Iron Deficiency?

20m here, started getting a odd bald spot directly on top of my head.

Went to the doctor today and he said it doesn't look like Male Pattern Baldness considering the rest of my hair looks pretty normal.

I've lost 70lbs in 9 months and my diet has been the same 4 food items for months.

Chicken, greek yogurts, Parmesan cheese and fiber bars.

I looked at my diet and I'm getting almost zero iron.

Is my diet retarded, is this normal, how do I fix this?

Other urls found in this thread:

fosterfarms.com/deli/strips-meatballs/southwest-chicken-breast-strips/
nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/667/1
amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Adult-Multi-Gummies/dp/B00M0DR8W8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Eat some food with iron in maybe? Why the fuck did you even come here

idk fag

i thought you guys were big into dieting i was wondering if other anons had this problem

It's super rare for men to be low in iron since they don't lose blood and most people are in excess which makes blood giving healthy.

Anyway get a lab test before taking an iron supp to see if you're actually low. Also your prob seems like you don't eat enough.

I don't mean to sound condescending but...

> I am eating almost zero iron
> should I eat iron?

Surly you could have figured that one out for yourself

I eat 1800-2k calories a day

I just got blood work done and I get results monday.

But yeah I think it would be odd for it to be this iron shit too but I do probably get less than 10% iron each day.

Also I get dizzy which is a symptom of this
It is a retarded question user but like the other user points out, I should be careful before I take iron supplements, no idea why but people warn about taking them

Oh and yeah your diet is retarded, your only source of carbs is fiber bars lol. Eat some rice with your chicken and put fruits or maple syrup in the yogurt.

but i dont get what you came here to ask...
>i am deficient in iron, should i eat more iron?
yes
also, why is your diet that fucking shit anyway? parmesan cheese and fiber bars are expensive, why dont you just eat like a normal person?

Parm kraft cheese is super cheap and I put it on chicken

user im open to ideas if you have any
Thanks user, Ill try some rice out

It's gonna be a bitch trying to hit 200g of protein with 2k calories with rice though

Dizzyness is also a sign of low blood sugar, which would be expected from your great lack of carbs.

user I'm 192 and trying to lose 5lbs a month and also lift whilst doing this

Any idea with other shit factored in how many grams of protein a day I should eat?

You don't need 200g of protein, try 90-150g depending on weight.

Those carbs will do far more for your muscles than an excess of protein.

thanks user

why are carbs better for my muscles

I didn't realize I could be a legend until i swallowed the iron pill

Well I have the opposite problem with hemochromatosis, so I can tell you what I have to try to stay away from. First off, beef is loaded with heme iron and it would definitely give you a bump up. I noticed you're eating chicken which is also a sect source of iron. Lots of cereals, oatmeal, cream of wheat are fortified with iron too. You can also try cooking with an iron skillet. For non-heme iron you can have lots of dark leafy greens like spinach. Pinto beans and lentils will also have some iron in it. Ok no their note, fasting 2 to 3 days out of the week did way more for me than calorie counting ever did. You can take in some carbs on eat days that way.

I read chicken is a good source of iron but on the nutritional information it said only 4% iron?

this is the chicken i eat, 0% iron supposedly?

anyone know why this has such low iron for chicken?

I don't eat red meat, so I get my iron from legumes, peanuts and supplement 12mg a day just to hit my recommended intake.

eat chicken liver twice a week
100g should cover it easy
nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/667/1

They are better fuel for your muscles, plus they make you feel fuller longer and also aid with cardiovascular energy based activities.

Protein is simply an important keystone because it too provides energy, for those who lack carbs and fat to burn, and regardless of the other factors, it is still the best thing to put in your body if you need to repair muscle, which, as you probably know, is how to properly gain muscle (You are awake, you workout, your muscles get a bit beat up, then you get your protein in, and your muscles get repaired faster as you sleep, which leads to your muscles being not as sore when you workout again and it makes them get bigger a bit quicker).

I've been thinking about iron deficiency too. I eat a fair amount of oats and oats have iron but that's about it. Some veggies of course but I doubt it's enough. I read that if you exercise you need more iron than normal since your blood red cells need to regenerate more frequently or something.

also I don't eat red meat and my sister got blood work recently and was found to be low on iron. apparently it's hereditary

because chicken has (next to) no iron. only red meat does.

>It's gonna be a bitch trying to hit 200g of protein

bro.........holy shit bro jesus fuckin christ man...HOW many people am i going to run in here telling me their diet is retarded because they eat 200g fucking protein a day. holy FUCK

WHERE are you getting this idea to eat 200g protein a day??????

1.8g/kg and better safe than sorry bruh

>apparently it's hereditary

almost all women are iron deficient.

wait lads I never realized exactly how much iron there is in veggies. I should be coasting smoothly over 10mg with no effort

>better safe than sorry bruh
do you realize if you were eating half the protein and relatively more carbs, you'd feel twice as energetic during your workout?

i mean how fucking stupid are some of you people? going to Veeky Forums is just being constantly bombarded by fucking stupidity im losing my mind trying to help people on this board jesus fucking christ

I guess i'm just going to take over the sticky here since nobody else who comes to this board has an education in this shit. anyway

>• Protein needs are based on body weight (not percent of calories). While the total daily need is about 0.5 to 0.75 grams protein per pound (1.2-1.7 g pro/kg), a suggested distribution is 0.12-0.14 grams of protein per pound of body weight per meal (0.25-0.3 g pro/kg). For a 150-pound (68 kg) athlete, this comes to about 20 grams protein per meal. For a 120-pound (55 kg) athlete, the dose is about 15 g protein/meal. A 200-pound athlete (90 kg) needs about 25 g protein/meal. Most athletes eat more than this; the extra protein does not build bigger muscles.

This means at 192lb, if you were a PURE ATHLETE BUILT OF MUSCLE, you would need to eat 144g protein a day.

Congratulations, I've helped you become incrementally less retarded. Eat 75g less protein a day and replace the calories with carbohydrate and fat. You're welcome.

Used to be tired as fuck during classes even though I got a full nights rest.
Went to the doctor and had a blood test done.
Turned out to be iron deficiency.
I don't think it's as rare in males as you think.

>do you realize if you were eating half the protein and relatively more carbs, you'd feel twice as energetic during your workout?
lmao nice broscience. I notice the energy difference if I go keto vs low carb, but after a point adding carbs doesn't change a thing. this whole idea is ridiculous.

>This means at 192lb, if you were a PURE ATHLETE BUILT OF MUSCLE, you would need to eat 144g protein a day.
yeah NEED 144g. rather eat some extra than go under by accident, you know about BV, right?

also notice how it doesn't say lean body mass anywhere in the quote, nor does it say lean body mass on the government health ministry guide website.
everbody knows government instructions are for casuals and even they recommend 1.6g/kg

now fuck off oatmeal industry shill

>also notice how it doesn't say lean body mass anywhere in the quote, nor does it say lean body mass on the government health ministry guide website.
>everbody knows government instructions are for casuals and even they recommend 1.6g/kg

my recommendations are from the ACSM you utter fucking retard. keep going with your nonfunctional nogains program though im done peace

you realize that even on a modest 2000kcal diet 200g of protein allows for a 40-40-20 distribution :D
upping carbs from that is not going to fucking DOUBLE your energy during a workout retard

full grain rice has 3.6mg per 100g (uncooked) FYI

thanks user, i appreciate it

green beans has 0.7mg per 100g
broccoli has 1.1mg
spinach has 1.3mg
oats a whopping 5.4mg

so 100g of oats and 500g of veggies a day should keep you covered. I'm not so sure by how much training heavy affects the need though. if anyone has any insight I'd like to hear it too.

Foods that are good sources of iron fall in to two categories: heme and non heme Iron. Heme Iron is found in animal products and is very well absorbed. Non heme Iron is found in plant sources and has quite a low absorption rate.
-Choose a high iron protein at least daily (preferably a heme source), two to three times daily if you have symptoms of low iron.
- Choose at least 1-2 high iron plant foods to help prevent deficiency or replace mild depletion. I always suggest my clients have dark leafy greens at least three times per week and lentils/legumes 1-2 times per week. Aside from the fibre, antioxidant/phytonutrient benefits you'll be upping your iron intake daily. Always pair non-heme iron sources with Vitamin C rich foods (see below for examples).
Heme:
Liver, oysters, mussels, beef, shrimp, poultry (particularly dark meat), sardines, lamb, tuna, trout, salmon
Non Heme: Eat with Vitamin C rich foods to enhance absorption
Pumpkin seeds, some tofu, soybeans (edamame), lentils, hummus, red kidney beans, dark leafy greens (kale, spinach, collard greens, swiss chard), wheat germ, chickpeas, tahini/sesame seeds, quinoa, oats/oatmeal, potato with skin
Vitamin C rich foods: Mainly found in fruits and veggies. Skip juice and have the fruit instead to avoid the sugar rush and crash – its not a performance helper.
Fruit: Guava, papaya, kiwi, strawberries, pineapple, lychee, oranges, cantaloupe, mangos, avocado,
Veggies: Peppers*, broccoli*, red cabbage, brussel sprouts, snow peas, kale, rapini, potato with skin, bok choy

It's male pattern baldness 99% of the time dude. I have a perfect hairline but my hair is thinning from the center of the top out. Doctors aren't always hair experts.

>poultry (particularly dark meat)

should be stated in the same breath that white meat chicken has almost no iron; chicken livers have a huge amount of iron but are disgusting. dark meat has a small amount.

yes an average chicken breast of 200g has only 0.9mg
broccoli is pretty sweet, it has 150% the daily dose of vit C (that helps absorb iron) in only 100g, and 1.1mg of iron so steaming up a little broccoli on your plate seems like a winner

>Chicken, greek yogurts, Parmesan cheese and fiber bars.

Please tell me you're just not including what vegetables you eat.

You fucking mongoloid.

Damn i've got high temples yet thick hair everywhere else.

It's hormones in the cheese and yogurt. Stop dairy

It came on really quick

I'm not ruling it out but it does seem weird.

My hair doesnt shed in the shower at all or anywhere. It just got thin out of nowhere in a certain spot

My doctor said he wouldn't of said anything during a checkup and its really noticeably unless I move my head a certain way but I still dislike it.

His main guess was some stress related hair because of finals, which might be true.

No
:(

So take an iron supplement, genius.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions user

Regardless if its causing me to bald, Im changing the diet

did you take a multi-vitamin before?

Not that user but I'm OP

I took a multi vitamin everyday, zero iron in it I believe

ah, okay, so if it had iron in it, you'd probably not have a deficiency.

user maybe im retarded but this is what I take

on one of the pictures you can see the nutrition, i cannot find iron on it

amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Adult-Multi-Gummies/dp/B00M0DR8W8

Why would you only eat 4 things, that's dumb

Pretty new and it was easy to stick to and it worked relatively alright

yeah, can't see iron on it either.
that looks like a shit multi-vitamin by the way.
no magnesium, no zinc, no iron, no iodine, no selenium.
lot's of things missing.

Sweet, thanks
and yeah I won't be taking it again

>my diet has been the same 4 food items for months.
Thats not a fucking diet its starvation. You cant get a balanced diet from 4 foods.