Veeky Forums literature & movies

Hey Veeky Forums
I've just recently uninstalled and sold all my games to break my addiction and better myself. Can I get some recommendations for Veeky Forums approved books and movies?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikisource.org/wiki/Enchiridion_(Epictetus)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Not just listening to alt-right podcasts

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.

The art of war, by Sun Tzu
How to win friends and influence on people, by Dale Carnegi
The old man and the sea, by Ernest Hemingway

This
This
This
This
This

based Hagakure

Think and Grow Rich

If you are new to reading as a hobby I'd suggest The Lord of the Rings trilogy, paired with the movies. If you are trying to break a vidya and television habit, this is a really good place to start IMO. Every man can relate to the world Tolkein created.

Is it some sort of "book of Veeky Forums"? Realy amazing book.
I recommend " Discourses and Selected Writings" by Epictetus. Just starting it, but so far it is amazing.

First off, good for you.
Now, make sure you invest that money in a good bank.

Second, as far as books go, this is something that I have been thinking about recently and I am still trying to compose a list. Although, I have seen a Veeky Forums reading chart awhile back (saved on another computer; I'm currently traveling).

I would certainly recommend Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, and the Art of War by Sun Tzu.

Before you read Meditations, I would encourage you to read (as it is short and online for free) Epictetus' Enchiridion: en.wikisource.org/wiki/Enchiridion_(Epictetus)

After that Meditations. If you like it, try picking a book on Epicurus' Maxims (the other main Hellenistic school). Then Sun Tzu for a mix.

If you're more philosophically inclined (and have read broadly), the recommendation goes to Sun and Steel by Yukio Mishima.

Other than that, I don't have much right now. I feel at the peak of the Veeky Forums reading list should be Spinoza's Ethics, but I'm still midway through it.

Cheers lads

read LOTR or never get big

>Read Dune
>Conduct yourself as though you were a Fremen (minus pee recycling)
>Succeed

Pain and Gain
Sun and Steel (Sea of fertility series, The Temple of the Golden Pavilion, and The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea as well)
Conan the Barbarian, short stories and 1980s film
Moby Dick
the Odyssey
the Bhagavad Gita
the Tibetan book of Living and Dying

is me.

I would still say read Enchiridion, then Meditations, and if you liked that Discourses. Seneca you can pretty much toss, unless you're reading him in the Latin. He has his moments, but its mostly an uphill battle with his schtick.

I'm finishing Red Mars now, and once I'm done with that I'm starting LOTR.

Ah, Dune is what I should read after LOTR trilogy. From what I've heard, it could have a good place in an unofficial Veeky Forums reading list.

Bhagavad Gita and the Odyssey are solid additions as well, but part of me feels the Iliad is more Veeky Forums than the Odyssey.

>Iliad is more Veeky Forums than the Odyssey.
Iliad is all about one man, his fall and redemption, and his massive gains
plus turning his cuck son into a real man

>tfw watermelon salesman

I mean Odyssey is lol

DELETE THIS PICTURE

Anyways, I'm reading Iron Mind by Randal Strossen. Great read so far, goes into the mental fame of lifting and goal setting. Lots of carry over into other spacts of life.

so is Seneca "nothing" comparing to Epictetus and Aurelius?

Have any of you /fitlit/ scholars read Don Quixote? I have been thinking of picking that up as my next book.

Also, keep it up with the book recommendations!

Currently reading Moby Dick
fucking Pip, man

its good of course but idk how its very Veeky Forums since he's mostly delusional the entire time.

/fitlittv/ board when?

as I Spaniard I had to read it for school, to be honest not my cup of tea. It is supposed to be both a humorous book about a delusional character but also at the same time inspiring as a one man fight against the world but both aspects didn't strike well at all. The humor is old, and since it has been recycled multiple times because of its influential nature as a classic it didn't register much with me. Concerning the one man fight I've got difficulties getting into it simply because of the ridicule of the character and its quest. But it's a classic, supposed to be the first actual work of fiction, so there's a historical interest in the read. You could also just read the first part, which contains the most well known passages and gives a decent look on the whole experience already.

>first actual work of fiction
It's the first "novel" I think.

Aristophanes wrote fictions, for example.

ha yes sorry that's exactly it

No. Don't listen to him. Currently reading letters from a stoic, would recommend

>Meditations

get into martial arts movies

Just don't trade your addiction for another, I'm guessing 90% of people here do nothing but lift and fap in their dungeons

post that chart my man

>The aeneid
Other user told you to read the Greek side of things, this follows Aeneas, a Trojan. Really good shit

>a fine Balance
Tells you how much of a shithole India is especially at the time of partition

>blood meridian
Best Cormac Mccarthy book, essential Frontier core

>the Goldfinch
By far the easiest I've suggested, my favourite novel of the last few years, read this one first. It's really long, follows the story of a stolen painting and all the crime and misdeeds and such that follow it and it's owner.

Can anybody recommend a good read on flexibility and mobility training? I did some pretty high volume prone leg curls two weeks ago like an idiot and since then most of my lower body feels really fucking stiff. Additionally I also developed a butt wink, which I suspect is due to tight hamstring and/or low hip mobility, so I'd like fix it before I start squatting again.

How has nobody mentioned dennis and teddy bear yet

>supposed to be the first actual work of fiction
Mate you know the Odyssey is like 2600 years old? The Iliad is even older but that's loosely based on actual events.

>tfw read that book
>didn't affect me at all
can you even remember 3 statements from that book?

Starship Troopers

48 Laws of Power