How will the future view us?

how will we be our epoch viewed in 70-100 years from now? Discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

etc.usf.edu/lit2go/171/american-short-fiction/3461/rip-van-winkle/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Probably the same way we view the twenties and thirties.

How do we view the twenties and thirties? I’m from Europe and I see them as a time with massive amount of jobless people and the time of radical political movements. Also the second deadliest war happend in Europe. I don’t think you can compare that with our time.

In all honesty (and I say this as a meat eater) they will probably view animal agriculture the same way we do slavery.

They will probably view our lack of seriousness about climate change the same way we view the Holocaust.

That's assuming they aren't wiped out by AI or biological warfare.

The time of (relative) peace, economic turmoil, as you said, radical political movements (one can argue that rise of populism is not as radical as fascism or communism back then) and generally being a inter period between major war (again, arguable)

we'll be blamed for all the stupid stuff babyboomers did.

So people in future are all Vegans?

Meat will probably be grown in vats and we will then backdate our morality just like we always do.

Mutilating genitalia of the mentally ill will be looked at the way we look at lobotomies now.

Holy shit you're retarded
Nobody is ever going to give a fuck about animals' rights, we eat animals to live end of story

Climate change is out the window already, there's no way to slow it down significantly without slaughtering most of the world's population and livestock. It's a political talking point and nothing else

This is poor bait, lad, put a bit of effort in.

As soulless apes, by soulless apes.

I don't think history will survive another 100 years. The Africans will out reproduce us all until society collapses under the inevitable race war scapegoating that plagues zimbabwe.

Stop talking about the future on a fucking history board.

>how will we be our epoch viewed in 70-100 years from now? Discuss

"Why can't we get back to the good old days of the 2010s when men were men, government was small, and women and blacks knew their place? It wasn't like it is today in 2118 where everything has been hopelessly fucked up by libruls. We should go back to those days and if you disagree it's because you're a cucked soyboy"

Subtracting the war, that sounds exactly like our time.
Personally, I think this growing ideological divide is just a preface for a larger conflict. I'm waiting for our Spanish Civil War to show up, and for communists/anarchist/fascist/capitalist gangs to be fighting in the streets. Though I say "start" even though it feels like we're getting a taste of SCW2 with the Syrian conflict and different volunteers flying in to fight with different rebel factions.

>Implying, even for strawmanning your opponents, that post-industrial societies a century apart are subjectively interchangable

Dancers at the end of time.

People will almost certainly be using some other flavor of the moment buzzword to describe the things they don't like, but just like there will still be chads and stacies going to bars and hooking up with each other, there will still be people bitching about the good old days, as well as the occasional kook who argues the older, the more gooder they were.

Read Rip Van Winkle
etc.usf.edu/lit2go/171/american-short-fiction/3461/rip-van-winkle/

Multiculturalism will be viewed as the same category of failure as Communism.
The left will continue to deny that either has actually failed.

The hip conservatism of the early 21st Century will forever be seen as a laughable shitstorm culminating in an absurdity as a world leader that defined this generation as stupid, nihilistic and lazy. This time period will be seen as an embarrassment for conservatives and Americans in general.

CNN literally ran a breaking news story on how Trump got two scoops of ice cream, but yeah, you're right, it's the conservatives who should feel embarrassed.

>implying that's somehow worse than spreading totally unfounded rumors of a Clinton pedophile ring
but did Trump really need that extra scoop?

I'm itching to join the Freikorps and execute some insurrectionaries desu. Time to get an AR while the going is good (they're putting more restrictions on "assault weapons" in my state). Not a Nazi btw, just hate communists.

The middle of the beginning to the end

>he thinks that CNN and FOX aren't both fake news

I don't take fiction as valid argumentation.

Yes, there will always be those nostalgic for the past. But no, that does not mean you can just go and play duplo bricks with 2018-2118 and 1918-2018, because even on a decade to decade basis culture and technology have been shifting far more rapidly in the last 100 years than any other point in history. Segregated militaries, for example, are in no way comprable to Bernie just handing off the mic to BLM back in the last US election, right? So assuming we keep directional momentum (and I see no reason why not to apply that logic to your comparison) it is preposterous to imagine 2018 as a year when blacks were "in their place" because that would imply as big a overton window shift from 1918 to 2018, except starting from the baseline of 2018. And the only ways I think of that drastic a shift ending up make your strawman sympathetic more than anything else.

I think that, within the grand scheme user is looking at here, those are actually small changes.
Inclusivity has shifted, sure, but inclusivity has generally been shifting forward since civilization began. We've gone from the tribe to the city state to the kingdom to the empire to the nation state and now to transnational entities. Which is sensible, because when the we/us gets bigger, it tends to prevail. In the grand scheme of things, integration of blacks isn't very impressive or surprising.
user is talking about broader historical trends and patterns that are more or less inesecapable patterns or archetypes that are produced as a result of dialectics. There is always going to be an edgy counter culture. Maybe it's left or right leaning. But that's just going to be determined by where the dialectic is at. That's a fleeting, ephemeral mask for the true actor at play - the underlying pattern of youth rebellion against the establishment.

forgot to add, for clarity
I am not speaking for , as I am not him. So obviously I don't represent him.

I don't find it all that impressive either. But its a stupid jab that I saw, not some discussion of a broad trend, when I first responded. He'd do as well to compare Spainiards of the 1800's longing for the 1500's to the hypothetical 2118 citizen if that were the case.

西方人的结束

You're correct about the stupid jab at first, but he clarified it with
>People will almost certainly be using some other flavor of the moment buzzword to describe the things they don't like, but just like there will still be chads and stacies going to bars and hooking up with each other, there will still be people bitching about the good old days, as well as the occasional kook who argues the older, the more gooder they were.
Of course, he backed that up with a fucking work of FICTION (as lefties seems to enjoy doing for reasons I can't really fathom). Which is definitely worth mocking him (and anyone who does it) for.

I acknowledged he was correct on that part with the first line of my second reply, so I'm not sure what the problem is. A Hoplite and Samurai are both warriors, but that does not make a Hoplite a Samurai. The "small" things legitimately matter, especially from the perspective of historians.

>I acknowledged he was correct on that part with the first line of my second reply, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
Oh okay. I didn't quite grasp your acknowledgement because it was short, and I am tired right now.
>The "small" things legitimately matter, especially from the perspective of historians.
Yes. Every society usually has a "warrior class" in some form or another. But a historian usually isn't abstracting to the broadest, fuzziest cultural trends. The historian is trying to construct a picture of past, often with as much precision as possible (Annales school a best).

>there's no way to slow it down significantly without slaughtering most of the world's population and livestock

even that wouldn't do a thing, it's happening , there's no stopping it. we just have to build bunker-cities, hop to moon-domes or get on a mothership.

I don't think we can say, because we've never had a period in history so well documented in both its details and it's features, for example you get a hell of a different feeling when you watch a black and white fuzzy soundless clip from 1910 compared to an HD everything footage of anything from these days, without the historical divide considered. Really I think we'll be looked on with far more empathy, connection and understanding than we look on our predecessors.

Either as the heroes that destroyed the old world, or people who kicked the can down the road. Too soon to tell.

like this pretty much

Relic Generation (born pre-2003)
Wealthy, powerful, and super-elderly, the Relics have managed to survive even though the most advanced medical technologies were not available until they were already old. Relics (and their long-deceased contemporaries) did most of the work involved in the surge into space and the end of the early-century technological slump. Most of them look back fondly on the “heroic age” of their youth or first maturity. This generational history gives Relics a sense of personal entitlement – they are very jealous of their wealth and social influence. Although there are few Relics remaining in visible positions of power, they exert vigorous influence from behind the scenes. Most Relics are very conservative in their opinions – although a few influential individuals (notably the Old Transhumanists, some ofwhom are still alive and active in 2100) are quite progressive in sentiment.

Millennial Generation (born 2003-2024)
Millennials were born in the “crisis years” following the turn of the century. As children, they were sheltered from hardship as far as their parents could manage. As adults, they arrived on the scene just too late to play the kind of heroic role that their elders enjoyed. In response they tend to quietly support existing social institutions, emphasizing balance, compromise, and fairness. Until recently, Millennials dominated most public institutions, showing little passionate initiative, concentrating instead on the competent management of society. Today they are in the process of giving way to the following Outbreak Generation.

/thread

>I don't take fiction as valid argumentation.
But what you should take as valid argumentation is that even in Washington Irving's lifetime, people were aware that changes from one generation to the next are extremely subtle and in many cases purely cosmetic

>blablabla end of history blablabla liberals
same arguments that Oswald Spengler used to argue that western civilization was on the verge of Caesarism in the 1920's. Meanwhile, every generation since also believes itself to be on the verge of Caesarism

And I agreed with that point of there always being "good old days" persons. You don't need fiction for that.

I wasn't arguing for the end of history you twat. I was arguing centuries aren't interchangable. If 1918 to 2018 and 2018 to 2118 are interchangable, then the societal direction is also identical and interchangable, and the results would be culminative. What does that look like? I would presume some practically satirical result, which would make your "muh reactionaries" punching ball actually have a sympathetic existence. And I don't give a fuck about liberals, I just think your post was idiotic and pointless.

>I wasn't arguing for the end of history you twat. I was arguing centuries aren't interchangable.
Nobody said they weren't. The point is that historical change happens extremely slowly, and barring some sort of major ecological catastrophe, life will go on, people will still have to go to work, still be blowing their paychecks at the pub, and their views will still be an eclectic mix with no clear sense of consistency.

It's not like every Roman just woke up one morning and thought "gee, I guess we're all Christians now." It was a very, very gradual shift that took centuries to realize, with lots of back and forth between pagan and Christian communities. But in the long run all it really amounted to was a Christian coat of paint over Pagan holidays and traditions and in the grand scheme of things, Life for a Roman in 300 wasn't that much different from life in 400, aside from everybody being a little poorer, and the government a little more schlerotic.

But the question was "how will people 70-100 years from now view us?" The only semi-accurate answer possible is "more or less how we view people from 70-100 years ago". I brought up Oswald Spengler as a perfect example of somebody who looked at the state of society in the early 20th century and thought "our society is in a state of degeneration, our civilization will soon exhaust itself in an orgy of autocratic violence and mass migrations. And every year since, people have made those sorts of arguments, and every year they keep making those sorts of arguments regardless of their validity because people make them based on heuristics, rather than any actual study of the world

That's valid enough. But that sure as hell didn't seem the point of your initial post. I've seen far too much partisan horseshit on this site in the last 2 years, and I assumed it was more of the same.

>I've seen far too much partisan horseshit on this site in the last 2 years, and I assumed it was more of the same.
As did I, which is why I also jumped to conclusions.

Man, I liked Veeky Forums better when /leftypol/ wasn't a thing and /pol/ was just a bunch of nerds arguing about the gold standard in the privacy of their own board.

Agreed. At least we can wallow in our mutual spite together. Hope you have a nice weekend.

>mutual spite
Now that I can cheer to. Happy weekend

>西方人的结束
>Xīfāng rén de jiéshù
>Westerners' ends

Nice. Can't wait for the yellow peril to swallow us all.

01001000 01110101 01101101 01100001 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100111 01110011 00100000 01100101 01101110 01100100 00101110

Isnt the Syrian war our Spanish civil war?