This thread is dedicated to the greatest lift, The Press™

This thread is dedicated to the greatest lift, The Press™

How much can you The Press™?

What is the The Press™ a better lift for strength and aesthetics than the bench press?

How can you strengthen your The Press™? What exercises can I do to strengthen my core that'll carry over to The Press™?

Other urls found in this thread:

strengthsensei.com/improving-overhead-pressing-and-chin-up-strength-a-twelve-week-cycle/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bench press + lateral raises are all you need

ohp is redundant

t. The Press™let

The Press™ is godtier for building core strength. The Press™ hits your anterior serratus harder than any other exercise. Bench press will just give you gyno.

Am I retarded or are these called jerks w/o the clean

For bodybuilding, yeah. But OHP is fun as hell.
Barbell bench sucks ass for building chest.

ohp is my favorite lift

my PR is 140x1

How do you strengthen your core to prevent yourself from rounding your back during the lift? I feel like my shoulders are strong enough to push the bar, but my core is too weak to handle the weight. Are there any good accessories I can do that will strength my core for OHP?

Front/back squats

No other answer is valid

I feel like I am mostly weak in my serratus. Back squats do not hit the serratus, but front squats do. Are there any other exercises I can to to specifically target my serratus?

Sorry mate, you're retarded.

I pressed 195lbs for 1 rep today. Tried to go for 200, but failed. Weighed in at 184.2lbs in the morning.

Proud of you. Lets get those numbers up. Do 2 tomorrow.

Thanks, dad

Im trying to get to 1.5x bodyweight for OHP. I only weigh 162 right now but my press is at 205x2 and I have stalled fucking hard.

Is it possible to press much higher than that compared to bodyweight without roiding? Plz respond

thanks user

I recently deloaded to work back and try to smash it because I was stuck on 140 for a while. currently at 135 again so within the next 2 weeks we'll see if I can put two up for 140

just forget about ohp, do bench/dl/squat

Put up 150 on the press the other day. Felt good to the press some kids max bench

Wrong answer, all my lifts are great. My friend who is 5 inches taller and 60 lbs heavier is catching up in strength and obviously due to height, genetic potential is different and blah blah but I dont think I've reached my natty limit yet.

Press lover here.

Bodyweight 170, best ohp, 165x2

currently doing this program in the hopes of getting a dank 185 press.

strengthsensei.com/improving-overhead-pressing-and-chin-up-strength-a-twelve-week-cycle/

Adding in loads of incline volume and trap work on top of this.

The tempo makes it ridiculously hard.

its called a jerk because you jerked it off your chest to be above your head, this is a press or OHP

That's press good, dude

How long did it take you to get that close to a bodyweight OHP

That's pretty impressive. What are your proportions like?

How long have you been lifting for? 150% bw seems a bit far fetched considering that Klokov, one of the best pressers around, maxes out around 160% bw and he's far from natty.

I only do OHP, pullups, and squats and it makes me happy

110x3x5. I'm not impressed and weigh 168.

my strongest lift, currently 150lbs at 5'10 and can do 135 x 4

tfw cant bench 2 plates, cant squat 3 plates, cant deadlift 4 plates yet and been training for 10months

then again my trap+shoulders are sex compared to other muscles

I fucking love the OHP

>feeling the weight of the barbell in your hands
>the dirty slut wants to go down on you
>she's pushing down, you push back
>you push her high in the air and stand triumphant over God and gravity

I wish I was a poet so I could fully express the beauty and grace of the OHP

The PRESS(trademarquee) is my favorite exercise because I dunno something just feels so viscerally exercisey and great about it

I usually do PRESS of 45 pounds 3x8 but my last set hasn't hit 8 yet

am i doing good?

>45 pounds
not including the bar of course

I can THE PRESS 75kg for reps

OHP is the only lift that I do every time I work out.

The press™ is also my favorite lift.
I just feels so primal and manly.

Current best is 190 @ 187lbs bw

No, I'm using a one piece barbell for The Press so I'm actually repping 45. I'm not fit

How wide should I grab the barbell on ohp?

your forearms should be vertical in the bottom position of THE PRESS, choose a width that makes this true

ALL HAIL

my best is 110 lb, currently at 100 for 3

no bully I am girl and have delicate feminine shoulders

>mfw my ohp is as good as my bench

>Barbell bench sucks ass for building chest.

Straight up wrong. I used to feel the same cause I was insecure about my bench. 100% guaranteed if you get stronger at the bench, you will no doubt get a bigger chest.

Don't worry mate that's where we all start. Keep at it

Only been seriously lifting for a month now so I'm still a DYEL but the OHP is my favorite of the big lifts. At 95 lbs for 3x5 right now. I hope I don't stall out on it because there's something so satisfying about doing it that the others lack.

the press is the best way to test upper body strength, bench press is legit an ego lift that will fuck up a newbies shoulders
that being said
Press - 195x1
Bench - 315x2
as of last friday

gentlemen, The Press and banch are like the St. Peter and St. Paul of upper body lifts

They are greeting each other with a holy kiss and you fools be arguing which one is bad

Neither is bad, they are friends

OHP 5 x 70kg & handstand pushups for DAT upper body strenght

I'm a newbie, I think I'm fucking up somewhere because my OHP is higher than my bench

OHP - 135×1
Bench - 95×1

>tfw did 115 for solid 3x5
>tfw 120x3 is hard as fuck

REEEE etc

you need microweights

Strict Overhead Press is my favorite lift
I got to 135x5 on a cut somehow

I'm at 105lbs 3x5. How does my warm up look? Currently
>bar x 10
>65 x 5
>85 x 2
>105 for reps
Will cutting down on warm ups let me get to 1pl8 faster?

>they should have sent a poet
>to the gym

My OHP is weak as fuck, my 3 rep max is only 100lbs. How do I improve it bros? It's become my favourite of the compound lifts tho, it feels manly as fuck to do.

Are you me nigga?

Literally woke up at 183.6lbs and went for 200lbs except I made it for 1 rep.

I put my hands way closer together than this pic demonstrates, more like shoulder width. Am I retarded or is either way fine?

It should be slightly wider than shoulder width.

Justin Lascek, Rippletits and Omar isuf all recommend Pallof Press

1RM 85kgs OHP

Need to work on my tris for 2plate

I love The Press-ing but I find my abilities fluctuate greatly. Some days I can do a plate for reps, others I can barely do a couple with 35s.
But nothing's more fun than when you're feeling it and crush out some reps. Like the deadlift, there's something primally satisfying about just pushing as hard as you can to get something over your head.

me, but your lift is a bit better

That picture is all wrong, ovbviously an ignorant representation of what muscles are engaged during the ohp.

ITS A CORE EXERCISE!!!!!

>hurrr durrrr why does my lower back hurts when I do overhead press, floppy hurrr durrr I don't feel it on me in shoulders...?!!

BECAUSE ITS ALL ABOUT YOUR CORE
>bodybuilders
>manlets
Pick one for "the ones that will never learn"

LONDON
O
N
D
O
N

Does seated affect development?

My gym's ceiling is too low to do it standing.

My goal is 100kg OHP.
I'll be ecstatic when I get there.

anons been watching brian alsruhe

I just made the switch from machine to barbell ohp. Did 70lbs for 2 sets of 10.

Go to a better gym.

if you'r back hurts while pressing you are probabl y doing it wrong

112.5 lbs 3x5 at 136.6 lbs
Stalling like motherfuker now.

Whats a good routine for press once a week.

I am currently doing 5/3/1 and managed to get to 70 kg 1rm, which was ugly and slow af.

Best is 175 @ 175

Hit that for a double though so probably real max is 180@175

I want that there 185@170

Is a 2xBW The Press™ even possible, even roiding hard? I cant think of anyone who's peformed that.

Post delts

yes it's possible and you should think harder

That's a good feel, not a bad feel.

One causes injuries, the other causes deus to vult.

I push press 1plate for a single rep.Goal is 2 plates for 5x

Probably right friend. Im 5'7 jacked king of manlets.

behind the neck press is supposed to work your side delts way more but it seems dangerous as fuck. wat do?

I did 70kg 3x5 last week strict press

push press

add dips and you're golden my dude

It's really only dangerous if you have poor shoulder mobility

Start light and work your way up very slowly and you should be fine

i do it as close as i can get them without touching the smooth center of the bar. repped 195 for 3 today. most is 205 for 2. going to see if i can do 210 in a few days

What kind of grip do you guys use for The Press™ ? I tend to favor a suicide grip so I can keep my wrists/forearms straight

>Some moments here still call for /fitlit/ and I miss it.
>'Twas a beautiful symbiosis, like in my dream when Nietzsche and Zyzz kissed.

You continue in memory of /fitlit/, go

Is leaning back while OHPing considered strict? Not talking too excessive. Also, is pausing at the bottom, bouncing the bar down to get the stretch reflex considered bad? Not using lower body, quads and knees and glutes are all locked up. I've recently learned that it's best to breathe in at the top of the lift and utilize the stretch without having to pause but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Next week I'm gonna give it a go when look to do 115lbs

Time to ask the real question:

OHP or Military Press?

I prefer the latter because you hit your core/stabilizers too.

suicide for strict press

front rack into regular grip for push press

Lots of strongmen who compete in 212lbs category do it.

198 and 220 weight class is what i meant

I just wish they worked the posterior delts, mine are lagging way behind and it makes my shoulders look weird. I hate rows.

face pulls and rear db flies for the rear delts my man

Sigh....

I concur with this user Take it slow on the progression and keep your form STRICT and you'll be fine. It's quickly become one of my favorite lifts, absolutely blasts my delts and traps

I'm 6ft 7" and I can't do the Press because I'll hit the ceiling before my arms are fully extended.

How to work around this?

pls reply, I want to leave skelly mode

Have you tried seated press? I'm assuming you're in a home gym?

what's the difference? always thought they were identical

No, my gym is in the basement of a building.

I'm doing them seated right now but I feel like I'm missing out on the core gains.

is it still The Press if I do a Push The Press?

Currently at 130 for 5 reps. Once I hit 8 reps I'll move up to 1 pl8. I'm absolutely pumped for it.

Lift up your garage door and do it outside so ur faggot neighbors can see how cool u are

OHP is shoulder width stance

Military Press is feet together

In that case the only option, if you REALLY wanted to do standing press, is to go to a new gym. Otherwise just keep doing seated press and find some other accessory to help with stabilizers