I used to lift heavy, but haven't in 4 years (Due to training wrestling and BJJ). I'm trying to start again...

I used to lift heavy, but haven't in 4 years (Due to training wrestling and BJJ). I'm trying to start again. My muscles are gone, but I can still lift relatively heavy. It was a bad choice to lift heavy, as my muscles weren't prepared for it, but my brain is.

Yesterday was leg day. I'm really struggling to get up stairs. It's bad. Someone help me. Put me out of my misery, or tell me what I can do to fix this. I'm desperate.

walk it off mate

Is that really the only thing to do?

Foam roll, and dont skip next leg day..just go low weight.

I literally called out sick from work because I can barely walk and I do a lot of standing and walking at my job lol. (All good bros don't worry, I'm salary and had sick days to use)

Just feels bad man

Walking is good rehab for DOMS, you shouldn't have skipped.

No. You could go do another leg day. Try at half the intensity of the last one.

You body is just shitting bricks because you blasted it. You'll be used to it in no time.

Take care of you. Get a feed in and have nice long sleep. Then train some more.

I think it would have been a safety hazard if I went haha right now I'm trying to eat as much as I can, because clearly I didn't eat enough yesterday. I'm not used to eating a lot.

Sounds like when I got my friend back into the gym.. He was 26 and the last time he worked out was when he was 18. He said he could still 3pl8 bench motherfucker couldn't even do 85lbs bench. Made sure he couldn't bend his arms or walk properly for a week.

I think walking up the stairs is an intense leg day at this point.

Do you still train bjj?

How do you fit lifting around it? Do you alternate days, or lift on the same day and have rest days in between?

My lifts were shitty, really.
1xBW Benchx5
1.5x Squatx5
1.8x Deadliftx5
I was doing Starting Strength.

Well, now instead I'm a purple belt in BJJ so that's awesome, but I'm at a point where I feel I really need to improve my athleticism and strength to reach the next level of grappling.

Right now, since I just started lifting, my schedule is like

Mon-BJJ
Tues-Lift
Wed-BJJ
Thurs-Lift
Fri-BJJ
Sat-BJJ
Sun-Lift

But I've only just started so I can't say whether this is optimal or not. I just don't think I have time to lift on the same days I do BJJ, otherwise I might... My friend is far more athletic than me and he does BJJ and Lift on the same day, I guess he gets better rest days that way, but I don't think he'll perform as well during rolling because of it, so I guess it's a trade off. He's a super good competitor though, so he must be doing it right.

He trains multiple times a day, though, where as I can only BJJ 4 days a week due to work, etc. They say 4 days a week is full time, but it's really casual pleb compared to the guys who train 3 times a day every day trying to go pro.

Also, we keep the weights fairy light. I'm just following his routine, because he must be doing things right judging by his performance in tournaments.

Here's the routine he gave me. He somewhat knows what he's doing because he is an intern instructor at a "crossfit" type gym that isn't shitty like crossfit.

Day 1: (Chest/Arms)
5x6 Pull Up (or Lat Pulldown)
5x5 Bench Press *** (The important lift to focus on) (NMT 20s/25s on each side)
Chest Flies 10x3
Strict Push up (No more than 20 slowly x3)
Reverse Flies 10x3
Bicep Curl 10x3
Skullcrushers OR Dips 10x3

Day 2: (Back)
5x6 Chin Ups
5x5 Deadlift *** (The important lift to focus on) (NMT a 45 and 25 on each side)
Back Extention 10-15x3
8 Heavy Rows x 3
Ab workout (I like leg raises 10-15x3, don't let legs touch ground)

Day 3: (Legs)

Light leg press 10x3
Squat (NMT 165 lbs) *** (The important lift to focus on)
Calf Raises 15-20x3 (On machine or Smith Machine)
Push Press 5x6 (Don't go crazy on these)
Lateral Raise 15x3
Ab workout (leg raises 10-15x3)

Again, we're training for BJJ, so we need a mixture of strength and muscular endurance, not a pure strength type routine.

Thanks man, I've asked that question at least 10 times in various bjj/martial arts threads and nobody replies. Nice to get a response at last.

I'm currently doing bjj, and I'm planning on lifting soon, just sorting myself out.

I do remember somebody once saying that lifting right before rolling makes you weaker during the roll, so you rely more on technique than strength, so when you are rested it feels like you have superpowers, was wondering if it was true.

But I've also heard that if you alternate then your rolling days are effectively rest days anyway and can be counted as cardio too, and possibly throw in a true rest day or 2 on the weekend.

Anybody else have any input here?

>I do remember somebody once saying that lifting right before rolling makes you weaker during the roll, so you rely more on technique than strength, so when you are rested it feels like you have superpowers, was wondering if it was true.

I personally wouldn't like lifting on the same days as rolling. I like to be able to roll at 100%. Learning to use technique over strength is something you should always be focusing on, whether you feel weak or not, it's vital.

I like to be 100% for BJJ because I'm a manlet, and I like to be able to fuck up the guys who are twice my size, and the body builders, and the cops, and all those egotistical faggots who need to get shit on by a small guy to realize that strength and size doesn't compare to technique.

(Not saying you can't be big/strong AND technical, it just doesn't happen for 99% of those egotistical white belts.They're just strong, and need to see the power of technique. If you're big, and strong, and very technical, and a high rank belt, then you probably don't have an ego and don't need to be shit on. But those white belts need to be shit on hard and become woke.)

Let me just say, if you're a white belt, you don't need to be lifting, you can just focus on BJJ. It's only because I've been training for a long time, and I've reached a high level, that I feel that I want to try doing EXTRA to reach the next level.

My brother just started training, and he's the nerdiest weakest guy you've ever seen, but I'm giving him the best instruction that I can, and he's killing it. It's because he's very intelligent, and he can understand techniques very quickly and realizes how to correctly apply them. That's the most most important thing. He has never picked up a weight or ran a mile in his life.

Next time foam roll your legs right after your last leg exercise.
It really works wonders against doms

- Go for a slow walk
- Consume a lot of protein (very important - I noticed a reduced duration of DOMS when I consume loads of protein the day after leg day)
- Don't skip leg day (I did this for 3 weeks once and boy did I regret it when I got back to doing legs)
- Get lots of sleep the night after a leg workout
- Foam roll if you have the time

What if you're already bigger and stronger than most of the others? Wouldn't lifting before class kind of level the playing field?

I'm not specifically looking to lift to improve my bjj, just to get bigger and more aesthetic, and was wondering how to efficiently do both.

You don't want to level the playing field, you want to get BETTER AT BJJ. That means not relying on strength whatsoever. If you can be big and strong and still focus on technique, then good. I'm going to say that it's going to be very hard to improve your technique while being bigger and stronger than everyone. That's why little guys have the best technique, because they simply can't rely on strength and size at all.

In order for you to get better at BJJ in the most efficient way, you need to roll with people who are your size or heavier, don't work with light guys too much, it'll give you a false confidence, and when you go against someone your size you'll get killed.

I don't think it's efficient to do both, per se... My instructor is very fit and aesthetic looking, but he trains for the purpose of improving his BJJ, he's not trying to get bigger and more aesthetic...

Up to you, I guess, you have plenty of time to experiment and see what works best for you, and what you like, and figure out what your goals are.

I could out grapple you easily, pussy.

I feel like this post was supposed to disagree with me for saying that it might be valuable to take away the strength advantage by lifting and tiring myself beforehand so I'm forced to rely on technique.

But everything you have said proves my point, are you agreeing with me?

>That means not relying on strength whatsoever.

>it's going to be very hard to improve your technique while being bigger and stronger than everyone.

>That's why little guys have the best technique, because they simply can't rely on strength and size at all.

I'm confus

Sorry, I understand the confusion, my bad.

I meant that you should be well rested so you have the energy to perfect the techniques. If you're drilling techniques while tired, your movements are going to be sloppy and without the precision and tightness required in BJJ