What's wrong with my squat form?

This is my 2nd set, not too heavy, but I still lost balance at a rep. Posting this because last week a very buff guy approached me in the gym saying my form is utter shit, that I'm gonna break my back, etc. without actually telling me what I'm doing wrong.

Veeky Forums help me

who's the girl in the background?

Start by breaking from the hips, not the knees. Also you don't quite hit depth on some of the reps.

Oh man, that bitch in the background.

Your form isn't bad really.
But you aren't going deep enough.

How wide is your stance, you may benefit from widening it slightly so you can sit down more into the squat.
Also push your knees out harder as they kind of rocked a little violently outward at the bottom of some of your reps.

not deep enough

Not OP but I don't understand this. You break from them simultaneously, don't you?

>a very buff guy approached me in the gym saying my form is utter shit, that I'm gonna break my back, etc. without actually telling me what I'm doing wrong
why didn't you ask him? if he's harassing you just report him
there's nothing really wrong in your form

hips, knees and shoulder seem to move almost at the same time.
If anything, he should use a more conservative submaximal 5RM in order not have any insecurities as far as balance goes and maybe he could then try to hit a little more depth with ease

> why didn't you ask him
I had just finished my last set, and the guy was just aggressive and way buffer than I was. Didn't seem like he was out to give advice, but just looking to intimidate me, idk.

> use a more conservative submaximal 5RM
this is 80x5, my last set is usually 100/105x5. Should I lower the weight? I already feel like I have a weak squat as is.

you're correct, you should break from them simultaneously.

OP here, first time hearing about breaking from hips/knees etc. There seem to be 2 conflicting replies. Am I breaking correctly or should I go hips first?

Nothing wrong really other than not going deep enough but that's entirely a matter of preference.

It doesn't really matter how much you lift and you shouldn't really care about how much you lift in comparison to others, lift as much as you feel safe. Better focus on form and on stability now than later. Maybe add core exercises if you really feel unstable. Gluteus and quads aren't the weakest link imho.

the only real rule is that shoulders and hips have to move at the same time. Depending on one's morphology this could mean that you'll break 0.1 ms earlier with the hips or with the knees, but as a general good rule of thumb move everything at the same time. What's important is the vertical axis of your movement (and you're pretty vertical) and that you don't initiate a movement with your hips when your shoulders don't move at the same time, and vice-versa.

I'd say it's almost perfect form
Go a few inches deeper tho

are your feet pointing slightly out? doesn't look like

>hips, knees and shoulder seem to move almost at the same time.
If anything, he should use a more conservative submaximal 5RM in order not have any insecurities as far as balance goes and maybe he could then try to hit a little more depth with ease

kek
OP I think your neck position is wrong thus it pushed the bar path towards your heels
you are supposed to slightly look ahead, not up

Back hyperextended, not hitting depth, no hip rotation

are u breathing and bracing your core tight enough? looks like your just racing through it

your wrists are bent, meaning you're going to be taking the weight of the bar on your hands/elbows if the bar begins to slip off of your back. this can result in serious fucking elbow pain. put your thumb OVER the bar, straighten your wrists, and pull your elbows waaaay back (i.e. tightening the upper back). this ensures that the weight of the bar will be entirely on your back. your hands are there to stabilize it and wedge it on there, not hold it up.

also, look down more.

There is no real problem. Don't worry about varying depths and how they're not exact, just go for the 90 degrees at the knees. The way you do hurt your back is by leaning to far forward putting more weight on your back, or having garbage posture with the spine. Only tips I can give are flex your abs and don't look forward but as high as you can so your chin is up. The buff guy probably saw one bad squat

>90 degrees at the knees
>don't look forward but as high as you can so your chin is up
jesus christ do not listen to this fucking idiot

>don't look forward but as high as you can so your chin is up
That's hyperextension of the neck you fucking retard. You shouldn't be giving any advice on Veeky Forums.

Your head should be aligned with your spine, you should be looking down at the bottom

Your manage to misuse meme arrows and provide quite literally zero commentary, revert to and be proud of yourself.

nah, it should just be neutral
don't look at the sky
don't look at your toes
just bee urshelf

OP, as a beginner your squat form is fine. If it feels comfortable for you, then keep that form but work on making it better. If it feels awkward, keep at it. If its causing pain or just isnt working, switch it up!