Hey Veeky Forums. Out of shape guy here. I want to start losing weight, better diet, then start making gains...

Hey Veeky Forums. Out of shape guy here. I want to start losing weight, better diet, then start making gains. I'm not gonna ask where to begin since the sticky seems like a good start, but I wanted to ask for more personal advice, anicdontes and what not.

I was also thinking posting weekly updates with pics and having you guys shitpost me for motivation, would that be someone you guys would enjoy?

Never come here so sorry if this is considered a spam thread

>I was also thinking posting weekly updates with pics and having you guys shitpost me for motivation, would that be someone you guys would enjoy?

no, honestly, imagine if everyone did this. if you really want it you can keep a spreadsheet logging all your progress (bw, bf%, lifting PRs) and post here after 6-12 months.

Yeah that's why I asked, no idea the board etiquette here. Thought it would be fun to be Veeky Forumss little pet project

I think they do that in the /fat/ general.

Cool thanks dude

Cut and bulk rules don't apply to you yet. If you are starting out you can use the power of noob gains to gain muscle while losing weight.

Explain noob gains? I figured some cardio to lose weight and help increase my stamina would make a good starting point. I want a well rounded regiment instead of just lifting for glamour muscles

If it helps im not a huuuge fatty, I'm 6, 210 ish with a physical job so I'm not completely a sensitive lifestyle. No real muscle definition and a gut

Noob gains magic is the process that can last up to half a year where you don't eat enough protein, your diet is on a cut yet you still make PR progress in the gym.

Also here is another tip: start lifting ASAP if it's your goal in the end anyway. There is a good chance that you will spend months or even a year hopping between programs until you find what suits you, until you are on your ideal program your progress will be slower.

I like that pepe and his cat

Great stuff here thanks, I planned on not lifting till I lost the weight as kind of a clean slate and be able to track my pounds lost easier. So I'll be sure to mix it in.

Another newbie question I had was about weights. I'm interested in getting some kettle bells. How do I find where to start weight wise? Something that I struggle to lift? Or something I can get a couple curls out of before my arm gets to tired?

If you are a starter imo the best way is to literally just pick up different weights and feel how heavy they are to you, judging by that you can roufly determine the weights used for your exercises, if you want to do curls buy dumpbells, kettlebells are really not ideal in that scenario, if you are at the gym and watn to do barbell curls start with the ez curl bar, that way you can determine the distance between your arms better

Thanks again for all the advice if your the same guy. I always hear joe Rohan spout off about kettle bells being a good all around thing for many diffrent workouts so I'd figure it be a good first investment to have around the house.

I think my biggest hurdle is going to be actually making myself go to a gym after work. I hear it gets easier and you look forward to it after a while though. Figured Bella would be good if I just stay home

I am the same guy,
1. Kettlebells are extremely overhyped imo, only use them for lunges, but not even because they are especially good for lunges (i could just as easily use dumbbels) but because they are directly next to the calisthenics area of my
gym,
2. As for motivation: Motivation has always been a big issue for me, I always felt like lifting but I never wanted to make the trip to the gym (which was about 15 mins), after I switched to a gym clsoer to me that became a non-factor and since then I rarely ever miss workouts.

4. There are two ways to approach it, the first is to try to make the gym your routine so it becomes normal for you. the second is seeing every workout as something individual and hyping yourself up for every individual workout. For me the second approach worked best but you really need to see yourself what works best for you.

As for when to go, I personally go to the gym in the morning because I feel like its a great way to start the day (and also because I am too autistic to feel comfortable when the gym is very crowded), for some this may however not be possible because of schedule.

A somewhat weird tip: if you didnt already sign up for a gym, I would recommend going to a small local gym instead of a big chain gym, the admosphere is much more personal and because of the lower traffic the receptionist actually remembers you and on which days you usually go to the gym, that way if I am not motivated on a day I just think about hwo the receptionist will wonder where I am (works suprisingly well)

Thanks, and I like your point about the smaller gyms, I was kinda leaning forwards that just to make it seem more real and not some faggot who got a planet fitness membership in January for muh resolutions

And yeah I'm afraid my autism will affect me if it's a crowded gym but afternoon/evenings is my only option.

when do you need to show up at work if I may ask?

It varies, currently my shifts are 5:30am-2:00 pm and that leaves me a couple hours of being alone before the gf comes home. It's kinda what pushed me to do something. Sitting at home with vidya waiting for her to come home.

The majority of my year is working 7-3:30. I'm an electrician so some days can be pretty labor intensive so motivating myself to work out after a hard day will be key like I said earlier

I have trouble going to bed ATM so pre job workout will be tough since I already get up at 4am. Hopefully a less sugary diet and excersise will help with the late bedtime thing

Me too
Post more cute pepes

Terry crews (old spice guy) had the best advice. Always go. Even if you dont lift and just shuffle around, you need to get in the habit of slogging your ass to the gym come hell or highwater.

Good luck

oh well I have school at 9 so I have the luxury of going early, if you go to the local gym it won't be crowded at any time of the day, having seen both my rule of thumb is busiest time at the local gym=early morning in the chain gym

threads like this should get deleted on sight but

this

track your progress like ypu were collecting scientific data

pictures, spreadsheet with measurements (weight, waist, chest etc sizes)

secondly
Short term achieveable goals, not only when it comes to lifting, also weight gain/loss

totally agree with your second point, concerning your first point: I feel like collecting so much data can be overwhelming for a beginner, because of noob gains you likely also have your linear progression as a tool for measuring effectiveness of a workout

This actually is really good advice.

The difference between a successful fitness regimen and a failure paying for an unused gym membership is that the former makes it going to the gym routine, a habit rather than a burden.

Yea I've never been on Veeky Forums before, I lurked around on my lunch break and now see this is all shit that would belong in /fat/ and QTDDTOT. But thanks to everyone who gave advice and chatted with me. It's been a very useful thread for me