Redpill me on Ramanujan. Genius or fraud?

Redpill me on Ramanujan. Genius or fraud?

I'm not good enough at advanced mathematics to be able to evaluate his work directly, but mathematicians who are good enough seem to unanimously consider him to have been brilliant.

genius, his work was lacking in practical applications which didn't interest his anglo masters

All of my professors make him a legend, and none of them speak negatively of him. If he's a fraud, then he's fooled many people who are more intelligent than me. He'd have to be rather intelligent to do that. So he's smart either way.

Legitimately a genius.

Literally discovered all math on his own by age 12, his death set human civilization back 10,000 years

Genius. Independently discovering many of the mathematical theories through unique ways makes him a genius by almost all mathematical standards. As he had very little formal training, born and raised under utter poverty, and was self taught for the most part, he is without a doubt a genius.

This isn't even an exaggeration. He was introduced to formal mathematics at the age of 10 and was creating his own theorems by the age of 13. By age 14 he was actually helping his school organize it's logistics.

>number theory
>fully used in cryptography and computation
>lacking in practical applications
sure, m8

I think he meant lacking practical application for his time. His math was far beyond what anybody could actually use.

Hell his formulae created entire branches of mathematics just to investigate if he was actually right. Turns out he was.

One of the most commonly understood/used Ramanujan formula is the modern pi formula used on every computer. Its modified a bit from Ramanujan's original formula but all the pi crunchers use his formula to get the fastest/largest pi numbers.

He's legit. He seemed to have an understanding of mathematics such that he could formulate novel theorems without fully understanding the proofs. One of those one in a billion intellects.

The fact that he figured out advanced theorems on his own (ones that already were discovered mind you) without a single studying on the subject, does make him a genius.

It's like when we rediscovered concrete. Yeah Rome had it, but we still discovered it on our own later.

Legitimately one of the most intelligent people in modern history.

Imagine where mathematics would be if he lived to his 80s.

Probably much faster/better computers, if Ramanujan's contribution did not diminish other mathematicians. Given that Ramanujan used many approximations for his formulas, these would be exactly what a computer would benefit the most from.

He is cheating.
Hindu gods whisper him answers.

Well I mean that's what he believed

I'm a bit ashamed to admit I had never heard of him before I had seen the movie The Man Who Knew Infinity, but I did research on him after and my god, genius is the only word that can describe him. Possibly one of the greatest minds in mathematics that ever existed.

poo

He was a genius. One White nationalist dies every time his name is pronounced.

Genius. Streetshitters can be very intelligent. They are not niggers.

I liked the movie. But is right.
The Hindu Gods gave him the answers, but since he believes in hinduism, why he hasn't reincarnated?
That other Indian fields medalist doesn't count

I read 'The Man Who Knew Infinity' recently. The book does a pretty good job of displaying how weird (at the time) and brilliant his contributions to mathematics were. And that's for someone who is a brainlet when it comes to advanced maths. Is the movie worth watching?

He learned maths from an old as fuck book that was essentially a study guide. Not a lot of theory in it, so a lot of why he was misunderstood for so long -- or simply not understood at all -- is because he rarely felt the need to extrapolate further or create proofs for his work. Like most genius savant types he neglected most other parts of his life in pursuit of his own learning of maths.

> if he was actually right. Turns out he was.
He wasn't always right. His lack of academic discipline led him to make several notable errors in his papers, but by and large he did contribute a ton in terms of new ways of thinking.

If you read into his documentary, the reasons for not showing proof lies in few different theories. 1) He was poor as fuck and thus paper was too expensive for him. In his last year or two in India, he did his work mostly on stone slab and used the paper mainly for the important conclusions he came up. Can you imagine someone not being able to afford paper? He was limited by that. His wife/widow tells about his use of slab. 2) He was driven intuitively and thus could show his work through empirical analysis, just not a formal mathematical proof. He didn't have formal mathematical training so he wasn't too keen on doing the proof work.