

It can. It's just too much math for most :^)

Rippetoe also does not recommend doing GOMAD for 6 months

>little difference
>6 months of progress in only 4
In 3 years optimal guy would be a whole year's worth of progress ahead of unoptimal guy. How you think that adds up if you're lifting for the next 20 years. Sounds like making sure to be optimal is pretty fucking important by your numbers.

I've been doing SS myself because noob, what "accessories" should I be doing?

what do you mean LP?

Linear progression

It is until you spend more time trying to be optimal than you do just working and creating good habits

What's a good 4 day routine for beginners?
UL or Push/Pull, with 1 day between? What about how to incorporate deadlift 1x/week?

How much of a difference is 3 day vs 6 day for a beginner?

Monday 3*5 bench and 5*10 ohp
Tuesday 3*5 squat and 5*10 deadlifts

Thursday 3*5 ohp and 5*10 bench
Friday 3*5 deadlifts and 5*10 squat

Add 5 pounds to every successful 3*5 and make the 5*10 relative (like 60%) of the 3*5. Add 0-2 accessories of choice, like abs or calves or something

>looking decent
Stopped reading right there fatboy

Yes we all did, it was the last words of the post

What are you talking about you literal retard

Jesus Christ that much deadlift will fucking kill you. Who the fuck is deadlifting 300 50 times (a weight easily achievable in 5 months)

its normal procedure in 5/3/1 BBB

wat?

BTFO

>Effort will kill you

Who is the retard here user?

The program that you are able to do, and you notice has the most positive affect. All depends on the person once they make up their mind to work out. The largest part is the discipline.

Everything twice a week high volume brosplit from the start. Focus on pushing up the numbers each week. It's as simple as that.

Fuck all these online programs designed by dyels and realize that literally everyone that has actually gotten naturally jacked does high volume bodybuilding work. As long as you are adding weight each week the strength gains will be just as good or better than these strength programs.

Who is more jacked in your gym? The 'bro' that does high volume with multiple exercises per body part or the autist doing 5x5 low bar squats with his 100 dollar knee sleeves and belt that looks like he has never lifted a weight in his life?

any tips on squats?

i do the effort but unlike bench and ohp they dont become lighter. i have to deload at 85 kg every time

P90X

He is a extreme, usually strength does equal aesthetics. For the common man at least.
I have never met someone who looked good, who wasn't strong by most peoples standards. When I say most people's standards I mean like 1/2/3/4 for 1 rep. Usually all it takes is the bench, and even then less. By this boards standards, you aren't strong until you reach 20 pl8 deads

Nah, bro. Fucking Insanity.

Billy Blanks

Routine?

greyskull + ab wheel and chin/dips

highbar squats because my lowbars look like goodmornings and my lowbars like highbars.

i am really flexible though. third world squat is easy and i can do a full standing pike.

If you deloaded more than twice and didn't overcome your plateau, time to move on to intermediate programming.
Lowbar squats actually are supposed to look like goodmornings. As long as your ass goes below your knees, it's all good. If your low back limits you, maybe you should grab a belt.

>intermediate programming.
such as?

phul or something?

or better yet, which program would give you the most gains if you have plenty of time and are not on steroids

ICE

CREAM

FITNESS

YOU FUCKING

FAGGOTS

>BUT BUT BUT BLAHA

Depends on your goals I guess. If are intent on aesthetics, do a PPL or UL split, else go for Texas Method. All these will give you gains for quite some time before you have to switch again.

As a beginner you can't expect to be aesthetic or strong.
Put your time in, lift hard.

blaha is the biggest fucking meme since SS, what are you talking about? he's a beginner, why would you make him do ICF instead of SS???

yeah, i don't trust that guy

it took a couple years for me to wear size medium shirts and have them fit well off the rack

a couple years after that I now wear size large. I'm extremely happy.

>ICF
lol fuck off, post proof of it working or fuck off, its not for beginners

Soz for liking to reddit

reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/2plmr4/ice_cream_fitness_icf_5x5_review_4_months_progress/

>some fat faggot in ten months looks better than blaha has in his entire fucking life on his program

Which is a shitty program desu

if you are a fag

Why is it shitty I'm asking unironically

It doesn't fucking matter which novice program you do as long as it has squats, DL, bench and ohp. With some form of linear progression. If it has auto-regulation like GSLP then it is even better. Throw in as many accessories as you like.

Novice programs are just meant to get you up to speed as quickly as possible. You really shouldn't stay on a beginner program for more than 6 months. You won't become aesthetic in that time frame.

In short, do whatever novice program you want for 3-6 months and then move on to a real intermediate program.

>he thinks progress is linear in lifting past the first 6 months
Lmao

Clueless

>letting a beginner do a 5/3/1 style program
do you hate gains

It has all main lifts, in a LP manner from 3x5 by adding 5bls per succeeded 3x5. every 1 moths he will add 20lbs, compared to SL who adds 30lbs on the main lifts in the same time, except squats that could easily be bypassed by add in 10lbs in the beginning instead of 5lbs on the squat.
Or he skips the 5x10 and do a 3x5 instead and just BTFO of the shitskin SL, if he just wants a fast LP. But the 5x10 offers great volume and practices the main lifts.

up