I made some squat stands today

How much weight do you think they can handle if I'm careful?

I used an 80lb bag of quickcrete, two 10ft 4x4 sections. I couldn't tamp it very well, but I tried hard.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Goplus-Adjustable-Standard-Stands-Barbell/dp/B019EWU6U8/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1493088170&sr=1-6&keywords=squat stands
amazon.com/Marcy-Utility-Weight-Bench-Black/dp/B00G44X9D6/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1493088319&sr=1-1&keywords=flat bench
youtube.com/watch?v=zdOPGTSvsRM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I wrapped 550 cord on the one part and plan do do it 3 times on each in leiu of duct tape.

RIP

Is this in your front yard?

Back yard. What's it to ya

>local man dislocates spine in diy exercise accident

bringing down the property value at mom and dads house bud

Man, please. I rent this house with my hot girlfriend. I also built a target stand for my bb gun a couple months ago

Base is not wide enough. Simple physics. No matter how much cement you put in those buckets - it needs a wide base to be stable.

How stable do you need it to be though, honestly? I'm pretty sure I can unrack and rack a weight without knocking them over.

That's not what matters. What matters would be having guards so that when you fail a rep you have a chance of survival higher than 2%

>it's an "user makes a homemade guillotine" episode

Damn I love /diy/

OP what is your current squat at

IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES

Man, fuck whatever this topic was about, I need to see your /diy/ projects.

Seconded
I love some good diy

i'd have used square buckets man if you have to lean on an edge of the stands re racking anything the bottom will swivel

This is retarded. OP you're going to end up getting hurt or fucking up your plates if you use this stupid shit. Buy a cheap power rack

U wouldn't trust that thing. Just buy a squat rack, they're only a few hundred bucks. That's a nice yard though. working out in a nice sunny yard has to be god tier.

>nice yard
>weeds and bare spots all over the place.

Yeah, no.

>local man dies in homemade gulliotine incident
>neighbors heard man scream "fuck you rippletits" and "fuark I'm so aesthetic" before a loud thud
>man was living on government money for mental disability

In all seriousness op this is incredibly dangerous. That thing will just tip over when you're using it if not just split when you put more than the bar on. Theres a pretty good powerrack on amazon for like 150 dude. I dont want to offend you but its very obvious that youve never done any real construction work and i dont want you to hurt yourself or even kill yourself in order to save a few bucks.

If youre thinking "whatever its not that serious" just imagine literally the smallest thing going wrong and having your girlfreind find you dead or paralyzed. Its not worth putting her through that. Or if somebody else dicked around near it on a day where you left weight on the bar. You dont want to hurt anyone

I'm sorry, you think a 4x4 in compression will split from mere hundreds of lbs of force?

why do you have a culdesac in your backyard

please post more

YUH!

Is this new pasta?

OP, this seems really dangerous. I would worry about the wrack falling forwards or backwards - you need "feet" going forwards and backwards to help balance. Also, I worry about the wood splitting - then it will tear through the duct tape and if the bar has enough momentum, the wrack will fail at the rope portion. This is a disaster waiting to happen. That being said, I enjoy your creativity.

"I wouldn't trust a wooden squat rack for very much the same reasons I wouldn't trust a wooden automobile."
-Mark Ribbletits

Can I have your bbgun target stand when you die? Which is probably soon.

dude must have narrow shoulders

just get a cheap ass fuck separate-legs squat stand online w/safety pins

>put the bar on
>Load it up to a good amount over your max
>Let it sit like that for a while
>See if it explodes

That doesn't matter at all. He can just ditch the weight; it will land in the grass.

What the hell is keeping those upright beside the bucket? you need a stable base to distribute the weight across a bigger area.

why the fuck is it 10 ft? do you plan to climb a step ladder while getting on?

plant more bushes in your backyard for more privacy bro

I haven't gotten around to buying a sling swivel yet

Idk maybe mid two hundreds now. I figure this'll do until I get back in shape. All I have is my weighting bar and two generic 45s right now, but that'll do for a few weeks I think. I used to be kinda strong though! I hit 500 in wraps in a meet in like 2014 or 15.

amazon.com/Goplus-Adjustable-Standard-Stands-Barbell/dp/B019EWU6U8/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1493088170&sr=1-6&keywords=squat stands
amazon.com/Marcy-Utility-Weight-Bench-Black/dp/B00G44X9D6/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1493088319&sr=1-1&keywords=flat bench

Totals $100, if you're worried about stability, get some sand bags from you home depot and lay 4 of them against each squat stand, otherwise if you're confident with your DIY stand then use it, make sure to make some safety spotters.
Also what he said, plant some lime trees or fast growing bushes in the back for more privacy.

Just the concrete really. I agree that I'd like it to be wider. Maybe I could slap some angled braces on there. Squat stands from Walmart are like 57 bucks free shipping lol. I've already got 42 bucks in this.

The bottoms of the notches are 53 and 55 in for me and her respectively. I'm only 5'9"

We're putting a privacy fence up this summer, but yeah bushes would be cool.

No im thinking he'll be tired after a set and wedge into the wet and rotting 4x4 shit pole and split apart the fucking ductape.

if he falls forward? hes supposed to overhead press 3pl8 over his head as hes falling over from the last squat on his 5x5

I really tried to make my case but if you insist putting yourself and your girlfreind in danger then the only advice i can give you is to do it the closest to possible right way. OP you need to dig a hole and submerge about 1/3 of the 4x4 or in this case the entire bucket into the ground to make it stable then cover it with more concrete. this is the best cheap way to ensure you dont kill yourself. I dont want you to be on one of those stupid tru tv shows please

I'm replacing the duct tape with 550 cord like on the right one in 3 places. That shit ain't breaking. Also it's pressure treated wood.

Also I've had years of experience ditching weights. Complete confidence in the lack of safeties. I'll teach her well too.

Easier approach for an ambulance in the front.

You don't press it over your head, you press against it to push your head underneath and around it

LIGHTWEIGHT BABY

My calculations say it can support a load of 85 kN.

So that's 8500 kg at rest.
But if you have a moving load, the force required to stop it grows dramatically.
This is probably a bit of an over-estimation, but I'd say it's good for up to a 200kg barbell + being careful.

>local man severs head in makeshift guillotine

Holy fuck OP, power racks are like 200 buck on Amazon, and you won't have a 40% chance of killing yourself with that guillotine lmao

Have you guys never learned how to fail a squat and ditch the bar?

You drop it off your back. Way safer than the possible back injury of rounding and trying to pull your head out around it before it can fall down with no safeties.

Many methods, here's a variant: youtube.com/watch?v=zdOPGTSvsRM