Why are some people obsessed with supplements?

I don't get the hype with all these supplements.
Why do some pick protein powders/gainers over real food?

The supplement industry has been having a massive growth these past years.
My theory is that beginners buy supplements because they think that it is an easy route to what they want to achieve, but all they do is spending insane amounts of money on """crap""".
It was uncommon to do bodybuilding 10-15 years ago, at least from my experience, and I think that supplement companies convince beginners who are new to the sport that supplements > real food.

I bought all kinds of shit when I first started but now my diet is 100% real food that I prepare for a week at a time.
Pros with real food:
>real food
>better shits
>know exactly what i put into my body
>cook for 2-3 hours on sunday and have food for 7 days

Cons with real food:
>somewhat more expensive protein compared to protein powder
>comments on "its not healthy to eat the same food all the time *glugs down processed gainer with 13 unknown ingredients, for 30 days in a row* "
>its easier to chug a protein shake/gainer than to sit down and eat a meal for 5-10 min

Pros with protein powder:
>cheap
>lots of alternatives
>easy to drink

Cons with protein powder:
>the shits
>unknown ingredients
>processed
>what are vitamins and minerals?

What supplements do you take? Do you agree with me? Why/why not?
I only take pre-workout and omega-3 as my supplements.

welp, people generally are looking either for a shortcut, or the mysterious product that will make them grow like people on roids

folks have completely warped expectations of what a natural can do and because they have been lied to they think that their lack of gains is because their protein powder doesnt have the frogtechâ„¢ protein blend

>he supplement industry has been having a massive growth these past years.

Fitness people on instagram that pose with a supplement on each photo.

I use powder and a few Supplements. But I prefere real food. It's mostly to trick myself into taking Workout more serious. When I have to get up at 6 in the morning i like to have my rituals and drink my shake on the way to the gym. Makes me feel ready. Vitamin D and Zinc are not a meme though.

cant cook every sunday, sometimes there is not enough food variety to buy. not all food can be stored.
i see supplements as what they are defined. supplements. not main course

>whynotboth?.jpg
Also, you need to earn the right to use supplements. Gotta put in work.

I only take a D3 and B12 supplement aswell as protein powder on training days. Thats all.

>pre-workout
>better than whey
bait
sage

the difference between milk and whey protein powder is in a sense the same as between milk and cheese
people think supplements are in a different category than food because their mom told them so
>whey
>not a "real food"
when will this meme fucking die?

>I don't get the hype with all these supplements.
>Why do some pick protein powders/gainers over real food?
the supplement industry is good with marketing bodybuilders to show off that their supplement works even though the bodybuilder looks like he does because of steroids

>he thinks heavily processed whey is real food
kek

newsflash: the whey as a byproduct from making cheese is barely the same thing youre buying

Cons with real food:
>somewhat more expensive protein compared to protein powder
Pros with protein powder:
>cheap

>am poorfag
all my money goes to gym membership

The protein supplementation is probably mostly a scam, as the protein requirements are inflated, if I were to believe bayesianbodybuilding's approach.

BCAA-s are probably a scam, from what I've gathered, it mostly works on vegetarians and people deficient on protein. But as they're expensive and give out a good profit margin, there's a good point in selling it to dyels and taking their money.

Creatine is well-studied and proven (examine.com), so there's no reason not to take it, even if the benefits are really small.

Citrulline malate for doing more volume and getting a small recovery bonus. Should work, but is not as researched. My own experience says it helps, but as it's kind of expensive, I'll probably stop taking it once I run out.

Zinc and magnesium. Magnesium is a must, because I get leg cramps without it, especially in the summer. Nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night because of intense pain.

Yohimbe. Shit's fun as a stimulant, but the pre-cardiac arrest feeling and cold sweats are a bit frightening. Probably doesn't spot reduce, or do much else (except stronger erections).

Preworkouts: placebo and underdosed ingredients, also caffeine megadoses. From what I understand, it's better to do your own mixes and buy powders in bulk. Especially stupid are mixes with shit tons of creatine as a filler (can take it separately), for a better profit margin.

Dnp. Yellow semen and cumulative effect (easy to OD), but shit actually works.

To actually benefit from supplementation, you have to have a solid routine in place (nutrition, training, recovery). Otherwise, it's just throwing money away.

PS: the only supplements that actually work as good as advertised are PED-s, so quit buying shitty fart powders and start reading about dat dere cell tech.

For the obvious reason, you want results quicker. Will that happen? Probably not.

Pros
>It's real fuckin food, goddammit

Cons
>Cmon, it's the best fuckin scenario

Supplements have a small volume. If I eat a large volume of food before a workout, I will feel like puking, and generally feel bad.
That is why I take supplements before a workout. A smaller volume of "stuff" in my stomach, with allegedly the same resource count.
I have meals in all other situations, and I am not careful with picking healthy ones. Just got done eating a large cookie that was probably a day's worth of energy in between my meals.

Any anons have a better version of the poster?

It's not like you need to ingest 700kcal worth of protein before a workout

I like supps because it allows me to chug 1000kcal for dessert after a big dinner.

>Creatine is well-studied and proven (examine.com), so there's no reason not to take it
Enjoy your male pattern baldness

Fuck having hair. Also, creatine does nothing that my future cycles of test won't do. Gonna be a bloated roided out musclegod.

>Fuck having hair
Women hate bald guys tho

That's actually true, as sad as it is. Adds years to your age, while shaving points off your looks. Fortunately, no male pattern baldness in my family tree.

>Been losing weight down from 280 lbs leviathan mode
>Been doing resistance training and taking creatine the entire time to make sure I have some muscle when I'm done
>Manage to land a girl well above my looks
>She loves my hair
>Notice my hair beginning to dry out, slight thinning though not noticeable to anyone but me
>No male pattern baldness in my family, think wtf
>Look into it, creatine causes baldness
>Fucking stop taking it immediately
Shit dude I want muscle but my entire reason for doing this shit was I wanted to look good and land someone who also looks good. I can't do that if my fucking hair falls out. It isn't worth it.

what do u think is worse balding at 20 or going grey?

>Why do some pick protein powders/gainers over real food?
They believe that is the only way they are going to make it, mostly because they don't know shit about human physiology, nutrition or exercise.

Balding. You can dye grey hair dude.

>Was 28
>Bald, get it waxed every weekend and shave it everyday
>Could have full head of thick italian hair
>Girl was 18 straight out of high school conservative church girl
>First date fuck
>She is super clingy and says I look like a mean mexican warlord
>This bitch calling me fucking mexican when I got pure italian blood in my veins
>Its been 4 years since I last fucked and end up going balls deep cumming inside her without self control
>Now got 2 kids

I look like a friend of her dad. Because I am.

A protein supplement is a convenient lean source of aminos.
It is cheap and easy and quick.
It doesn't do anything food won't do. Because it is simply food.

the problem with real food is that you are actually not guaranteed to get all the micros and macros because modern fertilization methods make the earth have low mineral content and the animals are fed too much medicine plus are fed the least quality crops

unless you are some high end middle class guy who can afford 100% naturally butchered meat and the freshest fish I would recommend supps

>A protein supplement is a convenient lean source of aminos.
>It is cheap and easy and quick.
>It doesn't do anything food won't do. Because it is simply food.
>It is cheap
That depends on the country you are from.

I live in Brazil, here food is cheap as fuck since it is our main exportation goods and the base of our entire economy, while supplements are expensive as fuck since they are imported and the national brands are utter shit.

Seriously, for the price of whey I could buy enough ground beef to eat every single day for a month, and I would STILL have money left.

You're just too stupid to know how to use powders properly and just knock then. You won't get "the shits" you won't get less gains, you won't be malnutritioned either.

>the problem with real food is that you are actually not guaranteed to get all the micros and macros because modern fertilization methods make the earth have low mineral content and the animals are fed too much medicine plus are fed the least quality crops

Whey comes from an animal so it still applies

Perfect

Real food is obviously best, but if you find yourself 25-50 grams of protein short at the end of a busy day a scoop or 2 is a good way to fix that.

that's like saying taking magnesium supps is real food because magnesium is in fucking everything

grey and balding at 20 here.

the balding is more depressing

> also manlet
yes i am considering suicide

I drink a protein shake daily.

Not because I want a "shortcut", but because I have trouble getting all my protein for cheap and dont want to be stuck with eggs or tuna everyday.

Also, Im cutting so the high protein to calorie ratio is a huge plus too.

My breakfast today was a can of tuna and a shake with 3 scoops. I would have had to eat 3 cans of tuna to get the same amount of protein as 3 scoops. That's a lot of canned tuna, too much canned tuna for me.