Swimmers on Veeky Forums

Are there many swimmers on Veeky Forums?

It's one of the most rewarding forms of excercise you can do. Whether you swim at a competitive level, for yourself, or even do open air swimming, post in here to talk about the sport we all love.

Quick question to start - can anyone verify whether or not BCAA capsules are worthwhile as a supplement?

fucking somali immigrants have destroyed my favorite pool. fuck minneapolis

Stay mad white boi

du wite wuman want kangz in their lyfe not week niggas

My local swimming pool's water is a little warmer in the morning, for the old people.

Checking in. Twice per week for myself, 2-2.5k

One good thing about military bases is that they almost always have heated pools. I usually start my day with 1000m to wake up, and if swimming is on the schedule for cardio I do 1500-2000. I know I can do more I just get so bored swimming laps.

I fucking LOVE swimming.
Currently swim 2 or 2.5k each session
I do 400m free, then 100m breaststroke, repeat x 4 or 5
Also 4x 25m sprints peppered in there to keep the heart rate up

When I'm sprinting I imagine myself as a lion with huge shovel paws that claws through the water at terrifying speed
I roar underwater for maximum effect

That actually sounds like solid advice, thanks

Very similar to my routine. I do 2.5k a session, four times a week.

1k of that is with a pull buoy, really helps your stroke. But I don't do much sprinting in my routine, so i'll borrow that from yours. Do you swim for a club?

I swim every day
I'm currently doing 1.5km free
Every two weeks I've been going up by 100m
Is this an inefficient way to train? What is the optimal way to make swimming gains?
Any good guides on propper form?
How do I into tumbleturns? I'm always really out of breath after doing one.

I didn't swim in an eternity but want to start again since I like it. I remember that I could breaststroke for quite a bit, but freestyle I'm out of breath after 1 lap. How can I increase freestyle-capacity?

You might not be breathing well.
Look up how to properly breath while doing it.

Pretty much the only cardio I get

A few times a week, nothing but 25m pools here so tend to do 3 x 22 length sets to round out to a 1.6k/1mile.

50m pool would be great but the one near here only ever sets up that way for like an hour each week when the weird triangle shaped pro swimmers show up. Fuck that.

Without any more info it's hard to say. But let's guess: It's your breathing technique, most likely.

Try:

Bilateral breathing (breath + left, right, left, breathe + right, left, right, breath + left etc)

Make sure you're not holding breath for any period of time, immediately begin breathing out as you turn back into the water

Ensure you're not raising you head forward to breath. Try acting like you're taking air from behind you, it should act to keep your neck straighter.

take a deep breath before you do it, and make sure you're not letting any air out. A lot of people let air out while doing the tumbleturn which is probably why (assuming you don't have breathing problems)

Try doing a tumbleturn while holding your nose shut.

Thanks lads! Right now I can't really figure out more, since I have to go swimming first. But I'll give the bilateral breathing a shot!

You mean literally hold my nose with my hand?

Pisspoor swimmer here

Can barely do 50m, need to rest between legs.

Any advice for building up stamina? I really like pools, but mainly its just fucking around with mates

What are some basic milestones to aim for? Nothing like 1/2/3/4 shit, just goals that you'd be embarrassed to not meet

>50m in 60s
>1k non stop

Deliberately slow down and see how many lengths you can do at a slower pace.

If you can't slow down you have a technique fault that'll need locating and correcting.

If you can slow and do more lengths, use that as your basis to work back up to speed.

BTW good beginner milestones are 10, 20, 30 lengths of a 25m pool. Once you've worked up to that, a fairly common unit of distance is 1650m (it's a mile). In a 25m pool, that's up and down 33 times (66 lengths). Which you can break into 3 x 11 with sorry breaks to clear your goggle fog or take a sip.

Sorry = small

>25m pool
Is this a thing?

My town only has 50m and one fucking 33m but thats closed over winter (ausfag)

I swim but it's honestly such a trek; my pool is outdoors and saltwater, so when it's summer it's amazing but on cold days it's torture.

I had it way better in the UK where there where lots of 50s and 33s but here in NZ it's all 25m or 50s with a boom always left in the middle so 2x25.

Spend half my time making fucking turns

I used to swim competitively at state level, would train 4 - 6 times a week doing 2 hour sessions. No longer swim that much but I do casual work as teaching learn to swim to kids while doing uni.