High Bar vs Low Bar

How do you all squat? I've been mostly doing low bar but i'm having trouble hitting proper depth and i'm having issues with wrist mobility and pain in my wrists from how the bar is placed on my back.

Was thinking about switching to high bar. What do you guys believe is the better way to squat? Also how wide of a stance do you all take?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JxVUmAzP1to
youtube.com/watch?v=mC5-g1Ugmgc
coffeesgym.wordpress.com/2013/06/22/the-low-bar-squat-is-not-an-exercise/
youtube.com/watch?v=DjtVvYk1HWw
muscleandbrawn.com/tom-platz-interview/
youtube.com/watch?v=KVMOqfnG65U
youtu.be/cfKZya9q0c8
youtube.com/watch?v=bbNA17KjBzU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

I've always done high bar because it feels like it works my legs more and I kinda want bigger legs.
Low bar is good too but it feels like the stress is more on the butt when I do that.
My stance is about as wide as my shoulders.

I did both. If i was to compete i would stick to low bar but im not so im sticking with high bar now for the purpose of it building more muscle

>Not doing no bar squats

Leg press b/c im a lazy cunt and don't enjoy squatting.

I enjoy deadlifting tho haha!

>wrist mobility and pain in my wrists
You're doing it wrong.

Gave up back squating for front squating.

use whatever, just squat

After obsessing with high bar squat superiority for years and not going anywhere, I finally drank a gallon of Rippletit-milk and switched to lowbar and my squat feels a thousand times better and I'm progressing a lot better.

SS is the answer. If you're below 1/2/3/4 for reps, do SS now.

gave up making gains as well i see

been doing high bar, though i think i go down as low bar.
last workout tried lowbar but it really hurt and I think the arms have to do a lot more work since the weight isn't on the shoulderblades.

turn the bar on its end and squat into it lengthwise

>last workout tried lowbar but it really hurt and I think the arms have to do a lot more work since the weight isn't on the shoulderblades.
you are definitely doing it wrong. your arms should not be involved at all. if you do it right you're merely resting your hands on top of the bar.

hybrid squat, felt the "best" when stepping into the gym

yeah .
anyway i think i'll stick to high bar. even though i don't go down with my knees, i do it more like in the lowbar squat, i feel it right.

also, i tried low because some guy told me that the high bar position could fuck up my neck.
don't know if he's full of shit or if i was doing it wrong.

Did low bar for my first year. The inevitable froward torso lean due to the weight center being behind midfoot (if one were to stand straight up) caused me permanent pain in the lower erector area near the pelvis. Stalled at 120kg for months. Did not change it up because all my influence and mentoring for lifting came from Veeky Forums and its Rip cocksucking tendencies. It obviously had to be my fault, 9-10 hours sleep were clearly not enough and a 800 calorie surplus was clearly not enough. Oh and my form was also obviously terrible despite getting feedback from all the gymbros, recording myself and comparing my form to other powerlifters like Candytoe
Switched to highbar, I was just going to try it for 3 months and go back to low bar.
Erector pain immediately disappeared, squat shot up to 150 within weeks and deadlifts also exploded from 135 to 170 in the same time.
Conclusion: Low bar squat doesn't suck, so many people have successfully gotten stronger. Veeky Forums sucks hairy donkey ass though.

Locate your nearest bridge.

Lowbar hurts my knees.

ok found it. it's the bridge of your mother's nose, right at the end of my semen stream.

>tfw low bar feels awkward
>tfw front squats are still a work in progress because of shit wrist mobility

high bar default race

I think this is just a personal preference, idk op. I always had done high bar and hated squats because it felt awkward. Switched to low bar and no everything feels a shitton more stable so I can squat more. I don't mind the more glute hamstring focus. Don't feel anything in lower back now either.

Do what makes u feel gud mang

I changed to high bar after my first month of litfing, it just feels more natural to me.

I do both, as well as front squats, alternating depending on body parts that might be a bit strained or if I'm sick of what I've been doing and need some variation. I default to low bar with a stance slightly wider than shoulders, and do high bar/front squats with shoulder wide stance.

Did you spend all of 5th grade coming up with that one? Go back to pleddit and stay there.

Hi bar always felt pretty good and thought it looked better from an aesthetic sense. Far greater focus on quads (obvious), but never really saw great results from it in terms of muscle growth. Needed oly shoes to do them properly

switched to low-bar about 7 months ago following a hip flexor injury. I can deal with noticeably more weight on low-bar, and it feels much more natural. I don't need special shoes to do it. And I have seen some major gains in the ass and in quad width.
8/10, will not switch back

Low bar never felt right to me. With high bar I know where to place the bar, it sits right on my shoulders. With low bar I never know wtf I'm doing.

I go lowbar+front squats, and DL to topit off (obviously on days when I don't squat).
I shoul probably incorporate some calf stuff but meh

i just sammich the bar on my traps between mu shoulders, don't know how to squat any other way

High Bar >= Front Squat

The only reason "low bar" exists in the fitness vernacular is because of Rippetoe otherwise you'd automatically be placing the bar across your shoulders.

Ι was too busy fucking your mom for the better part of 5th grade bby, good times back then

Started it with low bar squats because my mobility was shit with high bar. Tried high bar half a year later and never going back. Low bar fucks with my back too much, its not an enjoyable lift at all. I dont lift as much with high bar, but I prefer it so much over LB

Front squatting all the way

>The only reason "low bar" exists in the fitness vernacular is because of Rippetoe

>Implying Rippetoe invented powerlifting
>Implying Rippetoe coached every single powerlifter ever to squat lowbar when they were squatting highbar instead before him
>Being this salty that the normies at your gym mire the 240lb guy with the 6plate parallel lowbar squat more than your 2.5plate highbar squat

This is the big one for me, I want my ass to look better so i think i'll stick with low bar.

>It obviously had to be my fault, 9-10 hours sleep were clearly not enough and a 800 calorie surplus was clearly not enough. Oh and my form was also obviously terrible despite getting feedback from all the gymbros, recording myself and comparing my form to other powerlifters like Candytoe
This is the problem with many here. No advice to give other than the same bullshit. Eat, sleep, form yada yada
There are differences in human anatomy between each and every individual, proportions and limb length. What, your knee hurts from low bar squatting? Sleep more.

youtube.com/watch?v=JxVUmAzP1to

High bar.

Well, powerlifting is a sport. Its goal is to move as much weight as possible, in this case to squat as much. Due to leverages you'll be able to low bar squat more, so that is what you wanna do when you compete in powerlifting events.
However, if you do not compete, then the rules of that sport do not apply to you. The rules of the sport do not apply to you. They just dont.
If your goal is different than squatting as much weight as possible without failing the attempt, then you should reevaluate your approach to lifting.
If you want an aesthetic physique, you want to make the exercises are hard as possible rather than as easy as possible.

i don't get it. don't you have to go high bar->low bar->high bar? is that not what a squat is, unless i'm mistaken?

>you want to make the exercises are hard as possible rather than as easy as possible
Yes. I'm having so much success with my bosu ball-pistol-bb-squats.

High bar or low bar is the positioning of the bar on your back.

High bar means the bar rests on top of your traps, low bar it rests below the traps and above your rear deltoids.

but I'm way above that and I started with bro splits and high bar squats. Damn I was stupid back then, but thankfully my genes carried me anyway.

>leg press.

You probably use gloves too.

High fucking bar.

no glove no love baby

high bar because I compete in oly

AH SO
ME CHINESE, ME PLAY JOKE
ME SQUAT HIGH BAR IN DOJO

Youre fat and you never played sports in your life.

awww. oly want a cracker?

Wow. An actual good reason instead of autism. Am I still on Veeky Forums?

That may be true, but I'm still in better shape than you because I'm Aly Raisman.

just do ohp squatting two birds with one stone

who /dick squats/ here?

>doing it wrong
But Rippetoe is here to help you out
youtube.com/watch?v=mC5-g1Ugmgc

i'm flexible as a tree, so low-bar the only option

Guys I need help, I just started squatting, I position my feet in the proper way but whenever I actually go down in the squat my right foot turns away from me, its because I have a lateral hip rotation in my right leg, anyone else had any experience with this??

I agree honey, but rip has nothing to do with the invention of powerlifting as a concept

The universal answer to such things is correct the fault with specific targeted exercises before you resume or progress the exercise itself. There's lots of info on the web for virtually any fault.

I do high bar but seem to dip forward on my way up, do I just need to lean back more? I did low bar for a while but switched to high bar because it feels better, but I guess my body still wants to revert to low bar

if you can't squat without using your arms you're squatting wrong

The low bar squat is not an exercise

>I will start my argument by stating that after well over 50 years as a competitive lifter, coach, and gym owner, I have never seen a top-ranked bodybuilder, Olympic lifter, or serious track or football athlete doing low bar squats.
>The squat movement, whether it be high bar full back squats, front squats, half or quarter squats, or Hatfield bar squats, to my mind, should be about developing and strengthening the quadriceps, as well as the glutes. The high bar squat, when done properly, should not involve the hamstrings much at all. These muscles should be developed with straight legged deadlifts and Good Mornings (always with the knees slightly unlocked) as well as the various leg curling and glute ham gastroc movements. The hamstrings are also strongly involved in Olympic lifting movements such as snatches, cleans, and pulls.
> The low bar squat is not an exercise for leg development; it’s a way of doing a strength feat that allows a man or woman to lift the most weight while staying within the rules for the lift, but it’s not a movement that those who wish to develop leg strength for sports or to improve the shape and appearance of their legs has any business doing.
>If one wishes to develop real leg strength, every effort should be made to keep the torso upright when squatting. When the torso is inclined forward, much of the effort is transferred to the butt, lower back, and hamstrings. This is not what we want. I would also like to add that all squatting and pulling movements should be performed with the back strongly and rigidly arched. In my opinion, the very best test and developer of real leg strength is the full front squat with the back strongly arched. The full high bar squat is not far behind. >The low bar back squat is not even on the list.

coffeesgym.wordpress.com/2013/06/22/the-low-bar-squat-is-not-an-exercise/
John Coffee, +50 years of weightlifting experience, at powerlifting meetings since 1963

Friendly reminder that bar position (highbar/lowbar), stance width, foot position, and hand position don't matter because no matter what works best for you the difference in muscular activation is insignificant. Just do whatever is most comfy for you if you don't plan on competing in a strength sport.

Am I the only one coordinated enough to do low bar/hi bar/front all in the same session? This shit ain't hard boys.
Btw OP delete that pic as you can learn nothing good from it

>the difference in muscular activation is insignificant
wrong.
please fuck off back to /plg/ and stop posting shit advice in other threads

>Am I the only one
no

>what are goals

Maybe someone wants thicker quads instead of wider ones and a bigger ass and doesn't care about the weight on the bar? Not everyone is a powerlifter or strength athlete.

>>I will start my argument
Opinion*
>by stating that after well over 50 years as a competitive lifter, coach, and gym owner, I have never seen a top-ranked bodybuilder, Olympic lifter, or serious track or football athlete doing low bar squats.
Bodybuilders typically don't squat period, if they squat it will be either a half squat or a X grip front squat. The rest are right.
>>The squat movement, whether it be high bar full back squats, front squats, half or quarter squats
The only application I can think of where quarter squats are superior to low bar is developing explosiveness for jumps, jerks etc
>or Hatfield bar squats, to my mind, should be about developing and strengthening the quadriceps, as well as the glutes.
Why
>The high bar squat, when done properly, should not involve the hamstrings much at all.
Why
>These muscles should be developed with straight legged deadlifts and Good Mornings (always with the knees slightly unlocked) as well as the various leg curling and glute ham gastroc movements.
Why
>> The low bar squat is not an exercise for leg development; it’s a way of doing a strength feat that allows ... to lift the most weight while staying within the rules for the lift
The low bar squat involves hip and knee extension, not unlike high bar. Maybe it carries over more poorly to the aforementioned sports, but to claim that...
>>it’s not a movement that those who wish to develop leg strength for sports or to improve the shape and appearance of their legs
...makes me question if this dude really is a coach with 50+ years experience.
>>If one wishes to develop real leg strength...
"Real"
>>When the torso is inclined forward, much of the effort is transferred to the butt, lower back, and hamstrings. This is not what we want.
Why
>>In my opinion, the very best test and developer of real leg strength is the full front squat with the back strongly arched.
"Real"

What matters is mostly how much volume you move above a minimum intensity level which you'd know if you'd ever read something that wasn't broscience. You'll stagnate if you never move heavy-ass weights.

>Bodybuilders typically don't squat period, if they squat it will be either a half squat or a X grip front squat. The rest are right.

Stopped reading.
Tom Platz squatting 500lbs for 23 reps. And he always squatted high bar
youtube.com/watch?v=DjtVvYk1HWw

>In powerlifting squatting the bar is real low on your back, and you use you butt and your lower back almost exclusively. Your legs are just a leverage piece of equipment basically (laughs).
>The stress isn’t on your legs – well, it is to some degree., but you’re using your butt and your lower back to push yourself up. And the angle at which you squat is sort of a forward lean rather than an up-and-down angle. The upper body is leaning forward, your knees stay in front of your toes.
>In Olympic squatting your knees are in front of your toes, the bar is very high on your back, and you go down to the point where your butt is touching the ground or your heels.
>Olympic-squatting technique is more of a straight up-and-down movement in which the stress is directly on the quadriceps. If you think about it, in bodybuilding you try to make the exercise as hard as you can make it. It’s: How hard can you make the exercise and how productive can you make the muscle response in reference to that?
>In powerlifting the objective is: How easy can you make the exercise so that you can lift the most weight? Powerlifting is not an easy sport, not by any means, but the point of it is: How do you get the most weight up and establish the best possible leverage, whereas in bodybuilding the objective is to make the exercise hard. I liked Olympic lifting for that strict protocol involved. And every Olympic lifter knew that I had great leg development.
muscleandbrawn.com/tom-platz-interview/

Low bar squatters utterly btfo.

>Cherrypicking the one dude with the huegest quads ever
Lame. Also,
>in bodybuilding you try to make the exercise as hard as you can make it.
That's plain retarded, if it were so bodybuilders would all be doing overhead squats. Or take it to the extreme and do bosu ball squats.
The actual goal in bodybuilding is to make the exercise as safe as possible.

Tried them all. Currently do mostly front full squat because it helps me check my ego at the door and just focus on lifting.

They all have their own pros and cons. Plus this looks the coolest and is fun.

I used to do both, but my back started hurting so I've switched to only highbar

High bar = athlete
Low bar = fucking loser

>it helps me check my ego at the door
>this looks the coolest

Something is off there, buddy.

Stop being obtuse dude
>bodybuilders dont squat
>arguably best legs of all time squats exclusively high bar
>stop cherrypicking
youtube.com/watch?v=KVMOqfnG65U

Cliffs: squats aren't an exercise because it incorporates the hamstrings.

>he does high bar to excuse the fact he can only squat 185lbs
^every commercial gym high bar squatter ever

Nah, with half rep back squat I'd want to be making progress so I'd keep loading weight but then not hit depth because the weight was too high.

Can't really cheat on a full squat.

>admitting he lifts low bar only to claim higher numbers
pathetic. Definition of an ego lifter

Is there even a big difference? I always did highbar since it felt more natural to me, I never even knew there was much of a difference.

I can ATG pause squat 365 with no belt or sleeves

>admitting
>claim
>higher numbers

You have to go back

Low bar is shit, and you move like a slug

lowbar adds maybe 10% in reality unless you are doing goodmornings with it and calling it a squat

I think there is a ball park ratio. Low bar should let you do around 10% more.

Back squat is normally 15% higher than front.

Full squat versus half is probably another 10-25%

>try doing low bar
>realize I can't bend my shoulders all the way back to get a comfortable grip on low bar
>feel my delts snapping off

Never again. I'm squatting high bar forever.

High bar with bar a little lower on traps is GOAT

youtu.be/cfKZya9q0c8

What did he mean by this?

>back squatting
It's just called squats my boyo

>Full squat versus half is probably another 10-25%
I disagree here. There are guys at my gym who struggle while half-squatting their 2pl8 warmup and then go on to struggle with their 3pl8 half squats.

For some, the half squat adds an infinite % because they lack the strength and muscle memory to actually achieve depth. For others... well, I would put good money on a bet that someone who can half squat 365lb could not fo a full squat at even 2pl8. Half squatting might add up to 30-40% to your total weight.

None of these percentages really matter in the end because the half squatters have probably never done a single real squat in their entire time "lifting"

>im sticking with high bar now for the purpose of it building more muscle
But that's incorrect.

How is that incorrect. Youll build bigger legs doing high bar than low bar

high bar and front
leave low bar to rippertoes

>It's impossible to add weight to the bar without doing low bar

Oh, okay. I wasn't aware of this. Thanks friend.

Yeah, in retrospect 10% is too low. 25% might be closer for people who train both.

I remember when I first tried atg I was at two plate parallel and had to go back to 135.

you are retarded and were doing somethign wrong but whatever have fun doing high bars. I initially did high bar it felt like shit switched to low bar and everything fell into place.

HIGH BAR KEKS ETERNALLY BTFO BY MEMELAN THRALL. But memlan was redpilled by austin "Verified Starting Strength Coach" the bronk Brachi

youtube.com/watch?v=bbNA17KjBzU

Always been a high bar guy.

Was trying to learn how to low bar for a while and it just feels so unnatural and awkward to me. Abandoned the venture in the end because I'm not that bothered about ego lifting as much as weight as possible which is of course the whole purpose of low bar.

Not even commenting on High vs Low, but Allan Thrall is a fucking hack.

>but Allan Thrall is a fucking hack.
He looks like shit as well. Lifting +10 years, looks like, mediocre lift especially for his weight. Thats his natty limit. disgusting beard and reddit humor too