Farmer's Walk exercise

What do you guys think of this exercise? Is it effective? I was thinking about going out tonight and walking around my neighborhood while doing this.

I love farmer walks, that shit will shred your shoulders and help you with your grip. If you can work some dumbbell shrugs into it, it will be great for your traps.

Yup

I do them 3x a week along with battle ropes and sandbag carry for conditioning.

Farmer walks are already great for your traps. Anything like a farmer walk is great for your traps. When you're standing and holding a 100lbs dumbbell, that dumbbell is trying to rip your arm out of its socket. Your traps are what hold it in place. Ever notice how when you deadlift, your traps look like they're popping out of your neck? It's not because you're shrugging, it's because your traps are keeping hundreds of pounds of iron from ripping your arms off. Work some shrugs into a farmer walk if you really feel like it, but all you really need to do to work them harder is just lift heavier. Traps love static holds and retraction, so if you're not in the mood for heavy farmer walks, do some incline shrugs.

Awesome fucking workout for shoulders and forearms get juicy af.

>Just got done doing trapbar version. >When I loaded 3 pl8s on there about half way to the drop point had to hold in a massive shit.
>Made it to the bathroom, but it was a close call.

Love'em, they are so simple yet wonderful for everything.

What weight/distance would you recommend for doing them? I have some open space in my gym and can walk about 25 meters (probably a bit more) with 85 lbs in each hand and 10 meters (they'll fall out of my hands at that point) with 100 in each hand.

Do farmers walks wwork the transverse abdominas?

can i load up 2 pl8s and do a static hold for a minute will that grow my traps

You need to go heavy enough for them to be effective. Unless your gym has dumbbells that go up to like 150-200 lbs, you need farmer's walk handles. Buy some, or build some. There are loads of DIY plans out there for it. Just need some 2" pipe for the plates to go onto, some 1.25 (or whatever size you like) for grip, and some fittings to connect it together.

Doing farmers walks with less than 100 lbs per arm with dumbbells is NOT like the real exercise. It doesn't stress your core, calves, traps, and rest of your body the way farmer's walk with actual farmer's walk handles with more weight does.

Using dumbbells for farmer's walks is taking a great exercise, then stripping away 90% of the elements that make it awesome. You simply can't load your body with dumbbells the way you can with farmer's walk implements. It's like trying to compare deadlifting 100 lb dumbbells with deadlifting a 500 lb barbell. It does not cause the same response in your body.

Go heavier if you can. Which you probably do if you can hold 100kg for one minute. Do like 3 or 4 pl8s for less time and more sets and after you're done, do the one minute thing with 100kg. This tip literally is a life changer for traps

Its great but it gave tons of callouses, so now I use straps.

What if my grip sucks? I can old do 60 lb dumbbells and only for a short distance before my grip gives out.

If you have the grip strength of a child, then sure. But you will quickly outgrow that.

Also, farmer's walks aren't just a "grip exercise". Just like deadlifts aren't only a "grip exercise". They're both full body movements. You can hold more weight with a farmer's walk handle than you could with a dumbbell. This extra weight stress the fuck out of your upper back and core.

Not using farmer's walk handles to "work on my grip" is like only ever deadlifting with an axle bar or fat grips, to "work on my grip." Just put more fucking weight on the bar and actually stress your prime movers, and work your grip that way.

My farmer walk bars have smaller ends than normal barbells. How do I secure the weight on them?

Buy spring clamps at home depot or online. Might have to double up if you have excessive forward tipping.

helpful for laundry day

you are going to start having pains in your shoulders and tightness in your neck if you do these too heavy for too long. Doing them without straps will limit you to what your grip is capable of, you should be fine as long as you don't tense up your neck really tight.

Is it ok then to grab a couple of dumbels and hit the treadmil if my gym is a bit crowded?

No. If you can walk/run on a treadmill with them, then you're not going nearly heavy enough, and you're wasting your time and looking like a retard.

Is that body achievable natty?

If you don't have enough empty space for farmer's walks, set a smith machine to the highest setting and hang on it. I like it better than a normal pullup bar because it's fatter and harder to hold on to. Once you can do that for 60-90 seconds (count in your head or have your friend time you), strap weight onto yourself and work your way back up.

Tippy top quality workout for core, grip, shoulders and traps

I want to try these but both my shoulders are separated. Will they just completely rip my shoulders off? Pls help

It is better to pick up heavy weight instead of less for a long time

I do that for work, i'm tiling stairs so i carry a 45lbs bucket of adhesive up 10 flights of stairs. Its fucking murderous.

As for your gay ass post, OP, rather than randomly walking around outside with a couple of dumbbells, use grocery bags so you dont look like a giant autist.

how heavy should the weights be for farmer's walk, how long should i be able to hold on to them before my grip gives in?

I was under the impression that isometric exercise does not result in hypertrophy.

all you need is gyno and a cycle to get that body
so no

What this guy is saying, it is hands down one of the most effective grip and back/core exercises. When I first started training strongman and started using farmers walk implements my upper back exploded in size (and yes I am natty). It was ridiculous.

Explain how having handles is better than using dumbells besides saying "it's better". How does having the weight place a few inches lower by using handles improves the exercise. No troll just curious how this works.

that's definitely not true.
in general, you get better size gains when doing the type of exercise the muscle is meant to do.
e.g. forearms, traps, and other stabilizing muscles are well trained by isometric exercises, while lats and quads are meant to move joints through a large range of motion.

I am 64kg 175cm. I really want to start farmers walk how much kg should i use i can hold two 12.5kg dumbells for about 45 seconds till I give up while standing.

>eat more and get at least to 75kg
>do an LP beginner program that incorporates deadlifts
>don't even bother with farmer walks until the program is over

They're great. Pretty pointless if you do them as light as most people do, though.

Heaviest weight you can handle for around 30 to 60 seconds

If I'm doing greyskull when should I implement them in my program if at all? I was thinking after deadlifts