Anyone else an angloboo? The British empire and british history in general is pretty interesting

Anyone else an angloboo? The British empire and british history in general is pretty interesting

Yeah I'd say I am. My grandfather - who was Scottish - moved to England when he was young, lived in London during the Blitz and then joined the RAF to fight the Germans. I occasionally mention how envious I am of him for having gotten to live during the height of the British Empire.

>anything after 1914
>the height of the british empire

nah, while it reached it's peak landmass in 1919, WWI marked the beginning of the end for the Empire.

I think I’m one, though mostly for the latent imperial period (1815 - 1914)

Stuff like the Raj, scramble for Africa, and the colonisation of Australia and New Zealand is pretty interesting to me

*late, not latent

Student studying the Empire, ama

Why didn't the British empire tried to assimilate the natives of colonies like the Spanish did?

>tfw both England and Germany died after 1914
WW1 was a mistake

It really was.

We should have sided with the Germans against the perfidious French

When it all falls apart

stay mad yt

your grandkids will be brown

If you’re talking about Africa and Asia, it’s because

1) Colonial reign was relatively short in those areas, most of it only coming under British control in the second half of the 19th century. Compare this to the 300 ish year reign of Spain in her colonies

2) Population was much too high, especially in India, to really make that much of a cultural impact - at the hight of the Raj, there were only about 100,000 British administrators working there. Far too low to have that much of a cultural and genetic impact (though a class of mixed Anglo Indians and Anglo Burmese *did* arise, it was still vastly outnumbered). Compare this to the native population of the Spanish colonies, which, after being decimated by disease, was small enough for the Spanish conquistadors and missionaries to greatly impact)

3) General differing attitudes towards colonialism - Spain in the 1500s was still a very catholic and still almost an feudal society - they had a much more zealous outlook about conquest and conversion towards than the British, who were competitively more liberal in their approach to colonialism than the Spanish (even when compared to other 19th european colonial powers)

this board in general is teaboo

Weren't there disease epidemics in South Africa after the Europeans arrived? I thought that lowered African population there.

pic related is a pretty great quick read (~200pgs) that does a good job at summarizing the empirical nature of the british
the history is fairly dense but it's still fairly interesting

There were, which made it a lot easier for the Portuguese and Spanish to dominate the area (settlement, rape/mixing with natives, conversion etc)

Smaller populations of conquered peoples have a much harder time resisting the influence of the conquering power

Oh shit sorry, I thought you typed South America instead

Tropical african climate in general makes it pretty difficult for Europeans to settle in large numbers, but they still did have quite the impact (language, laws, Christianity, etc)

Meh, I'm of two minds about it, a lot of today's problems are because of the British Empire. For example, country borders in Africa and the Middle East, mass immigration especially of Indians to other continents, Japanese relations with it's neighbours partly because the British built the navy they were so proud of and made them too cocky, China still is butthurt about the Opium Wars, etc.

I sure am, but I gotta give'm a hard time, especially with being cucks now and all.

Is "The Great Boer Wars" (by Conan Doyle) just a non-fiction book? Or is it good?

Does being a Seaxboo count?

This, how fucking glorious would it have been to live in the Victorian era though?
>sail to india
>ride horses and drink gin and tonics while complaining about the weather
>shoot some pathans and return to fuck your brown servant girl
>stop over in africa on the way back home
>conquer an ancient kingdom in a week, fuck your black servant girl
>arrive home, be honoured as a hero, and marry pure white virgin girl

Interestingly enough, on average Indians have 3% Anglo DNA.

>country borders in Africa and the Middle East
This meme needs to die. There was literally no way to produce borders everybody would accept, and at no time in history have any of those places been fighting or wanting to fight over who owns what. It's retarded as fuck to expect the British to bring peace where it never was.

No other people on Earth manages to rile Europeans more than the British. God, it's beautiful.

Americans spring to mind.

British history is quite interesting, although massively overrated (at the expense of Spain, France, Russia...etc) in mainstream media because of American cultural hegemony

That being said, it's cruelly underrated on Veeky Forums (possibly in some attempt to "counter" its overrating in other media)

except considering that britain had colonized and occupied those regions, they were completely accountable for setting those borders and responsible for the consequences

Literally the only British history Americans are taught in schools is what relates to the American Revolution. The Magna Carta - English Civil War - 7 Years War - Lexington & Concord.

Past that we learn a little about British actions against Napoleon and Britain during WWI and WWII.

No one cares about school
This isn't where normies learn about history

We're talking about movies and video games, aka what really teaches the mass about history
Just look at the solo campaign of BF1 for exemple
You get 6 characters:
>Four British Empire guys
>One American
>One Italian
Meanwhile, German, French and Russian POV are non-existent

That's just one exemple among many others, but that's typical of the overrating of British history because of American hegemony

I could also talk about the fact that for Americans (and thus in the tons of movies and games they export globally), everything medieval is about England, crusaders and templars were English, all of the age of sail pirates were English, whenever you get a movie about Rome it's related to muh Britannia...etc
It's really tiresome

I ain't gonna hate British history for that, but I can understand why some people here do

>Play Vanilla ETW
>UK
>Try conquering the cherokee, pirates, and india in consecutive campaigns
>all of the sudden france declares war like the assoles they are and I'm dragged into war with marathas
>Economy is shit now
>Fuck

If they are portraying the Western front it is disappointing that they left the French out of the campaign. However the Eastern front didn't make it into the base game at all so there's not much point complaining about the lack of Russians, and of those "Four British Empire guys" only one is an actual Briton, there's one more American, an Australian and a Bedouin that, though I can't remember the details, probably came from Ottoman territory. Added to that is your conflation of a Swedish developer with complaints of Anglo hegemony.

Then your generalisations at the end of the post. When I googled "medieval films" the first one that came up was Kingdom of Heaven. The main character in that is French. Knightfall, a 2017 History Channel drama about the Knights Templar has them headquartered in Paris with French characters, by "muh Britannia" I assume you mean the two somewhat recent 9th Legion films. Studio films tend to come in thematic waves to capitalise on or spike success. I only saw Centurion which was a low budget survival film with a Roman theme. Certainly no money for big budget sets unlike HBO's Rome for example.

You aren't going to have many people disagree with your fundamental argument if you stick to the facts. But the more you deviate from facts the more you look like just another butthurt /int/poster that doesn't have a leg to stand on without peddling bullshit which this board is unfortunately rife with.

>If they are portraying the Western front it is disappointing that they left the French out of the campaign
Yeah, you have three campaign stories on the Western front
One is an African-American, one is a Brit and the last one is a Canadian RAF pilot
Three fucking Western Front stories and no German or French POV

>However the Eastern front didn't make it into the base game at all so there's not much point complaining about the lack of Russians
The fact it didn't make it while muh Gallipoli did is a shame

>"Four British Empire guys" only one is an actual Briton
You still have four fucking British Empire POV and zero German, French or Russian POV in a WW1 game
The absolute state

>not making your first action of the game declaring war on France and then staying at war with them for 100 years because conquering mainland Europe is what pleb countries do

l
The Eastern front made it into the game as a substantial six map DLC, the same as the French though obviously it was a fundamental misstep not including the latter in the campaign because they portrayed the Western front. Not including any of the central powers in the campaign is arguable, I think it was probably brainlet pandering, "muh nazis" (although on the other hand Germany did press Austria-Hungary), and they could have gone the easy way out by portraying the Turks.

As an aside, the Royal Flying Corps character was not a Canadian but an American.

>The Eastern front made it into the game as a substantial six map DLC
Yeah, let's talk about dem DLC lmao
One shitty DLC about the French because they had excluded them from the base game
Then the same for Russians
And then.....guess what as third DLC........yes! the fucking British again!

>As an aside, the Royal Flying Corps character was not a Canadian but an American.
Which makes zero fucking sense btw
I mean, if they wanted to depict aerial battles on the Western Front, they could have had a German pilot since Germany had the best aviation in the war
Or if they really wanted it to be on the Allied side, they could have had a French pilot since France had the best aviation among the Allies (and since, unlike the RAF, the French Air Force did indeed have some American pilots)
But no, it had to be the RAF because muh WW2-spawned stereotypes about British pilots (totally misplaced in a WW1 setting but unfortunately very common) and muh epin parallel with the Blitz over London in WW2

I believe the term is "Teeaboo"

Americans generally are retarded like that. Does anyone remember the shitposting on old /b/ and /sp/, long before flags, when Americans automatically assumed every European is British?

There were 9 maps at launch, the French DLC added 6, four of which were DLC exclusives, and the eastern front added 6 also. Pretty reasonable considering the number of maps at launch. There were some pretty iconic battles as part of the French DLC and I think that's a big part of why they were spun off, they can't do everything in the base game it's something that will sell.

The most recent DLC with the Royal Marines introduction is the most light on new maps (although there's some great variety with the Zeebrugge raid and naval Heligoland Bight map, might tempt me to actually buy the game).

>it's another europeans hate americans because they speak english like the british, and dominate film, games, literature, and music episode

That's great, but when you consider there was no possible choice they would have made that would have produced peace, the responsibility has to lie with the local populace and not the British.

i think its pro-british. also widely read at the time in the uk. that's all i know.

>all of the age of sail pirates were English
But this is actually true

>Does anyone remember the shitposting on old /b/ and /sp/, long before flags, when Americans automatically assumed every European is British?

What I remember is that before flags on /int/, everyone throught every retarded comment was American
But then we found out plenty of yuros were full of shit

You actually have countries like Estonia mocking French military history and countries like Bosnia mocking the British Empire

was anglo until 1066. why do we use the term anglo despite being attacked from all sides, it's as anglo as they are norman scot and Viking

Right here

Which are Anglo

>British Empire
>English

What is the UK and its greater holdings other than a higher evolution of England?

God Save the Queen

Sometimes i am, but its just the vanilla empire tb h, its what you think when you think of empire, so i prefer France more often, but my "boo's" change.