Boxing

On August 12th I'm fighting in a "boxing match". I put that in quote because it's really in my friend's backyard and we're having people pay to get in so it's nothing serious. However the guy I am fighting has a year on me and is al least 10 pounds heavier. I know I will lose but if anyone has any good workouts I could do to increase my speed, strength, punching technique, etc I'd greatly appreciate it.

My objective isn't going to win since it's impossible but to put up a good fight.

Put the wrong picture cause I'm a fucking dumbass

Throw sand in his eyes when the fight starts

If the guy has a year of boxing experience with legit bouts you will get knocked the fuck out lmfao. However, theres a big chance hes just a shitter even tho he goes to a boxing gym. Join a good boxing gym asap, start running, study boxing strategy etc. Theres alot of nice film study on youtube about fighters. Concentrate on movement and defense! If hes a wannabe boxer you can beat him if you train and study boxing everyday.

Also, dont expect to be in the clear after watching a couple of youtube videos on how to fight lol. You need to actually practise every single day. Load up a 3 min round timer and just let your jab, right cross and left hook go for 10 rounds every day for a week. Then progress into combos. Keep it simple. Good luck.

Uv got the eye of the tiger bru

That's my advantage he has just a much boxing experience than me. Probably less. Thus technique is the only advantage I have.

Ah I misunderstood. So he is not a boxer? Just join a boxing gym and youll wipe the floor with him if you really focus on getting good.

If you dont want to join a gym, then just run run run, learn basic movement, high guard defence, jab and right cross. Keep it very simple and practise every day. Your strategy should be stick and move. All day. Stick and move baby. I swear he will gas out in 2 rounds and you will win.

if he's got any previous fight experience you're fucked.

go find a proper gym, explain your situation and ask to be trained up.

get the coach to teach you proper punch technique, practice it on the heavy bag to get the feel of it, and just spar.

sparring is the most important boxing exercise. just dont be doing it at 100% intensity. aim to be sharp and fast without any power, but in a position where if you were to throw that same punch with power you could.

>stick and move
>gassing out
you must be a lightweight amateur.

There are no boxing gyms in my area or at least ones that offer classes. Currently i go to planet fitness and seeing how shitty they are I doubt I'd be able to get any help there. That's why I'm mostly looking into training at home or finding workouts for boxing that I could do there. But my biggest problem is probably lack of instruction

>planet fitness
you getting knocked out

How does one go about joining one of these gyms with no experience? Been kinda interested in learning. Any experiences somebody can share?

Just immerse yourself in Hajime No Ippo

You will win.

live stream plz

You go there and sign up for training.

yeah you're fucked mate. soz.
get a heavy bag at least for your home. you could probably learn to punch half assed from youtube

what's your weight?

you'll need boxing wraps.
dont use those cheap elastic ones or the convenient strapon ones.
get the proper 2m boxing wraps.
you wont need gloves initially, but you may consider investing later on. sparring as a male you need at least 16oz from a reputable brand to make sure you dont hurt anybody, so maybe buy those.
some people prefer to buy a 12 oz or a 10 oz for bagwork, but imo 16 oz is better since the weight trains your arms more.

find out the prices and the duration. over here in australia its approx 15-20 bucks an hour or 1.5 hours at casual rates. dont commit to membership, monthly or otherwise until you've trained for at least 2 months. some people havent worked out how often they can go and it may work out to not actually be cheap. others quit after a week

also look at how the other fighters at the gym train, and whether they have amateur and/or professional fighters actively competing.
a good gym should have a routine of:
>cardio
>interval bag work
>partner drills - pad or otherwise
>light sparring

avoid gyms that haze newbies by throwing them into the ring on day 1 as well as gyms that spar heavy regularly.
they breed good fighters, but their careers aren't long-lived. but if you're in it to get good, i.e. professional, then go for it.

My weight is 140 my opponents is 150. Would shadow boxing with weights in my hand be a good way to practice? I heard a lot of mixed opinion on those.

kilos or pounds?

you should never shadowbox with weights
you should never shadowbox unless you know what you're doing

if that's in pounds, then do what says. stick and move like a nigger.

lighter fighters have more endurance on average, and can pull off better outboxing at the expense of power, provided their reach is good.

your best bet would be what the other guy says and try to outgas him. you sure wont be able to knock him out at that weight class without training.

just learn the 1-2 and nothing else, it is still the most effective even at top level. the jab is for making him blink/move and the straight left/right comes immediately after. just have good cardio when you fight and just throw punches, don't try and hit him, just hit him, a year is nothing.

>jab is for making him blink/move
>people actually jab as a distraction
you dont do boxing do you?

the 1-2 is used because gauging reach visually is difficult when youre tired. if you can hit somebody with the jab, then you should be able to hit them with the straight. the 1-2 is used because the jab requires less commitment and is safer, not because you can use it to make the other guy blink/move. plus nobody blinks at incoming punches, only newbies do that.

you shouldnt throw light jabs. the jab is an instrument of fear. its used to let the other guy know that the area within your reach is dangerous, and if he gets within it, he can expect to be punished for it. This in turn allows for area denial with less expenditure of energy, because you can simply move into the other guy's space and expect him to back off, which is useful when setting up harder hits from better angles.

OP this is what you should fucking do as you barely got time:

>Run every second day until you fucking puke, then add 500m to it every single time. You're going to need that stamina and endurance in the fight, without it you fucking lose before it even begins.
>Rope skipping 3minutes x5, as a warmup but also to get into footwork to coordinate your hands and legs together
>Oblique and ab workouts/stretches/loosening. If you have no hip mobility to dodge the punches you might aswell just stand there getting hit on your head until you pass out
>Neck workouts i.e. neck bridges (be careful on this one) to strenghted your fucking neck for the upcoming punches and to minimize the chance of getting knocked out.

Speaking about technique and punches, you're probably not going to need more than a 1-2 or even 1-3. Just practise on your jab and cross, hook if your opponent has some proper guard. Furthermore, you can use very light weight on shadowboxing to strenghten your shoulders and build some speed on your punches. Don't go too heavy on this ones. Next is just punching bag exercise with your 1-2 and trying to get proper footwork and your guard up.

But kek, none of this will help unless you got the proper fighter instict. I've seen weak skellys beat up several people at once simply because they were in to murder people.

In 3 months ? Better work on your defense. Get someone that knows how to punch to punch you, work on your slips/parries and counter. Nothing fancy, just know how to evade/absorb a punch and respond quickly. That's an incredible advantage against beginners.
Also shoulders endurance. It's primordial. You do that on a bag or on the wall if you're poor (it's mainly very light and fast straight punches HIIT, you don't put any strenght, you just want to give your shoulders more endurance)

This, when I started boxing I was believing that jabs was supposed to be light to open for crosses and hooks but that's absolute bollocks. You can really mess someone with strong jabs.

A boxing gym is offering open lessons at certain times of the day.

Does this mean I can just come and not have to pay?

Don't have it on your own property, otherwise you'll get sued when one of your poorfag friends breaks his hand or arm or head c

Join a gym, at the bare minimum you need a heavy bag and a jump rope. Run a lot, lifting weights has a very marginal return to value compared to more cardio and more bag time.

Why is it so expensive to train for boxing?

I thought this was suppose to be a poor person's port. Gym membership is pretty pricey, let alone private lessons

solid advice and good explanation

seconded

You can even have the best video of the world and an insane talent but if you lack actual sparring it all would be usless.

Even a weak and stupid friend trowing random punches at you wile you dodge and cover is still way better then doing figures...

Because you don't live near minorities.

If you chill in an area that you have to use The Club on your vehicle, boxing is around 20 a month.

if they are two amateurs they will be both gassed out bc they forget how to breath properly when adrenaline will rush in..

So i'l go for a solid defens and ONE good shoot

I pay 200€ a year for 3 classes of MT, 3 of Savate and 4 of boxing a week.

That's disgusting
delet it

>Savate
How's them shin splitting kicks going son?

Terrific. They're incredible against MT practitioners when cross sparring
>U want to kick ? Too bad here is a chassé
Pretty damn frustating from what they tell me. They then just close in where I'm at my advantage (I don't have much reach for my height).
Also life of a savator is bouncing around (since we can't block kicks we have to avoid them). I find that pretty cool frankly.

>Because you don't live near minorities.
I live in NYC, there are plenty of minorities.

If anyone can recommend a boxing gym in Harlem or really anywhere in Manhattan please do.

I have a natural affinity to savate looking at technique and such but there's only savate teaching gyms two citys away. Is it worth traveling so far for it?

Depends how far. How long would you take to get there ?
I had to bike 30 minutes (and 20 back to home) to get to my gym and I gladly did it even under rain.
Savate is only a set of rules frankly. Nothing stops you fighting "savate style" in kick boxing rules (I know I do), even if without a coach you won't get the subtlety.
Perhaps strike a deal with the coach there to train once a week in the savate gym, learning a lot of techniques and put them in practice at your local gym ? Because driving 3 hours 3 times a week to get to the gym isn't fun

Muay thai here, with a little savate experience.

Savate is great and very funny but in cross sparring you just have to wait when they kick because they use to recall the back leg and then kick.
Once you know you can set a trap.

The chasse bas is simply awsome

It really depends... savate means france.
If your teacher didn't come from there yes, it's only a set of rules.

But you can telle when a fighter had his footwork from savate or kick or muay thay.

In savate they are much more like dancer, with an outstanding management of ring space and a great outfighting

>they use to recall the back leg and then kick
I know, it's because of the kicking distance (legs must be fully extended or else it's a foul). It's not a problem in savate because your opponent will keep its distance (or else be in punching range) but in cross sparring it's a mix of those, so your mind tells you to reposition yourself before kicking, giving a very important clue.
And yeah, chassé bas and médian are awesome. Pointé as well (when you hit with the tip of the boot mid), alas it's much less effective when you're not wearing boots.
Savate is pretty regulated and niche. I'd say the risk of finding "le McDojo" is low.
>his footwork from savate
Damn right. Savators are always hopping around because we use kicks to prevent the other from kicking, so we need to be lightning fast with those (as reaction is always slower than action)

>accepting a fight you have no chance of winning
so you're an idiot?

do a big uppercut like mike tison

join a boxing gym, and do it as often as possible.
and get a personal training in boxxing, invest some money.
make gomad, get as big as possible.

If you both are amateurs with no actual training then do these simple things
>focus on fundamentals
>focus on conditioning
Most importantly
>focus on defense

A lot of amateurs/faggots who don't know shit about combat sports focus on offense when training. Focus on defense more than offense and you'll be good.

Anyone can learn a jab and cross fast, but its hard to master a counter punch.

Also if it makes you feel better, most MMA fighters fight people who are 10 pounds heavier than them on Fight Night.

ifunny doesnt immediately make the content bad faggotini

some people just don't care anymore about ancient grudges

You seem pretty fucking retarded, you deserve to get brain damage in the name of darwin.

IfUnNy DoEsNt ImMeDiAtElY mAkE tHe CoNtEnT bAd FaGgOt

That's a ton of time to gain weight for one. You can also train and learn some beginner technique in 2 months. Should have no problem if he doesn't have the same idea.

OP here

So if I can't join a boxing gym then what I'm mostly getting from this thread is watch and read about defense techniques in boxing. I could do this then have my (other) friend try and punch me and see how well I can do a counter punch etc. Does anyone know if any good articles/videos or whatever the fuck would help. Thanks for everybody that replied so far

Run 5 miles every day, jump rope 10 rounds, buy a heavy bag and 16 oz mits. You run out of wind very fast if you don't know what you are doing, and you can get ye shit kicked out of you easy. Cardio, cardio, cardio.

Get a fucking job if you can't afford, retard.

christ. take it
(you)