Why don't people squat ass to the grass...

Why don't people squat ass to the grass? Whenever I'm at the gym and there's someone in the squat rack they just drop maybe 1/4th or at best 1/3rd of the way then go up again

Why are people afraid of squatting deep?

Other urls found in this thread:

otpbooks.com/stuart-mcgill-hip-anatomy/
youtube.com/watch?v=Av3LO2GwpAk
youtube.com/watch?v=tPo5gpVrA9E
youtube.com/watch?v=g1fc8VygrS0&t=303s
youtube.com/watch?v=Fob2wWEC72s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They're afraid of failing the rep or hurting their knees when they're actually causing more damage to their knees by squatting high.

If they don't goto parallel or below, they're just shit at it
I physically can't go past like 5deg below parallel, working on mobility to get ATG. There are a lot of western people who can't without stretching

I can only hit parallell. Thats maximum ROM for me. I will never squat atg. My pelvis hits the thigh right below parallell

Never seen anyone squat deep in my gym except for myself.

The only other person I see using it puts on the same weight as me but has like half the rom, and his feet aren't far enough apart, its like he's trying to sit in a chair rather than squat.

I think the issue is that it can be hard to keep form with DEEP squats, and people just want dem numbers.

Also, it doesn't feel good to have to go down in weight in order to improve form. It feels like taking a step backwards.

because its HARD normies like to take the easy route

I struggle to go below parallel, I have very tight ankles after breaking the left one. Mobility exercises don't seem to help.

I would like to go ATG but just can't.

Also other people just don't know proper form, or had their heads filled with bullshit like squating deep hurts knees as my own gym "coaches" say.

to be honest i've noticed that at least 50% of people seem to want to avoid working hard at the gym, they lift weights that are like 50% of their actual 5RM or 10RM and just lift it up and down, obviously not straining that hard. Maybe just because the machines have little diagrams saying what to do, and most people don't know shit about fitness, these people think that if you just move your arm up and down like the machine says with a bit of resistance then you're working out.

Same with squats, people just going up and down but you can see in their face theyre not straining much. It's only people that are obviously actually into fitness that track their weight progression each week, make sure to load up to 80% of 10RM, etc. I generally go by the judgement that I should very nearly fail the last rep of each set, and have to really use willpower to finish it. If I do it easily I up the weight next week, if I fail the last rep I keep the weight as it is until I can manage it.

anyway tl;dr people don't like to actually work hard

>tfw can only do about 30kg ATG
>leg press is nearly 100kg for 10 reps but back and core are letting me down
>progress on deadlift is making good lower back gains but not fast enough to get my squat any higher

my squat stance probably needs work, but my knees are kind of weak too, so i cant go ass to grass

It's hard to stay balanced doing ATG with much weight desu.

I'm DYEL and am just getting into routines and stuff like that. Been trying to go ATG, but sometimes struggle and fail. Guess it doesn't help that I'm 5'9, 125lbs, but I'm going to keep trying to finish my sets with good form, even if it means going down in weight

If you cant add weight every session at that stage then you arent squatting correctly.

Good point
>you can see in their face theyre not straining much
I almost never see anyone making the "holy shit I'm not gonna get this last rep kill me now" face. 90% of the regular population of my gym is
>cardio bunnies
>old people
>guys who don't give the tiniest shit about anything but the size of their arms
At least the squat rack is usually available whenever I need it since barely anyone does squats

I think there's an issue with not wanting to be seen to struggle. As if that isn't the entire point of the gym.

Honestly by the end of a lifting session I'm covered in sweat, huge pit stains, red as fuck, fighting to catch my breath. Everyone else just seems to walk in, chill out doing almost cardio tier sets, then leave within a half hour.

>tfw going to ultra normie wageslave gym during my lunch breaks

A lot of people literally can't due to hip genetics. In parts of Ireland and the UK as much as 15% of the population have deep hip sockets, these people can only just about reach parallel in their squat. In other populations e.g Eastern Europe and parts of Asia people tend to have very shallow hip sockets, as a result of this these populations dominate Olympic weightlifting due to their ability to produce power from the bottom of a deep squat.

otpbooks.com/stuart-mcgill-hip-anatomy/

Same, If I don't stretch my heels come off the floor when I get to parallel.

>I think there's an issue with not wanting to be seen to struggle.
That's stupid. People are stupid.

When I see someone struggling to hit that last rep, with their face about to explode, I don't think "lol look at that weak faggot". I think "dude, respect".

Y'know I actually never considered the possibility that for some people it could just be super hard or outright impossible to squat deep due to how their body is made

I think is right though.

is this like the new version of "i hurt my back so i can't squat bro"?

For a while I thought it was because people lacked the mobility like I did for a while, but then I realized it's a combination of laziness, and some belief that squatting at depth is hell on your knees. I know it couldn't be farther from the truth, but most people seem to get their fucking knowledge from Facebook and Dr Oz these days

This shit again

Mandatory Veeky Forums videos
youtube.com/watch?v=tPo5gpVrA9E

Not everyone can. But everyone should strive to get the most out of his potential

All I know is that squatting atg makes my knees pulse for hours afterwards while parallel does not

Honestly I felt super weird at the athletic club the first few weeks. I was grunting and making weird strained facial expressions as I struggled on seemingly lightweights. Not many people do that. But now idgaf. going to the gym is like getting high, i crave it at the end of work everyday and I only go 4 days a week.

I sadly can't squat due to a car wreak that broke both ankles and left thigh in car wreck years ago. No ankle flexibility. I stick to the leg press and sumo DL

glad you made it out user. at least you can walk again

>be me
>only ATG squat because alan thrall told me to
>work up to 5x110kg in and always going atg using bounce at the bottom
>felt great
>find out all powerlifter cut depth and only go parallel because you can lift more weight
>try it out
>get to 5x135kg in no time
>try after two months try ATG squatting and using the bounce reflex
>can barely lift 115kg for a single despite getting stronger

If you stop doing it or never did it in the first place, it's hard to go ATG. The deeper you go on your squats, the more you'll retain your mobility. But once you start cutting depth your body adapts to that and it's hard to switch up. Cutting depth to egolift is not worth it unless you're powerlifting. You're just destroying your mobility.

I personally only squat atg on my leg hypertrophy days.
I try and hit parallel with heavy weights because i'm a powerlifter and it just makes sense to get my body and muscles more use to parallel because it is a lot easier than atg.
It's easier for me to keep my muscles tight and have better form on parallel than going atg, i lose balance very easily on atg.

Thank you for posting this. People need to get educated.

I broke all the major bones in my ankle about five years ago, did my own PT, and can squat ATG no problem.

Mobility exercises will definitely help. Most physical therapists are absolute shit so if you went they probably fucked you, m8.

I'm in a lot of regular pain but you get used to it. Suffering can make a man great but the trials are not easy. It's been 7 years this august and I'm just now getting ahold of my life and creating an upward spiral.
Pic is where I was sitting

This

You'll learn more from watching that channel for 60min than all your time on Veeky Forums
Thanks to the user that linked it, its definitely one of the most underappreciated fitness channels on youtube

I personally have problems with the butt wink when I go ass to grass.

Not everyone can mechanically. It causes buttwink in most. I did my last session and my squats were becoming slight goodmornings, though I'm trying to barely break parallel, it's quite hard because I feel like I'm not going low enough when in fact I'm going too low.

I hope you are squatting high bar, right? There's no reason whatsoever to squat low bar unless you are competing.
You'll lift less, but thats ok. You leave your ego at the gym

No this is the new version of biological reality. People are different, faggot.

man I have a home gym and no safety bars and nobody to spot me, i have to be so careful when squatting. I feel like i'm not even getting any fucking gains because I'm playing hardcore mode and can't afford the slightest fuck up. I try to go as deep as possible one time I almost didn't make it back up but the terror of the situation actually gave me a boost to clear the rep lol. i'll see you niggers in snapcity.

do high bar and learn how to bail faggot

It seems like I heard somewhere that ATG hyper-extends your lower back, and during heavy loads it can fuck up your shit.

Any anons confirm?

Pls be london

A good case can be made for not going too low below parallel. Among other reasons:

1) using the bounce at the bottom to get back up doesn't actually help you work the muscle more; stopping around parallel and pushing up from that dead position does

2) unless you're very flexible, your lower back can round when going ass-to-grass, increasing risk of injury

fucking ace thanks internet gymbro, thunder-thighs here i come

>go as deep as possible
>try to get back up
>can't
>lean back and jump forward
>??????
>profit?

Have deep hips but I can squat atg

I can't believe someone can survive that, was alcohol involved? You're one hard bastard user.

youtube.com/watch?v=g1fc8VygrS0&t=303s

I sure get attention when I squat, I go deep and give no fucks. I tried just going parallel and it hurts my knees too much.

There's only one other dude who squats low like I do and I haven't seen this guy in over 6 months

Because I can only keep my back straight to an inch below parallel so there is no reason for me to go any deeper and risk injury

fuckin a dude thats the plan, slightly worried about snaping my wrists when i drop it though so gotta watch that shit might practice bailing a bit with the bar

Apparently I'm the only one at my gym who squats deep. To the point where people apparently as the guy who squats ass to grass.

I'm not sure how to feel it desu. I asked a guy for a spot and he was nervous about it because he couldn't squat low enough even w/o anything on his back to spot me properly.

Butt wink

holy shit dude, i was tensioning my serpentine belt when my brother though it would be a good idea to start the car and it ripped my index finger clean off (actually wasn't clean it was pretty gnarly but) your story is way more badass though.

I have shitty ankle mobility, and I can only squat below parallel by standing with a stance so wide it almost qualifies as sumo. It's one of my weakest areas.

Butt wink, rather get good gains and squat heavy than to hurt my back and look cool infront of manlets

personally i don't because when i used to do so i fucked my knee up and now have reduced mobility

Because they think people give a shit how they look at a gym and only care about squatting big weight

When I see someone half-assing their squats in order to be able to put more plates on the bar I don't admire their impressive strength, I think they're faggy tryhards.

i gots knee problems due to falling on it as a kid like twice every day. i used to have constant knee pain till about two years ago. i assumed they were just growing pains but not it still clicks and crakcs hard when i bend it all the way. doesn't hurt or anything but it kinda ruins my balance and hurts if i'm contracting my muscles hard ( like in squating heavy ).

anyway that's why i don't go atg but i still go below parallel as much as my mobility allows it

I'm just starting lifting, and I'm starting at very low weights for everything and I'm still not sure if I'm squatting properly, my friend who doesn't know much says I'm going parallel, but it feels like I'm going forward too much. I can't lean back anymore if I try

Hmm let's see.

Because squatting ATG has no benefits except for Olympic lifters, doesn't suit most lifters due to anthropometry, and requires a certain level of mobility that the average person doesn't have?

I fell asleep driving. Stayed up late the night before moving up my junior year of college. Cruise control at 75mph into a try. Just drifted off the highway.

Average person not being able to atg is fucking bullshit and you know it you lazy cunt.

squatting is the worst exercise, only nerds care about squatting

It's not bullshit. At least in North America. People have different hip depths, for some people they literally can't squat deep without back rounding that will injure them.

I squat atg but im fking dyel stuck abit above 2pl8

i'm 6'5'' so it hurts my knees to go all the way down, parallel is about as far as i go, but squats aren't really a priority for me anyways

I'm also 6'5 and I squat fine fagboi
Fix form and mobility

Nah i'm sure i'm fine, there are an incredible amount of other options to hit the same muscles as squatting without fucking my knees up

Squatting doesn't fuck your knees up my man. It improves them.

I fucked my right knee up a couple months ago by squatting, was using fine form according to a form check and even tried using box squats instead, i guess i was adding weight to quickly because the taller you are the harder it is to squat heavier

Question, what is it about ATG that's beneficial to Olympic lifters that's not beneficial to the average person?

So you can't move your knee anymore?

The power from a deep squat position is important for the two olympic lifts - clean & jerk and snatch.

Did you do high-bar? That fucks up the knees

below 90 degrees is fine, ATG is all good and well for lower weights but going into heavier territory no one ever goes ATG for reps because it is dangerous.

It takes just the wrong movement to lose balance, it would mean clean form every time which is never going to be the case when moving up weights which means potential for injury.

ATG is good for your 80% of 5 once you know what that is, but moving up in weights and doing ATG is never a good idea.

yeah it felt almost like i was pulling downwards on the bar rather than using my arms to push upwards

absolute correct answer.

ATG squats are not mechanically efficient let alone for the average person.

>inb4 but I squat 95lbs ATG!
No one cares faggot try actually putting some weight on the bar

For strength, what is best, high bar or low bar?
Not powerlifting strength, but making your legs strong for general health and other sports.

?!?

It depends what angle your knees are at when folded tight. The higher the knees are, the better.

Depends...

Lowbar trains more muscles, but you're not limited to one exercise...

Do either low bar squats, or Highbar squats + Romanian deadlifts. Choose what works best for you.

Is it normal to get hip injuries doing ATG? I was doing some a couple of weeks ago and injured my right hip and still haven't fully recovered.

I do either squats or deads at the start if my workout. Is that enough leg and lower back work?

This.

Depends what you mean by "enough".

Highbar squats + RDL's replace lowbar squats, but as you said you just want general develop I guess deadlifts and highbar squats are ok too. Maybe add stiff leg deadlifts or rdls if you feel like it

A bit of butt wink isn't really a problem, just keep at it and it will work itself away eventually

>pelvis hits the thigh
what?

>I can only hit parallell. Thats maximum ROM for me.
that's bullshit. every human is capable of squatting atg you just need to practice. you think people in third world countries don't break parallel when they take a shit?

wow man you just made a lot of my life make sense thank you

I do high bar squats and go about parallel or a little below. I used to do ATG but I think I kept butt winking because my lower back would have some lingering pain in it afterwards, which doesn't happen anymore after cutting depth

youtube.com/watch?v=Fob2wWEC72s

Also nice drill to find your ideal squat stance in here (8:34).

The average person doesn't compete in the snatch. High bar full squats are used by weightlifters to develop leg strength and positioning in the catch position of the snatch.

The rest of the public will almost never need strength in a full squat position. Half squats are the only competition squat (PL), and quarter squats have more carryover to the majority of sports.

I'm guessing that most people aren't willing to use the puny 5 lb weights they would need to get back up when they go that low. People wanna believe they're stronger than they actually are.

my center of gravity sucks, going ass to grass always makes me feel like im going to fall.

That's called improper bar positioning and grip.
Fix your form out or you'll fuck yourself up worse.

Form.
If you're teetering on your toes the bar path isn't straight.

I go to a small uni gym in wales, where most of the people there are rugby players. Its the polar opposite - I have to wait for upwards of 30 mins to use a squat rack, any other piece of equipment is free within 10 mins.

i dont have the mobility to go atg without my back feeling like shit afterwards and i dont care to change it

same, I have pretty bad buttwink and I can't even increase my mobility because it stiffens up again at work
I took a few weeks off work to fix it and it reverted shortly after, now I don't even squat and just use the leg press as my main lift for legs

I go AtG but my stance is way narrower than in this Pic. Is there an issue with Narrow vs Wide stance squats?