/fasting/

’Bout to start a fourteen-day-long water fast. Any tips? The most I’ve done before is two days.

Other urls found in this thread:

exrx.net/FatLoss/WhyDietsFail.html
t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1392804
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I went 5 days before. I don't have tips except to take it slow when you break the fast.

is water fasting the new meme? one year ago everybody was doing keto, and now is this? why not simply cut 500-800 calories from your diet?

To test myself.

bump

It's new meme and as a veteran Veeky Forumsizen, I find it both sad and pathetic.
Mo'fuckaz want the results without putting the work.
Oh well joke's on them since they eventually get the weight back after a few days/weeks of normal eating

A fatso in youtube got viral after doing a 1 month water fast and everybody picked up on it

not even muslim and have a muslim friend... since i was on a calorie deficit diet i told myself might as well fast with him and see him as motivation.

BOY HAVE I DROPPED just eating 800 calories before i sleep and bit of water with my supplements [multi-vit., omega 3, vitamin D3]

fasting for 1-2 days is fine sure. after 3 days if you dont have enough adipose tissue you will have muscle catabolism which is literal starvation. you'd probably have to be 40% BF to consider something this extreme.

>fasting for 1-2 days is fine sure. after 3 days if you dont have enough adipose tissue you will have muscle catabolism which is literal starvation.

nice broscience there m8

You're full of shit
Go back to your lab rat

>why not simply cut 500-800 calories from your diet?

Because I don't enjoy feeling like shit.

maximum fat oxidation is ~22 kcal per pound of adipose tissue. this isnt enough to cover a normal TDEE for non fatties. ketones and amino acids can only provide so much. the day after your liver runs out of glycogen you go catabolic

ketones are muscle-sparing

I hope you're stocked up on Bronkaid
I've seen people post about doing water fasts since around 2012

holly crap, are you shitposting or genuinely stupid?

bump

>provides no evidence to back up his dumb claims
>hurr durr u iz shitposting and stupid!!11@1

kys you homo

How to fast? Do I need to consume salt and vitamins? Let's say I want to fast for five days? How do I break my fast? I imagine I would be tempted to eat a giant pizza.

Because doing a water fast, you don't have to spend 6 months getting progressively weaker, going nowhere, constantly having to readjust your caloric goal and at worst losing muscle. A water fast puts you out of training at full strength for 2 weeks at most and is thus much, much more efficient.

don't forget that sweet, sweet caffeine is an appetite suppressant

Yes basically because of What kind of bullshit are you talking about. Light cutting with ~500 kcal deficit is fine

For the sake of Zyzz let this be a joke. Why the fuck would you cut for 6 months?

if you're high body fat a traditional cut could easily take up to 6 months, 18%+ and will likely lead to muscle loss as you cannot keep up with your training volume.

And that's the problem
"m-muh dirty bulk" idiots who go way above ~15% bodyfat will then complain when their cuts are long and straineous
But it's your own fucking fault for running a surplus that long. When you're planning to bulk for a longer time then incorporate a few days or a week where you eat maintenance/deficit/fasting which you can combine with a deload just to give your body some regeneration. Sounds crazy at first but at least you shed a bit of the shit you've built up. Then continue bulking. Rinse and repeat. This is to stay at reasonable bf%
And if your starting position is anywhere above 20% bodyfat you have no right to complain that you have to cut long and lose muscle. Get cut first and then bulk you idiots

Yes, I completely agree with you. I just believe that fasting is a superior option either way as you could lose several kgs of fat very, very quickly with minimal muscle loss and without the need to adjust according to training volume.

It's fairly well known in most sports that in order to best preserve strength (i.e. muscle) a crash diet is always preferable, that doesn't mean it has to be water fasting of course but it is just one option that also happens to be easy to manage and may very well be the best option for protecting against catabolism assuming little to no training is done during the fasting period.

It also doesn't have to be several weeks straight of fasting of course, but could be one week on/one week off, a week with a few days break etc. etc.

Starvation is bad, OK?

Weight loss is largely a matter of reducing calories and increasing activity. So if 500 fewer calories a day than you need to maintain is good, 2000 less is better, right? Not really. Because below a certain threshold, your body thinks you are one of those starving refugees on TV, and does a bunch of things that hurt your long-term weight loss.

Read that again: starving is a bad way to lose weight.

Why this is so:

Your metabolism slows down. Your body will burn fewer calories to maintain itself, and you will feel awful. This is bad for weight loss because as soon as you quit starving yourself, you'll gain weight fast because your metabolism has bottomed out.
You will tend to lose muscle more than fat. Your body will naturally try to conserve fat and cannibalize muscle if it thinks it is outright starving. This is bad because your real goal is FAT loss, not weight loss. This is how you have people who lose 100 pounds and reach their "ideal" weight, but still look amazingly flabby. Also, losing muscle slows your metabolism down even further, amplifying the giant horrible rebound effect once you quit starving yourself.
Your life will be a living hell. You'll eventually feel horrible, the diet will fail, and you'll binge eat and regain everything you lost, plus interest.
You want to run a clear-cut, but tolerable calorie deficit to sustain weight loss over the long term. Very obese people may be put on very low calorie diets by their doctor, but these are medically supervised and designed for people who need to lose weight now or suffer severe health problems. Be safe and stick to 500 fewer calories a day than you burn, which is the equivalent of one pound lost per week.

More info on bad dieting:

exrx.net/FatLoss/WhyDietsFail.html
t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1392804

Yes I find that to be reasonable too. But the week long fasting bullshit that surged up these past weeks because of that one pisshead on youtube who didn't even timestamp or anything (believe me guise i tell trooth it was 28 days guis pls like and subscribze xdd) is lunacy.
Crash diets are meant to be short. So in the long term water fasting will fuck you and your body over (organs etc.) because you are quite literally starving.
Other than that it's fine.

Can we stop talking about whether fasting is better or worse than cutting and start talking about fasting.

>What do you do while fasting? Do you just sit at home and wait it out?
>Did you feel hungry all the time and wanted to kill yourself? Did you get hangry?
>Was it difficult to fall asleep on an empty stomach?
>And most importantly: How much weight did you lose?

Up to a month is a very short time for a diet. I've experimented with this myself and it's worked fine for me, far better than traditional diets.

But did you do straight water fasting or are we talking stuff like IF?
Also: was it for a straight period of time or did you go about it in an on/off type of fashion?

Water only, first did one week straight followed by three days off, then another week fasted, then a week off, then I did 14 days straight. Was ready to return to training at the same weights and everything within 2 weeks. I also did not train at all besides simple calisthenics and walking.

For the future, I think I might fast for a week or two following the completion of each training cycle, as this probably would be the most efficient manner for me to control body composition.

yall are too pathetic to change your eating habits
too retarded to use proven methods
want to cheat into losing weight

all of you water fasters are never making it
you will not succeed

Reminder that the spastic who dickrides Jason Fung admitted to being a 300+ pound lardass who couldn't restrict what he was eating unless he completely stopped eating.

>>It's new meme and as a veteran Veeky Forumsizen, I find it both sad and pathetic.
>Mo'fuckaz want the results without putting the work.

How the fuck is fasting for 2 weeks not putting the work