It's time to renew le dumbbell vs barbell debate

It's time to renew le dumbbell vs barbell debate

lemme see you dumbell squtting 200kg

Bench for reps. Dumbbells for weight.

Barbells better for safer incremental loading and measurable progress.
Dumbells better for everything else.

Nonsensical comment.

le dumbbells
>better range
>better chest activation
>safer
barbell
>you can load a more precise amount of weight
unless you have adjustable dumbbells in which case use those

But its actually the other way around.

BB for Strength
DB for Hypertrophy

Barbell for strength
Barbell for hypertrophy
Dumbell to hit the small stabiliser muscles

I love both, though I prefer dumbbells because more people are near the free weights than the barbell benches so it nets you more mires when you get into the big boy section (110 -150 lb dumbbells).
It's a great feeling when you are incline benching more than the guy next to you is flat benching.
Also, when you make the walk to replace your weights your arms look YUGE.

Imagine being this insecure.

I see you don't lift in the big boy™ section.

Haha yeah...

How are dumbbells safer?

not op but one reason is that if you fail a rep on DB bench you can just put the weights down.

If you fail with dumbbells, you drop them to your sides. If you fail with barbell, you drop it on your neck.

Only thing where the BB is better is that you can easily unrack it thus it's easier to get in position with way more weight than DB. With DB you're wasting a lot of energy just to start your set. But than this BB is superior. This is true for almost any exercise.

barbell all the way, i can't really progress with dumbells, i'm at 90lbs incline bench but i can't get more weight in position without someone helping me, so i'd rather use a barbell
>failing at DB bench
if you can get them in position and can't lift the weight there is something really wrong with you

I meant other than this DB is superior. Fuck

For me, I only did reps on barbell and had the hardest time going up any weight. I got into dumbbell for a few weeks and my barbell shot up by almost 30lbs (3-10 reps)

>dumbell
Sicc range of motion
Fully activates chest
Actually works stability
Easier to isolate the muscle
>bar
???
Looks cool?
Makes cool noise when thrown around like chad.
Muh higher weight

How is this even a debate OP

>bar
Needs more space
More expensive
Tough guys in the movies always used it

Clearly better pal.

I think the assumption is that you get to a certain rep and can't get it up all the way and can simply lower your arms down and drop it. Also, getting them into position is easy, just prop em mid thigh, lean back and kick them up.

IT'S BOTH.

IT'S FUCKING BOTH.

DON'T RENEW THIS SHIT FOR THE 9999999TH TIME.

This. Barbell for main work, dumbbells for accessories.

you mean the other way around you tard

i bench 60kg for like 5 but with dumbells can only do 15kg for 10. Is that normal?

A dumbbell can't decapitate you.

Both at the same time, dumbbell strapped to feet and barbell in hands.

Why do people refer to dumbells by the weight of one side rather than the total weight?

Also how do I find out how much the bar weighs.

literally never been decapitated by a barbell

Fucking watch me cunt

a scale

BOTH SERVE A SIMILAR PURPOSE BUT RELY ON SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT MUSCLES FOR MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY.

ONE IMPROVES THE OTHER OVER TIME.

THE CORRECT ANSWER IS TO DO BOTH, RETARDS.

REAL QUESTION MY NIGGAS

For dumbbell press, should I do it on a bench or on a floor? I never go deeper than 90 degrees and doing it on a floor seems safer for my shoulders. A friend of mine ripped his rotator cuff because he dropped the dumbbell wrong. Is there anything lost by doing dumbbell press on the flood as opposed to doing it on a bench?

>having a debate when it's a matter of which exercise better reflects your gym goals
For what fucking purpose?

>I never go deeper than 90 degrees and doing it on a floor seems safer for my shoulders

lol what?

If you want to do floor press that fucking bad just use a barbell, dumbbell floor press is retarded. Also if you're benching dumbbells that you can't bring in, sit up with, and then set down you have no business using that weight. At high weight throwing that shit down while you're on your back is asking for an eventual injury.

>if you can get them in position and can't lift the weight there is something really wrong with you
>90lbs incline bench
Reminder that these are the people giving you advice

Wouldn't it be the other way around?

Dumbbels for upper body, barbells for lower body.

Barbells for even reps/sets, dumbells for uneven reps/sets. Also, you can only use one of them for excentric or excentric movements per session. Barbells must be used while standing up, and dumbells are to be used when you're sitting down. Inhale every rep using dumbells, and every fourth rep using barbells. On your off days, you use fake weights. Simple.

That sounds like a challenge

Roll of shame

Literally the other way around baka

With dumbells you get much more ROM but you have to stabalize the weights so you cant use as much weight.
With barbells the weight is already stabalized so you can load up much more weight on it and build more mass.
You should do both.

My chest is my biggest muscle and people constantly comment on it. I only do DB.

No debate use both