Was Socrates natty?

was Socrates natty?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockchain
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socrates#Military_service
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcibiades#Early_years
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I hate that we're supposed to take everything these philosophers and great thinkers said so seriously. Like fuck, what if Socrates said "A man shouldn't die before experiencing the beauty that is shitting in a diaper."

People'd be like well shit Socrates said it, time to buy some pampers

You're a fucking idiot.

Kek
>getting brainwashed this easily

That statue is Hercules.

for strongest man alive that peroid his legs were fucking small kek

He would've been ridiculed for saying it, and people wouldn't bother talking about him centuries after his death.

He was a demigod, his Herculean strength didn't come from muscles.

Right and you know this how? Are you an Ancient Greek? They were weird motherfuckers maybe diapers were a common thing

people still read their stuff two and a half millennia after it was written for a reason, my good pal

are you really this dense?

HERCULES does BROSPLIT and fucks hot GREEK BITCHES while YOU do SS and MASTURBATE to PHILOSOPHY
>SS victims BTFO and on suicide watch

Is hemlock natty?

>being this bored on such a nice day

just kys already lil homie

>brainwashed
You must be descended from a lesser people. Hellenic ideals are literally the best of any culture.

This has to be a joke. No one can actually be this ass backwards retarded.

>lol people think the most influential thinkers in history are so smart just because of hype

Does your wrangler know you're on the chans, retard-san?

THe fucks a blockchain?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockchain

the tldr is "it's what makes bitcoins work"

How does it have to do with blades etc?

It doesn't. He's namedropping it to sound like an edgy hacker-type to normies.

The farmers walk was done by everyone and their mothers before the industrial revolution.

People had to carry shit everywhere. Youd get this body by accident

When farmers walking should I shrug permanently?
Or is it really just hold the weight and walk?

your shoulders should be pinned back

If you try to permashrug, you're in for some serious tension headaches

Jesus christ, never post again

Ah of course here come the masses to suckle at the tit of a long expired "thinker". If these "thinkers" didn't think of these ideas someone else would have.

>thinkers don't matter because somebody could have just had their idea

nigga what

I don't even know what you're trying to say at this point. Do you think people just like to worship beardy dead guys for no reason? The interesting bit is the idea. Anyone could have had them, but as history would have it particular people did and then expressed and spread them. That's literally what makes it interesting. That the ideas transcend the people who had them.

You know, these quotes work because deep down you fucking know they're right. And that's why they are remembered for.
Now if you'd tell someone that shitting yourself is glorious, they'd probably tell you you're fucking retarded. Tell the same person that it's a joy to see your body rise to peak performance ? That's much more relatable.

You're not supposed to just accept everything they said literally. Plato, Socrates and Aristotle got a lot of shit wrong and also disagreed vehemently. The point is that the sheer volume and depth of their ideas have shaped western thought ever since. You can't begin to understand philosophy, theology or history without knowing at least the basics of the ancients. It's like the Bible, even if you're an atheist you can't deny the influence and importance of it as a document.

>you're not supposed to take them literally
So a bunch of gay old Greek dudes became historically famous for open ended "thoughts" that I'm sure every person has thought at some point in their life? That's dumb as shit

So this is what being stupid looks like.

>hurr durr you don't buy into my fad of pretending to understand the wisdom imparted by these people

It's okay user, we won't make you read them. If you can't entertain the idea that somebody might introduce you to an idea you hadn't come up with yourself, or push you further with it than you would have gone, then there is no point to it.

Enjoy never challenging yourself user.

But Socrates himself was known to be somewhat malformed and a hunchback, and people would laugh at his pig face. I always read this quote, which seems to be highly praised on this board, like the expression of some resignation and selfpity as Socrates knew well how he wouldn't be able of achieving ideal beauty on his own body.
This interpretation, at the same time, sheds some new insights on his dialogues with Phaedrus and the jerarquization of the lover higher than the loved one as a way to overcome his resentment through idealism (as beauty, on the more mundane plane, wouldn't be achievable for Socrates; that is, in his own body).

Though, at the same time, Socrates' resentment fits perfectly with this board.

You said it, "challenging yourself"
Or in other words, not relying on the words of some primitive ancient relic of a human to derive meaning and purpose in one's life. Got it.

>If these "thinkers" didn't think of these ideas someone else would have.

>relying on

If that's what you think philosophy is, then it wouldn't help you anyway. What you're thinking of is dogma.

Is fucking cute boys the secret to the ancient Greek physique?

>primitive ancient relic of a human
>thinking that one is primitive just because he lived over two thousand years ago
People might have new toys now but are otherwise the same as they were then.

Damn Boi that's some quality bait.

>Plato
>Socrates
>Aristotle

All hacks. Diogenes is the most Veeky Forums of all the ancient philosophers. Can any of you even into cynicism?

>implying Veeky Forumsizens are intelligent enough to be aware of their own ignorance.

I remember my first day on Veeky Forums...

Because people dont think for themselves? The shit philosophers spout should be common knowledge to those with half a brain

>thinking nobody knows anything about ancient greece

They did have faggots back then, you'd fit in.

LOL, never change Veeky Forums

Real Greeks shit wherever the fuck they want

His face was ugly, that sure but I don't know how his body was looking.

Plato on the other hand was definitely Veeky Forums

for my more well read anons.

I am interested in the writi gs of classical philosophers. Specifically those dealong on cynicism, nihilism, and ethics.

Any suggestions? About to order some Nietzche online.. anything else

user, how dumb are you Jesus fucking Christ

>not understanding that philosophy is the direct opposite of getting brainwashed
Where you born this stupid? Or did the roids cause it chad?

By that logic nobody has ever done anything of worth because somebody else would have just done it anyway.

i think he just meant nunchucks

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but it sounds like you might enjoy the stoics. "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius is a pretty light read.

If that's the case, then there's an extra layer of cringe I didn't even notice. I really hope he didn't.

god tier bait

>my boy Diogenes
>wanks where he wants
>shits where he wants
>lives in a barrel
>dogs like him
>sassy as fuck

Literally full-time trolled all of society for years including Alexander the Great and Plato. 10/10

>katana
>nunchucks
>inner strength
or
>katana
>bitcoins
>inner strength
seems pretty obvious tbqh

You're probably right. I've never heard nunchucks called blockchains, so it didn't occur to me.

Here, have another badass on the house.

Couldn't Socrates spell?

You really couldn't have just said hierarchy? You had to be a neckbeard?

he was likely a fatty who basically did desk work all day

Probably, but he also had some gyno.

this is a g00d p0st friend0

i can't believe i had to scroll this far down

socrates was famously ugly, weird, and married to a bit of a mule. he spent a lot of time walking around so he probably wasn't fat, but he preferred the academy over the gymnasium so he certainly wasn't athletic or muscular

it's you cowards don't even into college

OP's pic is early in his life when he didn't unlock his final form.

Pic related is him later in life.

I dunno, but if that statue is anything like him he hella thicc

Reminder that Socrates fought as a hoplite in the Peloponnesian fuckin War

CAN YOU STOP FUCKING SPREADING THIS QUOTE, SOCRATES NEVER SAID IT

THAT'S NOT EVEN A STATUE OF SOCRATES, FUCK YOU

Kek

Diogenes was a good devil's advocate. Socrates is the GOAT, tho.

bait to good to be wasted on Veeky Forums

I do it all the time, it's great for gains

>SOCRATES NEVER SAID IT
I know that Xenophon isn't as reliable a source as Plato, but he's still a source.

Romans>Greeks

based trips of philosophy cultivate truth

>399 BC
>not drinking hemlock with whey before doing SS (starting symposium)
shiggy diggy

the what

>some primitive ancient relic of a human
Ist very sad that you can not understand how those men lived. They were free, they were no consumers, they were no concern with getting Money to buy something to eat, or buy stuff so other like them, they were no brainwashed, they had time themself and this is why they were capable of doing what they've done.
They very possible where the Peak of human mental capability.

But yeah, you sure are better from them on every Level possible... user

>a bunch of gay old Greek dudes
>look better than you
>are stronger than you
>are smarter than you
>are being loved more then you
>are fucking more than you
>are being praised

you sound a bit salty user of a Taiwanese loli Anime loving bord.

but muh technology is happiness lel

really? i didn't knew that and i lived and went to School couple of years in Greece.
Have you salsa on that?

False equivalency, that quote gives a rational. Socrates advocates to exercise until you can no longer become more aesthetic, because otherwise you miss out on the opportunity. This quote doesn't apply solely to physical fitness, it can extend to anything to which you can see how successful you can be. He's pretty much saying shoot for the stars while you still can. The only thing the quote doesn't directly providw is why missing out on your true potential is a shame.

He fought at Delium, Amphipolis and Potidea.

The general he served under allegedly had his life saved by him at Potidea. They were also very close personally so, grain of salt, but it gets mentioned by others that Socrates fought well.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socrates#Military_service

SLAYER GLUTES

I swam countless times in the beautiful Waters of Potidea.
Thank you user

Socrates was a hemlock guzzling chump.

What a mongoloid, Jesus Christ.

You're welcome.

I messed up my timeline though - the guy Socrates saved was not in command at Potidea, but would later go on to become a general.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcibiades#Early_years

I am 100% sure this guy is from the US

Being a demigod doesn't work like that in those stories. Herakles had to earn his immortality by a variety of initiatic ordeals. He was very strong, but that's not all there is to it.

Reccomendations for philosophers/writings/stories/books ect. that dabbled in training and/or becoming all you can be? Not looking for self-help shit

just wanted to add:
"why the fuck were the Athenians fighting in Potidea. I'm half greek Macedonian and i find it bad that the Macedonians did not help the Potideans...
The Athenians won that fight, but lost the War against the Peloponnesian League, Yes!

Where are you from mate?

How to get an ass like this? Squats and deads are not enough

and imagine now the Spartans that dedicated their life to battle, or the Macedonias that were referred to as Barbarians from the Athenians, and conquer the known world at the time.

We must find a way to revive the hellenic Spirit all over the world!

>I'm half greek Macedonian

from where in macedonia?

It's complicated. Basically the Peloponnesian War was a huge clusterfuck. There were two big blocks of alliances, one led by Athens (the Delian League) and one led by Sparta (the Peloponnesian League). Basically some smaller conflicts spun out of control and brought everybody into the fight. The specifics are super messy, but I'll give you the tldr.

At the time the big city states had a bunch of colonies and tributaries all over the place. Potidea was a colony established by Corinth (allied with Sparta), but the colony itself was a tributary to Athens.
Another colony of Corinth named Corcyra rebelled and the Corinthians lost a naval battle to them. Corinth began to expand their fleet to take down Corcyra. To avoid being taken Corcyra decided to get a defensive alliance with Athens, famous for their huge and powerful fleet. At a later time, the Athenian fleet intervened in a battle and prevented the Corinthians from exploiting a victory over the Corcyran fleet (which they were only allowed to do by the terms of the peace treaty if the Corinthians meant to push on into Corcyra, but the situation was murky).

Afterwards Athens asked Potidea to tear down its walls and send hostages to Athens to keep them from rebelling. The Corinthians promised to support Potidea if they did choose to rebel, and were secretly smuggling men and weapons to help defend the colony from an Athenian attack (which they were not allowed to do as per the peace treaty). This led to a battle at Potidea, as well as a very expensive and long naval blockade and siege by Athens.

I'm from Denmark. I'm not a historian but I'm interested in ancient history. "Lords of the Sea" by John R. Hale is a great book about the athenian navy and has a very thorough description of the Peloponnesian War.

Are you Macedonian?

Derp, of course you're macedonian. You said so - my bad! Reading too fast.

It's sourced by Xenophon but it's taken out of context. He's having a discussion about how men should do military service.