Weed smokers of Veeky Forums, how does it affect your workouts? I heard Arnold used to smoke every now and then...

Weed smokers of Veeky Forums, how does it affect your workouts? I heard Arnold used to smoke every now and then, and plenty of elite athletes like Nick Diaz smokes regularly. It's claimed that it's anti-inflammatory and helps with recovery, what do you think?

show me the evidence

unsure if its placebo or not but i can do cardio indefinitely when im high

also lift high sometimes but it doesnt make it better or worse, just more enjoyable

>Smoking the devil's lettuce
>making it anywhere other than prison or a psych ward

Pick one and only one

The only plus to using weed is increased appetite if you're bulking. Other than that it's detrimental. I'm not saying don't do it, I do it every once in a while. Just don't pretend regular use is somehow benefiting you in the gym.

I think smoke in your lungs affects heart health but you can just do cardio to offset it

In my experience, it only leads to decreased performance, lost time and injury risk; be it at the gym or any other place (school, work).

Weed is only ok as recreation. It's ok when the point of smoking is just about killing some time with friends, watching an awful film I want to laugh at or playing a fun game.

I met a lot of stoners at university and more often than not their lives were a complete mess.

There's solid evidence it helps with various illnessess like spasticity in MS disease and nausea caused by chemotherapy, but as far as I know there is no evidence it helps with recovery from exercise. I'm more interested to hear personal experiences of the pro's and con's of it with people who exercise 4-6 times a week or more. t.op

This is hardly an issue if you choose to vape it.

Ever heard of popcorn lung

The Diaz brothers are known for their extreme endurance and stamina, they do triathlon training for their MMA fights. I wonder if they just light it up and go cycling for 80km just for keks.

>popcorn lung
>from vaping marijuana

really nigga

I never smoke before a workout, so it doesn't really affect my performance at all. I have in the past and I wouldn't say it made it any better or worse. Cardio can be fun when high though, I've smoked before HIIT swimming and turned into aquaman, shit was so cash. I've always had swimmers lungs, never really felt smoking dope affected my lung capacity/ability.

Aside from that, training and smoking I keep as separate activities. Smoking a fat bowl after a workout for "recovery" is a nice feeling tho, whether it's good or not.

I don't smoke weed. I vape it. I know just saying that makes you a fedora wearing cuck but it's much better than smoking it. I think as long as you consume it in a more healthy fashion (vape or eating) then it has 0 health risks. As for helping a workout I'd say anything positive is a placebo effect. I've had good and bad workouts on weed.

This thread again.

There's nothing "wrong" with smoking weed, but just know it's going to come at the detriment of your health. I know all the stoners are going to rush in here talking about the magic plant that cures cancer and makes every better, but smoking marijuana has actually been observed as being likely to cause cancer (not surprisingly), show decreased academic performance, result in mood swings, and activate otherwise dormant psychiatric conditions.

I used to reward myself after a really long run if I could meet a pre-determined time by giving myself a joint. Every single time I met my goal, but I actually wound up just getting my best run times years later when I quit smoking.

It's not the end of the world, but it's definitely not good for you. Just don't do it too often.

>you consume it in a more healthy fashion (vape or eating) then it has 0 health risks.

That's definitely not true.

Whenever me and my buddies go hiking weed is a must. You can walk indefinitely.

Im a black belt in kyukushin karate and a blue in jui jitsu. I rotate between powerlifting and calisthenics i worked out 4-5x a week in my prime and smoked every day it only inhibits your productivity if you let it. That said always smoke after exercise helps forget the pain especially after leg day

True shit. When I could only run 2 miles top I smoked like 2.5grams and my friend told me we ran like 6 miles at one point.

Tbh I feel incredibly depressed now. I've been smoking for 6 years and can't recall my past. I've lost part of who I am... I'm always sad. If I don't smoke I get mad or never feel happy. I'm incapable of functioning without being high. I want to change it. Someone help if you've been where I have been. Please. I don't really want to kill myself.

I'm taking a few dabs as we speak, and then hit the treadmill for a few miles. Mixes great with the runner's high. Then I'll do some calisthenics for awhile.

Self control rules the planet, everything in moderation if you are a strong enough man to control your own impulses and such

it's possible to abuse it and you qualify

just wean yourself off until you're not smoking anymore. take a 90 t-break and reevaluate

Smoke before smoke after smoke all day. It's all in your head. Smoking 18 years few breaks. 6'0 220

I have RA and SLE, and it helps immensely with swelling/pain after work outs. I'm not sure if you have a healthy immune system that it would help out nearly as much but a huge con is my lung strength, nothing like hacking up tar/etc

For me it's worth it but my immune system eats the soft tissues of my body without it regardless of exercise.

I've been smoking for 10 years without a single break for longer than it takes me to sleep, I remember everything and live a beautiful fullfilled life.

Maybe your depression is the problem, and no weed doesn't cure that. I would go in for a psych evaluation if I were in your shoes. Weed doesn't cause problems, but it sure can exascerbate your refusal to deal with underlying mental issues.

Can't it cause a chem imbalance? Same guy still.

Everything causes cancer, Ive yet to see any evidence that it causes performance to suffer and if the issues youre talking about can be triggered by a bad break up that doesn't make it your girlfriends youre mentally defective neither is it weeds.

>smoking marijuana has actually been observed as being likely to cause cancer (not surprisingly)
That's interesting considering weed has been shown to kill cancer cells in laboratory setting

>show decreased academic performance, result in mood swings, and activate otherwise dormant psychiatric conditions.
Correlation =/ causation. Obviously someone with a diagnosed mental illness shouldn't take any psychoactive substances unless it's prescribed to them by a doctor, and you shouldn't smoke a blunt before taking a test. But there's no basis on weed alone being unhealthy for your cognition or memory.

I smoked daily for 2.5 years and I was sure that it had neutral impact on my life. Recently I was forced to stop smoking and after a few weeks I realized how dumb I was being how much more product I am now that I am sober.

It can exascerbate imbalances but by that logic so does alcohol, gambling, having sex with someone you love, or having a bad day at work etc all of which can trigger mental illness.

>smoking 2.5g in a single session

>he can't smoke a 20 bag in one sesh

I'm proweed, but as someone whose smoked their whole life and been diagnosed with unrelated cancer; soaking living cells in a petri dish with thc for months is not a viable treatment.

A 25 bag in my area is 1g

just stop smoking. I felt the same way after 4 years, and once you're off for a month, you realize you've been wasting your life.

This guy is right, your problem is that you are depressed, not weed. That said, you should probably stay off of everything but a healthy diet and exercise regimen until you get your life sorted out. Good luck bro.

You're right. A lot of my friendships and interactions occur because we smoke weed together. I know I'm going to lose touch with some friends but maybe I should be alone for a while... idk

Obviously in vitro experiments do not prove that it cures cancer or anything alike, but to go out saying in causes cancer is just as untrue. Smoking anything is an unhealthy way to consume it, but there's other ways like vaping and eating.

Popcorn lung is from the flavour additives from e-juice or whatever that shit's called

Guys I have to ask you all. When I stop smoking for a while how do I actually make friends? I've heard that social gains lead to wealth. The people you are around affect your thoughts and who you know aka connections. I don't really have any hobbies or notable accomplishments.... What do I do? Have a cute gf but that's it. All I do is work and study but the guys I work with are old nigs. However my boss and his partner who I'm related to really like me.

I didn't say it caused it anymore than everything else does. You'll breath in a similar amount of carcinogens in a newly cleaned bathroom but luckily humans are extremely adaptive. However nothing was more amusing then being a massive stoner and having people coming out of the woodwork to plead with me to quit chemo and smoke instead for my lymphoma.

These are the jackasses that give weed a bad name, with woo crystals in tow.

I hope your treatment went well senpai. Did you get nausea from chemo and did you try weed for that? Asking out of curiosity because there are alot of studies that say it's effective for chemo-induced nausea.

Nobody ever realizes that until they're off it. I feel like people don't realize that weed is still a drug and they only ever see good in it which is just as blind as someone who's addicted to anything else. Smoking everyday works for some people and they can still make something of themselves and shit, but for others it straight up destroys their lives and takes away most if not all ambition they had. Have a friend who's doing this to himself now and it just makes me sad.

Been there bro. Either stop smoking weed completely, or stop being sober completely. I am the same, I opted for the latter.

Okay friendo, here's how I stopped :

I first stopped drinking coffee.
I replaced it by green tea and limit myself to one cup in the morning. Another one at lunch time on working days.

The dopamine curve of tea is longer but lower than coffee's. This means, when I get home, I don't feel as bad as I used too and I don't feel the need to take myself up with cannabis -- I would smoke to get high without staying up all night.

So slightly over a week after I stopped coffee. Cannabis became easy to stop.

Sugar isn't your friend neither, since it gives you a subtle high in mood which will make you impatient and bored once you come down.

Basically, stay away from rapid and high highs. Keep your dopamine curve smooth.

Makes it more enjoyable. I do body weight and it makes me feel a stronger mind to muscle connection. It does take some getting used to. The first dozen or so workouts (can't say for sure how many) will definitely suffer. It may also hurt your recovery if you can't sleep in.

Probably some truth to this post.

I was able to easily quit smoking weed by taking Zoloft. Just didn't want to do it anymore.

just stop smoking, I was in the exact same spot as you and quitting was the best decision I've made
For 1 month you will feel like shit but it gets progressively better (the first week is the worst)

weed gave me terrible anxiety that Ive never had before, which leds to DP/DR,
I felt like I was going completely batshit insane and wanted to kill myself

now I feel much better and I can feel joy in the little things that life has to offer

I'm on phone so I can't >> you all but thanks for the advice. I'm really fucked up and I want to fix my life. I want to be happy without burning money I don't have. Thank you all so much. Especially you for mentioning the tea and coffee. I hadn't thought of that.

I like to smoke a bowl and then go to the gym. I feel way more motivated to lift harder and cardio is wayyyy more fun. Running outside when high in the summer time is also amazing.

I literally smoke everyday and I'm jacked. It doesn't hinder my performance or results in any way. It does increase craving for shit good, but it also help sleep like a fucking rock. I wake up feeling well rested and ready for the day.

>2k and 17
>Still smoking flower

Never gonna make it guise

No diacetyl in marijuana, fuccboi.

If I smoked 2.5 grams by myself I probably wouldn't even be able to stand up straight.

Low tolerance m8 or are you in a medical state? I'm in florida. Market is saturated with med tier because some shop owners are smuggling shit across the state lines.

I don't know how you guys can lift stoned, I only smoke occasionally but when I do all I want to do is take a nap and maybe listen to some music.
I can't get together the drive to do anything but loaf.

Listen man. Though I was never as bad as you, I did have a period in my life where I was in just a dreamy haze from smoking all the time. Memory, attention span, and ability to concentrate were all shot to shit.
Here's the deal: your main problem isn't that you smoke weed. Yes, that's pretty bad, but your main issue is that you do nothing else. The reason you feel depressed is because you've accomplished jack shit in the last 6 years and feel bad about yourself. While weed has certainly had its effect on your motivation, you would have been equally depressed if you didn't smoke this whole time but didn't do anything either.
You need a total lifestyle change, but overhauling everything at once is nearly impossible. You start with baby steps. First, don't even worry about how much you smoke. Continue to smoke as usual, but begin exercising. Go for a 20 minute run every morning. The importance here isn't how hard you exercise, it's the regiment. You need structure and organization in your life so that you can make responsibilities have meaning to you. If responsibilities have no meaning, you'll just make up excuses for not doing them. Whereas, if you feel bad about missing a morning run, that means that it has meaning to you and you won't let it happen again.
You only said that you smoke. You haven't said what else you do with your day, but it's probably not much. If you have a job, you probably half ass it just to get home and smoke. The important thing is you need to start filling your day with shit to do. Not all of it has to be enjoyable stuff. In fact, most of it will probably be a pain in the ass in the beginning, but you need to power through it. Morning exercise, maybe an hour at the gym. If you don't have a job, apply for one. Even if you don't need one, jobs are one of the best ways to fill your time.
One simple trick is to not tell yourself "I can't quit," but "I won't quit." Makes you realize it's your decision keep smoking.

its much easier if you're a regular pothead. when i started smoking i just wanted to eat and watch some shitty youtube videos. after years of smoking regularly it just feels much more like a background drug

Lifting high is pretty cool, it feels like I can feel the mind muscle connection better. I was also less likely to pussy out and was able to make myself do more sets.

I'm in commiefornia. Smoking nearly 3 grams by yourself in one sitting of the stuff here is disabling yourself for the next 4 hours.
>after years of smoking regularly it just feels much more like a background drug
At which point smoking is just stupid. I had been at that point where I was just smoking to "feel right." One day I realized that there is no point of doing a drug if your altered state of consciousness replaces your sober one. There was nothing enjoyable about being high all of the time. The whole point of a high is to compare it to how great it is to being sober. At least that's the thought process that made me cut back on smoking.

I've found that I can push myself further. Although, that's just because I don't notice my muscles screaming at me to stop. I've injured myself before cause of it.

>At which point smoking is just stupid. I had been at that point where I was just smoking to "feel right." One day I realized that there is no point of doing a drug if your altered state of consciousness replaces your sober one. There was nothing enjoyable about being high all of the time. The whole point of a high is to compare it to how great it is to being sober. At least that's the thought process that made me cut back on smoking.

I mean maybe that works for you but my life is just misery when I'm not high and it's okay when i'm high

some people just dont' have any dopamine and shit

The first time I dropped acid I walked for literally the entire trip. Just a solid 8 hours of going up and down a beach. I wasn't so much walking as I was stumbling, but I never once felt even remotely tired or fatigued.

The health risks are diminished to the ones associated with marijuana itself as opposed to it's method of ingestion, which only occurs with regular heavy use over very long periods of time.

this picture triggers me, it's like having

>Dom Perignon
>21 year old scotch
>$1000 bottle of wine
>pour all into a big gulp cup

It's an intoxicant that makes you lazy.

Sure, in moderation it's fine. Everything is. But you're better off alone. Some people just can't handle being sober, tells more about them tbqh. If you need some form of intoxicant and escapism in your life then weed isn't a bad choice.

I'd also like to highlight the importance of being active and doing stuff, even going outside for walks. It's easier if your a regular pothead like this guy pointed out, but most anxiety can be treated by simply being active, getting outside and to the nature, and simply doing things. Walking and exercising is an easy start and don't require any social networks, so anyone can start from there.

>comparing unknown strains into quality alcoholic beverages
Also it's obviously a party blunt, meant for like 10 people

good for DOMS

One week sober but took up cocaine baka

I recently stopped smoking.I feel alot more energized for workout but all the bad memories from my life are coming back,but it kind of makes me work out harder.

i bet you were tired as fuck on the come down though. You probably also slept for a long ass time

Yes I had nausea and weed helped a tiny bit, which with some people is enough to warrant it, that being said it didnt replace the anti nausea gold pills at all but it did help in conjunction with.

nigga, chill the fuck out.

Just a note but everyone in the us except for white trash and niggers ( even so they still do ) get dispensary shit now from your state(s)

Acid is the true workout drug.

Doing pushups until you collapse and then rolling over on your back and watching your surroundings twist around as you recover is one of those indescribable feelings.

I feel like everyone needs to try acid at least once, there's just nothing like it.

>Doing pushups until you collapse and then rolling over on your back and watching your surroundings twist around as you recover is one of those indescribable feelings.
Sounds like some degenerate behavior a junkie would do in a public park before getting detained by police because little girls started crying as they witnessed this weird behaviour

Sounds like something an unenlightened meathead would think.

this

i have no problem with drugs, but they should mean something

Please explain to us how you get popcorn lung from weed

The hardest part of being high, is not eating thousands of calories, for me.

I am very chilled brother

>I heard Arnold used to smoke every now and then

he also did a shit load of roids so he could probably smoke crack and still be swole.

Haha same here, havent smoked in 4 months just to take a break. I have been smoking for like 7 years straight and the break has been really nice actually, but i find myself drinking more often and doing coke on the weekends.

>That one guy in my friends list on facebook that keeps sharing conspiracy theories about medical companies not wanting you to know about marijuana being a magic plant and how smoking every day doesnt make you addicted
Fun fact, he once saw me browsing Veeky Forums three years ago and apparently he now browses /pol/. Really makes you think doesnt it?

After toking up, I just suck cocks rather than working out.

Not, he used to smoke EVERY NOW AND THEN not every week, nor every weekend... also
>Anti inflammatory
>Sucking carbonmonoxide down your lungs.
I'm not full retard anti-weed like Steven Crowder, but it's not a fucking miracle cure either, no matter how much the Diaz brothers and Joe Rogan claim otherwise.

>every now and then
Absolutely useless point.

I've only recently stopped smoking right before lifting after having done it for a couple of months. It's not like my lifts themselves change, but I now don't get that potential for a mid-session crash, while the first part of the session is approximately equally energized, if not slightly more. I also tolerate heavy and intense music more easily, which I always like for heavy lifts.

All in all, I've come to the conclusion that smoking after lifting is the best.

I sometimes smoke before lifting but not usually. Like said it makes it more fun. Weed tends to do that, I might do that again today just to see. Always smoke after since it relaxes muscles, improves blood flow, and gives munchies, leading to fat gains.

Most of the time though, I go to the gym less often when I have kush

DUDE

I think most cardio that isn't sports is boring as fuck, but being high certainly makes it more bearable. Being drunk actually makes cardio semi fun, but more if it's outside

That's what I thought too. Then I went cold turkey for a month and realized that life is just relatively miserable and that I'm that same person even without the weed. People used to call me an asshole a lot when I was much younger, but now I'm much more mellow now that I smoke. Plus, I work a highly demanding restaurant job that essentially requires some kind of inebriation to tolerate. I smoked and drank the most in my life when I was working back to back 12 hour shifts on my feet, 7 days a week

Damn a lot of bias in here. Really feels like we've slammed back to the 90s. Look just like every substance, it is about moderation. And from what I've read on this thread so far is stereotypes of abuse.

Protip weed is super fucking strong these days. You only need a hit and not the whole fucking bowl. Better yet pick up a strong cbd strain and either smoke that or mix it with a high thc strain. Then enjoy probably the best relaxation you can get after a work out.

Also if you take any medications they will all make weed a bad experience. And frankly are worse for you in the long run. Took Wellbutrin as a kid, fried my nerves to the point where I couldn't hold a pencil straight. Worse yet when I smoked for the first time whole taking it. I had a "bad interaction," where I was paralyzed to my chair with my brain trying to devour itself.

Nowadays I manage my shit with weed once in a blue moon. And take cbd if I need to dodge anxiety. Can also hold a pencil straight and got pretty fucking good at art thanks to weed, so that's cool.

I've been smoking weed regularly for a while and learned it can give you patience to do repetitive shit. The same aspect of pot that let's someone be content sitting on a couch all day playing xbox also can help you go the distance in an endurance run. It's kinda like heroin-lite, just makes you content with whatever.

Forget about all these other stoners trying to convince you to keep smoking. I've been where you are, and the weed is absolutely contributing to the darkness you find yourself in. Stop smoking and sort yourself out. The first week will be really tough, but give it a month and you'll feel so much better. You'll need to make some positive lifestyle changes along with stopping smoking, but abstaining from weed will give you the clarity of mind to do so. I smoked daily for 4ish years, and the clarity I have now is a million times better than the haze I lived in, I was a mess.

Conversation over a bowl is one of the few things I miss about toking up. At some point though you realize that the conversations are actually quite stale, and your smoking buddies fairly uninteresting. Forming connections with people does usually take a common interest, but the appeal of weed to the stoner is so pervasive that you spend time chilling with people you'd never want to hang out with otherwise, just because weed is involved. Go play a sport, get involved in some sort of local organization. There's no exact recipe for friendship.