I'm scared of doing barbell OHP

I'm scared of doing barbell OHP
so should I use dumbbells, smith machine or machine OHP?

Other urls found in this thread:

breakingmuscle.com/learn/the-overhead-press-the-actual-difference-between-seated-standing-dumbbell-and-barbell
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you are scared, do them with Dumbells seated.

Why are you scared? Barbell is safer than dumbbell.

Barbell ohp is the safest lift. If you can't lift the bar you wont get it passed your nose. And if you fail then you can't hurt yourself.

Why are you scared start with the bar and go from there

Dumbbells would be more dangerous than just doing OHP normally, just deload if you think you're trying too much weight.

It just looks dangerous to me. Having a ton of weight over my head

>implying you could lift a "ton of weight"

Yes, I can.

Anyway what's wrong with machine ohp?

but it's like impossible to drop the weight.. it's not like it's going to fall through your hands and arms

What's wrong with you? I'll tell you what's wrong with you. You're a big fucking wimp.

fpbp

Yeah homie just do dumbells with good form, it's not that much different aside from losing the benefits of back stabilazation. A strong core is crucial for OHP, otherwise you're gonna arch your back instinctively and get into trouble.

I would say keep training dumbbells and incorporate core strengthening workouts into your routine. That might increase your confidence in the OHP.

I'm a girl?
Okay, I'll go with dumbbells

You're missing out mate, The Press™ is easily in my top 3 favourite lifts. Just start with the bar and focus completely on form at first. Make sure the bar path is linear because that helps a lot with stability. As for safety, as long as you're strict pressing (no leg drive) you'll never get a weight above your head you can't handle.

If you don't OHP you won't OHP a ton of weight. If you did OHP you wouldn't be scared of it.

Front raises is the only objectively safer exercise.

if you fail at OHP the weight wont move from the starting point on your chest. Bench press on the other hand, now that is true terror.

???

OHP is rather safe, compared to other compound lifts. There isnt really much risk of dropping bar onto your head, only thing you should be afraid of is bending your spine, but that wont happen if your form is correct.

From the Ripptoe himself 'the only lift that could kill you is bench press'.

>>implying you could lift a "ton of weight"
>I'm a girl?
What did s(he) mean by this.

He/She seems pretty fucking retarded

fuck off, cunt

You could drop it on your head...
The person called me a wimp and I'm not. I'm a girl.

Yeah nah, you're a huge pussy. It's stupidly easy to not drop the bar on your head, just lower it back to your chest and rack it. Worst case scenario is you have to push it forward towards the safety clips and let it drop.

I wish I was scared so I could use that extra adrenaline for gains

you faggots have it so easy I swear

>Wimp
>Girl
I can do this all day

The ceiling in my gym is low as fuck. I hit it when doing OHP.

Would doing seated barbell OHP impact what areas are worked?

Or if i did it on my knees?

You'd have to be very talented to achieve that. First, failing at the top ov the movement is not likely. With your elbow joints locked you should be able to hold a lot more weight than you're able to lift to this position. Second, even if you somehow do it, as long as you re holding the bar it cannot go through your hands and will fall on the floor before you.

If you need to drop the bar, just drop it forward. You'd have to be some kind of autist to let go and drop it directly on your skull.

This? How would you even drop it on your head? You would have to have the reaction time of a blind deaf 7 year old and even then you could just take a step back. If you're really that much of a pussy (inb4 im a grill) start with the bar if you're as strong as you make out to be. Go up in 5 or 10kg until you're at a comfortable weight.

It should be illegal to be this stupid

You will need to go up in like 5kg or 2.5kg
I doubt you can press 0.5pl8 for reps.

>Go up in 5
>You will need to go up in like 5kg
???
And I do lmao0.5pl8 for reps but wow you really pwned me!

I'm legit afraid of bench.
Two times I couldn't finish rep and had to dump barbell behind me.

>not benching in the smith machine
Never gonna make it

>Give set range
>given another set range where previous minimum is maximum.
>Is confused
>Is girl
>pwned
I belive is a girl more by every post.

Being scared of OHP has never even crossed my mind. Do it in the squat rack and set the rails at chest height. Rest the bar on your collar bone and if you push it to failure then bring the bar back to your upper chest and put the weight back on the rack.

D-do you wanna fuck me?

I browse Veeky Forums while watching yugioh anime.
Yes

Don't push it to the absolute limit make sure you leave at least one rep in the tank.

Don't be a fucking pussy.

Is
>squat
>deadlift
>ohp
>calf raises

enough for a girl to build a nice body or should I do the high rep high frequency routines I see girls on IG/youtube do?

>what are back exercises
>what are chest exercises
>what are arm exercises
>women

but deadlift > back, arms
ohp > chest (indirectly)

Hehe

>women
>chest exercises
Yeah nah. Women should never hit chest directly, unless they want to go down in size

>Women should never hit chest directly, unless they want to go down in size
?????

Pls help i will have to deal with this issue tomorrow

Just do it pussy, machines lead to muscle imbalances.

Pretty sure he means cup size from chest muscle gainz, but would that actually matter unleas you went steroid abuse mode? You can't apot reduce fat and the average woman cannot produce enough test to drastically alter something like that from the level of activity most women would do on a chest exercise

If you start by doing OHP with the bar (which you should for warm up anyway), you'll realize it's not scary at all. It's almost impossible to drop the bar on yourself unless you're a complete retard.

there's not an enormous amount of difference. when standing, you need to stabilise yourself a little more. if you're sat with a pad behind your back, it's easier to brace yourself against it. both are excellent exercises and one can substitute for the other

>ohp in Smith machine
Manlet detected

Seated OHP lets you move more weight due to taking much of your core and legs mostly out of the equation. Seated or standing is ultimately down to preference, and you shouldn't really overthink it.

breakingmuscle.com/learn/the-overhead-press-the-actual-difference-between-seated-standing-dumbbell-and-barbell

Awesome, thanks guys, seated it is.

I'm going up in weight tomorrow so i'll have larger weights on it so i would have had some super wide grip or would have smashed the ceiling well before locking elbows.