Gym in Rio

Any BR bros out there (specifically zona sul in RJ) who can help a brother out with gym suggestions? I've been looking around at the gyms near me and none of them except for Bodytech, which is stupid expensive, seem to have enough of a freeweight section. I do powerlifting and really just need a place that has a squat rack, but you guys seem to be obsessed with smith machines.

Smart Fit looked alright, but the one near me looks like its smith machine only. Where do the actual lifting Brazilians workout?

I'm going to be here for a while and I need my squats, mang. Living in Ipanema

I know there's gotta be somewhere I can do some squats.

fpbp

Why not just squat using one of the dead bodies littering the streets?

lmao1body? Spot the dyel

smart fit has regular benchpresses and the squat and ohp rack is on the smith machine

>the squat and ohp rack is on the smith machine

You mean like the smith machine has a rack on the outside of the cage where I can freely place the bar?

Didn't look like it in the picture on the site. I guess I'll walk over and take a look. Haven't yet because they don't offer an aula experimental for me to try it out.

yeah, thats what i meant

Coming from a Paulista, I heard the fitness scene is specially big in Rio, since it is told everyone wants to look good. But I guess you are right, gyms in Brazil kinda sucks a lot is reminiscent from old bodybuilding 90's style, so free weights isn't big here, at least as I wish it was. It will be tough to find one, but try looking for hardcore bodybuilding(ironically) or PL gym. If you are traveling don't bother with lifting seriously.

On side not, you can't Squat/OHP on Smart Fit.

Sweet. Should be gravy then.

Yeah, man definitely noticed that. It seems that the average Brazilian gym goer is very obsessed with machines. I spent some time in Sao Paulo for work and was going to a bioritimo for a while, which wasn't bad, but it was all smith machine. I've been poking around for a PL gym but there's nothing nearby; I'm here for up to a year so definitely need to lift seriously.

>On side not, you can't Squat/OHP on Smart Fit.

Shit, is that gym-wide policy at all locations? fuggg

my dad is from são paulo and he used to own a gym in Mooca, he told me that there were plenty powerlifting gyms there, he have couple old photos with some strongfat dudes deadlifting 6pl8 and shit

brazil only has bodybuilding wannabes and fitness normies. I got lucky to find a fight gym near me really cheap, spacious and with an okay crowd(no grannies with ankle weights). The squat rack is kinda shitty and there's no power rack, not even rubber floor but oh well, it's what I got

The annoying thing is that I would be so much happier with a grungy and dirty gym that just had loads of free weights and actual racks but here in Rio its all about these fancy gyms with shit loads of machines and treadmills.

Smart Fit is the brazilian version of Planet Fitness.

Back on the machine subject: Even though they are more expensive than free weights, they can come out as cheaper because since they market is so saturated the brands can actually sell a entire gym worth of equipment for less than you would expect, it is easier to "teach" to use machines which reflects on how much you pay to employees, gym owners are really lazy as a whole, besides these two critical factors are: it is really expensive to keep and start a business in Brazil and hardcore gyms are really underground with a fairly low percentage.

São Paulo is a big city, it is easy to say there are a lot of gyms here when you are part of gym world like that. I can't pin point him anything because I have shit to do in my life. Besides we a talking about Rio.

Eh gotta admit you are right, our lifting population is fairly low at least compared to US, but the gym business is growing, which is nice. But I'm pretty much in the same situation as you are.

It is a city focused on tourism and like I mentioned BR lifting scene isn't big at all.

Yeah, I just got back from walking to the nearest smart fit, and a few other smaller gyms nearby. None had a place for squats. I guess I'll just have to grin and bare it.

So much for reaching 5 plates this year.

Enjoy your travel, this is the best place to not obsess over lifting, if you going be in the long term then it is a different talk.

It is long term unfortunately, so obsess I must.

FUCK. Sorry but I can't help you in this situation bro, I'm from São Paulo. In your case it will be a tough journey to look for a gym with free weights and don't expect much when you find one, online search tools will obviously help you but word of mouth is the predominant means of communication of those gyms. Online communities can help you, so Facebook may come as a better help than Google.

BR fag here, I got bad news for you

Brazil is lame when it comes to any form of strength training related routine

Smartfit won't allow you to deadlift and most gyms don't even have a squat rack

Been there done that, best option you got is find a cheap crossfit gym, those are the only places you might find oly equipment

I appreciate it. I've been walking around to ones nearby and asking friends. I know I can eventually find one somewhere, but the thing is having one near where I live so its not a hassle of metro and buses just to work out.

Gonna check out Crossfit Carioca which is near me, but I don't think they have free lifting allowed from looking at their site, only classes and WODs