How do I keep the barbell from falling forward on the way up?

How do I keep the barbell from falling forward on the way up?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Av3LO2GwpAk
youtube.com/watch?v=9B8s0yknGhA
sportchek.ca/categories/men/footwear/training-shoes/weightlifting-shoes/product/adidas-powerlift-2-mens-training-shoes-331831314.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

By not being a pussy! haha never gonna make it

That's not very helpful

You should raise your chest.

Hip drive does not mean that your upper body should not get up as well.

Use hip drive but don't raise your posterior quicker than your chest. Don't let your head rise slower than your butt as you're driving up or you end up doing this squat morning shit.

The weight is too heavy for me to keep my chest up

Then you have to lower the weight, retard. Or enjoy thoracic back pains later.

do frontsquats instead

Try a wider leg stance when you squat

So I should deload then? How do I keep adding weight if it keeps getting to the point that it's too heavy

try elevating you heels with a plant small weights or proper shoes
also pull your elbows inline with your body, almost pointing towards the ground.

How did that plant get into my post?

Are you bracing properly? Hold your breath and squeeze your core tightly? This has made a big difference in keeping my chest upright on the way up when before I was having difficulty. I ended up having pains when I couldn't keep my chest up, so it's worth it to fix this issue. If bracing and de loading doesn't work (make sure you don't lose your form when adding weight back ofc) then consider changing your footwork as others have mentioned...I do squats on the narrower side myself and do not have problems but others have suggested for you to widen your feet so who knows?

Fix your setup. If the bar placement is correct, your upper back is properly tight, and you have the proper grip, you shouldn't be able to move the bar even if you tried to.

Not OP but this is still something o have problems with. The qt grille at my local gym commented on how mine wasn't secure enough and I had no clue how to fix it.
>tfw she's squatting 2.5 pl8 at least with better form as well

Do low bar squats

You need to keep your chest up. Maybe try deloading and working on that. I would suggest doing box squats as well to be sure you are getting enough depth.

How much should I deload?

Until you can keep chest up

This

Hip Drive and flexing your traps

look straight ahead
squat down, not back
dive bomb a bit, but still in a controller manner. this will put you in the most stable bottom position
forget hip drahve, push your shoulders into the bar on your way up

*controlled

Drive out of your heals

heres the full rep

Press from your heels and brace your stomach, keep chest up.

you are so just barely not hitting parallel

You didn't break parallel, but it mostly looks like core weakness and you having the wrong physical cue causing you to shoot back with your hips when rising.

Gotem

Don't worry about the weight, worry about getting your hip crease below the top of knee, you need to press from your heels and at first it will feel heavy, this is because you don't have proper glute activation. Just my 2c.

So what should I do then?

look down at the ground. pretend there's a tennis ball between your chin and your chest. don't lift your head up or look straight because you're more inclined to look up that way. just look down and you'll keep your balance.

Your lower back (or entire back) is weak.

Make it stronger. Rack pulls, pendlay rows, even chinups can help you with that. Do some back extensions or glute/ham raises so you can also feel how to use your posterior chain more effectively.

dammit ive always been told to look straight or up

Watch: youtube.com/watch?v=Av3LO2GwpAk

You prob have shit proportions like me.

Same

Probably just stop squating desu
It's bad for your knees
You don't even need to work legs girls don't like them anyway

youtube.com/watch?v=9B8s0yknGhA

try it and see how it works for you.

Don't Fucking look down that guy is an idiot. If anything keep your head neutral and you can literally look down with your eye balls. Tilting your head down = snapcity population you

Thats for low bar squating though.
OP is doing high bar

and how much do you squat nancy boy? i'm not telling him to put his chin against chest, retard
i know, but it can probably help with the problem he's having

One thing I never understood about non-ATG squatters is that it seems like it takes a lot more effort to stop in mid-air and reverse direction than to keep going down until you're sitting on your calves.

Not really, the hardest part for me is getting my back up

This guys is somewhat right, instead of squeezing your core though you're supposed to brace by breathing into your diaphragm and pushing outwards with your abs, what this does is it stabilizes the trunk of your body and locks your lumbar spine into place. What this process does is makes it so that your chest doesn't collapse under the weight of the bar and that in turn allows your to establish a tighter upper back which also makes it so that the thoracic spine doesn't get fucked

This guy is somewhat right and somewhat wrong. You need to squat lower, because you're not squatting properly you can't take advantage of the reflex at the bottom of a squat that bounces you back up, your cues are off and you have an imbalance. Currently you're initiating with the hips, which is good, then you're breaking with your knees while still trying to keep your hips back which results in some mish mash of shit that doesn't know whether it wants to be highbar or lowbar. Secondly you don't push to push from the heels like you're doing, you want to push from mid foot, the cue for that being heels, big toes, pinky toes. After that you want to work on involving more than just your hamstrings in the movement, your hamstrings are so dominant they cause you to shoot up and turn your squat into a good morning.
Work on that shit first and come back

THIS. that's why lifters wear belts. not as support, but as a QUEUE telling them they need to push their core out against something to stay straight. LOWER weight, and practice this EVERY LIFT until it becomes second nature. this is is literally the most important thing to learn when you're starting. it is used for EVERY LIFT.

So you are saying I should get a belt then

I see a lot of problems man

You're not starting with the hips at all

You mean starting down with the hips or going up?

Spread your legs a little at the bottom and use your hip adductors.

people use a belt to lift more

hips are shooting up faster than shoulders showing quad weakness

How do I fix that?

no shit sherlock. but it isn't a magic accessory. i just explained to you how they are fucking able to lift more because of wearing a belt. try processing that through your amoeba brain

no you fucktard. a belt will do fuck all if you don't know how to brace to begin with. learn how to brace first then when you're lifting on your own consider a belt later as a crutch. but really don't even think about it until after you pass the 2.5 plate mark

So what OP needs to do
Squat lower
Push from mid foot
Deload
Get lifting shoes
Get belt
Get stronger back
Get stronger glutes
Get stronger quads

missing anything?

What do I do if I get buttwink if I squat any lower?

Knees apart, more than you think is necessary. Maybe wider stance, but the main thing is knees apart so your spine won't bend at the bottom. Note "buttwink" isn't really an issue.

So it doesnt matter?

Chest up, place the bar slightly lower (even for high bar, it doesn't have to be on top of the traps, can be an inch lower), work on your quads.

kek

If your spine becomes overextended, it would matter. If it's just returning to neutral, it's fine, you should be starting at a neutral spine (clench abs hard). It'll only not-overextend if it has room, though, so knees OUT.
But the biggest piece of advice: Pick up a damn book, don't take advice from a Vietnamese ache medication forum.

Better shoes and if you have the flexibility try lowbar. Helped me.

It's a flexibility problem for me, any less than 1pl8 and I can't get to parallel, 2pl8 I can get below parallel comfortably but I really feel a stretch in my glutes/groin

sportchek.ca/categories/men/footwear/training-shoes/weightlifting-shoes/product/adidas-powerlift-2-mens-training-shoes-331831314.html
are these any good? Its all I can afford

ya

You can even try barefoot. I found if I was bent over it was my bar placement, not locking up my core, or not firing my Glutes and driving my hips forward.

But the again maybe I'm a moron. Flame on...

Sounds like you need to take a resistance band on a couple of dates.

Lose weight itll make ur squat easier fatass

ya i got these. they're great. completely fixed my collapsed arches from squating barefoot

>sportchek.ca/categories/men/footwear/training-shoes/weightlifting-shoes/product/adidas-powerlift-2-mens-training-shoes-331831314.html

shit $90 CDN is a good price. i paid $120 for these 3 years ago

i can highbar 85 kg for 5 reps. how much should that be in lowbar?

Lower the goddamn safties wtf are you doing

Whenever I start failing like that on any other aspect of the Squat I just take 2 to 3 weeks purely for high reps / lots of volume, and then I start again with my strength routine. Has always helped me improve a lot, and it is pretty worth on the long term.