/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
pastebin.com/1HgVcGam
pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
chinfl.blogspotco.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
iwf.net/doc/technical.pdf
yashathoughts.com/

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S_e6bFRKi0M
youtube.com/watch?v=df7KIhiidts
youtube.com/watch?v=1CM7wI3k7KI
youtube.com/watch?v=ib5hgOsemd8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What's everyone training today lads? I'm doing Paused Front Squats, Snatch, Clean and Jerk, and Bench Press.

been dealing with an injury. Some light tendonitis from the jerk (had it earlier because of bad squat form). Next week I'm starting a new program and hopefully be good to go. Goals by the end of summer are 100kg cj and 80kg snatch.

Snatch

3x1 at 80%
3x2 at 85%

C&J
3x1 at 80%
3x1 at 85%

Front squats

3x2 at 85%

Basically cardio day today. First day back in a week so was rusty but lifts went good.

What a fucking manlet.

And he lifts more than you.

A manlet who clean and jerked over three times his bodyweight

>Tried to go to the gym today
>Closed

What is Memorial Day even

today i did snatches and backsquats. back squats up to 185 kg for singles, and snatches for singles. so close to snatching 100kg, I can taste it

Power jerk behind the neck + jerk grip OHS 3+3
No feet clean under knees + jerk 2+1, 80% 3sets
Front squat 4RM

Lads, I know this is a /plg/-tier question, but do you wear a belt when training squats (especially front ones)? To me it seems counter-intuitive as, well, it isn't a competition movement and it's done as an accessory to the Olympic movements -
which I don't personally do with a belt anyway. Yet, naturally, I can increase training intensity with a belt, if only for squats. So, what's the general consensus?

Snatches, a few front squat doubles, behind the neck presses and some back work.

I fucking hated shit like that. It's why I pay the extra $10 a month to go to Anytime

Does your anytime have decent bars and bumpers?

You'll never get a consensus. But I do heavy backsquats with a belt, and that's pretty much it

If you do your snatches and/or clean and jerks with a belt, you should probably squat with them, at least for your top sets. If you don't snatch/clean with a belt, don't use one.

Yeah, that was my reasoning, but since I'm not a very clever guy I thought I'd ask you guys.

THAT'S STUPID, EVEN LU XIAOJUN WHO DOESNT WEAR BELTS ON HIS COMP LIFTS WEARS BELTS WHEN HE SQUATS

youtube.com/watch?v=S_e6bFRKi0M

He's one guy who happens to be one of the world's most elite lifters who also happens to have very unconventional technique. For an average Joe, they should squat how they lift. Or not, who gives a shit? It's just squats.

Also he doesn't use a belt when he front squats. Do whatever you want for back squats since they're not a specific exercise.

youtube.com/watch?v=df7KIhiidts

>tfw like olympic lifting but dont have space for it in my homegym
>have to stick to powerlifting type stuff instead

maaaaaaaaaaaaan

If core strength isnt lacking who cares

why does it look like his hips come up too fast and then he pushes through the rest of the lift with his glutes? am i just unfamiliar with front squat technique or what?

I think you're overthinking it. Lu also has extremely odd proportions with his extremely short femurs.

How to get under the bar faster on the clean?

Whenever I fail a clean I still get the bar to between my belly button and my sternum. I'm getting enough height, I just can't get under it.

>very unconventional technique.

SPOT THE RETARDED

everyone is different

>tried to PR for 2 hours the other day
>strength is there, technique is slow and shit
>bar kept being just slightly too low for me to shove my elbows under it
>didn't matter if I would clean or power clean
>finally hit it
>camera wasn't recording
Why is life so cruel?
I should probably do more front squats/hang power cleans. Front squats to work on having that stable bottom of the clean position, and hang cleans to work on speed and power

What do you guys think?

high hang cleans (from power position) and tall cleans

He squat jerks and pulls the bar into his hip on cleans. He has unconventional technique. You're a retard.

Do lifts not count unless they're filmed? High hangs are good for speed under the bar.

I did Paused Front Squat (125kgs), Snatch (60), Clean and Jerk (90), and Bench Press (64x5x5) today. My snatch is still so shit (max of 70) in comparison to my clean and jerk (104) and front squat max (138). I STILL can't figure out snatches. Fuck my life.

My local one does, but most of the other ones I've seen do not.

I feel bad for most pple in these threads. Beginners programming for themselves / doing cookie cutter programs.

Feeling like shit most days and not explosive at all? Well stop doing heavy squats and pulls so often.. Also too many waste their time doing full lifts all the time - they're not the best way to leanr technique / power production in different positions.

People with powerlifting / strength training background don't really understand how to get better at this sport.. It's just getting your absolute strength up and trying to survive your snatch / C&J sessions for them.

Bump

with numbers like those, how can you stay motivated to continue?

I mean, people are snatching 200kg+

do you seriously believe that you will ever accomplish anything? or do you have some other motivation? surely not strength/muscle building? since you have none?

I'm confuse

I feel bad for everyone in this thread who's actually training the classic lifts when they could just do some fucking pushups and some sprints and get more athletic than they ever would on barbell ballerina training sessions.

kek, m8y

there is a reason europe/nordic countries always come in last place in sprints

because they neglect barbell training and believe sprinting will make you better at sprinting

when in reality it is much more effective to develop huge leg muscles via BB squats and then use them for your sprint training.. at least murica trainers know this much

So are you saying that oly lifts are too difficult for you, so you stick to push ups and sprints because they're easy to do?

Everything in fitness objectively does not matter if you don't have proof. This is fact

>It's just getting your absolute strength up and trying to survive your snatch / C&J sessions for them.
Hey, that's me

>tfw 200kg deadlift but 66kg snatch
ayyyy

>He doesn't have a world class snatch so why bother

What kind of logic is that? 99% of the people who do any kind of lifting won't get close to world class weight. You want them to just give up?

Also show me someone 94 or lower who is snatching 200 kg in competition.

Because I'm having fun and I enjoy getting stronger. I don't have the time, motivation, resources, genetics, coaching, athletic background, steroids, etc. to compete on the world stage, I'm just a hobbyist. Do you really think if you can't be in the top .1% of something, you shouldn't participate in it?

What does /owg/ think of this?
youtube.com/watch?v=1CM7wI3k7KI
youtube.com/watch?v=ib5hgOsemd8

Yo sup
Does anyone here with a basic grasp of movement and enough time to train double days want a coach for the next 12-13
It's free ;^)

considering how desperate and poorfag I am and how the nearest club is 3 hours away, might as well get on my knees and beg anyone on this banana weaving forum.
What do you mean basic movements?

No, but you are pretty much close to the bottom .1 %

I mean, if you are really fucking shit at maths and physics, you wouldn't try to get an engineering degree, now would you?

I mean i would bet you spend a shit ton of time in the gym still for this purpose; multiple hours a week? no? Thats a lot of time you could use to become truly great at something else that actually suits you.

You can do a snatch without shitting yourself
90% make consistency at 80% of max
Doesn't take you 5 attempts to hit 95%

I'm a student and doing more than well at my career path who spends far more time at my work than lifting, I like to blow off steam in the gym. What's the problem with that? It's a hobby.

Forgot name
A degree and a hobby require nowhere near the same amount of dedication senpai

Smh

he's isn't though unless you compare him only to the pool of selected athletes. He's still stronger than the general public at the oly lifts, so who the fuck cares

how is a ~140 FS "close to the bottom .1%"

you don't even know his time training lmao, typical armchair e-stat lifter

140kg front squat is doable even if you have never front squatted before and have some kind of decent back squat

there is no way that can be considered above bottom .1%

>decent back squat
Also known as very rare among the general population and rare even among people who go to the gym - as most don't even squat properly (if at all) to begin with.

still working on the basics and a strong overhead position. :(

snatch/clean is fun as fuck, how have I never done these before.

front squat is ~85% of your back squat, so ~165 or around 3.5pl8, making you a really strong squatter in any non-plg/oly normie gym
no untrained person squats anything above 2 plate with good form tbqhfam

other guy is just trolling

(all for sets of 3)
Hang snatches, Snatches, Snatch Pulls, Snatch Grip Deadlifts, and then Snatch presses. I switch to the next snatch variation when the weight gets to be too much. I've been adding ~5kg to my snatch about every 10 days doing this. What do you fellas think?

Feeling kinda good fellas. Going back to basics and fixing my back squat. Hoping this will lead to dat 190kg back squat I've been wanting. Which maybe might translate to some better lifts.

As someone from a novice strength training background (6~ months), these workouts are pretty killer bros

Usually turns into 2-3 hours because of all the technique I end up practicing on top of my regular programming

Hopefully becomes better when I can learn how to actually do the exercises and use my legs rather than wrenching the bar up with my arms

I just have difficulty remembering all the cues for what I'm doing on top of actually doing them in one fluid motion. Then on top of that usually just the individual movements have things I need to work on as well. Plus balance, proper foot placement, etc. Seems so much harder than powerlifting type stuff I did before.

made by a guy who can't clean 136 lmao