137 pounds. I'm starting SS next week. If I eat my body weight in protein a day, get necessary water and vitamin intake...

137 pounds. I'm starting SS next week. If I eat my body weight in protein a day, get necessary water and vitamin intake, and have a decent caloric surplus, I'm hoping to achieve some gains. Any workout / health pitfalls I should avoid? Just gimme a quick rundown.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7HRqB30lxmo&t=366s
muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength
stronglifts.com/5x5/
Veeky
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

By body weight in protein I obviously mean 137 grams not 137 pounds

EAT BIG TO GET BIG CMON

Don't forget all of your dietary requirements are dynamic not static and need to be updated weekly, fortnightly, monthly etc as you progress.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you think SS is?

The workout routine. Mark Rippetoe right?

Well I know it's a book. Sorry forgot to add that

Yep, so that's broad picture. What I'm asking you is what you are actually going to do in the gym for the next couple of months.

The ABA BAB workout plan. I have it all written down in my notebook at home. Can't remember which workouts exactly though

>ABA BAB workout plan

Which one, and for how long?

Assuming you do all of that, you'll be fine.

One important thing you don't mention, but might know already -

Assuming you're consistent, literally going 3-4 times a week and adding weight each time, you'll outgrow it in a few months, normally like three or four.

It's called STARTING Strength for a reason. Get your lifts to "decent" (which is obviously an individual thing, I just mean keep adding weight each workout and stall/deload if needed) and move onto an intermediate routine.

If your goal is size/aesthetics, then more volume is ideal. A PPL routine works wonders assuming you're lifting a decent amount with a strength base built up on SS.

As for pitfalls - look out for signs of injury. Rare,and fucking obvious. Don't try to be a big man and push through it. General aches and pains after lifting heavy are normal, but any obvious sharp pain, swelling, redness, tingling, numbness, etc is an obvious sign something is up.

Nail your form too. Get a friend, ideally someone who lifts to help out, or use the mirrors in the gym. Bad form, especially a rounded back, is a sure-fire way to fuck yourself up when shit gets heavy. Again, it's STARTING Strength, and one of the main purposes is to get that form nailed so you can start to concentrate on lifting for size.

Fuck dude, I don't know which one. It involved a bit of bench pressing, deadlifting, squats, standing military press... I'm on my phone away from home atm so i don't really have any accessibility.

I plan to go for the rest of June initially, then I'm travelling for two weeks but then I'll return to it.

Appreciate it dude

I'm starting to think you don't know what you're talking about, are a bit mental, or are just trolling.

He's said he's doing Starting Strength. I don't get what you're asking?

It's not fucking rocket science. He'll go to the gym, do the three lifts in the program, and repeat the next time.

It literally couldn't be more simple. That's the fucking point.

You should read the book or at least get a good understanding of the progression scheme within the routine; there are a couple variants of SS and you progress between them while also progressing weight.

>, literally going 3-4 times a week and adding weight each time
DNDTP

> you'll outgrow it in a few months, normally like three or four.
DNDTP

>Get your lifts to "decent" (which is obviously an individual thing, I just mean keep adding weight each workout and stall/deload if needed) and move onto an intermediate routine.
DNDTP

>He's said he's doing Starting Strength.

Most people have their own idea of what "Starting Strength" is. Few seem to actually know what it is and how to implement it. I'm curious as to what he 'thinks' is SS.

>It's not fucking rocket science.

But it's not obvious either. Most people get it wrong, that should tell you something.

>. He'll go to the gym, do the three lifts in the program, and repeat the next time.

So he won't do the program then...

>It literally couldn't be more simple. That's the fucking point.

The point is to safely get you as strong as quickly as possible. If you want simplicity do one of bill starr's old novice circuits.

Make sure to lift 5 days a week, with 3 days you will see slow progress

A PT gave me my program and it works just good
5 days a week

Obviously I'm going to follow a weight progression. Also no idea what DNDTP means

>I'm going to follow a weight progression.

What does that even mean

>dndtp

It's so common for people who think they're doing SS to actually do something different that the acronym DNDTP (Did not do the program) was invented and is used commonly when discussing novices.

youtube.com/watch?v=7HRqB30lxmo&t=366s

watch all the videos in this series for bench, squat, and dl. highbar squat is probably easier to learn i started on it. he teaches lowbar which might be hard if you dont have muscles there yet.

I'm going to increase my weight as I go. Are you some sort of special lad?

You're making this WAY more complex than it needs to be.

And what the fuck does DNDTP mean?

Starting Stength is fucking simple -

Workout A -
Squat - 3x5
OHP - 3x5
Deadlift - 3x5

Workout B -
Squat - 3x5
Bench Press - 3x5
Deadlift - 3x5

Go to the gym every other day, or 3 times a week, alternate A and B. Start with the empty bar, add 5kg each time.

Fucking. Simple.

Yeah there are variations, and if you get money as a "certified starting strength coach" by trying to reinvent the wheel all the time, then good on you.

But the guy is just trying to lift some weight using one of the most simple and popular novice programs in the world.

At least answer his questions or give him some pointers instead of being so fucking pedantic, patronising, and cryptic.

Correction. Meant 5lbs each time. Or 2.5kg.

That's a guide of course. Microload using 1.25 plates if needed - you will down the line.

Conversely, if you start with the empty bar and say, deadlifts are way too easy, add 10kg.

Provided you're adding weight and not stalling regularly, then once again, it isn't rocket science.

>I'm going to increase my weight as I go.

Well you basically just explained every successful weightlifting program ever invented. Big picture thinking like that gets you nowhere, you need to actually read SS or the cliffs to figure out what starting strength is otherwise you're going to waste a lot of your precious time.

> if you get money as a "certified starting strength coach" by trying to reinvent the wheel all the time, then good on you.

What I advocate is the exact same programming in Starting strength, which has been more or less identical since the early 2000s when the 1st edition was produced.

I'm also not charging anything for my services here.

>Starting Stength is fucking simple -

Workout A -
Squat - 3x5
OHP - 3x5
Deadlift - 3x5

Workout B -
Squat - 3x5
Bench Press - 3x5
Deadlift - 3x5

Congrats, you just correctly described one phase of starting strength, this phase typically lasts about a fortnight usually not much more unless the weights started too light.

What are you going to do after the fortnight? If you think the program you just described is the SS method you have no fucking clue.

I'm suprised that you come on the internet and talk with such authority about something you know 3/5ths of fuck all about.

Also 3x5 deadlifts.

Please kindly read the fucking book retard.

>certified starting strength coach AMA

lol @ ur life

Fair call.

Ok mate. What do you recommend for a new workout plan after i do starting strength for two weeks? Is that what you're getting at?

I stand corrected - I imagine this "certified starting strength coach" struggles to make much money out of it as I assume most people walk out after about 5 minutes of his company.

I'm also going to make a few more assumptions about him -

>40s or 50s.
>lives in middle-America
>single and divorced, or living in a loveless marriage
>kids who are grown up but he's never been close to and rarely sees
>bald/balding
>likes muscle cars but is too poor to own one
>has a very specific taste in music, possibly some sub-genre of metal. Scoffs and gets angry over people liking any other style of music, and becomes extremely angry when people make an innocent comment about his preferred genre because they don't know as much about it as he does
>viciously and violently opposed to pedophilia in public and will often call for pedos to be tortured and hanged, but his internet habits have him on some sort of FBI watchlist
>similar story as above with homosexuality, but without the watchlist of course
>on that note, hates "niggers" and will rant about it to anyone whether they're listening or not
>likes to think of himself as interesting and intelligent, but simply comes across as unbearably arrogant and angry to others and any actual intelligence is rendered pointless in life due to his inability to communicate and take on knowledge/wisdom from others

OP - Just read the fucking program and follow it.

Remember SS/SL and the like are just guides. Do basic, heavy, compound movements in the gym, 3-4 times a week. Add weight when you can, be consistent, and eat properly. You know this though. This isn't some test. You're simply trying to gain size and strength.

Appreciate it mate.

Bro log off for the night

>What do you recommend for a new workout plan after i do starting strength for two weeks?

Why would you do starting strength for 2 weeks?
Do starting strength for as long as humanly possible while you are able to consistently add weight to the bar. Likely 5-9 months.

If you're travelling a bit like you say, you'll probably do it for even longer because you will detrain while away. and pick up a week or two back from where you left.

>40s or 50s.
nope
>lives in middle-America
nope
>single and divorced, or living in a loveless marriage
>kids who are grown up but he's never been close to and rarely sees
nope
>bald/balding
nope
>likes muscle cars but is too poor to own one
nope
>has a very specific taste in music, possibly some sub-genre of metal. Scoffs and gets angry over people liking any other style of music, and becomes extremely angry when people make an innocent comment about his preferred genre because they don't know as much about it as he does
nope
>viciously and violently opposed to pedophilia in public and will often call for pedos to be tortured and hanged, but his internet habits have him on some sort of FBI watchlist
nope
>similar story as above with homosexuality, but without the watchlist of course
nope
>on that note, hates "niggers" and will rant about it to anyone whether they're listening or not
nope
>likes to think of himself as interesting and intelligent, but simply comes across as unbearably arrogant and angry to others and any actual intelligence is rendered pointless in life due to his inability to communicate and take on knowledge/wisdom from others
nope

Let me make some assumptions about you now:

>Doesn't know how to do starting strength.

>Remember SS/SL and the like are just guides.

Stronglifts is sub-optimal, the fact that you use them in this context leads me to believe you actually don't know shit all about the method.

I'm guessing many of these questions would be answered if you guys bothered to read the book?

Also for OP -

muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength

Read that. It says "4 week" but you can push it to three or four months as I say provided you follow the advice I gave above.

To give you a better understanding if anything, and maybe to give you a variation you might prefer, read up on Stronglifts.

stronglifts.com/5x5/

It's a very similar routine. The guy who "created" it basically developed it from a routine developed by a bodybuilder in the 50s (Reg Park, and he openly admits this) but can come across like a used car salesman at times with his "inner circle" (if he's still peddling that).

Again, just read the program and follow it if you prefer it over Starting Strength. It's simple. No need to complicate this.

>muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength

The blind leading the fucking blind. The reason you don't know shit about SS is because you take your advice from MARK BARROSO instead of Mark Rippetoe.

>2017
>linking Stronglifts

Mehdi is a conman, who doesn't even squat lamo4plate. His program is stupid and caters to people who are stupid. You are probably stupid if you unironically think that SS and SL are anything like each other.

>Why would you do starting strength for 2 weeks?
>Do starting strength for as long as humanly possible while you are able to consistently add weight to the bar. Likely 5-9 months.

You made it sound like he needed to quit after two weeks, because I posted the first two weeks of the program which was "wrong".

What you then go onto say is literally what I've been saying.

The book is decent, but if you're just wanting a simple program to follow as a novice lifter, you just need to read a webpage.

Haha, thanks but it's only half 7 here. And this guy is hilarious.

SS and SL are pretty much exactly the same program.

I grant that you can (successfully) argue that there are many and varied complex differences between the two, but for the purposes of what OP is doing, they're the same.

OP (and correct me if I'm wrong mate) is most likely a skinny guy looking to add some muscle. Like 99% of guys who want to start lifting.

By going to the gym 3-4 times a week, doing 3-4 heavy compound movements that cover all major muscle groups, adding weight each time, he'll get a strength base needed to grow.

The reason guys on Veeky Forums call programs like SS/SL a "meme" is because of people like you, who take them WAY too fucking seriously, massively over-complicate it, and confuse the fuck out of people.

We're literally talking about picking up some weights, and putting them back down again.

If the guy wants to be a powerlifter and spend every waking minute talking about how increase his PR, then fine.

But if, as I suspect, he just wants to get started in the gym, then this is all pointless.

No one who lifts to look good bothers with this shit more than the basic advice I've given a million times now - heavy compound movements, regularly, consistently, add weight when possible.

No wonder so many beginners get scared off this shit.

I don't get your point.

Or are you our "coach" but forgot/were too much of a pussy to put your name in for that post?

>But if, as I suspect, he just wants to get started in the gym, then this is all pointless.

What he wants to do is starting strength. Because it's the best way to get strong.

Literally, what you are saying is: Why bother taking 30 minutes to learn what the program ACTUALLY is in order to get optimal gains in the fastest time possible.

Why bother taking a small amount of time to do something properly, when you can listen to some dumb self-contradicting cunt on Veeky Forums who obviously doesn't know how to do the program.

By all means OP, be a another pleb who didn't get past the 1st chapter and thinks SS is a simple A/B program only marginally different than SL like the empty can rattling the most who keeps responding to me.

>We're literally talking about picking up some weights, and putting them back down again.

wow very profound.

Why have you stopped using your tripcode?

And if you read my post, I'm saying take 30 minutes, hell take a few hours, to read up on this and other similar starting programs, and fucking pick one.

What I'm advising against (though I imagine OP has left this shitstorm well behind) is being autistic about it and getting angry when your precious program isn't followed to the letter, because god forbid someone doesn't read and know every single thing about it before lifting some weights.

I also don't see why this is making you so angry?

I didn't start off trying to troll you, but the fact you keep ignoring obvious questions, keep changing your story, keep projecting, and keep getting angrier is making it more fun.

>SS
I can't believe people are still getting memed by this program

Go do fierce 5 novice and not some shitty program like ss

>Why have you stopped using your tripcode?
Veeky Forums.org/faq#trip

>And if you read my post, I'm saying take 30 minutes, hell take a few hours, to read up on this and other similar starting programs, and fucking pick one.

You're saying, inter alia: Read some stupid chinese whispers version of the program written on muscleandfitness.com by mark borrorio, do phase 1 of the program for 3-4 months, or do SL.

All of which is sub optimal advice someone who didn't take the time to learn about SS would do.

>What I'm advising against (though I imagine OP has left this shitstorm well behind) is being autistic about it and getting angry when your precious program isn't followed to the letter, because god forbid someone doesn't read and know every single thing about it before lifting some weights. I don't see why this is making you so angry

What you don't understand is that what you THINK is SS, is actually not SS and is completely, fundamentally different to SS and is missing all of the important things which make a well executed novice progression on SS.

>keep changing your story

Do SS as written in the book is my story dipshit.

You're the one advocating (currently) about 3 different types of SS, none of which are SS.

Read the book user. Nail form, learn theory, warm up, and he specifically mentions adding chins, but basically accessorizing whatever so long as it does not get in the way of your lifts. This is inn the chapter on programming. All those trexes did not do the program.

>3x5 Deadlifts
You are 100% guaranteed troll or an low functioning autist off his fucking meds.

He's correcting him you mongoloid, re-read the post and post he's replying to which is claming SS has you do sets across deadlifts.

You are correct, my apologies.

Don't forget that PPST3 also has an excellent novice programming section which IMO is more elucidating than SSBBT with examples and other programming tips that do not feature in SSBBT

I do
Bp 5x5
Sq 5x5
Dl 5x5
Every second day. I kight start to alternate bp eith ohp.

Why do fags cry about 5x5dl?

How much do you lift @ what bodyweight in competition?