Looking good, man. What kind of martial arts do you practice?

>looking good, man. What kind of martial arts do you practice?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Szr5cLdvhvM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

cock fights

Boxing, I do 12 rounds daily after lifting.
Almost always on the heavy bag, a bit of shadow boxing, very rarely with a partner (spar/mitts).

I jack off a lot.

I fuck your mom and beat her to death aftetwards

BJJ. Been rolling for about two years. Still a white belt, but I know some of the contrabands that can cripple people.

Judo

The martial art of seduction.

Krav Maga

all the submissions can cripple/kill people you dope.

you tickling them??

I mean the actually banned ones. Heel hook, calf slicer, and the like.

My nigga.

I've stopped lifting for boxing.

Heavy bag is my only form of resistance training these days. I judge how hard I hit against the sound it makes on the bag. I'm so close to that Mike Tyson power it's unreal.

>banned ones
in some competition levels yea
i seriously hope your school doesn't focus solely on competition and also trains takedowns/standup and actual streetfight defense tactics

I don't want to turn this into a striking be grappling debate, but how do you roll on concrete and broken glass?

Anyone has a chart for getting into a martial art?

I've been practicing Nanto Seiken for 3 years. I haven't had as much time for lifting, and lost a bit of strength, but at least I can kick ass in a fight now.

Are you 70 years old? do you think you'd break a hip if you fell to the ground??

We've done pretty much all of the basics. Standup, takedown, and clinch. It's not just ground game. We don't do any striking though, so I'm thinking of picking up Muay Thai in a couple of years.

We're mostly sport, but most of it has actual uses.

Not that guy, but it depends on the level of the takedown. A good double leg onto concrete can give you a hell of a concussion.

You accept getting cut up and bruised in exchange for beating his ass? Also, don't roll against a guy with friends around, especially if he's a nigger. The moment he starts to lose you'll get kicked in the head.

No. But I don't want broken glass in my back. Nor do I want my head stomped on by a bystander.

>inb4 90% of fights go to ground

I can help you. Are you a manlet or tall?
I. E. You got good reach?

If not a manlet, then striking. Otherwise grappling.

Do you want to keep lifting?
If yes go grappling.
If no go striking.

The approved grappling stuff is bjj and judo.
The approved striking is boxing and muay Thai. Maybe sambo if your instructor is legit.

Anything eastern other than those, avoid like the plague. Stuff like wing chun, tai Chi, karate etc. Avoid.

As a general rule of thumb, if they don't have full contact sparring, don't bother.
On the other hand if they only do full contact sparring, don't bother either.

Think about it like this: You start standing up. If you train grappling, not only is it easier for you to stay standing up, but you'll know what to do when you're on the ground.

>On the other hand if they only do full contact sparring, don't bother either.
Why not? Never heard this before.

I watch anime. I'm sure I could use one of those fighting moves in real life.

>yfw the move actually works and you end up being charged for murder

>grappling
But i don't want to touch other men on the ground.

None, but I did boxing for 8 years

some gyms train with the philosophy that you fight like you train.
so every session they have their fighters spar full contact.
the fighters get more and more worn out and injured.

you dont learn as much from full contact sparring as you do semi, especially when youre starting out.
plus you wont last as long. fighters from those gyms fight well, but dont last very long, and only know how to fight styles they've seen before.

an example would be learning to parry.
you learn to parry a lead jab by getting the feel of how to parry, then parrying it against a light slow hit, then a light full speed hit, then a heavy full speed hit.
if you are just starting to learn how to parry, and the guy does a heavy full speed hit, odds are you'll miss it and take one in the face.
so you dismiss parries as useless and abandon it, in favour of a strong guard.
but when you come up against a guy who hits hard but is slow, he will hit through your guard, and because you dont know how to parry, you'll get fucked.

I see. Thanks.

judo is more takedowns than throws.
i did it for a bit.

but i prefer to hit people. its much easier and less risky.

Start with grappling and then go into striking. I assume you don't actually want your brain cells getting punched out yet.

Grappling: BJJ, Combat Sambo, Judo, and Wrestling. Greco-Roman is not as good as others in my opinion, but it's fine. Sambo is iffy in most places, but if you can find an actually legit instructor, it's pretty deadly.

Striking: Kickboxing, Muay Thai, and certain forms of Karate and Tae Kwon Do. GSP and Bas Rutten both do Kyokushin, and Bas and Joe Rogan got their start in Tae Kwon Do. A lot of people shit on it, but a lot of it's useful in actual practice.

Most "traditional" martial arts are bullshit. You can pull bits and pieces from each, but overall, it's not worth it to learn. Don't fall for the "death punch" or whatever the fuck they're coming up with nowadays. search up "Bas Rutten fake martial arts" on youtube, and he gives a great breakdown and explanation of some of the shit you'll see.

And don't fall for the "Our techniques are too deadly to spar with" bullshit. If it's so strong that anyone can just kill someone on the street with a touch to the spine or whatever the fuck, you shouldn't be teaching it in the first place. And if you're so advanced that you can kill with a touch, you should be able to not kill too.

Lastly, if you're wondering about the effectiveness of "MMA" as opposed to say Tai Chi, search up "Chinese MMA vs Tai Chi" and watch the results. Similar results will follow for most other "traditional" martial arts.

Good luck.

That's fine, but if they want to touch you on the ground, and you have no way of stopping it, you're gonna end up getting touched anyways. So it's better to just develop it now, and hope that you won't have to use it.

you realize that almost all karate and TKD is semi contact right?
they stop the fight if you hit too hard.

What do you want from me dude? I specified that certain forms of Karate and TKD are worth your time. In terms of Karate, specifically Kyokushin. How much clearer can I make it?

calm down, man. that's most likely some other guy

you realize that TKD originally had hand strikes right?
you realize that it fell out of favour since kicks scored more points and had longer reach right?
you realize that at this point its basically a meme MA right?

fucking casual.

I can't find a school in my area to do kyokushin

anyone know anything similar I could look into? I'd like to do silat too but that's even harder to find

basics is all you need, as they are the most effective
our instructor always says to be brilliant on the basics. a white belts guard pass vs a black belts guard pass may look fundamentally the same, but the the minuscule details that have been drilled in are insane. same goes with the saying "don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong"

> I'm so close to that Mike Tyson power it's unreal.

Sure you are bub

I've noticed that with my side mount actually. I've got a friend at Cait Terra's gym, and he's a blue belt there. Whenever he's side mounting me it feels like he's breaking my face. When I'm mounting him, he pushes me off like a helium balloon.

Been doing Kickboxing for 4 years, recently moved to Muay Thai, enjoying that far more. The competitive scene isn't that large for kickboxing due to its retarded rules. You can ofcourse go K1 but then why not just go Muay Thai completly?

what rules specifically?

Savate. Preparing to get my yellow gloves.

Kickboxing seems to be moving in the direction of TKD. Kicks score more points and are often more encouraged to do by my coaches. Judges seem them more easily and getting like a kick to the head scores 2 points compared to the rest, but if its just a tinsy bit too hard you get a warning. Punches rarely score points unless they are done in a combination that impresses the judges (I.e you dominate the fight). Mind you this is all in low to mid contact.

>Anything eastern other than those, avoid like the plague.

"Wrong."

Ever tried pushing your feet into the mat? Like a calf press. Makes you heavier

wow. bad luck.
do you prefer dutch style or traditional?

Provide a decent argument you fucking degenarate.

I think I have. I've always stuck with "knee in armpit, knee on hip, and underhook on head". If I close my grips, then I can shoulder of justice.

Ye, my last fight I got warned twice, once for putting to much force in to a kick and once for making it look like my hook was about to K.O the guy. The latter also got stopped before the hook even hit..

Dutch style is my favourite, it feels really similar to Muay Thai due to its relation with K1, clinching and all that.

Not that guy, but Kyokushin Karate is pretty useful. Several high level MMA fighters like Bas Rutten and GSP do it.

A personal trainer in my gym does Wing Chun, was trained by the guy who trained Bruce Lee, and could fucking murder your ass.

I stopped all martial arts when I started going to college. They were really fun and all but at the end of the day you can only have a few hobbies and I decided lifting was a better choice.

Full contact sparring? I've done it a few times but it's not really that rewarding except that you get your ass beat by some guy whos like 1 or 2 weight classes above you..

Not that guy, but the guy at your gym was not trained by Ip Man. And even if he was, he'd be fucking sixty or seventy something. It wouldn't be hard to ground and pound him.

>Bruce Lee
Ip Man trained Bruce Lee and he died in 1972, nice b8 m8.

>tfw you admit you'd get murdered by some geriatric fuck

>manlets must stick to grappling meme
Buakaw is 5'9", Mcnugget is 5'8.5", Saenchai is 5'5" and mayweather is 5'8"

This.

Saenchai is also known for going up against people who are taller and even heavier than him.
For example:
youtube.com/watch?v=Szr5cLdvhvM

You know those techniques you drill during your training secessions? You're supposed to use those techniques in an actual fight or competition. The only way to make sure you can do that is to actually put you in those situations. That's what sparring is supposed to do. So if you're getting your ass beat, it means you don't actually have your techniques down.

This does not mean that you should spar less and train more. Quite the opposite. Balance is key.

Lankey cuck btfo

None, I'm just interested in strength.

this. Remember that time when mayweather defeated big show

I was making a point man, most gyms par you up with some bloke whos probably several times better. I only go full contact sparring with two people at my gym who I know I can learn from in that sense.

Well its Saenchai man, hes been a top fighter for over 20 years, ofcourse this newblood would get a beating.

Yes he has been on top for many years because he has dominated. You think another guy that was at least average height or above never came by?
What is your point?

>poor lack of control
>not knowing how to fall/throw correctly

I don't think there's anything wrong with wing chun or karate or whatever.

If you're doing it for fun, as a hobby etc it's fine, even for self defense it's fine, if you are proficient in wing chun or akido you would still wreck like 90% of untrained normies.

Against other martial arts though it doesn't stack up too well, you get mugged or get into a fight with someone with bjj and muay Thai training you'll get fucked up.

So it's a choice

No martial arts = if you are strong you might be ok

Mcdojo martial arts = decent hobby but only useful against normies or people within your sport

Top tier martial arts = can wreck normies, and wreck other martial artists.

The dawn of mma has shown what's useful and efficient, and what isn't.

The only thing unreal is the statement you just made

I'd say that Mcdojos are worse than no training at all. It's better for someone to have no gun than a gun that doesn't work.

I disagree

As long as a tai chi practitioner doesn't try using his moves in a fight, or that old guy that was sending people flying across the room with his "chi" even a pretty shitty martial art is better than nothing.

I agree with you.
If person A learned some bs in a mcdojo and person B just went on with his life and they were to fight, person B would use natural instincts to deliver hard blows on A while A would try some stupid shit and fall.
You have to realize that no one will take a martial art if he knows its shit. If Bobby has been taking karate classes hes gonna think hes unbeatable and use his shitty wheel kick against someone.

is he deded?

lol really?
thats weak shit man. sorry to hear.

ive done wing chun for 4 years.
ive done boxing for 3 years.

I trained legit. under the chu shong tin lineage, who got it from ip man and was with him for the longest. The guy i learned it from trained under chu shong tin directly. I trained 3 days a week, more on weekends.

its useless. it advocates suboptimal techniques, has shitty footwork and is less mobile than boxing. additionally it lacks hook defense. there's a lot more i could go into detail about if you want.

Boxing on the other hand was useful within the first week.
in the end it comes down to strength, speed, mobility and experience. that's all striking is.

if i could do it again i'd rather have 7 years of boxing under my belt vs my current split.
the only thing that wing chun maybe useful for is reflex counterpunching, but even that can be developed way faster through sparring.

yeah dumbass snapped his own neck trying to suplex the other guy into fucking concrete

Grenade throwing

The OP pic has trained in karate and is a fucking beast in the UFC. I can tell they of you're being so broad and just banning eastern styles of fighting then you're retarded. I personally wouldn't participate in them on the simple fact that they weren't made for someone of my stature. 6'4 and 230 lbs isn't too good for wing chun

Get out of here uri

its about the fact they dont ever train full contact. you never know if your techniques are effective or not.

and wing chun works for bigger guys too. it just takes different angles.

Yea but they're all Asians or Americans and these races are notorious for being tiny manlets on average. They spent most of their time fighting other people the same size as them (that's what weight classes are for, after all).

Bruce Lee was a shit fighter any half decent boxer his time would have rekt him.

That much about your shitty trainer.

i have been doing kickboxing for 3 years now but i moved and now that gym is too far away and the closest is a boxing gym..
anyone know the transition from kickboxing to boxing?
am 6'4 220 btw

Masturbation

except he partook in professional boxing matches and won, fuckface

I did Mt for a bit before boxing.

Stance is slightly wider. Hands up always. Never drop gloves below the belt. No kicks, so weight distribution is always 50:50. Clinch range is for hooks and uppercuts only.
Also, if you're like me, your hands are shit. Get better hands through shadow boxing

Do less kicks and more punches

YOURE WELCOME

I've been doing Hokuto Shinken since I was a teen but my teacher is a fag lol

thanks for the advice man
i used my hands more often than legs anyway cause i have super long reach and i just jabbed in the most boring manner so that's probably what i am gonna do in boxing too lol

You realize mike tyson was super high test and lifted all the time right?

About to sign up for MMA classes. Will also buy a punching bag.

who dis

I thought my jabs were good till I started boxing. Then I realised how to do a proper job. Like one that you can knock somebody out with, as opposed to merely scoring or finding reach.

Don't bother. Mma is grappling focused. It's all about the ground and pound these days.

i know the law inside and out and I am not afraid to sue - it is most powerful and jewish of all the known martial arts.

>BJJ for two years
>Still a white belt

done a bit of tai chi here
nobody tries, or is telling you to try, the forms in a proper fight. They're for manipulating balance and solidifying the lowest-attrition, most natural ways for a human body to move. It's a good base which lets you pick up other martial arts much more quickly and effectively
And for those lifelong tai chi practitioners, they're not doing it to be great fighters, they're doing it as a full-on lifestyle choice. think eastern meditation and mysticism and shit

boxing, mma, jkd, dabbled in tkd
>inb4 jkd is a meme
i'll have you know I've won 2 tournaments when switching to a jkd stance

Muay Thai since I saw a documentary on TV about it. I hated boxing but I fell in love with it when I saw men with muscles hugging each other after punching each other in the face.

I love Muay Thai.

None. I lift weights.