youtube.com/watch?v=ABAD7TtlQB0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

documentary thread?
youtube.com/watch?v=OP8PCkcBZU4

>history documentary
>realistic medieval combat looks extremely stupid

Fuck real life

>american documentry
>constantly switchs footage to literaly who people sitting in a chair who talk about their shitty opinion

just fucking slash at the unarmoured guy with the blade, what the fuck lol

>American documentary
>Has some borderline insane fuck
youtube.com/watch?v=q_jGH6Np0IM

They're showing specific techniques, not actually fighting each other...

>History Channel
>There's only reality shows

>Reality shows
They're paid actors, not even particularly good ones
youtube.com/watch?v=UtxkpOokScA

lindy beige is a warrior god

depends

youtube.com/watch?v=M9J_ivMwTxc

>doc on more modern history
>"Who was [insert historical figure]?
>cuts to some pop culture clips of that figure being mentioned, like the simpsons mocking him

These are 1v1 duels from dueling manuals. Did ANYONE ever fight like this? Apply some skepticism to these dueling manuals. Imagine if someone picked up some bullshit martial arts book from today in the year 4000 and thought everyone fought like this. What if they were just fanciful "what if" scenarios given to nobles with too much time and money on hand, and they didn't in any way resemble actual fights on the battlefield?

When in the hell would a fully armored knight ever 1v1 another fully armored knight while both were armed with just longswords? This seems more like checking off a long list of fanciful scenarios than something that would really happen. Wouldn't it be more likely they'd face off with the actual tools and weapons designd to fight an armored soldier than a longsword?

Were longswords even used much in actual battle rather than just personal defense? As such, it'd be unarmored men. Probably just a noble slashing through some pissant peasant who pissed him off.

I'm no expert at all, but I'm just asking questions. I think people are taking dueling manuals at face value. The real training soldiers would get would likely be lost or just passed on orally.

t. obese LARPer who can't execute these simple moves and would die in a second IRL

>These are 1v1 duels from dueling manuals. Did ANYONE ever fight like this?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_school_of_fencing
For 1v1 civilian duels i think it's very likely

They look fucking retarded in their star spangled sallets, but I'm indubitably certain that they're having the time of their lives.

Because they were written by autistic German swordmasters who did autistic German shit like trial-by-combat 1v1 me fgt shit or by Italians whose favorite pastime was war.

Those fights are brutal group melees. I've never seen anyone fight with any kind of finesse shown in the manuals. They literally just bash one another as hard as they can. Also >longswords against armored opponents

>When in the hell would a fully armored knight ever 1v1 another fully armored knight while both were armed with just longswords?
Dueling laws were not something that was updated to match the equipment of the period very often, so often enough duels would be fought with, for example, sword and spear. Other knightly duels would start from horseback and the weapons would be their battlefield equipment (lance, battleaxe/mace, sword and dagger).
Here's a detailed account of exactly that kind of duel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_de_Carrouges#Trial_by_Combat

Meant to say to contrast them with Italians. They also write more on how to fight off multiple muggers etc.

Battlefield =/= duel. Both happened but have a great deal of differences in what weapons would be used and of course how many people are fighting. Duels DID happen though so yes, plenty of people did fight like this. Battlefield fighting would be different but it doesn't meant it's TOTALLY unapplicable. They're still practicing the effective use of a weapon.

Armoured knights would fight each other with longswords in duels (which again, were a thing that happened) and even in a battlefield situation are not necessarily going to have the best tool on hand for the job. If your lance breaks and you have a choice between your sword and your fists, you're going to go with your sword.

Swords were a backup weapon on the battlefield. Spears and lances break and as I've already said, a sword is better than using your bare hands.

youtube.com/watch?v=ABAD7TtlQB0

>tfw we will never go back to the glorious 24/7 Hitler History Channel