What is the absolute best way to get my press up...

What is the absolute best way to get my press up? My 1rm is 160lbs at 175 and I want to reach 225 as fast as possible without trading in the natty card. What I'm doing for it right now is

2x/week
OHP
work up to a heavy double (~90%) with a backoff set
>weighted dips
3x5-8
Lateral raises
3x8-12
and some tricep isolations

What you got for me Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140014613
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bill Starr's OHP routine

4-6x/week
Build up to daily max triple
Do 90% backoff sets. As many as you can do with excellent and fast form.
Buy your own weight set for at home, if you must.

If i press only as accessory for Bench (1-max2 times/week), do i have any hope to ever get it up?

I did 1x60kg this week after zero shoulder workouts in the past three or four weeks. Only did bench and a few sets of standing one armed dumbbell presses before the OHP.

Anterior deltoid isolation.
Long head tricep isolation.
Pectoralis majoris clavicular insertion part isolation.
For the third one low cable crossover is probably the best workout.

>2x/week
>OHP
>work up to a heavy double (~90%) with a backoff set
>Lateral raises
>3x8-12
>and some tricep isolations
Well definitely dont do this

since the weight on ohp is relatively low, high frequency(5+ sessions a week) should stimulate it fast
>isolation isolation isolation
lmao what a goofball

switch all your presses to close grip. i only ohp once a week and close grip bench twice a week. ohp been flying up

heavy push press, strict press doubles-triples, z-press, facepulls, weighted dips or cg bench

>My 1rm is 160lbs at 175 and I want to reach 225
>without trading in the natty card

Hope you have dank genetics son. For me, linear gains stopped around 185 and I had to get fat to get up to 205. I dont lean back like a motherfucker though.

you guys just have no clue when it comes to periodizing most guys would press 225 if they just focused on it

Easy way, look up any intermediate bench routine and do that for ohp

>Easy way, look up any intermediate bench routine and do that for ohp
I'm very skeptical this would work

you need to build mass no way around it

wrong, if you ever pressed you'd know that
stop living in e-stat ville buddyboyo

you have nothing to lose try it

Just press often with a lot of volume and intensity.
Problem solved.

Now go lift.

>upper body strength from compound movement carries over
WOW, its almost as if doing a lot of OHP also increases your bench :OO

I got to 100kg doing it once a week for a single set.

As much as you might think it is obvious, many people on here claim that bench has no carry over to OHP, or almost none.

The first time I ever OHP'ed in my life I did a 100kg single - which isn't good, but it shows that there is some acceptable carry over. I had done 0 shoulder work before.

That said, I feel like OHPing is a good addition to my bench routine and I really like the way it feels.

Honestly, this. Veeky Forums is always too autisitc about routines. My push-press 1RM is 240 and sometimes I just do dumb bullshit 20x5.

There is no secret
It's literally all genetics and a long time training the excercise or the muscles involved.

I've seen people pressing 70kg for a few reps and benching close grip 150kg.
I pressed 2 plate strict overhead from a deadstop and I could close grip bench 140 for reps at the time, but I was doing absolutely retarded lazy training, barely felt like I was working out.

For some reason though, no matter what I do, I can't reach 2 plate again.

>The first time I ever OHP'ed in my life I did a 100kg single
bullshit

I'm 6'4 240lbs m8
As I said, nothing impressive but enough to demonstrate carry over.

OP here, forgot to add that I have zero interest in your advice unless you have ever pressed more than me at less than 15% bf.

>The first time I ever OHP'ed in my life I did a 100kg single
Ok.
>which isn't good
Only if you're a fat fuck.

Will give this a shot, thanks bro
Amen, off to the gym right now.

I usually find that people with big presses focus on pressing (surprise).

Most of the time, people do no program OHP correctly and do it as a second thought and wonder why it won't budge.

It's the same as the people who complain about lack of calves and genetics but don't train them enough.

>only if you are a fat fuck
See My bench was 150kg the first time I tried OHP

calves are demonstrably more genetic than shoulders though, I had developed calves before lifting, I have never ever seen somebody with developed delts without lifting

that bench is low as fuck compared to a legit 100 kg OHP, you probably push pressed it. Someone that trains both evenly will bench 165-170 with a 100 kg OHP, and given that you didn't press before that 100 kg is pretty much BS e-statting or shit form standing bench

>push press
>standing benchpress
Nah, neither, sorry.
I have my quads and glutes flexed as hard as I can in the starting position, I would literally lose strength would I allow my knee to bend.
Well, maybe not if I intentionally did a push press.

And I brace my abs literally the same I do in the squat, allowing the lower back to bend in an OHP hurts like shit.

I don't know where you pull these weird proportions from.
The time Omar hit 100kg his bench was around 160. That's not much of a difference.

and Omar consistently trained both, meaning that he had good technique/accustomization

the idea that you step in with a mere 150 flat bench and get 100 for "muh first time" is unrealistic, UNLESS of course you did another delt-related movement with high loads (db shoulder press, incline, ...) or had plenty of practice on the lift prior to doing it "the first time".

I press 235 lb weighing 205.

Here's my tip for you:

USE.FUCKING.PERIODIZATION.

do 1-3 week of 75-80% with lots volume and accessories
Then 2 weeks after that of 80-85% with little less volume and accessory
Then do 1 week buildup at 87.5-92.5%
With less volume and NO accesory
In the end do a week where you test your 1 RM.

It's really simple desu

I can put it in even simpler form. Train your ohp as you would your bench press.

I don't consider the movement complex at all.
Benching requires a lot more fine tuning to me than OHPing does.
It's literally getting tight and up right and then pushing through. That's it.

I don't even know what you are arguing for with me here.
I'm literally like 50-60 pounds heavier than you, whatever comparison you think is justified: it's not.
225 OHP is nothing for someone my weight.
Which makes sense seeing that I never trained it.

I do external rotation for my shoulders, that's it.

Most people on Veeky Forums do 3x10 bench every week then whine when they stall at 195 lb so no. Dont do that.

>like 50-60 pounds heavier than you
I'm not the guy you argued with, I'm 220 lean
>225 ohp is nothing for someone my weight
it's exceptional regardless of bodyweight, atleast while speaking in a non-weightlifting/powerlifting environment, we're talking about strength levels of a 3+ year lifter here. Considering proper form of course.

Across all guys that were mainly benching, I haven't seen a single one with a OHP/bench ratio exceeding 0.5

you're claiming a better ohp/bench ratio than Omar isuf who focussed on this goal alone for 1-2 years while having a worse bench - while claiming it's the "first time" you did the lift. Not buying that, sorry; post a vid to prove us wrong bucko

I have been lifting over 3 years, yes.

>post a video
Sure, if you are around for it next time I OHP'ed you can go and take a look.
To take it away: I use a belt and wrist wraps.

What is rm?

Kek, just how naive do you think people are?
Have you gotten away with lying all your life or something? We call your bullshit, post proof. Everyone takes form vids or 1rm vids for shits and giggles.

rep max

>3x10 bench every week
Explain?

I do chest on Tuesday and friday

I start with bench press and i do 6 sets
1 warm set and 5 heavy(for me) sets

Then i do 6 sets on incline bench press

I got 4 reps on 1pl8 after 1 and a half month of lifting

I take videos of my squat everyone time I squat, I have only once taken a video of a single bench set.

It would be a nuisance to find a spot high enough to record a OHP.

I mean, believe whatever the fuck you want lad, go repost this thread in approximately 3 days and I will probably be there.

>I-I'll post proof later
Thought so. We can tell you are a teenager. Don't make wild claims and give retarded advise in the future.

I got mine up by phraks greyskull but everything else lagged behind. Take from this what you will.

and i'm still talking about someone that has trained the lift itself for 3 years.

Bench has a certain carryover, yes, but it's not somehow that strong that you have a comparatively far stronger OHP than bench (100 kg OHP ~ 160 bench) while only training the bench alone, and (seemingly) no other delt work? You need to clear something up m8

it doesn't, unless you have a front delt weakness holding your bench back

otherwise you would be far better off just doing more bench press and more chest/tricep work

Lmao you are literally scared of remaking he thread fearing you'll be BTFO.
I don't have a video right now, no matter how often you ask me for it.

I haven't given any advise in this thread, so I don't know what you are talkie about.

What are your stats btw?

>What are your stats btw?
Because no one would lie about this.

You can, if that makes you happy. I mean, you have 3 days to "prove" them by taking videos right?

Deflecting ey?
Cus you're a retard and bit off more than you could chew, and won't provide anything to back up the claim 4 people have called bullshit on, with your childish blasé attitude despite having elite level lifts.

Total sets dont really matter as much as your total reps does.

Pic related is what you should base your training on.

If you do 5x5 at 90% every week then gg

Well yeah most people on Veeky Forums are retarded pieces of shit. There are maybe 5% of knowledgeable posters and they're usually called baits by dyel retards.

What is 5x5?

5 setsx 5 reps?

at this moment there's several guys calling you out, I'm the one asking for elaboration whether you have done other delt-work because it's really weird otherwise.

I mean, you seem to have your main focus at increasing your bench, but then give us a OHP number of your FIRST try that is a whole strength class above the bench you are trying to improve, all while considering that your horizontal press is far better trained than your vertical press.

This really makes me think, as it is certainly not the case in a regular lifter - maybe you're just a super mutant, who knows

I cannot possibly prove to you that the first time that I OHP'ed was me hitting 100kg.
How can I possibly prove that to you?

I know this board is piss weak across the board and all you fucking bro splitters are literally crying tears over the imagination that someone OHPs more than you the first time he touched the exercise, but get a fucking grip.
You care about your abs and whatever, don't be so eternally butt hurt when someone outlifts you.
Go call me fat and ugly if you feel so offended.

nah it's 5 exercises 5 times a week.

So at what point should one quit linear progression routines; greyskull, ss etc? Or would you say it's different with the former due to it being 3x5 instead of 5x5?

it would be more believable if you had a 170-180 bench instead of just 150

I literally don't know.
What do you want me to tell you?
I bench max legal grip width, maybe that's shoulder dominant, maybe muscle mass involved in OHP and benching wide is very similar, what the fuck do I know?

You base your theoretical bench:OHP proportions off what? One guy? Maybe 10 that you spectated in your gym?

@41673235
>baww why won't people belieb ;_;
>everyone else has to learn OHP and progress their way to elite level lifts, why won't you belieb that I'm young klokov uwuuuu :'(

Stop talking shit. You've been called out, and like pottery, you can't provide a scrap of evidence. You trolld us good!

>young koklov
>elite levels
>@
You are beyond help

Look, m8.
You done goofd in this thread. You're too new to shitposting on Veeky Forums to know believable strength ratios. Try again next time with some pictures of some powerlifters that you edit in mspaint enough that reverse search doesn't catch it, ok little buddy?

Yeah, sure, repost this thread in 3 days (that's the day I max out bench and OHP afterwards) and make sure not to kill yourself afterwards.

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140014613

There are like 20 people in there with even closer bench:OHP ratios.
Funnily enough people are also reporting to barely ever OHP.

Honestly, I literally have no clue what the ratio is supposed to be, but it's quite obvious that you guys are all litterally retarded.

When you start stalling like crazy I'm guessing.

I benched 153kg and pressed strict standing 100kg on the same month, but I was 87kg bodyweight.

I just did a heavy set once or twice a week, I think someone with good genes and heavy and wide framed can press 100kg strict on the first try, it's not that unrealistic as long as they bench over 140kg.