Swimming

Why do i not see swim threads here like ever?
>top 3 cardio option
>works your back
>Helps with flexibility
>low impact, doesnt interfere with recovery
>works your core
>works shit like rhomboids
>Highly adaptable with easy progressions/regressions

so what is stopping you from getting aquaman gains by swimming like 2 hours a week?

>only swimming 2 h / week
More like over 10 h / week user

Yay, swim thread.

Open water season is here, but the nearest lake is an hour away. That sucks.

Still, outdoor pools are better than indoor.

I used to swim competitively and win my races when I was in my early teens and then quit to play basketball.

I tried to swim again last week for the first time in forever and could only breast stroke really. The rest of my strokes were pretty shit and got tired easily.

Do I just need to keep at it? Should I consider getting a swimming coach? I was embarrassingly bad at my other strokes.

Any good references on how to learn to swim?

Because it fucks up your hair

I haven't swam since I was a kid. I still remember the side stroke and front crawl, but nothing else really.

Wear a swim cap if you care so much about your pretty hair

The pool at my gym is tiny and overcrowded and the hourly availability sucks. I really love swimming but running and biking is was more convenient and practical.

>26 year old
>grew up in lake district
>went to the lake side all the time during summers
>can't swim

>did swimming from ages 7-11
>did waterpolo from ages 12-16
and now I have wide back and even wider shoulders.

I used to swim a lot when I was younger and want to get back into it. I used to swim with a coach, but now I just wanna do it alone. I went 5 or 6 times already and I wonder if there are some routines you could do? Last time I was doing 4x25m, short rest and again. I would like some better structure of my swimming.

Just how long ago was that? Usually, once you know how to swim well, it'll always come back quite quickly.
If you stopped swimming before puberty, your body proportions might be quite different, making it more difficult to get back into.

Learn how, it's never too late, it's fun, it's great exercise.

We usually structured our training as follows:
- warmup
- technique / drills
- speed set
- endurance set
(optionally only one of the two)
- cool down

>Learn how, it's never too late, it's fun, it's great exercise.
I'm sure it is, it's also a life saving skills. And yet somehow I got no interest in learning it.

I made one the other day. I hope this becomes a regular thing.

My current swim training is 10/12.5k a week. That's four or five sessions of 2500m a time. This is how I divide it..

>1k to warm up. Do half of that with a pull buoy, the other half just standard freestyle
>1k to do half freestyle half breast stroke
>500m to finish, half pull buoy. half freestyle/breast stroke alternation.

It's building good lats, so all good. Quick Q - is using BCAA powder beneficial for swimmers?

How long one session takes? I used to swim distances like that when I was younger but now I only have acces to a shitty pool and you can enter for only 40min at a time...

Depends on your speed m8. You should be able to do 25m in 40-45s even at leisurly speed, so you'd probably manage to squeeze a kilometer during those 40 minutes.

I've been trying swimming, but i can't seem to get the breathing down. I always seem to get about 20m and once my breathing starts to get heavy i end up choking on water trying to breath. Any tips on getting a rythme/ not choking on water?

>low impact, doesnt interfere with recovery
It tires the shit out of me, i do it twice a week for an hour each time and im always paranoid it will somehow stop the anabolic process making the workout i did earlier useless

Anyone know of cheap pools in London? Otherwise it's prohibitively expensive...

What is there to talk about.

>go swim in the water for cardio

That's it. No thread needed.

man honestly unless youre swimming 10k a day( which is what phelps used to swim), its all good.
Remember, since your in the water, the water relieves a lot of the pressure on your spine and because the resistance is fixed(resistance being the water) you can adapt in a week. Obv if youre hitting the gym 3 days a week you shouldnt swim for more than like 2 hours

the cool thing is that swimming is cardio, so you can train very quickly. adaptations for cardio come much faster, and by the same token they go much faster, so after like a month of regular swimming you should start to get back in it

You doing freestyle? Just lift your head up and breathe every 3 strokes. And if you want to do a sprint try to go as long as you can without breathing to keep yourself aerodynamic.

OK you all knowing faggots, if you think you know so much, answer this question
How do you progressively overload water RESISTANCE
I'm not talking about hurr just swim more, I'm talking about making the water more rigid and harder to move, so it will be harder to move water around

Is there anything you can wear or put into water while it still being safe? Looking autistic is not a problem

I don't understand what would be the purpose of this. Could you explain what you try to accomplish?
There are, however, several options available:

1) Swim faster. Duh.
2) Increase drag. E.g. wear something baggy; I think there's even a kind of parachute you can drag along.
3) Paddles. They even come in different sizes.

Forgot:
4) Pull someone. If you have a second person, person A swims while person B holds their feet and is pulled along.

>start swimming in order to get fit
>do only breaststrokes
>don't look up any info or anything
>pretty soon doing 1 km breaststrokes three times a week
>welcome_to_your_doom.wav
>knee fucked up
>to weak core to crawl properly

Currently trying to get stronger legs to balance my knees better and a stronger core to be able to do shit at all in the water. Then it's swimming time again, lads.

Swimming builds such a good base for bodybuilding.

I used to swim. Here's before lifting

Here's one year into lifting.

Coming up on two years in twenty days.

So far I've made 30kg progress but lost 5kg unintentionally over the last 8 weeks because of food poisoning, injury and mild sickness. So I'm currently +25kg from where I started

I would love to swim as a workout but don't want to ruin my skin and hair from the chlorine :/

> t. Balding hairlet

Use ankle and wrist weights?

i have a pretty long hair. Would swimming fuck my hair up?

Is there any kind of oil i can use to protect it?

Just don't be a bitch

Tie it the fuck up, what the fuck.

competitive swimming secret:

you're meant to use the outdoor showers before jumping in the pool. your skin and hair will soak up clean water, then it will take longer for chlorine to fuck it. rinse again after of course. there are also special shower products for this kind of thing.

>people dont know about this
plebs

I did a 500yd swim in 10:47 yesterday. Pretty proud of myself, even if it isnt that great

Not bad for a first time. Granted, I did a 5:12 when I swam competitively in high school. But that was after years of training.

If I'd known even the slightest thing about nutrition or weight lifting then, I'd have been way better. I ate shitty food for lunch, with no breakfast, far too few calories, and would then go swim 8000 yards. Never ate enough protein, barely touched weights, but swam a shit ton. If any competitive swimmers see this, fucking eat enough and hit the weights.

I do, I like to mix a few bottles into the pool

Who else /mischief/?

10x50 on 1:05

do not be proud of this

yeah what the hell? i was a varsity swimmer and polo player for a d1 school in southern california. definitely the top quintile of swimmers. how was I surrounded by adults, including my coaches, who couldn't teach us anything of proper lifting and nutrition? I would have been such a fucking monster if I slept and lifted and ate...

Just wear fins. They add surface area to your hands and feet, increasing the resistance on your limbs. ez

2.5k takes me about 50 mins, give or take. I used to swim for a club years ago but stopped between 16-19 so i'm not at the same level as competitive swimmers are.

But 50 mins for 2.5k, is that ok?

Chlorine is fucking disgusting.
In high school we had swimming practice every monday, with regular classes following immediately after. The pool was on the other side of the city so if you didn't leave and sprint to the bus immediately after finishing up, you were likely to be late to the next class, which meant that you had no time for a proper shower, just a short rinse-off.
As a result, you spent the rest of the day smelling like chlorine. Made me hate swimming in pools. Still love swimming in natural water though.

How's Bucklands Beach lad?

It was nice as fuck man, no matter where you live on the peninsula it's not more than ten min walk.

I suck at lifting, so I recently traded it in for swimming. Can I look like this from just swimming? It's called ottermode because you get it from swimming, right?