How come I barely ever see anyone mention back extensions?

How come I barely ever see anyone mention back extensions?

been doing them for a little while recently and they've quickly become my favourite assistance exercise

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GpG21_BpEfs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Used as an assistance exercise for deadlifts they're not as effective as say a speed deadlift or some kind of variation, because the motor pattern is different. On the other hand, most normies who don't do deadlifts don't train their erectors at all so, barely anyone does them, let alone recommend them.

But lots of powerlifters and Rippetoe too, recommend doing them.

Yes for powerlifting they probably aren't the best because specificity is king but for general strength training I think they're probably the best

I started doing them a couple months back and they are awesome. This exercise alone pretty much solved my low back pain problems.

I do rows in the Roman chair and then superset hyperextensions with the same weight. I enjoy it very much.

>rows in the roman chair

what do you mean?

Because most of people talking here are DYELs praising the SS memes and have zero knowledge about bodybuilding.
The most knowledgeable ones won't try to praise some actual science because of the DYELs monkeys out there
Great exercise though.

I do bent over rows on this machine. It's absolutely goat for back.

I use a wide grip to row a barbell from the floor to my chest while I'm on the Roman chair, kinda like a Pendlay row, just as an accessory.

>entire post is an autistic sperg out filled with meme shit

Great contribution, friend. Thank you for your valuable insight. You have added literally nothing to the conversation. Please never post again.

>tfw this really hits your glutes and hams

Currently doing it with lmao3/4pl8

I see lots of people doing back extensions at my gym. Mostly women, older dudes, and younger guys. None of the serious lifters do them.

What did you contribute?

because they're pretty much worthless if you do deadlifts or squats

clarence does them

just because you do the big 3 doesn't mean all assistance exercises are worthless

wait do you mean you're doing it with 3/4 actual plates or a barbell with 3/4 plates on either side? if it's the second that's retard strong

>say that one assistance exercise is worthless
>get a reply "not all assistance exercises are worthless"

I am a retard, but not that strong unfortunately. It's 35s on each side (aka 115)

how are they useless? they work the hamstring through the full range of motion in hip extension

they're only redundant if you're doing stiff legged deadlifts already

they are far and away the most underrated exercise you can do.

they're not useful for building hamstrings or glutes because you typically don't load them.
(unless you're crazy like pete rubish)

ofcourse they can be used by high level lifters for variation and injury prevention and blabla, but for most lifters squats and deadlifts will be more than adequate.

>because you typically don't load them.

what are you talking about? People that do them regularly do load them, they're extremely easy to load by holding dumbbells or a barbell

>but for most lifters squats and deadlifts will be more than adequate.

almost all lifters who aren't beginners would benefit from using lower body assistance exercise like GHR, rdl, back extensions etc.

Not true I go to a powerlifting/strongman gym and people do these all the time. I like snatch grip barbell back extensions personally. My spinae erectors have grown significantly from those.

a dumbell isn't going to provide enough resistance for it to work the hamstrings and glutes properly.
a barbell could, but almost nobody uses that because it's impractical to put a barbell on your back in that position.
holding a barbell can work, depending on the back extension machine, but pretty much nobody does that, because at that point why not just deadlift?

there's nothing really that GHR or back extensions provide over deadlifts/SLDLs/RDLs.

back extensions are nice to get people to learn how to hip hinge though.
not so much actual training.

anyway, it's not like using it wil harm gains, so it doesn't matter.
i personally use back extensions occasionally just to get blood flowing and to stretch a bit.

I do them but what is there to talk about? Great accessory exercise for your lower back. That's pretty much it.

how won't it? the dumbbells at my gym go up to 80kg

if you're at the point holding 2 80kg dumbbells won't provide enough stimulation for your hamstrings on this exercise then you're very strong and you can just use a barbell anyway

here's a video if you're struggling to think about how to add weight
youtube.com/watch?v=GpG21_BpEfs

>there's nothing really that GHR or back extensions provide over deadlifts/SLDLs/RDLs

GHR has the fact it works the hamstrings through the full range of motion of knee flexion unlike either of those exercises

SLDL and back extensions are personal preference like i said earlier that doing one means the other is pretty redundent

>anyway, it's not like using it wil harm gains, so it doesn't matter.

I don't understand how using progressive overlead and doing an exercise over the full range of motion of hip extension won't grow your hamstrings? that doesn't make any sense

oops when you said harm gains i thought you said ham gains, my bad. ignore the last bit

yeah, the dumbbells in my gym go upto 50kg and i consider that a lot.
many commercial gyms only go up to like 30kg.

i mentioned pete rubish myself, so i dunno why you'd think i dont know how they can be done with a barbell...
people just don't do them because they're awkward, often not even allowed in commercial gyms like that, and hold no real value over normal deadlifts/SLDLs/RDLs.
(generally speaking. im not saying someone like pete rubish shouldnt do them)

there's nothing special about training the hamstrings through knee flexion that makes it different from hip extension, strength and muscle wise.

kek

I used to load them, but I've honestly found it better to put my arms up, Superman style, and hold a few more seconds at the top. I feel like I get a better burn and more results than when I was adding weight.

i like to do both, per athlean x train concentric, isometric, and eecentric. I do them heavy with a 25 lb plate or less sometimes for few reps faster tempo, sometimes do less weight with mad reps, finish out with weightless static hold.