Planet Fitness vs. @Home Gym

So I'm about to be a senior in HS and finally trying to get fit to join the military next year. My parents have been trying to get me to get a Planet Fitness membership, but I know the bad connotation that goes with it. I really want to start a @Home Gym so I can lift whenever I want. Nothing too much, just a barbell, dumbells, bench, power rack, and a pull-up bar. I'll be doing XC and running outside to get a cardio workout. I know the bad shit with PF, but can I get a real Veeky Forums explanation why to avoid this gym like the plague?

No real compounds
Weights only increase to 80 or 75

>can 1 arm curl all the barbells I want at home
>can throw weights clean through my wall without lunk alarm
>can have a required whiskey break before squats
>can eat a fucking whole chicken then resume set
>can watch muh stories during workout judgement free
>can yell just the WOOS from bad and boujee

the only problem I have with them is the lunk alarm.

its not as bad as they say OP
like what said
the lunk alarm can be fucking annoying but it doesn't happen often

hell yeah, my dude. Tbh my parents are so peculiar about me lifting even though I have the build and stock to do so. They keep going on about potential injuries but that can be avoided with good form.

I've been to one a few times, but I hate how there are no real free weights except for the dumbbells. The only barbells they have are attached to the Smith Rack, which doesn't even give full benefits. I've done some prior lifting and fell in love with power clean and jerk. I still love the holy lifting Trinity, but that move makes my cock rock hard.

Can you get a membership but only pay cash month-to-month? I have heard that they Jew some people into having "difficulties" cancelling - or even just flat out overcharging per month.

Honest to God I have no clue. I've heard that the $10/month comes with some gimmicks in the finer details so you might pay more.

On behalf of the state of Israel I would like to thank you dumb goyim for your sacrifice

Got the finer details. $40 start up fee then $10/month or $29.99 then $15/month.

yeah these are all issues but for $10 a month I'd put up with it if I was a novice lifter

not helpful now but the beginning of each year I think they usually do a $1 startup fee

Well... I suppose it balances out in the long run. PF is the cheapest 24hr gym near me even with the $40 extra.

It's not even open 24/7. Sometimes after going back home from long trips, the PF is basically closed.

The one near me says its open 24hrs during the week and 7-7 on weekends.I will drill the staff on that though when I go in.

You dont need to be fit to join the military. The standard is ridiculously low first of all. 3 mile run in 28 minutes, 5 pull ups, and 65 crunches are the only requirements for the marine corps so lifting wont help much. Planet fitness isn't that bad. It has equipment and as long as you dont freak out nobody cares what you do with it.

I am also now becoming a senior and am looking to join the Navy. I'm lucky enough to have a workout room at my house. I wish you luck.

Look it up on google. It says open from 5AM-12AM the one closest to me.
`I love the USMC and that's where I want to head to.The only reason I really want to start lifting is that if I'm going to get where I need to be I want to do it my way and progressively meet the standards.
Hooyah, Officer or Enlisted?

www.menshealth.com/fitness/planet-fitness-is-not-a-gym
You're probably better off just doing bodyweight exercise than going to PF. If you can afford to build a home gym, go for it and live the dream.

it's not a happy place, friend. i had read stories and meme's but thought most of it was just hyperbole, comedy, and the usual dose of elitism. i was looking for a gym in my area (had just moved), and, for lack of many other options, figured i'd check it out. cute girl working the desk, asked if i could check the place out, she said no problem. that's when things went downhill.

i went to go into the gym area, but on my way there had to pass a full-blown restaurant (???). i didn't stop to see what they had on the menu, but there was a group of lards sitting around a table eating fucking pizza, so i assume it wasn't exactly all health-foods and protein shakes.

i passed that, and then immediately in front of me i see long rows of treadmills (empty), with stairmasters right behind them. on 3-4 of those stairmasters were some women straight out of a tumblr stereotype cartoon, 300+ lbs with ridiculous hair, piercings, tattoos, the works. they had the stairmasters set to the max resistance (i can only assume) and were climbing roughly 1 step every 5 seconds, and letting their weight carry them back down to the bottom. none of them were even breaking a sweat, which was honestly impressive because i had always assumed at that size you were just sweating constantly.

i moved on to the next area, with weights, and saw a bunch of smith machines. on them were an assortment of lanklets and fats, and i don't think i saw a single person using a machine correctly. one person was doing what could barely be called quarter-overhead presses and racking the weights at the top. one person was sitting in a pec deck backwards like some kind of fucked up rowing machine (and no, this definitely wasn't one of those designed to work that way). another guy was flopping around doing "curls" like he was having a seizure. it was a circus.

finally, i went to the back area, where they had some open turf and a few more machines. there was a group of moderately obese middle-aged women back there sitting in a circle. that's it. one was lounging in a machine, but other than that they were just sitting around. maybe they were taking a break, but none of them seemed winded or sweaty in the slightest.

i was expecting to see the free weights back there, so i was confused. i looked around, and walked around the place twice just to make sure, but nope, not a single barbell in the place. i finally walked back to the girl at the counter and asked if they had any racks or benches, just in case they were hiding them from the peanut gallery i was seeing. but she just looked at me, almost sadly, and told me that nope, they don't have any there.

i said thanks for letting me check the place out and left.

never again.

I've read that article a fair amount of times in the past and it still rings true.
I've never seen it that bad in the times I went, but that's usually cause I went late in the day. There are like three smith machines in my local one. Usually filled with people with incorrect form, but I can't judge too much cause I used to not go low enough on my barbell squats.

Alright so the gym I go to daily is a planet fitness. It honestly depends on the gym you go to I guess? The one in my town is always open 24 hours, I've gone at like 2am numerous times with my gym buddy. The staff at mine at least is friendly and after talking to them they let me do whatever I want, like slam weights and break rules, I even have their snaps. I think it's a good gym to go to if you are a highschool student looking for beginner gains, gives a VERY helpful start for when you find an actual gym

I've been thinking of using PF as a starting point until I can accumulate my own funds to buy a 300 lbs barbell set. I'm looking after my best friend's dogs for a few weeks in July and getting 400 dollars out of it. As soon as I get paid, I'll probably head out to Academy and buy the barbell set I've been looking at. Only thing is I'll feel like shit just using the facilities for a month or two.

>go on craigslist/offerup/close5/etc.
>look for olympic set
>then look for power rack/half rack

and that's your basic get up. should cost you $500 give or take. next you'll be locked into a serious home gym collection and spending around $1k+ more on other shit.

t. home gym master race

Free weight options suck but I see plenty of buff dudes there all the time. There's a good chance they're only there to see females and didn't actually get buff at PF. I'm sure it's fine for a kid like you though.

I've looked at Craigslist so much for a good deal but I always come with a blank. I'm not looking to get a setup like the one in the picture since I'll be heading to college not too far in the future. My parents aren't the strongest of people and always call me to do the heavy lifting around the house. It kind of makes me laugh as I keep asking what they'll do when I'm gone.
I see a good amount of buff dudes there also. One of my family friends is literally the only one in my friend community to be swole and fit. Everyone else is either fat, skinny, or in between. There's only one other teenager who is serious about lifting.

>doing XC

The only reason I'm doing it is that USMC standards require 3 miles run. Basic XC races are 5Ks which are little over 3 miles. Plus, the XC Coach at my school is swole as fuck. Dude showed me a vid of him benching 225x15.

Hm. If it's for the USMC that makes sense. Keep your joints healthy to make sure you have no trouble with the tests and qualifications

>I'll be doing XC
What is XC?

Cross Country. Basically, people who run a lot. I've always admired them for running their asses off. I do AFJROTC at my school and always see them running for a full who knows how long. I thought it was pretty hardcore.

planet fitness is always crowded, and most people dont go everyday so you wont notice any gains, its a waste of time.

What's high school like these days? How are the Staceys?

I'm in the AFJROTC and about to be Group Commander. In addition, I'm in International Baccauluarte which is AP courses on drugs. Fucking hell, I go to a school so black it has its roots all the way back to the Freedman's Bureau. Other than overprivileged and super intelligent fucks of the IB program, the school is filled with rednecks and hood trash. Since I'm with AFJROTC friends and peer group, I ignore the other things in my school. Tbh, I don't really consider any girls who go to my school "Staceys" since all them go the two other high schools in my city or private schools.