Why do people try to "psych themselves up" or try to get in the zone or whatever before a big lift or PR...

Why do people try to "psych themselves up" or try to get in the zone or whatever before a big lift or PR? I've never understood it, either your body can lift the weight or it can't, jumping around, getting someone to slap your or listening to rap music won't change how much weight your muscle is physically able to move.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lPpTtPx40gQ
youtube.com/watch?v=AMowfhlv3CY
youtube.com/watch?v=lXqJN1PyD0E
youtube.com/watch?v=sF0UFPelbEc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You are wrong.
There is a reason why motivation is a thing, and why sport psychologists have a job. The ability to push yourself, even though your body is telling you to stop and you know this rep is gonna be extremely hard.
It's about willpower, and getting "in the zone" where you are mentally prepared to grind out some heavy reps.
You will understand when you actually start lifting heavy

Tell that to the

Having the proper mindset, for you, no matter what it is,, is difference between getting a lift and failing a lift.

>adrenaline does not affect the human body and it's performance

kill yourself

This is a troll or you've never lifted

You can defo wig yourself out before a lift and not pull it and be capable of doing it

LAW

If you understand your own body, and how much you can lift, small changes in your mood will not change how strong you are.

Have you EVER lifted heavy?

this is simply not true. you must be new

Well I've only been lifting for a year and I'm already at a 225 bench, 225 squat, and 250lb deadlift so you can fuck off...

is that supposed to be impressive? and how the fuck are you that unbalanced?

neck urself faget

I lift big when I think about a future of eugenics and a purely white super race.
My lifts suffer when I think about genuine white girls being ruined by niggers.

Building yourself up to the moment prepares the central nervous system to activate all the possible motor units for the lift. You would know this if you ever competed or lifted heavy PR's.

Decent bench, shitty diddly and squat. Anyways, for me when I get hyped it does help me.

Nobody tell him

Different strategies for different people.

I prefer calm and confident rather than loud and extrovert. I think daily maxing helps with this a lot.

it makes all the difference

>be me doing heavy squats
>going for 3 sets of 4
>first set was quite heavy, get it done
>had to really grind the last rep of the 2nd set
>3rd set, unrack the bar, ready to squat
>some cunt crouches under the bar to pick some plates, I didn't even see it
>makes me fail my lift
>get angry af
>he's a dumb idiot so not gonna waste time arguing
>put the bar and weights back in place
>channel all my anger to lifting
>get 5 clean reps and a 6th grinder

thank you based dumb idiot

ahahahahahahaha

Post your stats you dyel nigger

So tired of all you niggers e-statting when I know my numbers are respectable considering I never see anyone in my gym lifting my numbers.

My bench is higher than all my other lifts because I have good proportions for it since I'm 5'6
Bet I get more pussy than you too you fucking monkey

That isn't OP, my lifts are heavier than that. I'm not making out I'm a competitive Powerlifter but I'm not new, or weak.

Youre a manlet too!!!!!! ahahahahahaha pls tell us more

in some lifts it can make all the difference
youtube.com/watch?v=lPpTtPx40gQ

Before the lift I try to achieve a state of nothingness . Then if I complete the lift/set I will go apeshit or woooooooooooooo like Flair

you're physically able to lift a lot more than you usually do at the gym so that's not a valid point against psychological effects on lifting. shit thread.

He's push pressing almost my deadlift. Fucking hell.

Bullshit. You don't see Floyd wearing headpnhones in the ring. Ward didn't need rap to keep him fighting when he broke his hand. It's all bullshit. If you have the willpower, you don't need music or a peptalk.

It's a dumb show some people display either because they're looking for attention or because they lack willpower.

LMAO
M
A
O

So my bench is 225, but my squat and diddlydoo are 355/385.

One of us is doing something very wrong.

What do you mean? He doesn't arouse himself at all but approaches the lift calmly and confidently.

youtube.com/watch?v=AMowfhlv3CY

he's not screaming around like a monkey because olympians learn through the decades of training how to control their temper while channeling up a lift

other example which is even more extreme are tian tao and lu xiaojun in rio 2016 - tian tao failed both his snatches (then got the third one at higher weight), then failed both his clean and jerks (then got the third one at much higher weight)

jej I bench 70kg and diddly 90 after a month and I'm a dyel weak bitch

Yes exactly, calm and confident.

You do this through training, one should never need to reach a state of arousal to complete a lift. Look at Ilya setting a world record, no sound even as he receives the bar and no emotion until the lift is approved.

youtube.com/watch?v=lXqJN1PyD0E

Don't you think that these athletes are jumping up and down, and going ham in their heads 5 minutes before they go out?
They get nervous, like everyone does, and react to adrenaline.
That's why people "get hyped" it's because we'recommend psychic ourselves up for the next minute that will be really tough.

Cuz 90% of it is mental. Sure someone who is not in shape and hasnt lifted is not going to magically squat 666

Any body can graduate from BUD/s if they meet the minimum requirements to get a SO contract.

90% still fail to complete BUD/s because their minds give out before their body does.

everyone can understnad how nervous they'd be in that situation. To get this performance, you need to be in full control of your body. Olympic athletes, through all their hard work, have probably learned how to internalize this "arousal" process. Technique is also far more important (needs to be 100% on point) than in PL

No, this is what happens when you train not to fail. This is one of the key philosophical differences in Soviet and European training as compared to American.

pretty much every weightlifter gets slapped by their trainers before going to the platform

No, it's a european-american divide, you see the same in Norwegian powerlifters. Look at how calm he is as he goes to put more weight on his back than anyone else had ever done in the sport. Training to not fail is the key here, you build the athletes confidence enormously under the bar, lifting an empty bar is the same as lifting a world record.

youtube.com/watch?v=sF0UFPelbEc

>le woman with both broke legs lifted the car to get her baby

That's a cultural difference of East block people never showing emotions. You guys don't even fucking smile on your wedding day.
Whether you are calm and confident or loud and jumping, you are "in the zone". You have mentally prepared yourself for a difficult task, and you will now grind out a heavy as fucking rep. But if you're not there mentally, you will fail.

awww baby needs to listen to some Nike commercials before lifting, how cute

I guess I get it. I hate people who are loud about it. When I'm lifting, especially on deadlift I'll quietly think about whatever bullshit is pissing me off at the moment when I grip the bar.

Screaming increases adrenalin which has a numbing efect on the body that will make the weight feel lighter, its the equilevent of taking painkillers for drilling your teeth

For the same reason lifters smell amonia before a lift. Adrenaline.

In this thread the people who don't lift heavy.

ITP: butthurt banshee

both of you are. Your deadlift should be a lot greater than your squat, not just by 30 lbs.

>lifted a year
>already at stats achievable within 6 months or less

Or Lord I am laffin

BALL SO HARD MOTHERFUCKERS WANT TO FIND ME!!!!!

Speak for yourself femurcuck.

>manlet
>getting pussy

I have bang a hundred bitches. of course you won't believe me but I don't really care either

I think my deadlift is held back since I'm such a stickler for form. I don't even like upper back rounding and try to minimize it.

It's the king man, you don't fuck around when doing a diddly. Snap your shit if you don't pay attention.

Also though, I see lots of competitive powerlifters squats and deadlifts are REALLY close. In my weight class 600/650 isn't uncommon.

To elaborate Haack is in my class at the top and does 650/700 most 1 rm training days. Thats only 50lbs difference so a much smaller % at my low weight.

Maybe my height and arm length come into play as well. I don't think they are too far skewed.

>getting someone to slap your or listening to rap music won't change how much weight your muscle is physically able to move.
Study and science show otherwise.

Aggression triggers Adrenalin release, which literally lets you lift more weight.

>ITS A MINDSET

His tattoo placement always irritates the fuck out of me.

Work your legs more.

This user gets it
Getting hyped is just a fucking meme but if you're always relaxed you will be strong relaxed

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

Your bench is great but the rest is fucked up imo.

Have you EVER done a sport or put actual effort into anything in your life ever? You're a dumbass, sure willpower and motivation won't make a first time lifter squat 3 plate, but it sure as hell makes a difference between hitting a PR and failing it

Dude, lifting is like 40% what you are physically capable of and 60% in your head.

Yeah, and then Blaine Sumner gets hyped as fuck, breaks that record by 10kg at the Arnold last year and broke that record by 5kg at the most recent Arnold on his second attempt.

At the world games he's gonna get hyped as fuck and break that record by 40kg.

You can either swim or drown, pajeet