My knees hurt when squatting.
What am I doing wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Mtj0eIemmBo
youtube.com/watch?v=QItKA7oDwrU&t=2s
youtu.be/kBq6iynRUUE
youtu.be/g5vOGrtHT9Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Make sure your knees track over your feet (facing slightly outward).

Make sure your weight is balanced, you're not pushing off your heel or your toes too much.

Squeeze glutes. Also warm up properly.

squatting

>pushing off your heel too much
I think this might be it. How to fix?

>Squeeze glutes
During squat?

kek

omarisuf just posted this, very relevant:
youtube.com/watch?v=Mtj0eIemmBo

For me, I wasn't going low enough. The act of stopping myself before full depth was straining my knees.

Start doing front squats instead, save the knees and lower back.

Consider proper shoes or little weights to put your heels on.
Knee raps might help too.

There are plenty of ways, so I'll give you them in the order of how easy they are to achieve all the way up to how much they can help.
1. Microplates below your heels. You should be lowering your weights, either way, and work on your bar path and form.
2. Squatting/olympic shoes. They are much more stable than microplates, obviously, but even the cheapest are expensive compared to other shoes. They're a great investment, because you don't want an unstable base when doing a PR.
3. Stretch legs. That includes hamstrings, quads, and calves. Calves in particular prevent you from having full depth. You may not be able to physically perform a correct squat while barefoot, though, as everyone has different leverages, but stretching will most definatelly help with depth, and, by extension, knee pain.

Also, to squeeze your glutes, simply spread your knees appart during the concentric portion of the lift.

This thread is very helpfull. Please keep the advice coming but I already want to thank you.

fuck squats do hip thrusts instead

This is bait

Remember that you are sticking your ass out and that it is the primary hinge. This will stop you from sending your knees to far forward.

make sure your knees are in line with your feet and dont move left or right the whole movement

i got knee pain by subconciously using my knees to help brake my descent by pushing them to the sides on the last stretch of the descent

dont move the knees left or right, keep them in line*

Same. Anyone got any ideas?

My knees make a weird crackling noise whenever I try to squat. I try to follow all the advice, but I can't get it to work. I seem to be able to do bodyweight squats, but whenever I try to do it with a bar, it just fucks up my posture and I can't get down at all / it feels awkward.

I really want to do squats, but I can only do it with the machine on pic related.

What if you want to powerlift?

Warm up
Use knee sleeves
Generate proper tension before unrack
Don't divebomb &lose lower body tension
Don't cave in
Stop being a little bitch. Squatting hurts. Do higher rep work after for bloodflow, then stretch& massage as needed

My knees used to hurt while doing squats.

Solution I found was my hamstrings were too tight. Apparently if they are too tight they can pull your kneecaps directly onto a nerve which causes the pain.

So now I stretch them before I squat and no longer have any pain.

How far apart are your feat? Try a narrow stance. Help get those hammies working

Nice thread
Love her raspy argetinian voice

youtube.com/watch?v=QItKA7oDwrU&t=2s

what are some good exercises to gain mass in the eyes?

You're probably going too deep, your legs should never exceed a 90 degree angle
try putting a resistance band along the safeties, so it gives you a cue that you've gone deep enough, and also help you back up.

Lack of full range of motion. Squats don't hurt my left knee, but I discovered it was the leg press machine that was the root cause of my left knee problem. Reason being is because my ankle dorsiflexion allowed me to have more depth than what the leg press machine allowed it to go. I couldn't go all the way with the leg press machine, so it made me push right before I was able to go all the way down. This screwed up my knee.

get a load of this personal trainer. You forgot to mention that the knees shouldn't pass the toes either.

shes a dick sucker lol

Why yes I am, with over 2 years experience in the industry.
Another problem is simply that the knees are not used to moving heavy weights. The best solution is to load a large amount of weight, maybe 315 or more, and do a few sets of knee bends. This is also a great way to test ones 1rm, if you can knee bend 315 for 5 you can easily 1rm 300.

You need to activate your glutes and hamstrings more.
These 2 videos helped me
youtu.be/kBq6iynRUUE
youtu.be/g5vOGrtHT9Y
I didn't use everything in the video but the main thing to take away is to
Make your hips feel like they're pulling you down , use your hamstrings more(this will take the load off the knees) and to warm up so that your quads start firing.

I'm embarrassed at how much that video helped me

>too deep
Hahahahaha
POINT AT THIS MAN AND LAUGH

Switch up your stance, if you have long legs then try Abit wider. If you got short legs then try narrower

So this knees toes thing is legit or a joke?

No, lots of elite olympic lifters' knees go past their toes when they squat

When my knees hurt while squatting it was caused by not going down enough, essentially when you stop short you're forcing your knees to take the brunt of the weight rather than letting it transfer into your glutes/hamstrings when you go past parallel

Are you getting adequate depth?

It has to do with your stance.
It's explained in the SS book but it's difficult to find by yourself unless someone who knows about squatting sees you. For me, my squats hurt like the first three weeks and then it got solved by itself.

Yes I do

The front of my thighs hurt when I'm squatting, what am I doing wrong?

its probably not a straight line over the mid foot but probably weight going forward
u should go low bar it helped me
i used to do highbar and right knee hurt now it doesnt

I had this, stretch your quads.

You *should* be driving through your heels. Your knees should track over but not past your feet. Squeeze your glutes at the top but don't follow the meme that says to thrust your hips forward. Point toes slightly out so you don't overpronate when lifting heavy.

>stretch calves
So much this. So many, including old me, neglected calf stretches. Tight calves can cause so many issues, including overpronation, tight quads, posture and lower back issues.
Try sitting on your heels - if it's uncomfortable, and your quads burn, then you most likely have really tight calves.
Normal calf stretches don't do it for me, so I stetch them out in downward dog.
Pro-tip - getting a good calf stretch is all about mobility in the hip flexors.

I gotta admit I'm so in love with that hirl

Disregard literally anything written by this faggot.
Microplates under your heels will perpetrate and work around a deficit you have in your ankle, hips and hamstring; you have to gain flexibility in those sectors before anything else. You should be able to squat WITHOUT microplates WITHOUT manlet shoes, just barefoot. You should be able to squat ATG barefoot without having your knees pointing in unwarranted directions.
You ARE able to physically perform a correct squat barefoot, DO NOT delay a correction in your flexibility/mobility. Everyone is able to perform a full, perfect, barefoot squat; you've just to become accustomed to it again (you certainly were able to squat properly as a child).
Thank me later.

Hey now, don't lump us all in with this faggot

Over two years
Still this piss poor of a trainer

As a fellow trainer, you hurt to read

Check 'em.

OP, if you've got knee pain, without knowing shit about you, I'd guess it's due to any of three things:

1. Form.

2. Lack of mobility in the hips/ankles.

3. Frequency/volume is too high in your program. (Potential tendinitis, although if it's this, it might be related to point 1: Your form.)

In order, you should:

1. Get a good (ACTUALLY good) local strength coach to check your form.

2. Start working on opening up your hips and ankles, looking at FRC, ROMWOD, MWOD, and Antranik's Mobility Project.

3. If work on movement quality doesn't fix you up, reduce your volume, and take a good hard look at how your recovery between workouts.

Hope this helps!

childs have different proportions you fag

what a motherfucking bullshit
Asians squats all the day
Russians squat comfortably
Japs squat
Your body is designed to squat, it's the most natural rest position; some westerners lost this natural habit because of heels and sitting

The best solution is to read a large amount of words, maybe 315 or more, and do a few sets of word finds. This is also a great way to test ones literacy, if you can read 315 words in 5 mins you can easily read 1 of my posts.

chondromalacia patella

see your doctor