Has modern organized Christianity evolved into the equivalent of the modern day Pharisees?

Has modern organized Christianity evolved into the equivalent of the modern day Pharisees?

>They presented an appearance of being 'clean' (self-restrained, not involved in carnal matters), yet they were dirty inside: they seethed with hidden worldly desires, carnality. They were full of greed and self-indulgence. (Matt 23:25-26)

>They taught the law but did not practice some of the most important parts of the law — justice, mercy, faithfulness to God. They obeyed the minutiae of the law such as tithing spices but not the weightier matters of the law. (Matt 23:23-24)

>They taught that an oath sworn by the temple or altar was not binding, but that if sworn by the gold ornamentation of the temple, or by a sacrificial gift on the altar, it was binding. The gold and gifts, however, were not sacred in themselves as the temple and altar were, but derived a measure of lesser sacredness by being connected to the temple or altar. The teachers and Pharisees worshiped at the temple and offered sacrifices at the altar because they knew that the temple and altar were sacred. How then could they deny oath-binding value to what was truly sacred and accord it to objects of trivial and derived sacredness? (Matt 23:16-22)

>They taught about God but did not love God — they did not enter the kingdom of heaven themselves, nor did they let others enter.(Matt 23:14)

I mean it seems like Catholicism to Evangelicalism is rooted in some type of corruption, some mentioned in the above quotes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IzxFpKN_cgo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Joel Olsteen is actually a bad example, he's a good man and doesn't preach the prosperity gospel

>Has modern organized Christianity
There's one organized Christianity.

Whoa, that girl is cute.

Christianity has always just been Judaism refurbished - every Pope who has ever been is spending eternity contemplating his crimes in hell.

When Jesus said "don't murder" he meant "don't murder" - not "don't murder unless Moses says it's ok to murder."

youtube.com/watch?v=IzxFpKN_cgo

When did Jesus say "don't murder"?

piss off back to r*ddit holden
nobody on this website wants to hear your hogwash, not even

I was trying to find away to say “has Christianity in general these days become just like the Pharisees in the Bible?”

he lives in a 10,000 sq ft mansion valued at 10 million dollars
just like jesus

Christianity makes no promise that everyone who practices it is going to adhere to its values at all times. There have been corruption and bullshittery from the time of the apostles (they literally discuss it in their letters). It's a caricature to say that it's all completely corrupt, though. It's easy to believe that it is, but Christianity is responsible for so much good in the world that goes unnoticed because it's more exciting to pay attention to scandalous and immoral behaviour rather than the people visiting the sick, helping the poor, running universities, etc.

Joel Osteen looks remarkably jewy.

The nigger had to be publically shamed into helping his community.

Why is McConaughey trying to drown that black girl?

>Judaism refurbished

Christianity is closer to Greek philosophy than Jewish. Please shut the fuck up and think before speaking

I don't know, who are those "modern day Pharisees"?

I probably painted to broad a stroke. All Christians might not be corrupt. But I live in muttland. It’s hard to stare some evangelicals and really conservative Christians in the face and not see them to be modern day Pharisees.

That’s not to say I don’t see the massive good Christianity has done for the world. It’s just there appears to be an obvious rot to me as lots seem to follow the letter of the law and not the spirit of the law jsut like the Pharisees.

Id define modern day Pharisees as Christians who are overly concerned about scripture and faith rather than action. A I put it above, evangelicals and ilk who seem concerned with the letter of the law over the spirt of the law.

Matthew 5:39 - But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Mathew 5:21-22 - 21 “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder,[a] and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister[b][c] will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’[d] is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

>Christianity makes no promise that everyone who practices it is going to adhere to its values at all times.

Fundies like Jack Chick believe the moment you become a Christian you instantly become a goody two-shoes incapable of sinning.

The only groups I know of that I would consider modern day non-pharisees are the Amish / Old Order Mennonites. Original Christians were pacifists, and that only really changed with Constantine converting to Christianity. He is arguably the greatest evil to ever befall Christianity. You can't run a state on the teachings of Christ, because you can't have police, or an army, or courts of law, or really a treasury. OG Christians would be closer to Christian Anarchists today, which is what I think the Amish and Old Order Mennonites are.

It's not that they're incapable of sin, it's that once you accept Christ into your heart as your Lord and Saviour the Blood of Christ wipes away the punishment of all sins you have and will commit. It's not that they can't sin, it's that sin isn't really a negative when you go to see St Peter at the gates. The doctrine is called Sola Fide, or "Through Faith Alone." That said, there has been a lot of argument over the centuries about the necessity or undertaking of acts of faith. The argument being if you have taken Christ into your heart you should live a life as free of sin as possible, not because it will condemn you to hell, but because the attempt at a saintly life is what God commands. Alternatively, there is the saying, "Faith without Acts is dead." and "You shall know them by their fruit." where it can be implied that those who do not live a Christian life of Acts of faith and repentance will be judged as not truly having accepted Christ into their hearts.

have you even read his books?

>non-ironic papists in this thread RIGHT THE FUCK NOW

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

desu the more I read about sola fide the more it seems like: "Hey I know Christ said to not judge you and be nice, but I'm going to do the opposite and still get into heaven."

I know, that's the rub. It's been controversial for centuries for that exact reason, and is partially why Calvinists suck.