Things I wish I was told when I just started

If you lift longer than a few months, you probably figured this all by yourself. These are tips for COMPLETE beginners. The list is in order from most important to least.

0) I assume you do SS like you was told to.
1) Read Harsh's wiki:
startingstrengthmirror.wikia.com/
This is single most useful resource you can start with. Don't just read it, but lift while getting acquainted with the basics.
2) Read the book.
3) Reset. If you've hit plateau don't be like "whatever i don't even like bench" and try to lift the same weight over and over and over again. Just reset and carry on.
4) Microload. This isn't a meme, this actually helped me break plateaus and pick up pace on linear progression again.
5) Post form checks. Here, on reddit, on one or all of a dozen resources listed on Harsh's wiki. Or at the very list film yourself and watch the video comparing it to what you find on youtube.
6) Eat A LOT. I was told this, of course, but I had no clue just how important this is until I started to GOMAD. This one is here just to emphasize how important food is. I personally eat more than I need, so I'm slowly getting fat, but on the other hand I still able to maintain linear progression to everything every workout. GOMAD helped me shatter the first plateau I had.
7) Do accessories. First 2 months are supposed to consist of 4-5 exercises so that you learn them properly. The actual program isn't just that. You chest is going to be small and weak if you bench just 1.5 times per week. If you are one of the aesthetic crowd, you'll want to include some curls. I personally recommend at the very least doing weighted dips for 8-10 reps on the OHP days to drive the bench. Dips were a huge help to my bench.

I discovered those too late I think, so I wanted to share so that you don't waste as much time as I did.

>don't bulk
>never go above 15% bodyfat
>squat once a week
>do cardio
>more curls less meme shit

Source on gif?

N-no homo

Drinking and lack of sleep murder gains, also willpower and consistency.

Not quite what I wish I was told, but more like what I wish I have done from the beginning. Couldve doubled my progression speed
>more, much more emphasis on form
>more protons
>more cardio
>more volume on bench, ohp and rows

>coffee 30 minutes before the workout
Cheap, fast, easy, helps me a little. Not at all important, just find it somewhat useful.

Alternative to gomad? milk really makes me sick

Peanut butter?

But surely not a gallon a day right?

>Here, on reddit
Lol

Good resource though bro.

I myself blend 4 raw eggs with 1-2 bananas and the milk itself. 800 calories that I prepare in about 6 minutes and swallow in another 2. You could probably do the same, but with something like a fruit juice instead of the milk (choose something without sugar) Might even add almonds or peanut butter to the mix.

G O P B A D

>fuck mark rippetoe
>do whatever the fuck you want
>i do 5x10 deadlifts 3 times a week and hill sprints on the other days
>come at me

I need to deload on my bench I think. Been stalling at 145 and struggling on it for about 5 bench sessions. I'm on s cut now, so I put it down to 135, but hopefully come fall I can finally bump it up, or maybe even when I start maintenance intake it'll do better.

>tfw OHP progressing faster than bench

Pretty good advice for someone aiming to maximize their body for attracting sloots. I want to add
>brace core during all lifts
>work abs every session
Having low body fat is even better when your abdominal muscles are defined.

Don't be afraid to use belt when doing squats if you feel like you need to.. Yes, you sacrifice some ab and back gains, but you might train them with something else.

>dick gets smaller the more weight you lift

Goal bodies, nice asses, no homo

>don't listen to fit
but I was told this.. and I still listened. What a disaster. Especially this thread where OP is a complete faggot and wrong.

Do 3 full body workouts until you pass out three times a week.

Never been so swole in my life. The headaches and occasional fainting is worth it brahs.

4 eggs and a banana or two is not 800 cals
unless you are getting some big eggs they are usually 60-70 cals each

i dont even think 4 eggs and 2 nanners is 500 kcal

this is good advice based on what Ive experienced in my first 2 months
If I switched to hitting each body part 2 times per week and my squat/deadlift/rows are advancing way faster than my bench/OHP does that mean I need to hit chest and shoulders 3 times per week or just add more volume? I do 3x5 but currently stuck at 175x5 bench and 115x5 OHP
For reference my deadlift is 335x5 double overhand and pendlay row 175x5

now include the milk

whats the maximum natty body that can be achieved when drinking 2 bottles of hard liquor a week?

>drinking 2 bottles of hard liquor a week
>making it

choose one

get off the liquor its the ultimate gains goblin

>Wasting all that glorious egg protein by drinking them raw.

>wasting 3,000+ calories a week on booze

she won't care about your muscles...

>high frequency is the key to maximal natty gains
>before you even begin lifting you should be able to complete the recommended US army ranger physical fitness test score
>Power Cleans from Floor + Power Snatches from Hang > Deadlifting
>Front squats with straps + dumbbell RDLs > back squatting
>1 scoop EAS muscle armor and 1 scoop Scivation Xtend with a gallon of water EVERY time you lift
>do Joe DeFranco's Limber 11 every morning
>sleep flat on your back with a pillow under your calves and holding a pillow on your chest
>get a fucking crock pot and use it

some good advice for once

>>don't bulk
How to put on muscle mass without bulking beyond noob gains?

>sleep flat on your back with a pillow under your calves and holding a pillow on your chest
tell me more user

Why a pillow on your chest?

clean bulk

>don't bulk
yes
>never go above 15% bodyfat
i mean...
>squat once a week
errr...
>do cardio
ok
>more curls less meme shit
-_-

>get a fucking crock pot and use it
I have like 10

eat around maintenance with 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight

Been meaning to do that but I wanna be sure. It's just eating good food and macros at a small surplus? Or is there more to it?

this. women care more about being funny, nice teeth and a nice face.
also, in my experience,
being shredded is much more effective than big muscles. I've had both

do some cardio you fat fucks

the heart is the most important muscle in your body

What do you recommend?

>nice teeth

This cannot be stressed enough.
t. Shredded handsome sick cunt with bad teeth.

running is the easiest

swimming is very good if you can do it in a proper setting
road biking is pretty good too
Rowing / elliptic etc.. are all fine

as long as youre doing something it's better than skipping cardio and dying at 40yo of heart failure

Can't you fix them breh? I've got two teeth that are a bit crooked and I should get braces for some time.

that's it
keep track of micros too if you want to get super anal about it

Is SS really all I need? I'm brand new but it seems like a very low amount to get started on, even for a beginner.

Also, what kind of protein shake would Veeky Forums recommend?

>Front squats with straps + dumbbell RDLs > back squatting
negro what
>do Joe DeFranco's Limber 11 every morning
this makes me want to believe the front squats + RDL > back squat. Limber 11 is fucking clutch

Keeps me from rolling over onto my side while sleeping and keeps my shoulders in a natural position

Working on it, its going to cost over 1k to have it done correctly. Handing over that much money is not something I'm used to.

Straps provide stability when used as handles attached to the bar without putting the wrists in a compromised position.

RDLs using dumbbells give extended range of range of motion

In my opinion high rep front squats and RDLs work better for me than back squats.

I will have to give it a shot. Thanks

> 6) Eat A LOT. I was told this, of course, but I had no clue just how important this is until I started to GOMAD. This one is here just to emphasize how important food is. I personally eat more than I need, so I'm slowly getting fat, but on the other hand I still able to maintain linear progression to everything every workout. GOMAD helped me shatter the first plateau I had.

You're maintaining linear progression because half the equation is how much you weigh, it's called leverages.

This is why heavier people can lift more weight, and why a heavier person lifting a heavy weight is less impressive than a lighter person lifting the same weight.

Do not get obese in order to lift more weight. This shouldn't need to be said.

i can just tell your a virgin by how you typed that

i can just tell your a virgin by how you typed that

holy fuck what a faggot

Yeah.
I would work on pull ups and dips as well.
Also curls and abs and cardio.

Kek you fag

>that I need to count calories
>just read the sticky
>that I need to spend money wisely on Veeky Forums food and you don't need to eat shit
>that cheat day can be healthy just more calories
>that clean bulking is the ascended path
>that Veeky Forums does make you gay
>that wet dreams are GOAT
>that Squat/Lunge DOMS aren't fun

Don't force yourself to do lifts your body clearly dosen't want to do

Stopped trying to force myself to bench press after a multitude of shoulder issues
Now with cable flies, dips, db bench on chest day and some bw work on off days my chest is growing far better and my shoulders are pain free

Listen to your body guys

what do you recommend for someone who is naturally strong and athletic, always had the linebacker look, but now getting to get a lineman look and getting too fat.

i like lifting, starting now.
cardio.. i like playing sports but starting to get too fat for it. same with jogging. elliptical feels awkward as fuck. i can usually do 20mins on bike but my quads usually gassed before my cardio is.

if i could give my past self advice
>fuck brosplits, do fully body 3 day a week
>protein powder is a waste, just eat more
>brace during all lifts
>focus on linear progression weekly, you should be adding weight to every lift every week
>drink a ton of water
>machines are a waste, focus on barbell movements

>2 exercises are better than 1 exercise
kind of a self-defeating argument, don't you think?

>.t dyel

>Dont follow any professional bodybuilders routines,
>Flex magazine is a meme
>no one cares if you just started lifting keep it to yourself
>dont buy a fuck ton of supplements , you get newb gains anyway
>no days off your already behind the ones who started training before you
>watch youtube and learn about the human body and proper nutrition

This is incredibly good advice, as long as you're not bitchmade and stop doing everything if it feels just a little uncomfortable.

so if i do PPLPPxx my legs will be fine?

i aim for 200-300g each week. is that a clean bulk or do i need to go lower?

lel, im giving 4.5k for gyno surgery in June. STep up

swimming is e cardio for keeping your joints

Do your damn stretches. Just do them every night before you go to bed or something. In fact, stretch whenever you have nothing better to do, you can't really overdo it.

>curl and dip accessories

I do Strong Lifts, i don't know how different it is from SS, but I was considering adding these as accessories for a while now, and this just cemented it.

Thanks mate.

amen

bad advice

200-300g of what?

I want to put my face between those cheeks... no homo.

???
of g? grams

carbohydrates? proteins? sips? fucking wHAT?

I was going to help you but after this reply you're obviously too fucking retarded to help

i aim for 200-300 grams each week
are you guys fucking retarded

Not that user, but how much cardio we talking here?

A 5 mike run every other day? Or should i look to do it for x amount of minutes instead (say 40)?

Wow, dense like fuck

A) thats not the original user
B) he's now being purposefully obtuse as part of a joke

How embarrassed do you feel?

I was told everything i needed to hear when I started but linger everyone else I didn't listen

>ITT: dyel manlet that have been lifting since Tuesday give advice.

Post pic of current body or don't bother giving "advice".

Post critique of the advice or don't bother posting.

word

SL 5x5 is better and add in pull ups and dips.

this. Weighted, treat them like the bench. Do your core exercises, dragon flags, ab roller, hyperextensions. You need a strong core. Also, very important, learn to brace properly. And grip the bar as hard as you can on every lift, muscles work synergistically.

You don't need isolation if you know how to activate your core during big lifts.

>it's better than skipping cardio

Do you mean not doing cardio or not only doing skipping/jump rope.

You can't even bench 145 for reps and you're cutting? Cutting in to what?

Yerh it goes along with the 'learn the difference between good pain and bad pain'

It does ruin the protein to not cook them ? EXPLAIN !

Is a bait, m8.

>learn what a fucking valsalva maneuver is, do it
>disregard advice from anyone that's not moving impressive weight, and if they are moving impressive weight don't blindly trust them but double check your shit
>don't ego lift or you'll snap your shit up
>don't be scared of overtraining, to overtrain as a noob you need ~200 heavy reps a week. learn the difference between overtraining and not recovering
>sleep 8-12 hours a night

>>sleep 8-12 hours a night
Never ever

enjoy ur nogainz

suit yourself/