QTDDTOT - Beach Ready Edition

Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread boys lets go

I'll start:
How much time needs to be spent at the gym? What's the best arms-only routine?

Willing to read walls of text 4 da gainz

Other urls found in this thread:

bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-formula.php
bodybuilding.com/fun/lee-labrada-12-week-lean-body-trainer.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What's the best arms-only routine?
>implying there's a "routine" for arms only
Just do arm exercises like what.jpg

So I know there's creatine in "red meat". Does the dark meat in a chicken count?

Posted in another QTDDTOT thread but I guess it's dying.

Okay, I'm back. Some of you may remember me and my shitty form. I finally got those Chucks(actually had them from middle school 13 years ago and found them the other day) and I think they are helping. I'm focusing more on keeping my heels on the ground more. This is a side view. Still working on low bar form. How does it look so far? Also have front view to show how my knees look too.

Im doing phraks greyskull lp variant

Im really struggling doing negative chinups, I dont seem to have the strength to lower myself slow and controlled enough. Do I need to rest longer inbetween sets? Replace it with something else until I can do it right or just keep trying until I can do it?

Here's the front view. Sorry the video looks shitty, couldn't figure out how to get webm under size limit without potato quality.

Everyone kept telling me to push out my knees but I always thought I did good enough, still here's how it looked. Couldn't really tell from the other video the other week. Also I noticed the bar is slightly tilted but I think that was me not getting under the bar evenly.

the shade from the trees makes your quads look huge

Try not to fulxuate on how low you go, but looks good

I think my quads are decent. I'm skinnyfat tho.

Do I go too low? I like that depth because i can feel it in my glutes when coming up. I'm trying to grow my ass.

Just don't sit on your heels, a 250° squat would be ideal

What are some good excercises that buld the inner chest? I look like I have a minor case of pectus excavatum because my outer chest and abs are way more built than the center of my chest.

>sit on your heels
Do you mean at the bottom or coming up? I had a big problem of coming up on the balls of my feet when going up. I would explode up the weight the last quarter of the way up.

I've been doing squats and hip thrusts as part of my routine. My butt feels firm and round and looks rounder from the side but when looking straight ahead it still looks squarish. Am I doing something wrong or is this the limits of my asian genetics?

Anyone else nod as a small sign of mirin someone who actually fucking squats low enough?

Will hitting a tire with a sledgehammer for cardio kill my gains?

At what point should you be done for the day?
I was doing a bunch of chest exercises until I felt like it was impossible for me to do anymore so I stopped
But now that I'm home and have had a bit of a break my chest feels stronger and I want to go back and do a few more chest exercises.

I know over training is a thing but I feel like I haven't tried as hard as I can if I'm home and I feel like I could do more, if that makes sense?

Looks good

what the fuck?

did you complete the day's programming or not?
fucking with the program is suboptimal so why would you do it?

How long should one do SS for? I'm three months in, glued incline bench and a shit ton of dumbell exercises to the end of both A and B day. Switched up bench and squat to 3x5 plus 1x10, OHP to 2x5 and 1x10, and diddly to 1x5 working and 1x1 with 5 lbs added.

Currents are 100/175/315/275, was wanting to do CoolCicada's PPL once either I hit 1/2/3/4 or I get to the end of the year, whichever comes first.

So there are rep ranges for certain things, 1-5 for strength and 10-12 for hypertrophy ect, right? Does this also apply to sets?

How am I supposed to actually tell when I need a lifting belt?

Whenever I ask if I should get one, people just say "Get one when you need it", but it's not like chalk or mixed grip for deadlifts, when you use them if your grip fails, as I have no idea under what criteria needing a lifting belt falls into.

Recently I have started running, trying to take it slow as I knew my legs would not have the particular muscles it takes to run, even though I have the cardio endurance from a year of cycling. I ran 3x a week for about 3 weeks, and last Friday went on my longest run so far, about 5 miles with a fair bit of elevation gain. Felt fine on the run and took it very easy, but right after and ever since, my knees are hurting fairly bad even when I just walk or bend my knees more than 90 degrees. It is kind of worrying as it is not getting better, and frustrating as I was actually starting to enjoy it. Anyone know of anything I can do to help?

Because of this injury, I am thinking about starting to swim. I learned how to swim when I was young, but haven't swam in probably 5 years. I imagine that I will be able to manage to learn the basics of the freestyle on my own, and have found a program for swimming that is similar to couchto5k. Anyways, is there anything in particular I should know about swimming?

Also, I kind of hurt my lower back doing pendlay rows last week. It's still hurting in certain situations, but I was able to manage squatting 1 pl8 for the first time today even with my back the way it is. Squatting didn't particularly make it seem to get worse, but should I avoid it until it gets better? I'm hoping it won't take a terrible amount of time to heal, but I honesly have no idea. It's not debilitating, but it is pretty uncomfortable.

I have asthma and I more or less deal with it, but I have a big problem with shortness of breath when doing squats. I can deadlift 2plates for 10 reps, but squatting 1plate, my breath already gets short on the 4th or 5th rep, it gets really hard to breath, my nostrils sew shut and I get dizzy. I could squat with just 10kg on each side and I'd still get more tired then if I were doing some other exercise with more weight. It's like the squat demands hundreds of times more from my lungs than any other. What can I do to fix this? Normal cardio work, start doing higher rep work on squats for a few months? I feel like this problem is the primary reason why my squat is so bad compared to other lifts.

When you're stalling and or failing what is better so you continue making gains:

>Do less reps of a higher weight
or
>try to get more reps at the weight you're stuck at

example: my bench is stuck at 165lbs (3x5) for over 2 weeks. I said fuck it and attempted 175lb, got 3 reps but didnt try it again because no spotter. would it be better to just try to get 165lb (3x7-8)

some answers to the best of my ability:

looks good.
1. yes, but almost nobody squats low enough. Theres this one sorta cute chick at my gym that actually squats and focus on form. She goes in alone, takes it seriously and doesnt dress like a whore. she's my gym crush.

2. i dont think so, and thats pretty manly. would do.

get on a program that way you'll know and not make excuses

1/2/3/4 or close to it. or when you start stalling hard. or whenever the fuck you want .

> Does this also apply to sets?
No, dont do 10 sets of the same exercise. After you have some strenght, you can isolate and hit a body part with a couple of exercises. For example, if you're focusing on chest you can do
Bench 3x10
Incline Bench 3x10
Flys 3x10

Any firefighters here have good firefighter specific routines?

Front what I've gathered from guys I've talked to legs is obviously a big factor. Figure doing squat dl ohp bp and pullup is always a good base but not sure what to build around it. High intensity cardio is definitely a must, but I'm having a hard time figuring out a way to train for hose pulls/person drags without a sled. I also like to rock climb so integrating that into my lifting is tough.

What the minimum number of rest days between working the same muscle group?

48 hours or 2 days.

Try jump rope. Good for cardio, balance, lung capacity and posture. Also you can go for intensity, duration or anything in between.

As far as something more firefighter specific, try making a sandbag and making it heavy. I have a 100 pound sandbag that I use. It's really tough to get that thing up and doing it for reps means your whole body is in sync and working together. Also very good for intense, quick cardio. You can lift it, do holds, carries and maybe even throws. I use a big military bag that top loads. It's 50 x 30 inches and I use rubber mulch. It is very large and sort of simulates a person. Look up sandbag training and you'll get some good ideas.

In a tough spot
Been lifting around 7mo, got an 80kg bench, 122.5kg squat, 55kg OHP and 140kg DL. 76kg and 6'2".

Problem is, need to train consecutive days in a week. Considered doing SS, but non-consecutive. Same as StrongLifts and some intermediate programs I've been looking at. Doing 5/3/1 is getting old and I think a routine change would be good.

Any advice?

how many calories does a typical weightlifting session burn?

Is there a certain way I have to go about getting fit if I'm /skinny fat/? Is it ok for me to drink protein shakes?

>Haven't lifted in ~4 years. Muscles gone.
>First week of lifting again, put on 3.5 lbs of muscle. (%Body fat decreased)
>Holy shit the DOMS
>Can't eat enough to keep up with the rate of building muscle
>Walk up stairs like an old paraplegic. A good 30 seconds to get into my car.

I don't remember it being this bad... Comfort me, please...

After HS I went to the gym for 2 years, got in good shape overall, excellent mile times/decent gains ect. Training to be a lifeguard though, I couldn't swim 3 lengths of the pool without feeling like I wasn't getting any air in my freestyle. I would STRONGLY recommend a coach or a stroke improvement course to start you off, it's like a teenager in skate shoes running like Naruto being compared to a marathon runner.

Every time I do squats past parallel I feel a burning sensation in my left quad. Not just a lactic acid burn but it feels like a heat burn. Today I didn't go quite as deep and I still felt a pinching feeling in the same spot. Does anybody have a clue what it might be?

Bf%?

And from front. Hopefully this rotates pic

Oh also for the knees it's likely runners knee/patella femoral syndrome. I currently am just getting through it. Working out just all of your thigh/legs muscles helps a bit. Mine though started going away once I got a good pair of training shoes.

Also I found it helps if you run on dirt or trails. Concrete, bad form and bad shoes kill your knees

Is there a Veeky Forums guide to shakes, smoothies, etc

I have such major issues trying to wrap my head around these BMR calculators. It makes me feel like a moron, so I'm really sorry if I am asking the obvious here but I would really appreciate any help at all, you guys. I'd be super grateful if anybody could help me puzzle this stuff out.

Okay, so I'm plugging my height, weight, age and gender into the BMR Calculator and it's spitting out the number of calories I would burn in a single day if all I did was lie down in bed and blink/breathe, correct?

After that, I really don't know how or what to do in order to get a REALISTIC idea of how many calories I *really* burn in a typical day. I have a sedentary office job where I just sit at a desk, and I commute to and from work on public transit. So I'm tempted to go with the calculation for a 'sedentary' lifestyle, but I also try to get out for at least one good long walk each day, run errands, do grocery shopping, etc etc. I go for a walk in both the early morning and later evening and on the weekends I try to be as active as possible. On average I hit between 10,000 - 20,000 steps per day (assuming my pedometer watch is accurate)

So this is where I get lost. Do I go with 'lightly' active? What the heck is the definition of 'lightly active?' what constitutes 'moderately active' or 'very active' because it is just so vague and ambiguous.

Right now I don't do much more besides walking and the tiniest amount of stretching/yoga because I am only a beginner in the world of Veeky Forums and I am easing into exercise after many years of health problems.

This whole BMR/TDEE and activity level/lifestyle/sedentary vs active thing is utterly vexing to me and I'm embarrassed to ask but have been so lost I just know I need advice and help.

Anyway, thank you a lot and sorry if this question has really only been me making a fool of myself. I've only been a lurker up until now and I'm new to browsing Veeky Forums entirely.

30%

If I'm over 300lbs, do I have to start at 110% eating oatmeal, hardboiled egg, salad with tuna fish, granola bar, chicken, broccoli, rice. Or would I still be able to see results if I cut out unhealthy things like fastfood and calorie dense soda?

For example; Instead of eating a mcdonalds value meal, plus a mcdouble, with a sprite, what if instead I ate homemade chicken parmesan with fettucine, one slice of italian bread, and a diet sierra mist?

I understand that it is all about calories in vs. calories out, and I've been eating clean the past couple weeks, but it is to the point that anything that has a little bit of salt or sugar in it makes me salivate, so maybe it might be more sensible to "ween" myself off of my unhealthy eating habits as opposed to stopping cold turkey. What I have noticed in the past is that if I stick to a strict diet, after a month I tend to go back to my old habits, but the food tastes so flavorful that I end up eating more than I did before implementing a more clean diet.

H

5'8" manlett, started at 210 lbs last January before cutting down to 160 lbs, then fucked my shit up and am now hovering around 180. Started eating at a 500 deficit again to get back down to 160.

I've been following the StrongLifts app fairly consistently for about 6 months now, and while I have definitely made strength gains, I have had to deload on all my lifts to the point where I am lifting 3x3 instead of 5x5.

My stats as of today:
>Deadlift 230lbs 1x5
>Squat 210 3x3
>Row 135 3x3
>Bench 110 3x3
>OHP 80 3x3

I am becoming seriously discouraged from weightlifting. Should I just drop it and go full cardiobro until I cut to a respectable weight and get serious about clean bulking, or can I salvage this mess with more protein and sleep? Is it better to push more weight at 3x3 or less weight at 3x5?

I've made a rescue dummy for my training.
Find coveralls from an Op shop, 80kg of the cheapest sand, a swimming noodle so you can grab it under its arms, and a couple of rolls of duct tape. It works alright, double layer if need be.
Depending on which fire services you're going for in the world, there may be a rule in the physical aptitude test that the dummy's feet must stay in contact with the ground.

Do 8 week mass building program, you might be at muscular limit.

I've been lifting for 1 week, 3 sets of 5 reps.

Here's my stats 5'10 @ 193lb recovering fatty.

105/80/47.5/30 and bent over row is 70.

aiming for 4/3/2/1 after three months. I have all day every day to get on this, so going 2hrs a day and rotating muscles and working on technique half the time is not really and issue for me.

This looks like my bassline for starting. My grip prevents me deadlifting more. I want to get those heavy grippers although if there is a better way i'd be happy with that too. They are 100-350lb in 50lb force increments. I don't want to be spending £12 a pair on something too light or something too strong that will never be used again. What grippers should I get that will have me comfortable deadlifting 200kg.

Regarding running. Buy glucosamine sulphate tablets. Ebay now do 1500mg x 365 tablets for £12. Take 3 a day religiously for 2 months then back off to 2 a day, or 1 a day is probably fine, I used to do 2 at 1000mg tablets and that was enough.

My limited understanding is the body doesn't up production of cartilage from the tablets until there is an excess store of the stuff in you... hence why you double dose the first month or two to speed up the time it takes to get your body producing it. You wont fell the benefit until 2-3 months time. But stop taking them 6 months time and you'll soon feel the degeneration.

The lighter you are the more you can get away with.

I'm recovering fatty at 193lb. I been cycling while fat and can put 5 x 60 mile rides in a week and never had an issue with any knee pain cycling. I went for a 4 x 5 mile jogs over 4 days for the first time jogging in 3 years and managed the running fine, i was on grass 2/3 by the pavement and have good shoes. Left knee hurt after the 4th run and I've stopped completely just in case, just a boost before going to the gym.

I've done a half marathon before and i've injured my right knee once, and that really put me off running. The slightest bit of pain and just stop it and walk off your remaining run. It's not fun limping 4.5 miles home on a 9 mile loop 6 weeks before the day of the event, but over doing running will get you nowhere fast. That stuffs for light weight long distance runners, who are serious. Consider cycling for the time being until you knees better and you're up on glucoasamine sulphate tablets.

I'm not a swimmer, so don't ask. I could do 50 lengths breast stroke but my swimming form is terrible.

bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-formula.php

What do you think of 10x3 for squats, deads , bench, and OHP ?

Your arms are a small muscle group.
You can train them often, use higher rep ranges.

No.
Red meat means mammal meat.

If you are learning how to squat, pause at the bottom.
It teaches you to keep tight and saves your panatella tendon.

What is that religion called that is about jesus being physically strong? I forgot the name of it. There is a wikipedia page on it and all.

You're supposed to try and do every rep with perfect form. Around 80+% and your body needs a little bit of extra intra-abdominal pressure to lift heavier weights with perfect form. Your core can increase the pressure as your abs have something to push against.
Think starting to swim in the middle of a pool vs starting with a push off from the side.

There really isn't a telltale sign as obvious as grip failure. Borrow a belt or buy a cheap one and start using it for reps above 80%

After maybe 5 sessions, you'll start to get the feel for when to slap it on, assuming you can lift maybe 2x bw squat, 2.5x bw deadlift as a max if you weigh under 70kg and a little less if over.

Keep it off for warmups

A
curls preacher curls hammer curls any kind of curl you can think of, as many as you can do
chin ups
maybe do chin ups first

B
bench press
dips
tricep pulldowns
fucking some other shit i don't know i don't do a lot of tricep isolation

Good to start with 3x/weekly?

Before i sign up to the gym i workout at home for a month to not be the weakest one at the gyn. Mostly pushups pullup and bicepa crul with 10 kg.
Few days ago i sighed up. Yet i need to lower the whight in the machins after girls and teenage kids. I feel so embarace.
How can i go steonger without fall to the SS meme?

I need something for abs in my routine. I can't figure out ab wheels, feels unnatural. Tried rope crunches, don't feel much, just end up feeling like I'm about to get pulled off my feet. Used to do planks, but they are just so uncomfortable.

Basically I need something to supplement my decline crunches.

Everrytime I deadlift I feel this area around my T12 disc. It's not really painful and I don't feel anything if I'm not deadlifting, but it's an uncomfortable feeling. Should I stop deadlifting alltogether for a while? I believe my form is decent, I keep my back straight and engage my core.

What's the deal with the OHP?

>stall at 40kg
>deload to 35
>barely manage 3 reps
>next time barely manage 3x5

I did this weight easily a couple of weeks ago ffs. All my other lifts are progressing nicely...

How do I avoid heel pain after squatting?

It usually hurts along the Achilles tendon the day after and I am novice so the weight is still embarassingly low.

Is it possible to build muscle on or reduce the appearance of hip dips?

It makes my hips look narrow and my legs look pushed together.

I don;t feel any soreness or pain in chest or abs muscle despite my workout routine including machines for those, am I dining something wrong or is this just how it's supposed to feel?

usually I always get pain in triceps and biceps before any other muscle area with whatever workout I'm doing(all machines), Like let ull down and pae fly or chest press, is it just cause my arms are too weak and will need to get stronger before I feel anything in my chest? Or am I just doing it wrong?

I'm skinny fat btw.

I'm guessing you are very new to lifting? You probably haven't developed enough muscles in your chest to actually feel anything there yet.

Also you are likely doing gym class crunches aka wrong crunches. The entire movement needs to be in your stomach, stop lifting with your back.

that drawing is kind of turning me on

anyway, try yoga poses like cow face and parallel logs that stretch the outer glutes

Yes I'm new to it, and was worried I'll mess my form, is working out till your muscle sore a good max limit? I was thinking?

Thanks!

When I do any cardio (running, jumprope) my junk swings around and slaps my legs and it's really uncomfortable. What's the most supportive underwear, other than a jock strap?

What are some good books about basic nutrition and how the body processes and uses nutrients? I'd appreciate any recommendations for a good overview of the endocrine system as well.

Something more entertaining than a textbook, please.

Can I make gains doing full body twice a week with accessories? As opposed to 3 times a week? Say I do OHP one workout, then Bench the next with DB flies or tricep extensions to add to the workout?

Body fat % estimate?

5'9 150 pounds/ 68 kg

I've been chubby for practically my whole life and am cutting because I'm sick and tired of it. Started at 175lb/79kg
Been doing phul but injured my lower back recently so haven't been squatting or deadlifting but have been doing machine lower body instead

Main lifts:

Deadlift: 245 lb/112.5 kg
Squat: 220 lb/100 kg
Bench: 155 lb/ 70kg
Ohp: 110 lb / 50 kg

Pls no bully, I just wanna make it. I will bulk but I really want to reach a low bf% before I do and do a clean bulk

At what body fat percentage do you start looking fat?

I've hit the gym for the first time yesterday, no program or shit yet just ran on the threadmill and did some block pulling and dumbell shit. Today other than slight pain I feel like I'm having a fever and also wanting to sleep. Is it okay to feel like that for a totally untrained person or I've just caught a cold on my way home?

Should I continue cutting or bulk?

Been lifting for 6 months and this is my progress so far. Went from 76kg to 66kg.

Probably just caught a cold. Don't lift weights if you don't know what you're doing. Get a routine. Read the sticky.

You should lift

About 20%

Height? You defintely look like you should bulk you don't have much muscle mass

>Don't lift weights if you don't know what you're doing. Get a routine. Read the sticky.
I know, I know. I just had a feeling that if I don't go sign up this day I'll just delay this for weeks again. Now proceeding with lurking.

Most supportive: y fronts

I find the best underwear for exercise are boxer briefs. Snug, not too tight, allows for some movement, not uncomfortable. Can get long legged (as pictured, which i prefer) or shorter legged.

173cm. I'm still packing quite a bit of belly fat, and I'm afraid I'll look too fat if I start bulking while I still have some belly fat. Am I just being overly paranoid about this? Being an ex skinny fat I'm afraid I'll look too fat again

i recently had anal with a dude ( no h..homo) on the receiving end with no protection he said he didn't have hiv and i'd like to believe him, but on the off chance he did what's the odds of contracting it in a one off encounter?

no homo

26 yo, 178cm / 5'10" , 82kg / 181 pounds, gonna sign up to a gym tomorrow and my aim is to lose fat and get muscles, but not go huge.

I haven't been to a gym in a decade or so, but maintain a not terrible shape by walking/biking a bunch.

Is a plan like this legit?
bodybuilding.com/fun/lee-labrada-12-week-lean-body-trainer.html

I'm a total noob in all things Veeky Forums. After reading the sticky, 3x5/5x5 was going to be my plan but I'm not sure that's what I aim to achieve.

Why the fuck are you asking this in Veeky Forums?

Also, you probably have aids now.

Veeky Forums is the gayest board

How to get rid of saggy/loose belly and pecs

Cardio, low carb diet, don't eat junk food.

How long take

You are definitely being too paranoid. Go for a clean bulk if you would like and focus on getting enough protein and progressing on your lifts

Depends on how much sagginess we're talking about. Probably a few months if you're not obese.

Am 6' 160...., no obese....,,, just no tight

Run? Many short or few far? Need a gain muscle mass ? JUST runn?

>many short or few far?

I'd say you somewhere in 20-22%.

I used to molest my son every day. But then he started lifting weights and got strong enough to overpower me and molest me back. Now he molests me every day. I want to regain the molestation edge, should I do SS + hip thrusts or Greyskull? Any SJW who has problems with parts of my post, keep it to yourself.

Help

Did a particularly intense leg session 48 hours ago and still feel sore. Would 60 minutes of LISS on a stationary bike impede my recovery at all or am I good to go?

Not sure about you but your mother always is.

go for it

Excellent post

I've got these carnitine + B1/B5/B6/B12 capsules.
Anybody's got experience with them?
Should I take them before I hit the gym?

has anyone else gotten terrible hunger feelings in their stomach, yet no desire to eat after starting on creatine? feelsweirdman

>Left testicle in pain after working out

I'm scared guys, this is the second day of this happening. Maybe I've been sitting on or hitting my balls somehow?