So is starting strength a meme? I'm a month in and considering switching to greyskull

so is starting strength a meme? I'm a month in and considering switching to greyskull

We have this very thread every day.
At least explain what your issue with it is if you want opinions

If you're just in your second month you should only care to lift things up for the purpose of putting them down, sleep and diet
Generally speaking, you shouldn't "hop" routines every month; give them at least three months, no more than six (definitively drop SS or whatever you're following after six months MAX of CONSISTENT training)
You'll care about PPL/Upper-Lower or whatever later on
Don't forget to read the motherfucking sticky

>I'm a month in
are you making strength gains?

If yes, clearly it's working

I switched to gslp Veeky Forums version after one month too since I was stalling a bit on ohp and bench. It's basically the same thing though so whatever. Still making progress so I don't see why you shouldnt switch if you feel like it

If you want, add chins. You know like the program says.

>implying people who complain about SS bothered to read it
How much do you expect from someone who switches after one month because he was """"stalling""""?

getting almost two hours in the gym at a time, too exhausted from squats to get a proper deadlift afterwards. I think low bar squat and deadlift every work day works the posterior chain too much
yes, though still really noob. pic related is not counting the bar, I don't use a standard 20kg one
>gslp Veeky Forums version
what is that?
I am adding a couple sets after deads, I just want to know if it's ok to alternate, so almost the same as greyskull except for alternating squats and deads

>Getting almost two hours in the gym
>2 hours
>7 sets

Nigga I get through 15 sets in ~35 mins
Wtf are you doing for 2 hours

warm ups and long rest times.

You're resting for way too long. I rest 1-1.5 mins between each set, how long are you resting?

wait a minute, you are deadlifting every time you go to the gym? am i misunderstanding this?

Post your "SS" routine. It sounds like you couldn't even follow the sticky

1-1,5min?! You're resting way too long. 30s is the absolute max, and that's only on heavy squats or deadlift. Otherwise try to keep rest in the 10-15s range.

30s?! That's such a long time to rest you should be resting 5 seconds no more

5s?! Way too long buddy. It should be only 0.5s and 1s for heavy lifts.

.5s?! Not even bro. You shouldn't rest until you bench 4pl8 minimum.

why are you not counting the bar?

Yes.
You should start with high reps.
Then do "starting-strength" after you've gained mass or lost fatness.
>We all know you start going to gym to look good.

These guys are all memeing, but you shouldn't let your rests exceed five minutes, which it sounds like you might be doing.

I use 5 min rest periods and i still manage to finish the SS routine in under an hour. If i need to rush, ill be out in 30.

I don't think OP is following the routine correctly. That or he is just trolling

>what is that
Pic

Is PPL a meme?

no

>almost two hours in the gym at a time
first mistake; too long session (and you're a newbie) are worthless and you enter in a catabolic state, hampering your current and future gains
>too exhausted from squats to get a proper deadlift
go lighter, focus on form. If necessary do barbell-only squats. You should always use sub-maximal RMs if you have many sets awaiting for you

If i do heavy 3s while on a diet. (low carbs) i really do need the 5 mins. If you train with someone the rest time goes up as well.

>AMRAP
>2x5
>1x5+
dropped and trashed.

Amraps are actually the shit for hypertrophy. You also gain strength about as fast.

What's the problem exactly? Anyway I just do 3x5, because I try to increase the weight every workout or at least every other, but since the smallest plate at my gym is 1.25kg it's kind of hard

5 minutes is fine. I rest about that long between sets and I'm 2 months into SS with some good gains. I just feel like more than 5-6 minutes and your body starts to cool down too much.

Yeah whenever ive just catched my breath after heavy sets i go again.

You have to count the bar you dipshit

>he believed the don't count the bar meme

greyskulls better for beginners imo but it honestly doesn't matter, when your linear progression stalls out then you've gotta start thinking properly

They're "the shit" if your routine is shit.

eat more

>is starting strength a meme?
the upper body volume is way too low, otherwise it's fine. add weighted dips 3x5 on the OHP day and replace power cleans with rows, or do both, and you should be fine

Jesus that's pathetic. Get some work in mate, not there yet!

But you're gonna make it, stick to the program!

You're doing it wrong. Read ss again. I personally preferred atronglifts 5x5 at the beginning but either one works and neither is a meme. Gotta do them correctly tho

kek

It's a good idea if you are going to train more than 3 days per week.

OTOH if you train less than 3 days a week you're never ever hitting enough volume for real gains

>SS is a meme

SS isn't a meme and based on this you should stay on it. Don't even think about changing things up until you can squat at least 225x3x5. Drinking too much milk is a meme though, you will get super fat.

>Don't even think about changing things up until you can squat at least 225x3x5
are you fucking retarded, that's babyweight
if you sleep right and eat right (no GOMAD, but a solid 3k calories a day) an average person can easily go past 3pl8 squat on SS

>his rest is more then 1.5m
>he thinks he is making it

With warming up and micro loading? I feel like that's where most of my time goes. Should I just jump right into a set instead?

Yes

>I personally do not like starting strength.
The basic philosophy is to powerlift and strength train around sets of 5 rep maxes which adds a major element of time over tension to most powerlifting methods. I personally don't structure my lifting regimen around the powerlifts, but when I go heavy I sometimes use the sets of 5 philosophy.
Greyskull is a shitmeme. Try talking to a gymbro about your "hurr durr grayskull hurr" meme split.

noob here, is it normal to struggle with OHP at the start? Progressing with all the other lifts but OHP. I'm progressing at like 2.5kg per week as I fail OHP on every other workout. I have to bend my back just to push it off my shoulder

ok two things

1) you shouldn't be bending you back
when you bend your back you're doing what's known as "laid back press" which is not an OHP, you need to be standing straight up with a tight locked core and be pushing the weight straight up using your shoulders (go watch Rippitoes video on YouTube about OHP, I had the same problem as you and it helped)

2) it's perfectly normal to stall on OHP
you have to realize that adding 2.5kg to OHP is a lot more than adding 2.5kg to your squat or bench when you look at the lifts in perspective
OHP works the delts which are one of the smallest muscle groups you use in SS, so naturally they will have the hardest time keeping up with your other lifts if you add the same weight across all your lifts

just gotta stick with it, eat more, and improve your form user

you'll make it

>girl on left
This is why you don't get fake tits.

if you are at any level past novice that sounds pretty unlikely

have fun doing SS or texas method in half an hour when you're doing 385x5x5 etc plus warmups and mobility and rolling etc

rip says to bend a little at the hips tho

H I P S

not leaning back when you press, just a small about of hip movement when you're getting the bar past your head then back to standing tall and straight

Here is what 2 hours in my gym gets me (did this today)

>3×6 weighted pullups, 10lb,
>2×5 weighted pullups, 5lb,
>2×6 unweighted pullups
>5×12 dumbbell rows each arm, 50lbs (don't know what my little dumbbell barbell thing weighs so I don't count that. Can't add more than a pound or two though.)
>3×5 ohp at 125lbs
>5×12 side delt raises at 15lbs per arm
>5×12 rear delt raises at 10lbs per arm
>3×12 dumbbell shrugs at 35lbs (could go higher I think but haven't really been pushing myself on that).
Core circuit
>15 hanging leg raises
>20 slow crunches
>20 weighted crunches, 35lb
>20 ankle reaches, each side
>Bicycle crunches, 30 reps where 1 rep is touching both knees
>Laying down leg raises
>Repeat ×3
>One minute plank
>One minute side plank, both sides
>Repeat planks twice

I feel like I've forgotten an exercise. Would you guys say I'm taking too long of rest periods between sets? On the core stuff I switch asap, generally within 20 seconds, but everything else varies wildly. Some days I'm ready to go again on a lift after barely any time, other times I need to wait a little longer.

Not op btw

yeah I know, I'm not that guy. Just said it so he doesnt think he should stand perfectly straight. btw, is it normal to feel the mid back in the hard last reps or am I leaning foward without noticing

It's still good, just drop the amrap and it's still a perfectly fine beginner program.

Linear programs are retarded unless you are already moderately Veeky Forums before starting. You'll plateau or hurt yourself in a few weeks.

ah fuck, my core is weak. would I be better off deloading to the bar and starting again form the bar? Only doing 27.5kg at the moment.

Are you genuine?

can you do such a routine after noob gainz but still weak as fuck?

my numbers are
>OHP 45kg
>bench 60kg
>squat 70kg
>diddly 100kg
these are 5RMs

yeah yeah I'm a fuckup and never gonna make it but after all these, do I still do beginner routines like that or do intermediate programming with these shit numbers?

I've been thinking about this for a while, and a lot of people mentioned not doing SS or the beginner routines for more than a couple of months or so.

So, what gives?

Also, I'm 6'5 185lbs, gained only 10lbs with 3k kcals in more than half a year.

She is a shit waifu.
Veeky Forums needs better e-celebs.

This.

Starting Strength is a "meme" when someone fucks around on it for a year or more.

It's called Starting Strength for a reason.

pussy

where do i find this calculator? fuck you for not posting the url with the pic you fucking faggot

fuck you for being a newfag, newfag

I literally tear up everytime i see her, knowing that i'll never hold her in my arms. I've never experienced waifufaggotry of this magnitude, what should i do bros?

It's just another fucking person. You never even met her.

Stop posting niggerwhores

Welp, i'm cured. Thanks user.

Starting strength will work very well for 3-6 months, and then its kinda up to luck. If you're looking for size, do starting strength or stronglifts 5x5 for 3 months, then do 3 more months but on sets of 10, and then come back for a new program. You'll have a good base to start on

Starting strength is a meme, but if you are a beginner looking to get STRONG(not aesthetic) there is almost no better routine. If you want to get aesthetic then you should be working out each muscle at least twice a week, doing isolated core work(crunches, planks, v-ups, leg raises), and cardio at least 3x a week. ULxULxx is good, PPLPPLx is better(imo). You can even make your own splits pretty easily, do at least 6 different exercises each workout and do at least 4 sets each exercise. Honestly if you want to get aesthetic SS is definitely one of the worst routes to take. I think beginners would be better off just doing a meme routine like 200 push-ups/situps and 100 chinups and a 5k run errday for a month or two if they want to get the teenage girl wet dream physique.

>not counting the bar
never change Veeky Forums

what a shame
eww

Man, just from seeing this , she instantly lost 10 pts in my eyes, she is now a -1/10.
Fat bitches and zoophiles are intrinsically rancid.

What do you mean?

wtf race traitor bitch. Deleted her pictures from my folder and never jacking it to her again. Fucking nasty sjw.

>ss a meme
every day of the week this thread will pop up and i dont even care anymore so heres king

yeah nah fuck ya buddy you're too new

I said I didnt have a standardized 20kg bar. I made another guessing 10kg for it. I don't think it's that high though