/PPL/

Is a PPL routine any good Veeky Forums? I see it come up here a lot and I've heard good things about routines like this.

>is it any good
No it's not good, it is the goat natty routine. PPLPPLx literally sicken gains.

I love it. I've exploded with gains on it. Probably helps that I'm a manlet though

It is the best. perfect combination between strength and aesthetics.

It is the best routine, feels good too. Even good for beginners, SS faggots need to off themselves

PPL's only disadvantage is that it requires you to commute to the gym 6 days a week.

Im doing a 4 day variation because I want to hit every group twice a week but dont have time to go 6 days a week. Basically push/pull with squats on push and deadlift on pull.

Worked out pretty well, made great gains on it

best routine for a natty lifter

>with squats on push and deadlift on pull.
Squat/DL before the main routine of the day or after it?

Not same user but I'd say go for before. Always start off with a compound barbell lift

Before, on push day its something like this for me:

>Squats
>Bench
>Incline Bench
>Dips
>OHP
>Lateral Raises
>Random Tricep Isolation

I must admit tho that doing Squats/DL before main routine can be tiring but hey, still beats having to go to the gym 6 days a week

I regressed and lost muscle and gained bodyfat when I switched from a Full Body to a PPLxPPL in my 2nd year of lifting.

I did FB for my first year, was pretty strong for a noob (60kg press for reps, 100kg bench for reps, 130kg squats for reps, 170kg deadlifts for reps).

Since I was strong enough to do a bro-split I decided to do PPLxPPL, and yep - lost gains, lost strength, and gained bodyfat.

I was also feeling mentally/physically drained from lifting 6 days a week, I think that contributed to stress which may have caused me to regress in terms of muscle/strength and the bodyfat gains, since my calories/macros were still around the same.

Maybe it's just me personally, but my body doesn't respond well if I lift more than 3-4 times a week, so I'm pretty much forced to do a upper/lower or full body.

Oh, I'm in my 6th year now of lifting btw.

My experience with PPL was in my 2nd year.

I did try PPLxUL recently, and that was still too much days in the gym for my body to recover properly.

I've noticed that most people who do PPLxPPL are people that are pretty weak...so it's hard for them to actually really do much damage to their body lifting 6days a week when they only DB press 80's or whatever.

Mate PPL is always better than FB or UL because you get more rest, that's the whole point. I think you went ham on the accessories and burned out.

>Mate PPL is always better than FB or UL because you get more rest, that's the whole point

I don't understand. How is having 1 day off per week more rest than having the 3 or 4 days off per week you get on a U/L or FB?

I personally felt very under recovered while running PPL. I still felt like I was under-performing on every single PULL and LEGS day on PPL. The muscles you use for pull day are still taking some load on push day. Even more importantly is how much muscles being used on pull day impact on the following legs day. Doing weighted chins/pullups, Rows, and other pulls (or even deadlifts if you do deadlifts on pull instead of leg days), then going into the gym again the next day and doing Squats/Deadlifts etc with a back that was just trained the previous day...........the squatting is going to suck because your back is just trained the previous day with a lot of exercise that impacted on your posterior chain.

That lack of recovery is why I regressed on PPL and lost size/strength on it.

I don't give a shit about what the best routine is, all I know is it sucked for me. I'm not here with some autistic love of Full body or any other routine, I'm just detailing my experience with both routines and comparing it. I've always felt recovery was the absolute best with full body routines, never had an issue with it.

My statement still stands though, I've RARELY ever seen anyone who has decent strength levels ever do a PPL 6 days a week and say it worked out for them. I can think of like 1 or 2 people on Veeky Forums that are like that, and they're both (openly) on steroids lol.

all these people saying that theres not enough recovery time on PPLPPLx what would you suggest instead?

My routine

Upper/Lower split. PPLPPLx is too much volume for natties and if you're a roider there are better programs out there.

Too much volume if you're a pussy

>he actually thinks lifting all that light weight bitch weight shit counts as volume

dyel

ABABABx

A=Chest/Shoulders/Tricep
>Bench
>OHP
>Incline DB bench
>Lateral Raises
>Tricep Isolation 1
>Heavy shrugs
>Tricep Isolation 2
>Abs

B=Back/Legs/Bicep
>Deadlifts 1x5 (Only on first A of week)
>Pullups
>Barbell Row
>Leg Extensions SS Seated calf raises
>Bent over DB Row
>Leg curls SS Bicep curls
>Shrugs SS Standing calf raises
>Abs

SS obviously mean superset, main compounds are 3x5 unless otherwise stated, isolations are 3x8-12 with weight increasing when i manage 12 solid reps

Changed to pplpplx after SS and a madcow cycle.

Physically I looked great but for strength my top sets became a real fucking struggle which bothered me, and I eventually lost strength.

I'm now on a 4 day/wk Texas Method routine for the big lifts while adding accessories. I respond much better to that style of training.

I've seen what guys turn into on a high volume pplpplx on cycle, explosions in size, but as a natty I prefer having accessories built around strength programming for the big lifts.

Highly individual imho.

>I don't understand. How is having 1 day off per week more rest than having the 3 or 4 days off per week you get on a U/L or FB?
Easy. Picture a full body routine in your mind, whatever your favourite one is.
Now split the exercises you'd do on that routine into 6 days.
There you go. Now your 5x5 bench isn't affected by your 5x5 squats.
I suggest making enough recovery in PPL.
Sample routine I always post:
PPLPPLx
>Push 1
Bench 5rm
OHP 3x5 @90%
Dips or incline DB bench 3xF superset with facepulls 3xF
>Pull 1
Weighted chinups 5rm (treat them like a barbell lift)
Chest supported rows 3x5 @90% (chest supported to keep low back fresh for tomorrow's deadlifts)
T-bar rows or lat pulldown or DB rows or Kroc rows 3xF
BB or DB curls 3xF
>Legs 1
Squat 5rm
Deadlift 3x5 @90%
Leg press or rack pulls from mid thigh or split squats or walking lunges or stepping lunges 3xF superset with Hanging leg raises or windshield wipers 3xF
>Push, pull and legs 2
Alternate the first two lifts

Would doing a 3 times per week PPL program be any good or should it be 6 days?

I'd do a different routine. PPL works well because of the amount of times a week you'd be doing compounds for each body part. Stretching that out over two weeks would be sub-optimal

What about 4 times per week? Say something like Push - pull - legs - push for week 1 then Pull - push - legs - pull for week 2?

You *should* be training everything 3x week. Doing PxPxLxx trains everything only once. Way suboptimal

>You *should* be training everything 3x week.
2x week*

What about PPxPPLx?

What about it?

Is it sub-par or would it be good for building sweet gains under time constraint?

If your time constraints are this specific that you can't allocate 6 days to lift but can allocate 5, then do it. If I had 5 days to train, I'd do PPLPPxx LPPLPxx PLPPLxx