Is waking up in the middle of the night bad?

I sleep at least 8 hours every night, and feel like I get enough sleep, but I wake up 2-3 times every night.

It's probably because I use a lot of nicotine at night but I really don't want to stop. Also I drink so much water I always piss at least once during the night (not old man prostate dribble, but a full force flow of like a liter).

I always fall asleep immidiately afterwards without any trouble but are these interruptions bad for my sleep cycles and hormones etc.?

No its normal.
Humans in history, before the modern working week, never really slept a full uninterrupted 8 hours.

I know I've read about this meme cycle of getting up to have secks but what about the 4 hour REM cycle or whatever? Am I interrupting it constantly if I wake up every 2-3 hours?

bump

if you're waking up between cycles i think you should be ok. but it sounds like you already know what's causing the disruptions and you know what you should do to stop it

polyphasic sleep is only common in places where its dark for a long period of time. assuming you're exposed to artificial lighting you shouldn't be sleeping polyphasicly

I feel the most well-rested if I sleep for three hours, get up to piss, and then sleep another 4-5. Better dreams. I drink a cup of tea and water before bed to facilitate this.

I'm not about to quit drinking water for this. It makes me feel great and I never get headaches, literally ever. I've been drinking 5+ liters every day for nearly a decade.

I'm asking if its hurting me to figure out if I should try to do something about it, or just let it be.

why not just drink earlier in the day

this isn't true, has no evidence backing this claim, and is based on bro science.

I drink all day. It's not like I try to fill some daily quote and stop when it's full.

Depends how you're waking up. If you're woken up forcefully by loud noises or a full bladder, then your REM cycles probably get interrupted, which is better to avoid.

Get used to drinking less before bed. It's kind of like an addiction. I used to drink a lot of water too, even though my body didn't need it, just because I felt thirsty. Lower your water intake in the evening bit by bit untill you're no longer thirsty so much.

I don't snack, I don't eat fast food, I don't eat frozen dinners. Now I can't drink a warm cup of tea with a book before bed? Honestly fuck that.

It's purely psychological. You are most likely, deeply unhappy or unsatisfied.

You can. Just don't complain about waking up in the middle of the night. Or you can drink less like 2 hours before you drink your tea. Works for me.

man you guys are autistic. Do you honestly think Chad is as obsessed over this inane shit? While still looking better than you? Find a hobby because this obsession is unhealthy

Well like I said I'm not really complaining. I'm asking if it's bad for me. If not then I don't care because I fall asleep right afterwards again without failure every time, but if it does hurt my recovery then maybe I have to do something about it.

Thank you. Someone needed to call out that Broshit.

Why are you remotely concerned about sleep cycles and hormone levels when you abuse nicotine? That's like focusing on a zit when your fucking arm is ripped off. Stop using it.

Stop drinking before you go to bed. Experiment with it and cut your water intake 1 hour + before bedtime. I stop drinking water 2 hours before I plan to sleep and I never wake up to piss in the night. Don't worry about being super hydrated around the clock. Your body is designed to fast in the night.

If you feel fine during the day then it's probably not a huge deal. But I would reckon getting up 3 goddamn times a night really fucks with your deep REM sleep, which might fuck with your alertness and energy during the day. I'd go with the science and say yes it's bad for sleep cycles, but it's not a life or death thing. Especially if you feel fine during the day.

If you're worried about your hormones being affected by it, cut the middle man and go to your doctor and have your testosterone levels checked out, but do a little homework first. You'd be surprised what doctors will call 'normal' test levels.

there is quite a bit of evidence backing it. google '2nd sleep'

I've visited a doctor once 10 years ago (mandated by military service) and I don't plan on going there again.

Yes I feel totally fine during the day, alert, energized to lift etc. as long as I get 8 hours of sleep or more before finally getting out of bed ignoring the pauses.
>Stop using it.
I know but it feels so good. I already quit for 2 years but picked it up 6 months ago when I started working with people who all use snus. I don't smoke weed anymore, I drink barely ever, I don't eat candy or snacks (this one is honestly just because I don't feel any urge to), I don't take cheat days or skip a workout unless I genuinely I feel like I need to. Nicotine is my last vice but I love it. I don't smoke so it doesn't affect my lungs. I'm honestly happier now that I gave myself an addiction to fill than I was when I didn't use it.

Dude fuckin this. I drank a cup of black tea and water before bed, meditated a little bit, and the 5 hours I got were fucking amazing. I woke up feeling like I slept for half a day, and I still had another hour to sleep before my actual alarm clock.

Not all doctors are bad. Just find a good one.

If you feel fine during the day, then don't stress yourself out about it. It's probably harmless. Messing up sleep cycles is only a problem when it affects your waking hours. Like kids who go to bed too late and wake up in the middle of their deep REM cycle for school, and are therefore fucking zombies for the first 4 hours of the day.

>but it feels so good

Listen, I won't bullshit you, I've never used nicotine or been addicted to it so I have zero experience about what you're going through. But I do know that that shit is really, really fucking bad for you. No I'm not super invested in your well-being, but I do give somewhat of a shit user. Please stop using.

>I already quit for 2 years

You're really triggering me.

>but picked it up 6 months ago when i started working with people who all use snus.

Don't be so weak-minded. You sound like a pretty well motivated guy, so channel that inner strength and don't give into the normies.

>I'm honestly happier now that I gave myself an addiction to fill than I was when I didn't use it.

Of course you're happier, you're back on an addictive compound. You can't correlate pleasant feelings with what is actually good for you. Otherwise heroine addicts would be the healthiest MFers on this planet.

Please stop it.

>You can't correlate pleasant feelings with what is actually good for you.
I know what you mean and for the past few years I've gotten pretty good at this. I honestly get more pleasure from eating a good balanced diet (around 40/40/20 macros, lots of fiber, all the micros), sleeping well and stretching every day so my body feels good and like it's running at 100% efficiency than any amount of alcohol or drugs can give me.

But then I sit down to read a book or grab a cup of coffee and pop in that snus and my body feels those waves of relaxation on top of already functioning well and... there's nothing quite like it.

Your body is very habitual. I remember when I first started cleaning up my diet about 5 years ago, it was very fucking hard at first. I'd crave junk food all the time, I'd even have goddamn dreams about eating from my favorite pizza joint and shit like that. But I never gave in and after a few months, those cravings stopped. I started looking at fast food, chips, cola, and sweet the way I used too. It was almost like looking at dog food. It was just something that I didn't eat or want to eat anymore.

I think addictive compounds work in a similar fashion if you take a cold turkey approach. They're probably more extreme but I think that you can definitely hunker down and just say no to it and that the dependency will fade as your body adapts a new habit.

But I've said my peace already. I can't hover over you and make you stop.

*I stopped looking at

goddamn it

Yeah I definitely know that feel. People always think I'm punishing myself or restricting myself when I don't want to eat a pizza or other junk. In reality I feel no attraction to most unhealthy food. It's probably mental my autism throwing up warning flags about the amount of fat and carbs but hey does it matter if the reality is I don't feel any urge to consume it nor would I get any pleasure from it?

People are always trying to guilt trip me into eating shit, much more often than I legitimately feel an urge I would even have to resist.

Hey user, you know what would add some flavour to the tomato soup I'm going to prepare?

>brrrrrappapppppfpfpfpfpffffff *splort*