You fuckers lied to me. You guys said starting strength is an absolute must for beginners and here I am...

You fuckers lied to me. You guys said starting strength is an absolute must for beginners and here I am, 4 months later and I'm nowhere near close to this body. Meanwhile my friends who are on some meme routine like PPL look noticeably better. People ask if I even go to the gym and all I have to show for it is saying I can deadlift almost 2 plates.

nice b8,

2 plates on dl after 4 months?? step up kiddo

>4 months of ss
>still cant hit 2pl8 diddly
theres no way this isnt bait

2 plates lol

if aesthetics are your goal starting with SS is pretty dumb tbqh

Faggot, you need a strength base otherwise you don't get gains

>ppl meme routine
Stay dyel mad faggot beta cuck

PPL is a great routine.

I usually start with heavy, low rep, barbell work. Then move to lighter, high rep, dumbbell work. Then end with some arm isolation on the respective days. A nice mix of PPL, strength and hypertrophy training, is a great way to look good and be strong.

t. 3/4/5er

>strength base
please remove yourself from the gene pool

If you can't curl without flapping around your gonna have a hard time going for hypertrophy.

what the fuck is that even supposed to mean? what the fuck are you rambling about? you dont have to graduate from mr rippletit's school of doing fuckall before you start training properly. strength progression is a continuum. at all times you should strive to ensure its optimal rate in safe and balanced fashion. and it sure as fuck wont be optimal nor balanced on a dogshit program like SS. you'll only get good at squatmornings. no wonder 3 plate benchers are some sort of mythical beasts on this board. every successful coach, be it powerlifting or general physique preparedness in sports, has his novice trainees utilize higher volume, wide exercise selection, and healthy dose of assistance. it is only fat as fatass lazy fuck amerifarts who think an average of 4.5 sets of bench per week with no upper back work nor arm flexor isonation will ensure optimal and balanced body development. i dont even pity you you dumb fucks, anyone with more than two braincells to rub together should be able to tell SS is a fucking joke from taking a single look at it.

>meme routine like PPL

Who the fuck told you this, you dumb dyel? Fucking Frank Zane did PPL.

>dogshit program like SS
So exactly HOW is gaining 5-10 lbs of weight per week on the majority of your body from only 4-5 compound lifts dogshit??? Not to mention Mark Rippetoe has decades of experience and is a world-renowned coach
>upperback work
SS recommends pull ups as a bonus
>arm flexor isolation
oh I get it, you're just a curl bro who wants his 4x12 bicep curls so he can have big juicy arms and nothing else

thats a lot of text just repeating
>im retarded
very loudly

please stop posting fitness advice

SS isn't for becoming good looking although it will actually do that if you're doing it right. Its to give you a solid strength base so when you start a split you're not benching 60 lbs

Everyone I know and myself included did brosplits. I can't believe people actually do a program like SS it's just common sense lmao

Mark Rippetoe is a strength coach. You gain strength on his strength program and little more. You won't be small from lifting 500 but you won't necessarily be aesthetic

PPL is higher volume. You spend 4 days a week sculpting things above your bellybutton, which is great for people who want to have a great upper body. If you skimp on legs you turn into Johnny Bravo but I'd take it over having a subpar bench/ohp after blowing my energy on squats and looking like a centaur.

I didn't have any lats until I hopped on PPL. My numbers might not be going up as fast as they'd be on SS but at least I look better than if I went with SS.

>higher volume
you're only working out each muscle group 2 times a week. compared with SS and stronglifts which hit every muscle group 3x a week

PPL you might as well be doing cardio

kill yourself you absolute mongoloid. rippletits has been a failure of a powerlifter turned failure of a coach who has never produced a noteworthy athlete. ss itself is a bare bones skeleton of a program taken verbatim from power to the people by bill starr, wherein it was meant as a basic guideance to weight trainign for football athletes, hence the presence of power cleanand drastically low volume, seeing as athletes were already putting a lot of physical strain due to their football training. as a staple beginner routine for healthy young males its asinine. pullups arent even included in SS up to at least 3rd edition. a lousy 3 sets to F appear only in practifcal programming but that is besides the point. horizontal row is by far the most important pulling movement in the upper body department and an absolute must as a counterweight to heavy bench. curls should be done by everyone regardless of goals, if anything for the joint health after heavy presses. even rippetoe himself has a boner for one of the best exercises of all time - the lying tricep extension, yet he failed to include it in his program, as he did with many worthwhile movemnts, because fears the imaginary overtrainign boogeyman based on long outdated 1940's lifting literature on which he was hilariously called by jamie lewis and others. the people who should worry the least about overworking at the gym do 9 sets total of actual lifting and call it the day. fucking hilarious. there's plethora of actually worthwile programs out there yet people still continue to fall for this ancient meme.

With how many sets? SS is 9 sets a day. My current variation of PPL I'm doing a minimum of 17 (legs) and a maximum of 28 (pull).

>IF I SPEND 20 HOURS IN THE GYM 6 DAYS A WEEK I'M DOING MORE WORK THAN SS :))) aLSO BTW IM ON STEROIDS LOL!

>4months on SS
>2plate deadlift

you fucking what mate?

YOU CLEARLY HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT LIFTING, PROGRAMMING, OR MUSCLE-BUILDING IN GENERAL.

For starters, you CAN'T sculpt a body like pic related in just 4 fucking months without steroids.

Did you even read the sticky? Fucking hell man.

Okay NO WHERE in Starting Strength, if you actually fucking read it, says it's meant for only football athletes. He literally said that any healthy male adult can follow it.

Horizontal row is replaced by deadlifts and the pulling portion of power cleans.

>Curls should be done by everyone regardless of goals
No one fucking wants oversized, unproportional biceps unless you're a legitimate competitive body builder or your job somehow involves bicep curling everything

>Lying tricep extension
Because he knows that heavy benching has enough work on triceps

>Imaginary overtraining
You're totally right if I work out for 9 hours and then go to the gym the next day to do the same exact workout I totally won't kill myself from exhaustion

Most brosplits are shit unless:
a) you are on juice
b) you train every single day, so stupid-ass things like training every muscle group just once a week don't happen.
I refuse to believe anyone with huge chest, that they actually achieved this full natty and doing chest once a week.

>world-renowned coach
What elite athletes has he coached? What sports teams has he trained?

Rippetoe is a failed powerlifter turned "strength guru" whose only claim to fame is figuring out that an absolute beginner who eats a ton of calories over maintenance, doesn't care about appearance, and does low volume high intensity training 3x a week can gain a lot of strength in the squat and deadlift and some in the bench very quickly.

>SS isn't for becoming good looking although it will actually do that if you're doing it right
Give ONE example of someone who looks halfway decent from SS.

>the absolute fucking state of an SS drone where you cant even tell if its being serious or not
either you're brain damaged or deliberately refusing to comprehend a single paragraph. i dint say SS is reccomended to football athletes you mouthbreater, i said it was lifted directly from a book for football athletes. deadlift cannot replace a row anymore than bench can replace a vertical press and powerclean is entirely diferent breed of an exericse. its obvious you have no concept of kinesilogy or anathomy for that matter but at very least as some twisted mockery of a human being you should be able to FEEL which muscle is being targeted by a movement in question. an appropriate amount of curls will not result in an uproportional bicep - completly neglecting it will result in an unproportional biceps; though its good to see you're already developing a coping mechanism wherein you're superior to those curl bros and your twig arms are only a testament to your deep commitment to the strength oriented training, your sub 2 plate bench nonwithstanding. though im sure all that """heavy"""benching would have resulted in some sick tricep gains. make sure to drive your obesity stroller to and back from the gym to avoid overtraining.

>90 mins a day, probably best 90 mins of the day
>look good
>feel good
>enjoy training

all things you can only imagine

and he says that he was doing SS where?

on Veeky Forums anything that isnt a 6 day brosplit is SS.

>god tier lighting and angling
>literally zero specifics on his program or training history

The lifts he says he only does are basically SS plus two bodyweight movements.

CUT FIRST

NO ONE CARES HOW MUCH YOU CAN BENCH

>bench
>circles his nonexistent pecs
>squat
>circles the faint etching of a 4 pack in overhead lighting in his bathtub
Is this b8?

This as far as getting women numbers mean jack shit its all about asthetics

You forgot to do MADMILK too. Thats the key

So today was my 2nd day in the gym and I love it. I want to go every day forever. Are rest days a real thing or are they a meme? I feel like I have the energy and motivation and don't want to stop. Is there a program that lets me go 7 days a week forever?

You need recovery. There are programs like that but if you don't do steroids theres no point as you'll just overtrain. Once you put a bit more weight on the bar you'll be glad only going thrice per week while still making optimal gains

lmao duh that's why you add in bench on shoulder day as well. I swear people don't realize you can add whatever you want to a brosplit.

What is the best legal steroid?

>people actually believe this

I train 6 days a week with my main lift being 9 seta I recover just fine

Ok so you're telling me you can gain muscle from lifting 10 lb bicep curls?

If you can only curl 10 pounds, yes. And once you can do that, move up to 15 pounds, them 20, then 25, etc.

There's no magical "base level" of strength you have to reach for your body to unlock the ability to build muscle.

Hell I'm still gaining from my 10s when I use them in my hammer curl dropset

Its not about weight, its about muscle fatigue

If you are struggling to bench 65lbs, your chest will get fatigue and will grow to lift 65lbs

You dont need to build strength to build muscle

You can do both at the same time

Do you HONESTLY believe you can get big benching 65 fucking pounds?? You're not going to progress doing 10 reps of 65, you will progress doing 5 reps of 95 and then building it up 5 lbs a week from there.

This argument is hilarious . I think the ss guy is a tard and split dude is on adderall or something

Got me to laugh out loud, gj

I don't agree with the adderall man's means but I agree with his ends

Congratulations, this is the dumbest fucking post I have read on this board in my two years of lurking

what routine would you recommend for a beginner?

The first exercise is probably 5 sets of amphetamines

If you lads actually read the fucking sticky, you'd know that the actual recommended beginner routine is """Starting Strength""" -- a routine which is essentially

xAxBxAxxBxAxBx

A:
>3x5 Squat
>3x5 Bench
>1x5 Deads
>2x5-8 [Weighted] Dips

B:
>3x5 Squats
>3x5 OHP
>3x5 Barbell Row
>3x5-8 [Weighted] Chin-Ups

So literally As the dude said, as long as you're eating right and training right, strength does indeed = aesthetics.

If I wasn't 20% bodyfat right now I'd post a fucking picture of myself. I literally look like a fatter version of and even that is just my own damn fault for drinking too much alcohol

20% is at least enough to see definition

Post a pic SS man. Full body pls

can I do SS as well as extra exercises for my arms each time, like shoulder presses and vertical rows?

look at the massive progress this dude made on SS

and this is an "athlete" coached by Rippletits himself

just fucking lmao @ strength training

Just do smolov senpai

> Power to the People
> Bill Starr

Now I know you know what you're talking about.

2pl8? Lmao 2pl8

There's literally one difference between these guys and someone impressive and that's bodyfat percentage

Rippetoe himself has even gone out of his way to clarify obvious stuff like "GOMAD is not for the obese or those with high bodyfat; it is for the underweight or very skinny individuals who need to gain useful weight".

There's even an article, linked in the sticky, where Rippetoe explains that someone with a high bodyfat percentage already has an anabolic environment to build muscle, so a huge calorie surplus is not required and should not be done. You people and loads others are eating 5000 calories a day at 25% bodyfat and then complaining when you get fatter, all because you didn't use your eyeholes or correctly monitor your numbers.

The link in the sticky (Sean's blogpost, linked as 'Starting Strength' under beginner routines) details everything about accessories, what to do and when to do it; fuck it just literally breaks down everything you need to know.

I think the idea is to not stay at 65lbs forever mang

I wouldn't ever dare asking someone to take "progress" pictures for me, let alone tell anyone that I lift.

your obsession with the weight you use is dumb as fuck

nobody except other men at the gym actually give a shit what weights you use

a guy can bench a semi truck but nobody outside the gym would look at him twice if he looks like shit

sorry, thanks

There's nothing impressive about these guys. I see centaurs with small upper bodies and giant love handles. I probably look marginally better than these guys and I'm DYEL through and through.

b..but they can bench a lot

>your obsession with how other people think of you is dumb as fuck
>nobody except other men at the gym actually give a shit what you look like
>a guy can be fuckin cut but nobody outside the gym would look at him twice

ftfy

>4 months later
not even 2 plate diddly

Your not doing the program.

>There's even an article, linked in the sticky, where Rippetoe explains that someone with a high bodyfat percentage already has an anabolic environment to build muscle, so a huge calorie surplus is not required and should not be done. You people and loads others are eating 5000 calories a day at 25% bodyfat and then complaining when you get fatter, all because you didn't use your eyeholes or correctly monitor your numbers.
Fucking this

>this is what powerlifters actually believe

I bench 185 and I'll probably squeeze out 190 next tuesday. Doesn't really mean jack when talking about size.

Those are some massive quads tho, ngl

We know we do it for the lads. We accept it.

So to should you.

my gym doesn't even have a bench rack with a proper bar, just a "vertical bench" machine, should I ever bother lads

Dont be sorry man just lift and eat right. All you ever need is right there in the sticky, every piece of advice that doesn't say "read the sticky" should be completely ignored
>centaurs
You mean t-rexes? Squatting 3 times/week sadly doesn't give you an extra pair of legs. And their legs aren't even disproportionate.
>small upper body
It's proportionate, though. Most DYELs have shoulders the same width as the hips, or sometimes smaller. These dudes at least have a wider upper body than lower body (minus the fatty love handles of course)
>fat love handles
Hence what I said about them being high bodyfat. Losing fat is easy as fuck; building muscle to look decent without the fat is the hard part. Unfortunately you can't build muscle without gaining fat, and you can't lose fat without losing muscle. What you can do is the most efficient, and that's to progress in strength consistently in order to build muscle and useful bodyweight, then to maintain that high strength while slowly losing the fat that you gained in the process.

what the fuck is that thing

how do you not recognize an elite strength athlete when you see one

dude obviously looks like he doesn't bench 65lb

how can it simultaneously be true that 1) you can't lose fat without losing muscle, and 2) you can maintain strength while slowly losing the fat you gained building muscle

>All you ever need is right there in the sticky
But what if I want to look good?

How terrible is Phrak's GSLP?

If you're a noob, which, if you're on SS, you are, you can most certainly lose fat without losing muscle. This is evidenced by the fact that if you lift 135 and you're morbidly obese, losing all that weight isn't going to preclude you from making that into 145. And unless you're OHPing it'll be a very easy transition to make.

Spend time in the gym and play sports. It worked for Chad, it'll work for you.

Those knees look like they belong on a fucking corpse.

Because it's entirely possible to lose a greater proportion of the total weight in fat than muscle. You can gain 50lbs and 25lbs of it is muscle, then cut 40lbs of which 15lbs is muscle and 25lbs of fat. At the end of it you have 10lbs more muscle than you did before, and this shows in that you can lift heavier weights than you could before

More strength = more muscle. This is the truth, irrespective of the outside world. Genetics and/or steroids mean yes, Chad can have huge muscles while benching only 90lbs. But Chad would have bigger muscles if he benches 135lbs instead. This applies to you, and everyone else too. Your muscles might not be as big as Chad's at 90lbs bench, but your muscles at 135lbs bench will be bigger than your muscles at 90lbs were.

So let's say you gain strength from 90lbs bench to 135lbs, and gain bodyfat from 20% to 27%.

So at 135lbs bench you decide to cut slowly. A mild deficit, 500 below your TDEE, and lose 1-2lbs a week while still lifting around 135lbs. Even if this 135lbs goes down to 120lbs, as long as you are lifting more at 20% bodyfat than you were before, you will have bigger muscles and look better as a result.

The sticky explains this aswell.

I'm just assuming the other guy is skinnyfat/chubby

You absolute fucking retard. SS isn't for aesthetics it's for health or preparing for a labor intensive job.

>Losing fat is easy as fuck
No, eating a lot and hoping you gained as much muscle as you can everytime you weigh yourself is easy as fuck. There's a reason why there's a whole powerlifting general and a bunch of fat fucks who end up giving up and never posting on CBTs because they want to keep eating while doing a very minimal effort routine.

Compare SS to a typical high school sport conditioning practice (e.g. wrestling or crew), SS is a fucking joke because you're sitting on your ass for more than half of the workout resting and then only doing 5 reps.

Also it doesn't make any sense to recommend a beginner or novice who wants to look better by telling them to get really fat so their numbers can get bigger and then hope to god they can cut so they can have a small marginal strength advantage against someone who did PPL in the same amount of time.

>hates broscience
>spews broscience
Another one memed

agreed mang

Creatine. You can use monohydrate rather than ethyl ester.

Who is the name of this handsome swole asian? for research ofc :)

dude, it's the "strongest shall survive" by Bill Starr.

Wilson Lai

why is ss a meme? why is it legit?

What's an alternative to the SS meme?

juggernaut beginner programm