Is stronglifts the best 5x5 barbell routine?

Is stronglifts the best 5x5 barbell routine?

Can I incorporate curls into it as well or is there no point?

Could I essentially do 5x5 forever? I plan on doing cardio every Tuesday and Thursday as well, either running, swimming or cycling

The strongest man in the world and /ourguy/ Eddie Hall does a brosplit. 5x5 and starting strength are meme routines. Just pick a body part or two and do a couple different exercises 4-5 times a week and eventually you'll build a routine based on what you're comfortable with.

It's pretty good

Yes you can add in accessories, the official app has an option for that. You have to pay to add them but you can look at them.

You can't keep adding 2.5kg every workout. Eventually you stall. That's the way it is. 2.5*52=136 plus the bar gives you 156kg. Do you think everyone is repping that 5x5 after a year? Hell no

5x5 squats? thought that was the best amount of sets and reps for heavy squatting desu

Brosplit style workouts are great for advanced lifters who have a significant basis built up and periodize training in months, if not years. Advising a beginner to follow such a routine is terrible advice.

He's also on truck loads of gear
When I start stalling I'll increase by smaller increments or until it feels like I've mastered the weight I'm currently at for 5x5, and cool I'll download the app now

Why do some people do 3x5 does anyone know?

I would do fierce 5 novice, it's a little more varied and balanced than stronglifts.

No idea why people do 3x5, those last 2 sets for a 5x5 really kill the legs. why skip out on 2 last sets bros the hell

3x5 is better. 5x5 becomes too much once the weight gets up, and you make shit progress because of it.

Curl if you want to curl.

You can do a 5x5 or 3x5 program for as long as you want, but don't expect linear gains to last forever.

Starting Strength is better imo.

because he lifts so heavy he needs almost a week to recover from it. if you'd be pressing 150kg+ or squatting 300+ for reps you wouldn't be able to do it every second day

So once you hit the wall of not being able to go up the weight anymore with 5x5, how do u then train your muscles

Shit man really? alright bro ill try a 3x5 tomorrow and see how it goes. Should I increase the weight or keep it the same?

>Why do some people do 3x5 does anyone know?

3x5 is the superior program. 5x5 is a meme made up by a guy only in it for the money. Go read starting strength.

3x5 or switch to an intermediate program

>Why do some people do 3x5 does anyone know?
Because you don't need more then 3 sets of 5 reps to give you the strength (and size) you are looking for as a beginner. You'll probably fail more sets using 5 sets and have to reload or redo the same weight which leads to slower progression.

It's pretty good if you're a beginner. Especially the microloading of 2.5/week will make you progress big time.

Add in pull ups, dips and maybe even some other bi/tri movements

Just keep going up by 5 lb/workout for as long as you can.

So all linear programs follow the same general progression. You increase the weight by a small amount every workout until you start failing sets. If you fail a weight for several workouts, you deload and start increasing from a lower weight again. Simply because of volume, 5x5 will hit stalls and rep failures more frequently, which is why 3x5 is generally a better program.

All linear progression programs are targeted at beginner lifters who are able to make gains at such a quick rate. Eventually, you reach a point where you simply can't increase the weight linearly anymore. At this point you can either keep on the same program and add weight at a slower rate, or switch to an intermediate program. Intermediate programs work different rep schemes and weight increments. A common next step from 3x5 is Texas Method, which programs a 5x5 volume day with lighter weight and a 1x5 intensity day where you seek to set a new 5RM. TM adds weight weekly, rather than every workout. And 5x5 is doable because it's intentionally done at a lower weight, you're not trying to do 5x5 and add 5lb every workout.

There's this strong as fuck powerlifters/strongman mythical strength. He has a blog on blogspot. I recommned you read it, he goes over a lot of things I'm going to here.

A low volume 5x5 program allows you to show strength you already have. It does not really build strength, it just allows you to use it.

You should work in many rep ranges. 5x5 is just a way to burn out. The only time a powerlifters or similar would do something like that is after 6 odd months of high volume bodybuilding work, in order to o use the steneth they built.

Also, intermediate doesn't exist. You should go from building strength to still building strength. There's no point where you magically cross over into some magical intermidiate realm. Bodies arnt that complicated. This isn't an rpg where you level up.

Personally I grinded away at 5x5 for a while, stalling at super low lifts(160x5 bench, 200x5 squat, ect).

Decided fuck it, did high volume routine, best thing I ever did. Magically, gaining muscle made me stronger. Who could have predicted?

yes stay with compound lifts, there is nothing better. You can also add some isolation for parts of your body you want to change, like flys.

>tell my gf to start sl5x5
>first workout
>she uses the app
>app says squat the bar 5x5
>does it
>app says bench the bar 5x5
>does it
>app says row 30kg 5x5
>fails after 2 reps
>try just the bar
>fails after 2 reps
>try 8kg dumbbells
>fails and gets annoyed, goes to do cario instead and decide that lifting isn't for her
was it a retarded amount of weight for an untrained female? i should've known it was too much. stupid fuckin app

alphadestiny novice program is probably the best one out there for general strength but it isnt powerlifting specific. just for recreational lifters that are just starting out and want to build a solid foundation of 1/2/3/4 and 20lbs of added muscle in 6-12 months

I've been doing SL for a couple weeks, am I meant to increase my squats by 2.5kg every other day or every 2 workouts?

I've been increasing every "Workout A"
Increasing it by 7,5kg a week soudns ridiculous

Did she rest properly after failing?
If she failed while really pushing herself she'll keep failing without a good rest before trying again (I usually do from 3 to 5min after a failed set)

>strength training is only low reps